Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
My least favorite sigmarine is the witchhunter, because he looks just like a castellant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
GW put up pages for the Firestorm alliances so you can see what all you can take under each.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Firestorm?N=647457687

Also some of the unboxing videos make the case for charging as much as they do a little better. The map is a pretty heavy duty cardboard and the stickers are all vinyl so they're meant to last. It's almost like a board game you provide the models for.

It apparently plays like a bit like a Civ game with territory benefits, resource management and structure building.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
As much as I like how this sounds, much like Mighty Empires it's going to be near impossible to manage a long term multiplayer board game for most people :/

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God bless online deals. I got the Ironjawz SC box for £37.50. So I managed to get a warchanter, 10 ardboys and 3 goregruntas for less than JUST the 3 goregruntas.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

God bless online deals. I got the Ironjawz SC box for £37.50. So I managed to get a warchanter, 10 ardboys and 3 goregruntas for less than JUST the 3 goregruntas.
That's a decent deal where did you get 25% off? I've always used Element Games for their next day delivery in the past but £37 is cheaper still but then I'll end up buying more.

Going to paint up some Kharadron Thunderers to match the colour scheme that I did the Sigmar dudes and dudette in, and claim they're all part of Hammerhal or some poo poo. Then I'll have an excuse to get some Slyvaneth, and some Elves and and and... (see :/ )

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

richyp posted:

That's a decent deal where did you get 25% off? I've always used Element Games for their next day delivery in the past but £37 is cheaper still but then I'll end up buying more.

Going to paint up some Kharadron Thunderers to match the colour scheme that I did the Sigmar dudes and dudette in, and claim they're all part of Hammerhal or some poo poo. Then I'll have an excuse to get some Slyvaneth, and some Elves and and and... (see :/ )

Dark Sphere is the cheapest I know of in the UK, I'm guessing he got it from there: https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=72539

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yup, it was Darksphere. I find their delivery is usually great too, even the cheapest tier is normally only two days before it arrives.

Once I get that and get it assembled and painted etc, I'll grab the skirmish box. That'd mean I'd have:

A Warchanter
A Weirdnob
15 Ardboys
5 Brutes
3 Gore Gruntas

So that's the best part of a 1k list. These new bundle boxes are so good.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 27, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That's crap. GW has the US market locked down to where retailers can only give 15% off max. Can't even get deals on Ebay anymore, drat it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I saw some gameplay for Shadespire last night and it actually looks pretty fun. I'm tentatively excited to pick it up. Since it's a board game with a fairly quick playtime I may even be able to play a game with a family member or something instead of having to track down the local hams.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pendent posted:

I saw some gameplay for Shadespire last night and it actually looks pretty fun. I'm tentatively excited to pick it up. Since it's a board game with a fairly quick playtime I may even be able to play a game with a family member or something instead of having to track down the local hams.

Yeah, I watched MiniWargaming's runthrough today. It's definitely different from any other game GW has done. I'm not jazzed about the starting factions, but I know why they went with them - I'm hoping that there are additional factions at launch, but I'm guessing there will be at least a month delay, and that they will be trickling them out to keep the hype up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Supposedly it's launching with Ork and Skeleton factions with Skaven shortly after.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Correct, supposedly Fyreslayer Dorfs as well.

Personally gonna grab me some Skellies, drowning dudes in weak, resurectable chaff is extremely my jam.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Correct, supposedly Fyreslayer Dorfs as well.

Personally gonna grab me some Skellies, drowning dudes in weak, resurectable chaff is extremely my jam.

Mine too, which is why I'm going to pick up the (presumably) even chaff-ier Skaven.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Surprisingly, apparently the middle-ground all-rounder faction are the orcs.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I do not believe the Skaven will be launching with the box/2 extra factions.

I wonder how aggressive the release schedule will be.

They are fairly cheap boxes, and only one per faction so if they were smart they'd push out like 10 of them for existing factions

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ork supremacy

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Skaven are coming eventually at least. There's a picture they released with all the various factions that will come out and there were definitely some rat people. Stormcast showed up twice so they may get two releases.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Sigh, I'm totally going to want every faction for this.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Now that I'm home here's the image I was talking about :

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Apparently they're doing an X-Wing with cards spread across the expansion sets.

