Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Believe an EU novel later explained (because of course) that Macet was Dukat's more liberal-minded identical cousin who grew his facial hair to distinguish himself from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Now I'm the one without any ability to see beyond my bias, I guess, because that doesn't sound like any communist I've ever heard from.

So that's a no, you haven't read the passage I'm talking about?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Believe an EU novel later explained (because of course) that Macet was Dukat's more liberal-minded identical cousin who grew his facial hair to distinguish himself from him.

loving lol

All EUs are trash.

Admittedly, some small percentage of trash is actually treasure.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

So that's a no, you haven't read the passage I'm talking about?

I haven't. But if you're saying I'm secretly a communist, unbeknownst to myself, and Jeb! is saying I'm a libertarian, both based on what I posted, then maybe we all have a lot more in common than we think and there's hope for a Star Trek future after all. :unsmith:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ramadu posted:

So I'm watching s4e12 of TNG The Wounded and I can't stop laughing at Marc Alamo playing Gul Marcet and he has the worst facial hair ever and is wearing weird bondage face gear :lol:

They should have kept this. All cardassians should have handlebars.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I haven't. But if you're saying I'm secretly a communist, unbeknownst to myself, and Jeb! is saying I'm a libertarian, both based on what I posted, then maybe we all have a lot more in common than we think and there's hope for a Star Trek future after all. :unsmith:

The basic idea is that in full communism the individual is free to work as much or as little as he or she wants, on whatever seems best, without reference to earning a living or amassing power over others.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Identical cousins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTqKcojrVY

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Watching Menagerie.

McCoy thinks Vulcans can't lie. Bones, you somehow missed all of Enterprise.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Southern ironic racist misunderstands foreign culture: hard to believe.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Every time I see TOS assymetrical triangle candy service medals I zone out and try to figure out what design they were going for

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Happy 30th anniversary to TNG today

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't know what's worse about Discovery: the asymmetric collars on the uniforms or the Shenzhou's bridge being on the bottom of the saucer. Not my Trek.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Tsaedje posted:

I don't know what's worse about Discovery: the asymmetric collars on the uniforms or the Shenzhou's bridge being on the bottom of the saucer. Not my Trek.

I found it needlessly confusing when she was in the brig, and the computer said there was a hull breach on deck one, and I assumed that meant the bridge had been destroyed and the captain killed and now she'd have to take command... and then, of course, I remembered deck one isn't the bridge now. IT'S MADNESS!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

My god, those madmen. What hell hath they wrought?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Angry Salami posted:

I found it needlessly confusing when she was in the brig, and the computer said there was a hull breach on deck one, and I assumed that meant the bridge had been destroyed and the captain killed and now she'd have to take command... and then, of course, I remembered deck one isn't the bridge now. IT'S MADNESS!

They really should've numbered the decks from bottom to top and kept the bridge on deck 1.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

It's kind of funny the Talosians are editing their telepathic camera footage. "The primitives would appreciate a shoulder-to-shoulder close shot here. Now they would enjoy a mid-range side shot to end the scene."

Also I wonder what kind of Talosian chose the job to create the telepathic blonde woman who wants to mate with the human. Give that job to Terry you know he's into that weird poo poo.

Edit: or not? I guess she's real?

vermin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 28, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

"The women!"
"No, let me finish!"
:lol:
Also I guess Pike's into the green ladies. I get the feeling the overweight trader would've been Ferengi if this was in TNG.

"Gentlemen please, the Talosians need a commercial break"

vermin fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 28, 2017

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Highly illogical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C70QRbawN8

(the fact that his son failed to launch a singing career is the real reason Sarek never spoke to Spock. The Starfleet thing as a 'backup real career' was just icing on the cake)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's funny to see people complaining about a black female captain being pandering or whatever. No one on these forums has, just mainly YouTube commenters probably trolling, but it is funny every time cause she isn't even the captain. The captain is a white dude. The black woman goes to jail in the first episode and the Asian captain kamikazes herself. They should love it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Bloop posted:

loving lol

All EUs are trash.

You should find and read "How Much For Just the Planet?"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

vermin posted:

Also I guess Pike's into the green ladies. I get the feeling the overweight trader would've been Ferengi if this was in TNG.

