Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

D.N. Nation posted:

"We, Da U, It's All About Da UŽ, got into a ref-assisted slapfight with Duke"

General Dog posted:

"I ain't scared of you, Coach Cutcliffe"

Yes, but have you considered this?

(p.s. I appreciate both of those)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

It was already built though, it was more like remodeling the showers

Yeesh now I feel dirty

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeesh now I feel dirty

You should see the other guy!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I'm an rear end in a top hat sometimes.

I also hate PSU & its supporters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
IDK my step-dad is a PSU grad and still supports the school, but when asked about Paterno and everything that happened he gets really heated and tears into them.

I think it's fine to be a fan considering none of the kids on the team or coaches had anything to do with what happened.

He also doesn't like Franklin fwiw

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

The man made Vanderbilt relevant, what's to possibly dislike?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

IDK my step-dad is a PSU grad and still supports the school, but when asked about Paterno and everything that happened he gets really heated and tears into them.

I think it's fine to be a fan considering none of the kids on the team or coaches had anything to do with what happened.

This is kinda where I'm at. gently caress Paterno, gently caress Spanier, gently caress everyone else at fault there. Especially gently caress the people who wear 409 hats and Joe Knows Football shirts to games.

That being said- I graduated from there, I'm proud of my education, and I was encouraged by the university's swift response to the events coming to light (like firing Paterno and Spanier, the Blue Out game, etc.) and their continued contribution to good causes like THON. Still gonna root for the football team in its current incarnation, and I'm truly sorry that I can't see eye to eye with those who can't distinguish between fans like me and lovely fans who support Paterno.

Edit to actually contribute to the original topic:

Komet posted:

Penn State is wearing throwbacks for the game on Saturday.

There are numbers on the helmets and white shoes
Apparently they had helmet numbers prior to 1969? News to me. Still don't think it's a good look.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 28, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PostNouveau posted:

But just wait till wrestling season.

They stink at that now too

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

This is kinda where I'm at. gently caress Paterno, gently caress Spanier, gently caress everyone else at fault there. Especially gently caress the people who wear 409 hats and Joe Knows Football shirts to games.

That being said- I graduated from there, I'm proud of my education, and I was encouraged by the university's swift response to the events coming to light (like firing Paterno and Spanier, the Blue Out game, etc.) and their continued contribution to good causes like THON. Still gonna root for the football team in its current incarnation, and I'm truly sorry that I can't see eye to eye with those who can't distinguish between fans like me and lovely fans who support Paterno.

it's because, having spent a great deal of time in Western Pennsylvania, I can say that you don't exist. There are no good ones.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wyntyr posted:

He's a trash person

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dilber posted:

Yes, but have you considered this?

(p.s. I appreciate both of those)

I miss Thujone. :smith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

They stink at that now too

:smith:

Though Iowa is so worried about not being good this year that they are taking in a guy who got kicked off the ISU team back in February because if he can restrain himself from doing something stupid for a few months (for once) he'll score them points at nationals.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Fifty Three posted:

That being said- I graduated from there, I'm proud of my education, and I was encouraged by the university's swift response to the events coming to light (like firing Paterno and Spanier, the Blue Out game, etc.) and their continued contribution to good causes like THON.

I seem to remember the university sponsoring a celebration of the 50th anniversary of Paterno's first game just last year.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

kittenmittons posted:

I seem to remember the university sponsoring a celebration of the 50th anniversary of Paterno's first game just last year.
Yep, and I agree that it was really dumb and tone-deaf especially in light of how they reacted almost six years ago. They haven't denied his involvement in the cover-up, but they haven't gotten around to completely disregarding his contribution to the history of the football program. Really wish they hadn't done that.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's because, having spent a great deal of time in Western Pennsylvania, I can say that you don't exist. There are no good ones.
...cool?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

This is kinda where I'm at. gently caress Paterno, gently caress Spanier, gently caress everyone else at fault there. Especially gently caress the people who wear 409 hats and Joe Knows Football shirts to games

My parking permit number at my apartment is 409 and it drives me crazy.

I was somewhat confused when I was back for my first Blue and White Game since 2011 and noticed most of the people with 409 and Paterno stuff were current students. Why? Don't understand.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sash! posted:

My parking permit number at my apartment is 409 and it drives me crazy.

