Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
The "create your own profession" guidelines in the Agent's Handbook explains it on p. 26.

quote:

PROFESSIONAL SKILLS: Pick ten professional skills for the
new profession. Divide 400 skill points between them.
Add those points to each skill’s starting level. As a rule
of thumb, professional skills should be 30% to 50%. No
professional skill may be higher than 60%.
BONDS: 3
CUSTOMIZE: For each additional bond (to a maximum
of 4), reduce professional skill points by 50. For each
bond removed (to a minimum of 1), add 50 professional
skill points.

Apparently some of the default careers break these rules though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Has anyone ran any modern day games using Trail of Cthulhu? I'm running (initially) a one-shot or a couple session game for a group of new players, and I think one of the many Delta Green adventures (like Music From a Darkened Room) might go over well.

Of course it wouldn't be a massive amount of work to do the conversion work (basically just come up with new drives and skills, pretty much) but if someone's already done it, all the better!

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
I'd probably just use Night's Black Agents as the basis for a modern TOC set of skills. Not sure you'd even need the book, you could probably just use the character sheet and fill everything else in from the TOC rules.

Speaking of which

quote:

Night's Black Agents cleans up most of the things about Trail of Cthulhu that I don't like.

What exactly? I'm finding NBA combat wearying because it's all exceptions. If it's other little tidbits, there's a regularly updated Condensed TOC rules on the Pelgrane site, which incorporates general "innovations" and changes that are common to gumshoe. I'm not sure how they figure out which is a rule update and which is a game specific rule though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

numtini posted:

What exactly? I'm finding NBA combat wearying because it's all exceptions.
This is the big thing I don't like about Gumshoe, but NBA is better than ToC in this regard. It could still use some more cleaning up.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
The Delta Green Logo: https://imgur.com/gallery/iytsJ

What exactly is the relevance of the stars/lines behind the triangle? The assymetry implies relevance...

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If y'all have a hankering to play some Delta Green we're getting more and more active in the NightAtTheOpera subreddit, usually a game or two every week.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NightAtTheOpera/

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yoshimo posted:

The Delta Green Logo: https://imgur.com/gallery/iytsJ

What exactly is the relevance of the stars/lines behind the triangle? The assymetry implies relevance...

also kind of answered on reddit. Dennis Detwiller would know but I don't have him on facebook to bother him so you're on your own.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeltaGreenRPG/comments/6rr8ig/meaning_behind_the_dg_logo/

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Any opinions on Achtung Cthulhu? It's on sale on drivethrurpg for cheap. It comes in CoC 6e, fate, and Savage World versions. I'm considering picking up the Elder Godlike supplement to run something Hellboyish.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

neaden posted:

Any opinions on Achtung Cthulhu? It's on sale on drivethrurpg for cheap. It comes in CoC 6e, fate, and Savage World versions. I'm considering picking up the Elder Godlike supplement to run something Hellboyish.

It has tonal issues. In one part it has Ken Hite write about the importance of portraying the SS and NKVD as humans so we can't dismiss their crimes by pretending it wasn't done by humans, in another there are Nazis in power armour with guns that shoot lightning.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I played a one-shot and it was fun and pretty pulpy but I wouldn't really be into a long-form game of it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

At the risk of posting too much (tm) I am starting a mini campaign of sorts, a few loosely connected Vietnam era DG ops the first of which is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NightAtTheOpera/comments/6s9u77/operation_spizzerinctum/

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

So what's the scoop on the Case Officer's Handbook? I could only find it on the Pre-Orders section of the DG website, so is it safe to assume that it's not on sale yet? Is the Agent's Handbook enough to run a game on its own? Never played DG, but been listening to some actual plays and reading old edition material for it and now I have a hankerin'.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Case Officer's Handbook has not yet been released. If you're a backer, they released a draft of it for people to pick-through for editing, but it's not yet gone to print or anything of the sort

Yes, the Agent's Handbook is enough to run a game on its own. Heck, the Need-to-Know free quickstart is enough to run a game on its own. What you're missing out on are specifics on DG/Lovecraft lore, and perhaps mechanical stats for monsters, but this isn't really an issue for the kind of games DG tends to turn into for a variety of reasons.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Anyone else read the Case Officer's Handbook draft?

