Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/KellyO/status/913476923849920518

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
🌋🌋🌋🏘🏘🏘🌋🌋🌋

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/KellyO/status/913476923849920518

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
🌋🌋🌋🏘🏘🏘🌋🌋🌋

literally the opposite of true.

same with the state and local tax deduction.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If they get rid of the mortgage deduction home prices are going to crater.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Potato Salad posted:

What are your thoughts, if any, on Facebook as an easy-entry platform for misinformation?

i think it's unlikely billions in spending was sidelined by less than 150k of spending on ads that read like nigerian prince emails. if that's the case then those billions were spent extremely poorly

besides, i dunno how ads supporting blm are supposed to have sowed discord that would hurt hillary, so i dunno what amount of that $150k was actually targeted at hillary clinton, or if even a large amount of it was

i also think it's a bit silly to be going full in on info that's just hearsay atm

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 28, 2017

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Stereotype posted:

Time to buy?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Queue attack ads of "donald trump and [Republican Congressman Here] voted to raise taxes on middle class homeowners" in 2018.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
And the "No poo poo Sherlock" Award for September goes to...Adam Jentleson of Politico, for his article,
"The Myth of Mitch McConnell, Political Super-Genius"!!!

quote:

In the Myth of McConnell, grand achievements are conjured out of last-minute, crisis-driven exercises in can-kicking—like extending the U.S. borrowing authority and government funding—all things that used to happen routinely before McConnell became leader of the Republican Caucus and unleashed his unique brand of unprecedented obstructionism on the Senate, manufacturing the very crises that made the last-minute deals necessary. Meanwhile, humdrum political events, like winning reelection in a deep red state in a strong year for Republicans—as McConnell did in 2014—are recast as achievements of Machiavellian brilliance.

If any believers in the Myth remain after the brutal week McConnell just endured, which capped off an unbelievably brutal eight months, they should take this challenge: Name one major legislative accomplishment to McConnell’s credit over the more than 30 years he has been in the Senate. (Last minute deals don’t count.)

You can’t do it: Unlike former Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid (my former boss) and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, McConnell has never authored a single piece of major legislation that became law, nor has he successfully shepherded a single major bill to passage as leader. Reid, Pelosi and former President Barack Obama were all party to the last-minute deals, but they all have a trove of historic accomplishments to show for their leadership: insuring millions of Americans through the Affordable Care Act, reforming the post-crash financial system with Dodd-Frank and ending the Iraq war, for starters. McConnell has nothing.

I am glad someone in the MSM is actually, you know, saying it, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Stereotype posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-2007-i-m-excited-housing-market-crash-n578761

quote:

Donald Trump counseled Trump University students to take advantage of the housing bubble as an investment opportunity and said, just a year before it burst, that he was “excited” for it to end because of the money he’d make.

“People have been talking about the end of the cycle for 12 years, and I'm excited if it is,’ he told the Globe and Mail in March of 2007. “I’ve always made more money in bad markets than in good markets.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The last housing market crash was a boon for the rich. Why not jumpstart the next. They know they will get bailed out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Trump tax plan doesn't remove the mortgage interest tax deduction. It doesn't do anything to the Mortgage Interest Deduction.

"At worst" it makes it so that you are getting the same benefit as before, but you could have gotten it while renting instead.

What the journalist was asking (and this is pretty dumb of the journalist) is "What about people who bought a house because of the deduction, but are low enough income that the new standard deduction will eliminate their tax burden? Now, they can get the same tax benefit if they rented. What about people who bought only because of that?"

The effect on the housing market is going to be between 0 and nothing. Anyone who was in the edge-case scenario where that 6,000 in taxable income was the one thing pushing them to finally buy a house is not going to have any impact on the supply or demand for housing in the U.S. as a whole.

It just makes taking the standard deduction slightly more attractive if you are in a very narrow band of people who:

- Are deciding whether to buy or rent
- Are within $6,000 in taxable income of the taxable income threshold of the current deduction level
- Have a home that has annual mortgage interest costs more than the difference between the old standard deduction and the new standard deduction, but income low enough that a lot of the mortgage interest deduction was "wasted."

It will have no impact on people's ability to buy a home. It will just make renting slightly more financially attractive if you are lower-middle income.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Trump tax plan doesn't remove the mortgage interest tax deduction. It doesn't do anything to the Mortgage Interest Deduction.

"At worst" it makes it so that you are getting the same benefit as before, but you could have gotten it while renting instead.

