Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jabor posted:

The Forge mission has been like that literally since launch though.

It was narrower than Forge. Also Forge is a setpiece map you have unlimited time to deal with. That was a Terror map where the player was under time pressure to rescue civs. If they waited for Advent to cross the bridge or for a safer opening to appear, the civs would all die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey protip, don't leave the Assassin for last, especially if she rolled Mechlord, Blast Shield, Shadowstep, and Planewalker. I was about one turn away from wiping when I took her down :cripes:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

My current assassin is weak to reapers and explosions so I stick a bomb to her butt and it does 24 damage plus whatever damage activated it. :getin:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am a big fan of visiting the bar and hearing what the radio guy has to say.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

A mec shot my templar so hard he died and crashed the game and killed the save.

Sounds like we've achieved maximum :xcom:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This walk in cooler at work here is freaking me the gently caress out. I'm getting flashbacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs4PkkhdDaA

This is what it reminds me of, in case you didn't get it instantly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i72Q1jXnhOQ

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I haven't been in a situation yet where holy warrior wasn't a delightful double kill bonus.

I also love when a soldier faces certain death and a sectoid casts mind control so all aliens ignore the soldier.

Viper hugs also good.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

snoremac posted:

I haven't been in a situation yet where holy warrior wasn't a delightful double kill bonus.
Holy Warrior is a nice buff my sniper sometimes has when one of my wizards shanghais an apprentice.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This walk in cooler at work here is freaking me the gently caress out. I'm getting flashbacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs4PkkhdDaA

This is what it reminds me of, in case you didn't get it instantly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i72Q1jXnhOQ

ahhh memories

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I just had a nightmare encounter with the Assassin. I was doing Blacksite when she shows up so I pull way back to the first building to lure her out and not get any other pods. I'm unable to find her before she gets one of my soldiers and leaps on to the roof. I decide to get everyone line of sight on her by knocking her down with a plasma grenade. This was a horrible mistake. She falls, alright, then starts squirming and bouncing around the map like a basketball just going full glitched out crazy. For some reason no one can see her. She keeps dazing my troops as I frantically look around. I can't see where she's going because she's both invisible when she attacks and runs away. After picking people up about five times now I finally find her and figure out why. She's lost all her animations. The game was just doing her actions, but it was showing me nothing. Only the reactions of my guys. I shoot her and she just stands there, just totally bugged out and stock still. I got so many wounded now because of this glitch. It was rage inducing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Just finished a mission where my entire squad was gravely wounded. How did I not notice that they all slump to the floor at the end of the 'back on the Avenger' animation like they've had the poo poo beat out of them lol

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

feedmegin posted:

Just finished a mission where my entire squad was gravely wounded. How did I not notice that they all slump to the floor at the end of the 'back on the Avenger' animation like they've had the poo poo beat out of them lol

I always find it funny when everyone lurches off the skyranger except one person, usually the sniper, standing at attention like ":downs: we won!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Danaru posted:

I always find it funny when everyone lurches off the skyranger except one person, usually the sniper, standing at attention like ":downs: we won!"

I like when we failed and everyone is sad in the Skyranger

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So can you get an extra resistance soldier and an extra advent soldier on the same mission or is it one or the other? It looks like they don't show up on special missions like Avenger defense or plot ones, which is a bummer.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

RBA Starblade posted:

So can you get an extra resistance soldier and an extra advent soldier on the same mission or is it one or the other? It looks like they don't show up on special missions like Avenger defense or plot ones, which is a bummer.
Yeah, it's possible to have both. Funny story, I got an ADVENT soldier in a retaliation mission and I put him to work rescuing civvies. I bet they must have been confused.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I did the forge last night with one of each but the stun lancer got murdered rip.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I like when we failed and everyone is sad in the Skyranger

This is hilarious in reverse. I had a really bad supply drop recovery mission the other day, activated two pods at once with my C team and only really lousy cover, and evacced with a couple of bad wounds after snatching only a single crate. Except.... apparently securing even a single crate counts as a victory in a supply drop mission, because my entire crew was beaming and patting themselves on the back on the ride home.

Yay, way to.... not quite die, I guess?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Backhand posted:

sounds about right, really

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Backhand posted:

This is hilarious in reverse. I had a really bad supply drop recovery mission the other day, activated two pods at once with my C team and only really lousy cover, and evacced with a couple of bad wounds after snatching only a single crate. Except.... apparently securing even a single crate counts as a victory in a supply drop mission, because my entire crew was beaming and patting themselves on the back on the ride home.