I mean, you get a full gang per set too, but I'd prefer just to buy my skellies and be done.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

Apparently they're doing an X-Wing with cards spread across the expansion sets.

I mean, you get a full gang per set too, but I'd prefer just to buy my skellies and be done.

Yeah, I have the suspicion that if you don't collect 'em all, you're going to be on the wrong foot with this game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I have the suspicion that if you don't collect 'em all, you're going to be on the wrong foot with this game.

:toot: This is exactly what killed X Wing for me. I just want to drive a cool Y Wing and bomb fools, I don't want cards from three different ships cards to do it.

If they drop Beastmen I will have to get at least that all the same.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/26/make-your-own-free-city-the-easy-way-sep26gw-homepage-post-4

I for one bid thee welcome to Hammeroplolis

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Sigmar's Dorf, a city of dwarves prone to murderous rage, bursts of creative frenzy and outbreaks of cats.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I done goofed. At the last meetup, I brought up AoS Skirmish to the guys, and got about half a dozen interested people. The problem is that I have not played AoS at all, and have zero clue as to how to play it. I know the core rules are pretty simple, but is there a good "How to Play" on YouTube or somewhere? I see a few videos out there, but they're mostly two years old - does it pretty much all still apply, even with the General's Handbooks, or has the game changed enough where those older videos won't be relevant?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh so the cards in the expansions are not fashion specific?

Anyway: https://warhammerunderworlds.com

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rhaegar posted:

Oh so the cards in the expansions are not fashion specific?

Anyway: https://warhammerunderworlds.com

I don't know, myself, but it is a concern I have.

I'm the skeleton with his head in his hands, simply just giving up on everything.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 28, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Phoenixgrand, a major city in the dead realm of Shylish inhabited by deranged Duardin Dwarves and inexplicable Seraphon. A Khadron trading-port built on the site of a great battle between the Dwarves and a strange form of Chaos Spawn bearing enormous tusks and dexterous, elongated noses. The city is known for it's incredible agricultural output of skulls and it's deep, rich mines of also skulls.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I got Skydorf which seems appropriate for Kharadron Overlords. It has an underground darkling coven cult, so it's full of Goth's I guess.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I done goofed. At the last meetup, I brought up AoS Skirmish to the guys, and got about half a dozen interested people. The problem is that I have not played AoS at all, and have zero clue as to how to play it. I know the core rules are pretty simple, but is there a good "How to Play" on YouTube or somewhere? I see a few videos out there, but they're mostly two years old - does it pretty much all still apply, even with the General's Handbooks, or has the game changed enough where those older videos won't be relevant?

Basic rules are the same, Generals Handbook adds additional layers such as Allegiance Abilities and items for pure factions/sub factions such as Order only or Pure Seraphon (some of these are in different Battletombs/codices) and provides the point costs if you're going for "balance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94vU93Rj2yM is a 9 min video that sums it up.

Gist is (I've not played it yet either but I've read the stuff a few times):

- Each round, roll a dice each and the winner gets to pick who goes first that round
- Use your command abilities from Heros/Wizards and/or allegiance abilities (if any). Opponent can attempt dispelling during your turn and vice versa
- Move stuff
- Shoot stuff
- Charge stuff
- Hit stuff, Wound stuff, Save stuff
- Do battleshock test (bravery) roll a dice for each unit that suffered losses if roll + number of losses is greater than bravery, remove the difference in models. e.g bravery 6 unit loses 4 models from its 10 starting count, rolls a 5 then adds on 4 = 9, 9 is 3 more than 6 so take away 3 more models.
- Other dude does the same, then next round

Rend = take that number off the opponents Saving throw.
Damage = Number of wounds a successful wound roll does.
Mortal Wound = Cannot (usually) be saved. (Chaos shields let you roll a dice to try and save on a 5+ but normally not the case)

Think that's it from memory

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

If you're just playing Skirmish to start you will get point values in the Skirmish book so you would only want the GHB for allegiance/faction stuff, which you can easily play without to start.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I actually think that regular AoS is better than skirmish, which is the first and only time I called a mass battles Hams product better than the tiny skirmish alternative.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JcDent posted:

I actually think that regular AoS is better than skirmish, which is the first and only time I called a mass battles Hams product better than the tiny skirmish alternative.