Overall it rules, but some of the crunch for monsters seems ridiculously overpowered or maybe just poorly written even from the standard CoC massive investigator bodycount standpoint. Or maybe I just don't understand the new HP/lethality system.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Some monsters are just straight up going to kill you if you fight them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elendil004 posted:

I can't find it I think it might be lost to the Old Internet but back in the day there was a proto-meme about the "Delta Green shooting positions."

They included the usual prone, prone braced, standing, kneeling, etc, and also "fleeing at a sprint shooting over your shoulder" and "firing panicked into the air."

The last one in the illustration was, of course, the ol' Bud Dwyer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LatwPIAT posted:

It has tonal issues. In one part it has Ken Hite write about the importance of portraying the SS and NKVD as humans so we can't dismiss their crimes by pretending it wasn't done by humans, in another there are Nazis in power armour with guns that shoot lightning.

I'm not really seeing the disconnect myself, treating a subject seriously doesn't mean one had to go for hardcore realism

Elendil004 posted:

Honestly I absolutely hate that kind of interpretation of the mythos, pretty much the only corporeal creature we see in Lovecraft's writing(not counting Cthulhu and a couple other critters in the Kaiju size class) that came off as being resistant to being shot with a gun were Shoggoths, and even those would probably just be a case of needing to "use more gun" to kill them

Not to say that taking on a pack of Deep Ones should be easy, but assuming your party is properly armed/prepared it definitely shouldn't be a death sentence either

but then I'm one of those people who actually likes Cthulhutech

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

drrockso20 posted:

but then I'm one of those people who actually likes Cthulhutech

What happened to that setting, anyway?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zalabar posted:

What happened to that setting, anyway?

New edition is still being worked on, there's some improvements being done to reduce some of the more tryhard aspects to the setting, unfortunately they're apparently keeping one of my most disliked aspects of the original version; the Dreamlands are still eaten offscreen by some random OC Great Old One they came up with, which is a drat shame, because there's some fun stuff that could be done with it there

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think this is where you start to get into the distinction between a "Pulp" game and a ... less-Pulp game (I dislike Trail of Cthulhu's use of the term "Purist", because as drrocks said, it's technically not "more faithful" to the source material to assume that the mythos is unstoppable).

That said, the default setting of Delta Green does seem to imply that the game should be quite lethal, so I wasn't really taken aback by the stats on some of the enemies.

The other angle to explore is that a lot of enemies can be destroyed with the firepower available to the American military, but the conflict derives from:

* can you get the word out? This alone can be a huge issue. If you find out that the research facility is summoning a Gug, sure, a Paveway will end that right quick, but you need to leave the building first
* can you justify an air strike on the site against the need to recover samples for study? The Program vs Cowboy angle is also going to come into play here
* how are you going to do clean-up, both in a material sense, and in a witness sense?
* what are the larger NatSec implications of these actions? If you don't want to play-out the political field in detail, you can at least have the more Civil Liberties-minded agents take a SAN check

Or to put it another way, even if you can kill a Hound of Tindalos with rifle fire, it's still going to be a struggle to acquire those rifles.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The enemy that i think is poorly written is immune to lethality attacks and takes only 2 damage, or slightly more with explosions. This means you can open up on it with a .50 cal machine gun and it will take 2 damage. This is just bad rule writing when it can already ruin your poo poo with attacks, and the fluff has WW1 soldiers hunting them down and killing them.

The equivalent in vanilla CoC and the old DG Targets of Opportunity book just takes half damage from normal attacks and has fewer hp to boot.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 23, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

clockworkjoe posted:

The "create your own profession" guidelines in the Agent's Handbook explains it on p. 26.

Apparently some of the default careers break these rules though.

For the most part I think they don't if you subtract the base skill values from those numbers

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hosting a delta green movie night in the night at the opera discord. Tonight at 6 eastern we're watching Alien Raiders, a cross between The Thing and Dog Day Afternoon.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's literally Delta Green: The Movie with the serial numbers shaved off. SO good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

Hosting a delta green movie night in the night at the opera discord. Tonight at 6 eastern we're watching Alien Raiders, a cross between The Thing and Dog Day Afternoon.

