Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
LOL at Garrison cryng about people not wanting to get permanent disabling brain damage just to amuse him. What's next, bring back lead paint and lead gasoline? Radium suppositories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The way some of these guys talk about it, they just can't enjoy a sport unless they can see grey matter die in real time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Yeah, Garrison takes the usual SHUT UP BLACKS AND AMUSE ME conservative NFL take and adds Extra Crazy:

1) Sure, NFL players get their brains scrambled and we now know just how terrible the sport is for the human body, but HELMET-TO-HELMET FLAGS ARE PUSSIFICATION OF MERICA
2) The League's breast cancer awareness stuff is largely bullshit, but what enrages Garrison is the mere existence of the color pink – even a linebacker built like nuclear warhead who does it to "honor his mom" or whatever is NOT A MAN

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Dr Cheeto posted:

The way some of these guys talk about it, they just can't enjoy a sport unless they can see grey matter die in real time.
That fits with their choice of President.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Selachian posted:

It's not just Norway. We have American newspaper cartoonists who are still doing "cannibal stew pot" jokes in the 21st century:

Turns out there is a site named CartoonStock that has a bunch of cartoons on that theme.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I want to see the Cleveland Reds vs. the Colorado Wolverines

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

zakharov posted:

It takes a brave man to be pro brain damage. Thanks Ben.

How else is the Republican party supposed to get votes?

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

It seems in Garrison's cartoon world the players have taken ownership of the league and can now have personalities and opinions and emotions. Plus they seem to be taking the brain damage seriously, so Garrison's vision of the new NFL kicks rear end!

e: And I agree with Jon Bois that pink is an underutilized color in sports

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey Ben, if brain damage is just a liberal lie to feminize america, how about bashing your head against the wall, hard as you can, a dozen or so times daily. Let me know how that works out for you.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cartoons like Garrison's, as well as the reaction to Kaepernick and the uppity n- kneeling players just confirms my hatred for football and its "culture". I'll stick with baseball.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Sandpuppy posted:

I think I remember the original - Mueller was the media, Trump dumpster was labeled "Benghazi", and the Benghazi trash bag was ..."cattle futures"?

loving :lol: about "email scandal" though.

"BUT HER EMAILS! PRIVATE SERVERS!"

"You mean like Donald's private ser-"

"No, ignore those."

I think it'd be cool and good if Branco lost the use of his hands. gently caress the fact that people this stupid and disingenuous (and bad at drawing) get paid for this.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

loving :lol: about "email scandal" though.

"BUT HER EMAILS! PRIVATE SERVERS!"

"You mean like Donald's private ser-"

"No, ignore those."

I think it'd be cool and good if Branco lost the use of his hands. gently caress the fact that people this stupid and disingenuous (and bad at drawing) get paid for this.

I like the "BRAIN INJURY" bag, like a tiny garbage echo of Garrison. Keep loving that chicken, Branco.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

:lol: at someone who loses their poo poo over people kneeling for a couple minutes on TV calling anyone a "snowflake".
Pure projection.

"Tennessee Tantrums" - A definitely not-mad guy who went to the effort of making a political cartoon.

Oh no, "equality" :nallears:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Cartoons like Garrison's, as well as the reaction to Kaepernick and the uppity n- kneeling players just confirms my hatred for football and its "culture". I'll stick with baseball.

Football's great if you never talk about it with any white people over 50.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Geez, Garrison really hates black people and women.

Oh no, a man is wearing pink and expressing a desire not to have life long debilitating brain injuries! That means he's being feminine, which is the worst thing to be for some reason! Also, a black guy is peacefully protesting against police brutality for like two loving minutes at most at the start of the game, now they've gone too far! Football is ruined forever!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Virtue Signalling really does just mean "People liking things I don't" to the right now doesn't it?

It's a shame, in it's original context it was a fairly good concept to explain why poo poo like Slacktivism was bad, but the Far-Right really does like taking good concepts and ruining them hardcore, don't they.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

SteelMentor posted:

Virtue Signalling really does just mean "People liking things I don't" to the right now doesn't it?