Same tbh. I've been having a lot of fun with Path to Glory recently, but Skirmish just didn't grab me. If it was more like Mordheim-lite I'd be all over it like I was with Shadow War in the dying days of 40k 7th but it just feels flat to me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I figured Skirmish would be easier to get them into the game - there is still a lot of animosity toward AoS (understandably) and I'm surprised I got as much interest as I did.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I've got the books for Skirmish and Path to Glory as my wife might be convinced to play one or the other. For reference she tolerated/sort of enjoyed X-Wing when it was a couple of models each and will never touch 40k, Fantasy (:rip:) ever again as it's too many rules to deal with in multiple places, which I totally get.

For AoS I was going to print the Warscrolls out for a couple of units each and just demo the rules which is why I was tempted to try Skirmish and the option to build the Warbands up gradually to introduce the warscrolls in phases, but I'm thinking Path to Glory might be better as at least you're working with units rather than individuals and in the end it's probably the same number of scrolls, just larger numbers from each. Now I'm trying to think of a reason to not introduce Path to Glory instead of Skirmish?

My only gripe is that I've painted up a shitload of Chaos but the bare minimum of Order stuff as I was planning on Skirmish. So the only downside I can think of is having to paint a load more Stormcast and Seraphon* to make the numbers up.

(* Read this as I'll go out and paint some Flying Dwarves and tree dudes for painting variation)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know, myself, but it is a concern I have.

I'm the skeleton with his head in his hands, simply just giving up on everything.

It looks like there are power and objective cards that are either specific or general. The specific ones seem to be more powerful and and tie closely to your factions strengths.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I enjoy Skirmish but mostly for the flavor of the small warbands and the ease/quickness of play. Its less balanced than AoS and not a lot of meat to it. Wizards and ranged models are very good, and warscrolls that rely on numbers for buffs (zombies, freeguilds, etc) are at a big disadvantage. Unsurprisingly the marquee factions seem to do best (Stormcast, Khorne, Ironjawz)

richyp posted:

For AoS I was going to print the Warscrolls out for a couple of units each and just demo the rules which is why I was tempted to try Skirmish and the option to build the Warbands up gradually to introduce the warscrolls in phases, but I'm thinking Path to Glory might be better as at least you're working with units rather than individuals and in the end it's probably the same number of scrolls, just larger numbers from each. Now I'm trying to think of a reason to not introduce Path to Glory instead of Skirmish?

With the small model count you can play out a campaign of Skirmish in a week, where PtG is a hefty commitment if you are both upgrading your forces over time and adding new stuff. If you already got a lot of models then give PtG a try. The first couple games of PtG are basically 500 point regular games of AoS which is the ideal level for introduction I think.

I'd recommend against the PtG book missions for beginning though, they've got weird/complicated stuff going on. I like using the Open War cards.

Danimo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 28, 2017

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Danimo posted:

I'd recommend against the PtG book missions for beginning though, they're got weird/complicated stuff going on. I like using the Open War cards.

Thanks for the advice luckily I grabbed the deck of cards when the GHB 2017 came out. When I say Path to Glory I think I really just mean a small scale standard game of AoS with 2/3 of units and a hero each, which would be just enough to get the hang of the rules and not worry about missing an ability every other go because I forgot to look at the scroll in detail etc.. Then add in another unit of X next game (if the models haven't been banished after the first one).

Something like:

- Chaos Lord (Bashy)
- 5 Warriors (Hardy)
- Blight Kings (Weirdly)
- Khorgorath (Bigly)

vs
- Skink Starpriest (Magicy)
- Lord Relictor (Pts Padding)
- 5 Saurus Knights (Speedy)
- 5 Stormcast Liberators (Smashy)
- 5 Kharadron Grundstok Thunderers (Shooty)

450pts Chaos vs 460pts Order. I might ditch the Relictor in favour of either an Arkanaught Company or some Saurus Warriors (but I'd need to get some), and grab a Chaos Sorcerer so either side can use spell unbinding.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the wonderful city of REGALOPOLIS! Residing in the plane of Aqshy, enjoy the breathless vistas of our multi-tiered city as you take in the exploding landscape and breathe the fresh(ly) ash-laden air!