What the journalist was asking (and this is pretty dumb of the journalist) is "What about people who bought a house because of the deduction, but are low enough income that the new standard deduction will eliminate their tax burden? Now, they can get the same tax benefit if they rented. What about people who bought only because of that?"

The effect on the housing market is going to be between 0 and nothing. Anyone who was in the edge-case scenario where that 6,000 in taxable income was the one thing pushing them to finally buy a house is not going to have any impact on the supply or demand for housing in the U.S. as a whole.

It just makes taking the standard deduction slightly more attractive if you are in a very narrow band of people who:

- Are deciding whether to buy or rent
- Are within $6,000 in taxable income of the taxable income threshold of the current deduction level
- Have a home that has annual mortgage interest costs more than the difference between the old standard deduction and the new standard deduction, but income low enough that a lot of the mortgage interest deduction was "wasted."

It will have no impact on people's ability to buy a home. It will just make renting slightly more financially attractive if you are lower-middle income.

Ah. So the tax plan is good? Thank you for clarifying that it is good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mr Hootington posted:

No, it is generally bad.

But it makes no changes to the mortgage interest tax deduction and will have absolutely no impact on the housing market, let alone cause "another housing crisis."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, it is generally bad.

But it makes no changes to the mortgage interest tax deduction and will have absolutely no impact on the housing market, let alone cause "another housing crisis."

Well now you have me confused. Post your sources or it is all bs.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Well now you have me confused. Post your sources or it is all bs.

You can just google it and see it doesn't change the mortgage deduction dude

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Koalas March posted:

:siren: Mod Message Incoming :siren:

We are trying something new in TGRS. The Keep Your Head Up Project is a community building effort to help fund positive outcomes for users in need. This could be for your car, work equipment, medical expenses, etc.

Take a peek and get involved!

edit: Just realized this is USpol, but I guess I'll leave it up. Sorry guys!

In general this is a cool and good idea, but goon charity drives have a decidedly mixed history. It might be better in TGRS since there seems to be a pretty strong core of regulars there, but that didn't stop that one guy from tricking LF into buying him skinny jeans.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

You can just google it and see it doesn't change the mortgage deduction dude

Ah so his thesis is unsourced drivel. Typical USPol.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

What is the obsession with a leap of logic that correcting someone who misunderstands something auto means that the person is pro-whatever the topic is. I see this a lot (not specifically you) but it's absurd and needs to stop as it causes like half the slap fights.

Mr Hootington posted:

Ah so his thesis is unsourced drivel. Typical USPol.

Just the worst.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.7db1a346a93a

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 28, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

Here's the thread the Iraq War prediction came from:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=438591

If you look at all the posts there, people vastly underestimated how long the occupation was going to last.

this is amazing to look at

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Main Paineframe posted:

In general this is a cool and good idea, but goon charity drives have a decidedly mixed history. It might be better in TGRS since there seems to be a pretty strong core of regulars there, but that didn't stop that one guy from tricking LF into buying him skinny jeans.
There were unironic Juche posters in LF so that's not shocking

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

this is amazing to look at

Out of all of the amazingly off-base predictions, the one I'm most astonished by is how many of them thought it wouldn't lead to increased terrorism in the U.S.:wow:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Majorian posted:

Out of all of the amazingly off-base predictions, the one I'm most astonished by is how many of them thought it wouldn't lead to increased terrorism in the U.S.:wow:

I don't know why you think that's wrong. No doubt it got quite a few terrorists to go to Iraq to kill people there instead of here. Ultra-Right White Supremacists, that is

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

I don't know why you think that's wrong.

Little thing called ISIS, for starters?:confused:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You kinda ignored the rest of the post.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

You kinda ignored the rest of the post.

I didn't, I just read it wrong.:)

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Very few people buy homes specifically for the mortgage interest deduction. Most people who own homes don't even understand it, and many get a fairly minimal benefit from it. If you're a married couple you already have a standard deduction over $12,000. So, assuming no other itemized deductions (and most people have pretty few itemized deductions) you need mortgage interest of over 12k to have any benefit. to have 12k in mortgage interest per year at today's rates, you're looking at mortgage of over $300k, which means probable a house worth $360,000, which is close to double the median home price. A single filer with a $6k standard deduction is much more likely to get some benefit out of it, but even then it's generally not a huge benefit. The decision whether to buy or rent is not going to rest on this deduction, it's going to be waaaay down on the list.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Very few people buy homes specifically for the mortgage interest deduction. Most people who own homes don't even understand it, and many get a fairly minimal benefit from it. If you're a married couple you already have a standard deduction over $12,000. So, assuming no other itemized deductions (and most people have pretty few itemized deductions) you need mortgage interest of over 12k to have any benefit. to have 12k in mortgage interest per year at today's rates, you're looking at mortgage of over $300k, which means probable a house worth $360,000, which is close to double the median home price. A single filer with a $6k standard deduction is much more likely to get some benefit out of it, but even then it's generally not a huge benefit. The decision whether to buy or rent is not going to rest on this deduction, it's going to be waaaay down on the list.