It's a shame, in it's original context it was a fairly good concept to explain why poo poo like Slacktivism was bad, but the Far-Right really does like taking good concepts and ruining them hardcore, don't they.

Yeah it's "you're only saying racism is bad because you want to make yourself look good" or something, it's dumb as hell.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SteelMentor posted:

Slacktivism is still a non ruined word.
Just use that.
Also it forms a much more cogent and focused point than 'virtue signalling'.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

albany academy posted:

Did you know writing "DEBT" on big things is a fetish for some people

E: Cue bors' Ramirez cartoon but the last panel says "it's a fetish!" Instead

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah it's "you're only saying racism is bad because you want to make yourself look good" or something, it's dumb as hell.

People like Garrison, Branco, McCoy and their ilk simply cannot imagine a person empathizing with someone that does not look like themselves. It's an entirely foreign concept, and thus the man speaking in defense of women and the white person speaking in defense of african-americans must have an ulterior hidden motive in their eyes, since they would never do it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Erenthal posted:

People like Garrison, Branco, McCoy and their ilk simply cannot imagine a person empathizing with someone that does not look like themselves. It's an entirely foreign concept, and thus the man speaking in defense of women and the white person speaking in defense of african-americans must have an ulterior hidden motive in their eyes, since they would never do it.

Now I'm reminded of this hilariously bad thing.

"Who is the white male audience supposed to identify with? Simple, the little White Cuck Ball."

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Dr Cheeto posted:

Noted pro-concussion activist Ben Garrison thinks that repetitive brain damage is a key part of masculinity.

Ben Garrison voted for Trump?!?!?!?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Turns out I saved it in the Ramirez profile:

Hell yeah dude look at this poo poo. loving perfect

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Garrison has this weird mentality that something is poisoned and ruined forever if any of it does something disagreeable. It'd be like if the Simpsons were sympathetic to Nazis and I swear off cartoons as a whole; coupled with me ranting that cartoons hadn't been good in years and how the Korean animators shouldn't complain about lovely working conditions.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm the scare quotes Garrison puts around free speech when it refers to other people, but not when it refers to him. Because they really say it all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pants Donkey posted:

Garrison has this weird mentality that something is poisoned and ruined forever if any of it does something disagreeable. It'd be like if the Simpsons were sympathetic to Nazis and I swear off cartoons as a whole; coupled with me ranting that cartoons hadn't been good in years and how the Korean animators shouldn't complain about lovely working conditions.

Honestly though The Simpsons being sympathetic to the Nazis would be better than anything they've done in a very long time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

In this metaphor, though, all cartoons on Earth are run by one corporation and your political faction is trying to pressure them to forbid Nazi-sympathy

I said it before, it makes sense if you keep in mind they're trying desperately to make this alternate reality they depict, where everybody's Quitting Football because they had to see a man kneel, into real life so the NFL will do what they want

Augmented Reality
Sep 2, 2011

http://i68.tinypic.com/2py24bt.png

Augmented Reality fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 28, 2017

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I just checked Muir out of curiosity, he used a Samuel Adams quote about liberty in an anti-NFL protest cartoon. I don't think he understands the quote very well, it makes his characters look like the idiots, not the NFL players.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gordon Shumway posted:

I just checked Muir out of curiosity, he used a Samuel Adams quote about liberty in an anti-NFL protest cartoon. I don't think he understands the quote very well, it makes his characters look like the idiots, not the NFL players.
You're not quoting so that other posters experience the pleasure of visiting DBD firsthand?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lol. What naked hatred.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I imagine Stiglich is always happy someone died so he can take the rest of the day off.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Even International Police are pigs. A surprisingly left-wing cartoon with an unrelated statement about Palestine.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Simultaneously "Saudi Arabian men are bad for not giving women licenses" and "Saudi Arabian women are literally dogs". :wtc:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Flipperwaldt posted:

I imagine most politically cartoonists are always happy someone died so he can take the rest of the day off.

Ftfy

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

What tf is wrong with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Tobermory posted:

Simultaneously "Saudi Arabian men are bad for not giving women licenses" and "Saudi Arabian women are literally dogs". :wtc:

No, he's saying women are being treated like... You know what? gently caress this thread.

• Locked thread