Yeah, I had the Viper King roll out on one of those with an additional pod. I was like nope, and evac'd after the collection of only one crate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How much health do the alien rulers have? I'm getting close to hitting their facilities and I just got plasma rifles/pistols. Covert Ops do wonders for keeping advent progress down

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Danaru posted:

How much health do the alien rulers have? I'm getting close to hitting their facilities and I just got plasma rifles/pistols. Covert Ops do wonders for keeping advent progress down

If you do enough damage they'll run away

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I love endgame WotC/DLC-powered Sharpshooters.

First turn, Sharpshooter Icarus Jumps into position to gently caress up a pod the team found next turn. Game decides an Archon has line of sight without any prior indication. Squad revealed, two pods activate.
Lightning Hands, Faceoff, Serial. Two pods down after the first turn.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

What determines when the rulers show up? They only turned up in facilities in my first veteran playthrough, in my current Commander / Ironman I met each of them on random missions for the first time.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

What determines when the rulers show up? They only turned up in facilities in my first veteran playthrough, in my current Commander / Ironman I met each of them on random missions for the first time.

They start at a random alien facility if you integrate the dlc. If you don't integrate and have the missions off they'll show up whenever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really wish the rulers scaled based on the month you activate them in. I'm glad the Viper King isn't a month 2 squad stomper but now when I run into him I can usually chump him in a single encounter, two max.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Iron Crowned posted:

If you do enough damage they'll run away

Yeah but I want to know how many times I'll see them/whether I can alpha strike them in one go :black101:

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

Yeah but I want to know how many times I'll see them/whether I can alpha strike them in one go :black101:

If your damage is really on point and you have no other distractions (another active pod), you probably can

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

Wizard Styles posted:

I love endgame WotC/DLC-powered Sharpshooters.

First turn, Sharpshooter Icarus Jumps into position to gently caress up a pod the team found next turn. Game decides an Archon has line of sight without any prior indication. Squad revealed, two pods activate.
Lightning Hands, Faceoff, Serial. Two pods down after the first turn.

Just so you know, Icarus Jump breaks concealment. That's what happened there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't believe launching yourself into the sky as a blazing rocket catches the enemies attention.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't believe launching yourself into the sky as a blazing rocket catches the enemies attention.

Gotta time it with a sectopod running through an explosive tank offscreen and killing a member of it's pod as a result

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

I like the implication that enough things randomly explode in ADVENT cities that no one really cares if something else does when you use Remote Start. :v:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Does anyone know what happens if you Skulljack a Codex in a Chosen-kill mission and then finish off the Chosen without first killing the Avatar? I assume the game just gives you another shot at a Codex later. And what happens if you kill an Avatar in part 1 of a Chosen base mission? Do you still get the corpse at the end of part 2?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Narsham posted:

Does anyone know what happens if you Skulljack a Codex in a Chosen-kill mission and then finish off the Chosen without first killing the Avatar? I assume the game just gives you another shot at a Codex later. And what happens if you kill an Avatar in part 1 of a Chosen base mission? Do you still get the corpse at the end of part 2?

Fairly sure you get all bodies in those missions, but to be sure I'd do the skulljacking on a normal mission so it doesn't run the risk of bugging right the gently caress out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Is there some kind of unlock requirements for different experimental grenades to pop up in proving grounds? Or did I just roll Incendiary Grenade four times in a row because :xcom:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Internet Kraken posted:

In my defense, using it doesn't trigger the "This move breaks concealment!" icon you get when you jump through windows etc. to pop up, and in this game of stealthily stomping SPARKs and Reapers doing what they do I clearly can't be expected to assume things to break concealment just because it'd make sense.

That said, it's probably in Icarus Jump's description. :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Is there some kind of unlock requirements for different experimental grenades to pop up in proving grounds? Or did I just roll Incendiary Grenade four times in a row because :xcom:

It's just luck sadly, unless you have a mod on to make it not random.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The first Alien Ruler Story mission is hilarious with a Templar with Reaper. And a Reaper with Banish. And a Sharpshooter with Face Off but I guess that option was always there

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's just luck sadly, unless you have a mod on to make it not random.

Tellingly the emp grenades/rounds are explicitly not random.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Casual drop of info: If ever you really, really want a particular ammo type and don't want to install a mod to choose your proving grounds ammo/grenades, you can savescum the outcome for Experimental Ammo/Vest/Grenade/Heavy Weapons. AmmoGrenade Point of Interests, though, seemingly are set at the point of spawn, so those you can't scum, sadly. Good luck not getting Gas+Tracer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I give my grenadiers tracers sometimes, If they are firing their guns its mostly for shred anyway.