That's the origin of the 'Kirk beds green alien women' myth: an episode that didn't even feature Kirk that was arguably written before his character was even invented.

Oh! You all must be watching "The Menagerie". Took me a moment to figure out what you were talking about. Decent episode, but yeah...they obviously spaced out the breaks in Talosian footage to remind us that this was Kirk-era Star Trek.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Bloop posted:

loving lol

All EUs are trash.

I read a TNG novel years ago about Geordi joining the Challenger, which had a Klingon helmsman who liked to Tokyo Drift the ship into spacedock for no apparent reason. I still can't decide if that's the best or worst EU thing I've seen.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

The Bloop posted:

loving lol

All EUs are trash.

The new Discovery tie in novel is a Shenzhou/Pike's Enterprise all star team up and it apparently gives Number One a name. Her name? Lt. Commander Una

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zutaten posted:

The new Discovery tie in novel is a Shenzhou/Pike's Enterprise all star team up and it apparently gives Number One a name. Her name? Lt. Commander Una

Also, she's Chekov's godmother, Uhura's academy roommate, and secretly a changeling, probably

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

"The haggis is in the fire, for sure." :discourse: I really hope that's an authentic Scottish phrase.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Zutaten posted:

Haha I just started reading that out of morbid curiosity and completely missed that. David Mack is such a hack.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Also the Discovery uniforms are apparently "utility jumpsuits" akin to the Enterprise coveralls while the Enterprise is using the new style shirt and pants uniforms they're just rolling out.

...this book sucks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

vermin posted:

"The haggis is in the fire, for sure." :discourse: I really hope that's an authentic Scottish phrase.

I'm pretty sure it became one, thanks to Jimmy Doohan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

apophenium posted:

Haha I just started reading that out of morbid curiosity and completely missed that. David Mack is such a hack.
He wrote most of the Vanguard novels which were good. It was basically DS9 but in the TOS era.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

apophenium posted:

David Mack is such a hack.

He's such a ridiculously nice guy, too. It's hard to say whether he's a hack or if licensed fan-fiction just automatically sucks donkey dick; I lean towards the latter.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

In Taste of Armageddon, the Federation cleaned everybody out. They ended another civilization's traditions (as distasteful as they were), attacked their vital infrastructure, literally held a whole planet hostage, and put two populations at risk so they could be at the head of the negotiations for a peace treaty :stare:. Those two planets probably joined the Federation afterward too.

I get that they were put in danger for stupid reasons but I just now realized the difference between Picard and Kirk. Picard would've hightailed it out of there and let them keep their mass suicidal culture in tact. He probably wouldn't have approached the planet in the first place since they had a "don't come here" signal going out. Kirk on the other hand goes there, gets captured, forces them to play along by his standards, disrupts 500 years of quasi-peace, and probably gets a medal for it because the Federation comes out on top.

This mission brought to you by Section 31

Kazinsal posted:

I'm pretty sure it became one, thanks to Jimmy Doohan.

vermin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 28, 2017

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I imagine churning out media tie-in novels is nicely soul sucking. I think all the Mack novels I've read start the same way: people we don't know yet get into trouble, then the people we do know find out about go to fix it.

I think it's a result of having to create something new but still familiar and comfortable. So yeah I guess calling Mack a hack isn't fair. The book's bad either way.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's our man Macet been up to in the EU no one might ask?

"Macet remained on DS9 to represent Cardassia at Bajor's signing ceremony for admittance into the Federation, but instead witnessed the assassination of the First Minister Shakaar Edon - who it turned out was under control of a Bluegill parasite. A short while later another parasite attempted to take control of Macet."

Bluegills are the parasites from Conspiracy. Macet leads a force of Cardassians to blockade the Bajoran sector to prevent the infection from spreading. When the Defiant comes across the blockade Ezri reveals one of her former hosts encountered the Bluegills during an expedition lead by Christopher Pike. Research into the Bluegills was interrupted by Pike's incident that resulted in his beepy chair.