Do you have a Discord invite? I won't be able to participate (I am ironically running a game of DG over Discord) but I'd love to hang out next time you guys do something like that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

They made a Call of Cthulhu reference on last Sunday's WWE PPV, I don't think anything will surprise me anymore

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They rehired Matt Striker?!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Do you have a Discord invite? I won't be able to participate (I am ironically running a game of DG over Discord) but I'd love to hang out next time you guys do something like that.

https://discord.gg/FxNKfCq

we tend to run a couple games a week

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

https://discord.gg/FxNKfCq

we tend to run a couple games a week

Thanks!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What is the experience like playing tabletop online

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What is the experience like playing tabletop online

You mean like DG or other CoC stuff?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A Delta Green one-shot I'm running this Sunday at 6pm EST could probably use another player or two.

Reddit post is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NightAtTheOpera/comments/6uyo90/cabin_in_the_woods/

Pitch is:

quote:

On 15 February 2003, 1-325th Airborne Infantry deployed to Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. On 27 March 2003 the Battalion crossed the border and saw ground combat in As Samawah, Fallujah and Baghdad. On the evening of April 28, 2003, several hundred civilians ignored a curfew imposed on them by the U.S. military. They proceeded to march through the streets of Fallujah, past the soldiers positioned in the local Ba'ath party headquarters. They wished to protest outside a local school (al-Qa'id primary) about the United States military presence within the school [C/1-325th AIR]. A U.S. Army Psychological Operations team attempted to force the civilians to disperse with announcements, but the team failed in this attempt. According to locals, at this point the United States soldiers fired upon the unarmed crowd, killing 17 and wounding more than 70 of the protesters.

The U.S. suffered no casualties from the incident. According to the soldiers on the ground, the 82nd Airborne soldiers inside the school responded to "effective fire" from inside the protesting crowd. Later third party investigations found no evidence that the US forces had come under attack and it concluded that the US forces, far from shooting with precision, shot at Iraqis indiscriminately. Two days later, on April 30, the 82nd Airborne was replaced in the city by 2nd Troop (Fox) / U.S. 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment.

Due to the confusing nature of the 'engagement', there was no formal disciplinary action resulting from the action, but the men of 2 Squad were reassigned to other units when and where possible. No member of 2 Squad ever divulged what really happened, and the circumstances were left unmentioned and unresolved.

Eleven years later, members of 2 Squad receive a message from SSgt Thomas asking them to come to his cabin in the woods to talk about "what happened at the school"

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Anybody run Kali Ghati and had the group decide 'gently caress it, let's bribe the Afghans' instead?

Because I'm kind of hoping my upcoming group decides on that approach, because I am ready to roll with it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LuiCypher posted:

Anybody run Kali Ghati and had the group decide 'gently caress it, let's bribe the Afghans' instead?

Because I'm kind of hoping my upcoming group decides on that approach, because I am ready to roll with it.

KG is one of the weaker scenarios, it was basically a playtest of the new DG combat rules and it kinda shows. I've had fun running it but I've never had fun playing it for what it's worth.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Elendil004 posted:

KG is one of the weaker scenarios, it was basically a playtest of the new DG combat rules and it kinda shows. I've had fun running it but I've never had fun playing it for what it's worth.

I think you can have a lot of fun with it, I just think you need some context to Afghanistan in order to really have fun with it. Otherwise, as a player, I can see it being a fairly linear scenario with some combat setpieces that ends in a meat grinder.

I do have some of that context having done civilian contract work out in Afghanistan, so I'm adding a few more notes to the scenario in case one of my players at this convention game (which is taking place in DC, so it's fairly likely I will have a player who's done similar contract work in the country) also has that context and wants to run with it. This includes paying the fairly brave, fairly bribe-able, and definitely under-equipped ANA to cart them around the place to try to circumvent the bureaucracy and paper trail involved with getting the U.S. Army to do it for them.

(Because trust me, they're not keeping any paperwork on where they sourced that RPG that they got for the Agents by calling a cousin who called a few other cousins who called a friend nearby who just so happened to have one. Besides, if they pull off the mission successfully, DG might just be willing to pay off the massive debt they incurred before it hits their bank accounts...)

Of course, I could say no and fall back on the fact that the Afghans in general seem aware of Kali Ghati and how no-good it is, but... who's to say that the ANA forces are locals? They could just be a bunch of Tajiks and Uzbeks from the North, blissfully unaware of what the local Pashtuns know, who are eager to make a quick buck taking some idiot Americans to a nearby village.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Trip report:

My players DID have a lot of fun with Kali Ghati. They got sick of all of the bureaucratic officiousness of the American soldiers on base (the American commander knows there's a shitstorm coming and is engaging in CYA, after all) and wound up bribing the ANA to take them to the village.