Except you forgot the other itemized deductions that offset the mortgage deduction and make itemizing more likely. And you also get the PX regardless of whether you itemize or not which this plan removes

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

I am taking full responsibility. I am literally putting my face on it, making videos (first one should go up today) etc. I am completely accountable for the entire thing, so I hope that instills a bit of trust.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

I am taking full responsibility. I am literally putting my face on it, making videos (first one should go up today) etc. I am completely accountable for the entire thing, so I hope that instills a bit of trust.

Ok but how large is your desire for skinny jeans?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

I prefer dresses and skirts to pants anytime I can get away with it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Brother_Aziz needed those pants.

I like to think that if you're at the point in your life where you're ripping off a bunch of well-meaning internet forum users and lying about needing pants for an interview then you have more problems then I do and therefore need the money

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Except you forgot the other itemized deductions that offset the mortgage deduction and make itemizing more likely. And you also get the PX regardless of whether you itemize or not which this plan removes

I didn't forget the personal exemption, removing it is bad. I'm just responding to the very specific statement that "people don't buy houses for the deduction" which is absolutely 100% true.

Edit: Although, I will say the vast majority of my clients do not get a state income tax deduction because of where I'm located so that might be influencing my perceptions of who itemizes and who doesn't.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I didn't forget the personal exemption, removing it is bad. I'm just responding to the very specific statement that "people don't buy houses for the deduction" which is absolutely 100% true.

Edit: Although, I will say the vast majority of my clients do not get a state income tax deduction because of where I'm located so that might be influencing my perceptions of who itemizes and who doesn't.

I itemize and am a single filer, and my taxes will go up most likely.

I'm fine with being an edge case, but that doesn't mean it isn't bullshit, especially since the rest of the plan gives giant cuts to the wealthy and corporations.

I'd gladly pay more taxes for proper UHC or UBI or other such progressive programs.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

hanales posted:

I itemize and am a single filer, and my taxes will go up most likely.

I'm fine with being an edge case, but that doesn't mean it isn't bullshit, especially since the rest of the plan gives giant cuts to the wealthy and corporations.

I'd gladly pay more taxes for proper UHC or UBI or other such progressive programs.

Yes, I agree the "reforms" as displayed in the framework are bad. I'm literally just responding to the idea that people buy homes because of the deduction. Was the deduction part of your decision to buy a home? How much on average per year has the mortgage interest deduction saved you? Would you have not bought a home without it? That's what I'm responding to.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I wish I was surprised at the mortgage deduction debate.

I'm vaguely for it but it's, like, the least important element of the tax reform stuff imaginable.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Goons funded a school in haiti.

Goons also funded swap.avi and Doobie's Dawg House.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

kzin602 posted:

Goons funded a school in haiti.

Goons also funded swap.avi and Doobie's Dawg House.

I want to know about all these.

I know of the Grover House.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I wish I was surprised at the mortgage deduction debate.

I'm vaguely for it but it's, like, the least important element of the tax reform stuff imaginable.

A bad man said a true thing while defending a bad thing and because I'm a terrible goon autist I need to make sure everyone knows that I think:

1) The man is bad
2) The bad thing is bad
3) The true thing is true

And that's stupid and bad and I regret ever being a part of it because both the man and the thing are bad.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

We used to have a thread and get updates on the school. I actually wonder about it now that all the hurricanes tore through, but regardless, it was a genuine good thing.

SA actually did some legit, real world good. I would like to capture that spirit and do it again.

This time it is goons helping goons. TGRS has a minority-majority population, which are more likely to be devalued, disenfranchised and in vulnerable positions.

We were successful raising funds for posters before and we would like to do it on a bigger scale.

I'm really trying to put myself out there and do some good with this. I know I say this all the time but it's true: I genuinely care about the posters here and I want to help everyone any way that I can. My door is always open to all of you.

❤❤❤

edit: but not my literal door. Some of yall are creepy.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 28, 2017

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Here's the school.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521233

The saga of a racist alabama hot dog man, and the goon's children that gave up Christmas
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910

swap.avi is a goon funded porn, best described as a reverse snuff film, it kills you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

It's spelled "groverhaus.":colbert:

• Locked thread