Tired of eating the same old foods? Not to worry! Thanks to be home to a multitude of species, REGALOPOLIS has three distinct sectors to fill your belly.
- Drink deep from the barrels of Duardin beer in the Dwarven District.* Feel like biting off more than you can chew? Head on down to the lower sections of the city known as The Swamps, inhabited by friendly reptilian Seraphon! Meat cooked over steam fissures fills the air with an aromatic and irresistible scent! What's that meat, you ask? Why it's Stormhorn, of course! or perhaps its the juicy and meaty Gore-grunta! Or maybe it's other guests! Kidding, of course!** Not a meat eater? Saunter on down (in sauna like conditions) to the Aelven Sector, where you'll be able to feast on the fiery, all vegetable meals prepared by Aelvish cooks!***

Aside from delicious delicacies, REGALOPOLIS is also home the Magical Vaults of Umbray, a hub of magical activity! See the Ghost Lanterns of Anvilgard Ships, Magic Tomes from the Realm of Shyish or the Laughing Skull of Orruk Shamans! With such magical properties, who knows what may pop up!****

Contact the REGALOPOLIS Department of Tourism today to book your travel package!

* - Duardin Ale has been known to contain such high amounts of alcohol that it will instantly dehydrate other races drinking it. The REGALOPOLIS Department of Tourism is not responsible for loss of hydration levels and/or death resulting from consuming Duardin Ale.

** - Not kidding. Sometimes the Seraphon will eat guests. Please be cautious, and remember the REGALOPOLIS Department of Tourism is not responsible for any lost limbs, eaten limbs, loss of life, loss of loved ones or loved ones limbs.

*** - Aelvish Fire Salads consist solely of Fire Peppers native to Aqshy. The REGALOPOLIS Department of Tourism is not responsible for any bowel or intestine related illnesses, such as holes being burned straight through stomachs, brought upon by eating the Aelvish Fire Salads.

**** - The Vaults of Umbray might actually be a Baleful Realmgate as undead minions, green skin forces and barbaric humans have been known to suddenly appear in the vault and slaughter any guests inside. Remember, The REGALOPOLIS Department of Tourism is not responsible for any deaths or psychological scarring from encounters with skeletons, dragons, orruks, barbaric humans, monsters of any kind or creatures of any kind!

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

richyp posted:

Thanks for the advice luckily I grabbed the deck of cards when the GHB 2017 came out. When I say Path to Glory I think I really just mean a small scale standard game of AoS with 2/3 of units and a hero each, which would be just enough to get the hang of the rules and not worry about missing an ability every other go because I forgot to look at the scroll in detail etc.. Then add in another unit of X next game (if the models haven't been banished after the first one).

Ah, yeah. If y'all get into the flavor f your heroes and making your own story you could implement the progression stuff in the PtG book but it does sound like you want to just start off with those small armies, an Open War scenario (without Ruse/Twist/SD) and the core rules.

also the Grundstok Thunderers are cool but their warscroll got updated in the GHB 17 and its kind of complicated and wordy for just 5 dudes now, unless you just play them without special weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Danimo posted:

also the Grundstok Thunderers are cool but their warscroll got updated in the GHB 17 and its kind of complicated and wordy for just 5 dudes now, unless you just play them without special weapons.

I already have these guys (couldn't resist) and modelled all 5 with the standard Aethershot Rifles for that exact reason, which in their defence still look pretty decent with 11 x 18" 3+ hit 4+ wound -1 rend per turn. Besides the Tzeentch Skyfire guys I can't seem to find a decent and easy to understand shooty Chaos unit besides maybe the Skaven Stormfiends with Windlaunchers. I was hoping to add some Slaanesh guys to my Chaos buds next, but maybe those guys could fill the Skaven contingent :)

• Locked thread