I had all of the rules written out for this potential scenario :getin:

If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to provide them for reference. Basically, they have to figure out a way past Byers (convincing him that he doesn't need to be present for interacting with the ANA is key) and talk to the ANA Commander, who's more than happy to let them use personal expenses to pay for weapons/assistance (using them instead of the Americans is considered an Extreme expense, but all of the Agents can agree to chip in to make it a Major expense for everybody. Depending on the success of the mission, DG may or may not reimburse them (which will restore the lost bond damage)). After that, the ANA Commander is more than happy to smuggle them out of the base (no need to worry about the Americans) and for fun, I decided that he felt like 'AKs for Everybody!' was a nice way to sweeten the deal.

I did give them more of a chance, though. Instead of being in the MRAP that gets IED'd, they were in one of the ANA Humvees that did not (if they were, TPK - an IED that can disable an MRAP enough that it will eventually blow up will rip through a Humvee like paper) - but the ANA sent three (to compensate for the fact that they'd instantly lose one) Humvees as opposed to two MRAPs. I also wrote out the ANA Commander, who quickly became one of my favorite NPCs.

I didn't run the village going absolutely bonkers once they encounter the Bad, but the players did force an encounter with the Bad by using a grenade on the murderous guides (lots of blood to awaken that sleeper). One got eaten in the escape, but the rest made it out.

Overall, I'd say that the scenario runs in about 5-6 hours, but you can make it play out in four if you gloss over the murderous village. That village is pretty much salt on the wound at that point though, since it's likely quite a few are temporarily insane from their encounter with the sleeper and they probably don't have an vehicles left. Kali Ghati can really mulch agents, though - I'd only play it as a one-shot with the pre-generated characters instead of it being a part of a larger campaign.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 9, 2017

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

LuiCypher posted:

Trip report:

My players DID have a lot of fun with Kali Ghati. They got sick of all of the bureaucratic officiousness of the American soldiers on base (the American commander knows there's a shitstorm coming and is engaging in CYA, after all) and wound up bribing the ANA to take them to the village.

I had all of the rules written out for this potential scenario :getin:

If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to provide them for reference. Basically, they have to figure out a way past Byers (convincing him that he doesn't need to be present for interacting with the ANA is key) and talk to the ANA Commander, who's more than happy to let them use personal expenses to pay for weapons/assistance (using them instead of the Americans is considered an Extreme expense, but all of the Agents can agree to chip in to make it a Major expense for everybody. Depending on the success of the mission, DG may or may not reimburse them (which will restore the lost bond damage)). After that, the ANA Commander is more than happy to smuggle them out of the base (no need to worry about the Americans) and for fun, I decided that he felt like 'AKs for Everybody!' was a nice way to sweeten the deal.

I did give them more of a chance, though. Instead of being in the MRAP that gets IED'd, they were in one of the ANA Humvees that did not (if they were, TPK - an IED that can disable an MRAP enough that it will eventually blow up will rip through a Humvee like paper) - but the ANA sent three (to compensate for the fact that they'd instantly lose one) Humvees as opposed to two MRAPs. I also wrote out the ANA Commander, who quickly became one of my favorite NPCs.

I didn't run the village going absolutely bonkers once they encounter the Bad, but the players did force an encounter with the Bad by using a grenade on the murderous guides (lots of blood to awaken that sleeper). One got eaten in the escape, but the rest made it out.

Overall, I'd say that the scenario runs in about 5-6 hours, but you can make it play out in four if you gloss over the murderous village. That village is pretty much salt on the wound at that point though, since it's likely quite a few are temporarily insane from their encounter with the sleeper and they probably don't have an vehicles left. Kali Ghati can really mulch agents, though - I'd only play it as a one-shot with the pre-generated characters instead of it being a part of a larger campaign.

I'd love to see those rules. I shared this post with the Delta Green email list BTW. They love stuff like this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just got an email about the plaintext doc for The Fall of Delta Green being released to backers

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

clockworkjoe posted:

I'd love to see those rules. I shared this post with the Delta Green email list BTW. They love stuff like this.

It even got a Shane Ivey reply

Shane motherfucking Ivey posted:

Very cool. All the times I've run it, nobody's tried that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just got an email about the plaintext doc for The Fall of Delta Green being released to backers

It's really cool and good. Feels a lot more like "classic" Delta Green which it should.