:ughh:

Doggles fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 28, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This situation reminds me of the Alan Dean Foster prequel novel I read for the Transformers movies. It was super bad, even though he usually turns out decent enough genre fare otherwise (his novelizations of the TAS episodes are pretty solid, for example). I figure this kind of work is the writer's equivalent of all those unremarkable days you stumble into work half-asleep and just kinda drift through the shift for the paycheck. You know it's crap work but hey, still gotta eat.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Doggles posted:

Bluegills are the parasites from Conspiracy. Macet leads a force of Cardassians to blockade the Bajoran sector to prevent the infection from spreading. When the Defiant comes across the blockade Ezri reveals one of her former hosts encountered the Bluegills during an expedition lead by Christopher Pike. Research into the Bluegills was interrupted by Pike's incident that resulted in his beepy chair.

Bluegill parasites we're also responsible for the Area 51 incident, Wolf 359, and the conception of Jake Sisko.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zutaten posted:

Also the Discovery uniforms are apparently "utility jumpsuits" akin to the Enterprise coveralls while the Enterprise is using the new style shirt and pants uniforms they're just rolling out.

...this book sucks.

Apparently DSC is going to introduce more TOSy uniforms down the line, so we'll see how that marries up, I guess.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

vermin posted:

In Taste of Armageddon, the Federation cleaned everybody out. They ended another civilization's traditions (as distasteful as they were), attacked their vital infrastructure, literally held a whole planet hostage, and put two populations at risk so they could be at the head of the negotiations for a peace treaty :stare:. Those two planets probably joined the Federation afterward too.

I get that they were put in danger for stupid reasons but I just now realized the difference between Picard and Kirk. Picard would've hightailed it out of there and let them keep their mass suicidal culture in tact. He probably wouldn't have approached the planet in the first place since they had a "don't come here" signal going out. Kirk on the other hand goes there, gets captured, forces them to play along by his standards, disrupts 500 years of quasi-peace, and probably gets a medal for it because the Federation comes out on top.

Kirk wouldn't have approached the planet in the first place either. Eminiar sent the "do not approach, for any reason, at all" signal, Kirk said "welp, they said leave, guess that settles that!" and Ambassador Fox said "gently caress that, we need a base in this region, get in there already."

quote:

This mission brought to you by Section 31

gently caress thaaaaaaaaat

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Zutaten posted:

The Bloop posted:

Also, she's Chekov's godmother, Uhura's academy roommate, and secretly a changeling, probably

There's something like five different backstories for her, most of which contradict each other. Probably the nuttiest one out there is from the New Frontier series, which is basically a sandbox for Peter David to do whatever he wants. In those books, she's introduced as "Morgan Primus," and she's a human from Earth who became immortal sometime in the misty past, kinda like that Flint guy. She tended to swap identities every few decades, one of which was Number One, though there's also some jokes made about Christine Chapel and the ship's computer. She eventually ended up on the USS Excalibur, the main ship of the series, and eventually got killed by a Greek god, only to have her mind end up in the computer. She eventually contracted Cortana's space madness, and she ended up getting erased. Oh, and she's Robin Lefler's mother.

Jesus, when I lay it all out like that, it's so incredibly stupid. How did I never see it before?

Doggles posted:

What's our man Macet been up to in the EU no one might ask?

"Macet remained on DS9 to represent Cardassia at Bajor's signing ceremony for admittance into the Federation, but instead witnessed the assassination of the First Minister Shakaar Edon - who it turned out was under control of a Bluegill parasite. A short while later another parasite attempted to take control of Macet."

Those books did have one cool part. At one point in the proceedings, a bluegill tried to take over Taran'atar, a Jem'Hadar elder that Odo had sent to DS9 as an envoy. It leapt into his mouth, as bluegills do, only to...well, let's just say that for an engineered species that doesn't eat, the Jem'Hadar have incredible jaw muscles.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Kirk wouldn't have approached the planet in the first place either. Eminiar sent the "do not approach, for any reason, at all" signal, Kirk said "welp, they said leave, guess that settles that!" and Ambassador Fox said "gently caress that, we need a base in this region, get in there already."

Yeah it really was Fox's fault. Scotty's disdain for diplomats makes me think they throw their weight around a lot.
"New orders, we're going to the death zone."
"Fuckin diplomats"

vermin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.