I was somewhat confused when I was back for my first Blue and White Game since 2011 and noticed most of the people with 409 and Paterno stuff were current students. Why? Don't understand.
because

kittenmittons posted:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also kids are dumb

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

My feelings on Paterno pretty much match my feelings on Confederacy nostalgia- bo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

Also kids are dumb

True I've been a grumpy old man since I turned 6, so I can't understand the youth and often forget they're generally idiots.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I like my football team better than your football team, and I think your football team is a poop.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Though Iowa is so worried about not being good this year that they are taking in a guy who got kicked off the ISU team back in February because if he can restrain himself from doing something stupid for a few months (for once) he'll score them points at nationals.

That should get them to third, I guess.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

your football team is a poop.

Fair

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

KKKLIP ART posted:

I like my football team better than your football team, and I think your football team is a poop.

my football team is actually pretty much my least favorite one

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

MourningView posted:

He's a trash person

*googles "James Franklin controversy*

*sees the words "gang rape"*

Well, I learned a thing today.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sportsgenius86 posted:

That should get them to third, I guess.

Presumably that's the goal. No way they're getting higher than that but Downey should make it likely they finish no lower than 5th.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

wyntyr posted:

*googles "James Franklin controversy*

*sees the words "gang rape"*

Well, I learned a thing today.
I've been curious about this- what involvement did Franklin actually have other than the fact that his players did it?

KKKLIP ART posted:

gently caress. :smith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fifty Three posted:

I've been curious about this- what involvement did Franklin actually have other than the fact that his players did it?

#Anchordown

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fifty Three posted:

There was a rumor that he saw a cell phone video that the idiot rapists took of the event and told them to lawyer up or something I think? I'm not sure if it was ever more than a rumor though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Seaniqua posted:

my football team is actually pretty much my least favorite one

This has slowly become true for me in every sport.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I love everything about this pic

https://twitter.com/3Hill/status/913496865865420800

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

LeeMajors posted:

This has slowly become true for me in every sport.

It's a blessing in disguise. If Nebraska were any good, I might be less likely to be invested in the rest of the country. And for me, The real joy of college football isn't really watching the Huskers, it's watching everyone else and being invested in the storylines, important games, etc. I get value out of Husker football, too, but that's more about the tradition, local relevance, and inconveniencing my children by also making them miserable Husker fans.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/rRaddawg81/status/913470606808616960

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chub is going to get destroyed so bad you'll think you're watching Lars Von Trier's Antichrist.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Seaniqua posted:

It's a blessing in disguise. If Nebraska were any good, I might be less likely to be invested in the rest of the country. And for me, The real joy of college football isn't really watching the Huskers, it's watching everyone else and being invested in the storylines, important games, etc. I get value out of Husker football, too, but that's more about the tradition, local relevance, and inconveniencing my children by also making them miserable Husker fans.

That's true in a way. I've become more invested in other storylines, big playmakers, other matchups - but unfortunately I haven't divested completely and when time is limited, I foolishly dedicate it to watching UF suck poo poo against average competition and get blown out by anyone good.

The Redskins can suck a dick though - I'm pretty sure I hate them more than the Cowboys now. My 8 year old self would be very confused.

And the Braves are just so depressingly irrelevant and boring...trading away any player of interest for several journeymen, or grinding them into incompetence.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

That's true in a way. I've become more invested in other storylines, big playmakers, other matchups - but unfortunately I haven't divested completely and when time is limited, I foolishly dedicate it to watching UF suck poo poo against average competition and get blown out by anyone good.

The Redskins can suck a dick though - I'm pretty sure I hate them more than the Cowboys now. My 8 year old self would be very confused.

And the Braves are just so depressingly irrelevant and boring...trading away any player of interest for several journeymen, or grinding them into incompetence.

At least the Redskins have tasted success before.

FSU is the only team I pull for that's ever been on top. :negative:

Jags: lol.

Rays: lol

Magic: lol

Dusty Rhodes: RIP

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

At least the Redskins have tasted success before.

FSU is the only team I pull for that's ever been on top. :negative:

Jags: lol.

Rays: lol

Magic: lol

Dusty Rhodes: RIP

Yeah, that's a rough draw. Rays were good with Maddon then just fell apart again when he left.

Jags had some good times with Coughlin and Brunell!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

wyntyr posted:

The horrible rape scandal that went on while he was at Vanderbilt.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Spacebump posted:

The horrible rape scandal that went on while he was at Vanderbilt.

Yeah, I somehow completely missed all of that until literally today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/Morgan_Moriarty/status/913523555094159361

• Locked thread