Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simble
May 11, 2004

atari clearly ahead of their time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LinYutang posted:

how is a phone keypad useful on a game controller

Mmo shortcuts I guess?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Atari 5200, Colecovision, and Intellivision all had keypads because they were for Serious Games

they were also released in 1982, 1982, and 1979 respectively

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I good

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
the intellivision controller was way ahead of its time imo. the form factor and even the way it's held and used isn't much different from a smartphone

plus by dual-wielding the controllers in single player you could get something very close to dual stick controls (e.g. in Microsurgeon you could move with the left directional disc and fire with the right)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

LinYutang posted:

how is a phone keypad useful on a game controller

lmao look at this guy that never had a colecovision

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the disc things on the intellivision and the joysticks on the coleco controllers were both really bad though

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

The_Franz posted:

the disc things on the intellivision and the joysticks on the coleco controllers were both really bad though

I never had a problem with the discs but holy poo poo did the side buttons kill your thumbs

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ffs guys you're making me feel young

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Finster Dexter posted:

lmao look at this guy that never had a colecovision

loved the rubbery feel of the number pads on the colecovision

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jaguar technical manual posted:

The GPU is a full 32-bit processor in that all internal data paths are 32-bits wide, and all arithmetic instructions (except multiply) perform 32-bit computations.

well yes because that would be too easy when I want to multiply two 16.16 matrices together wouldn't it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Luigi Thirty posted:

well yes because that would be too easy when I want to multiply two 16.16 matrices together wouldn't it

maybe multiply is 64 bits to handle overflows in hardw- hmm? yeah I'm up, I'm up. weird dream

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Plank Walker posted:

atari could finally make a good E.T. game

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
pity there was never a Star Raiders for Jaguar

best 2600 game to use the keypad

unlike BASIC Programming which was so convoluted to use due to the limits of the hardware it was much more like a weird abstract adventure game than a programming environment

64 bytes of user memory and the environment leaks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the rumor is BASIC Programming was only released because someone threatened to sue them for calling it the Video Computer System and not being programmable. this is also the origin of the Chess game, there was a chess piece on the box and someone sued them because no chess

[quote="“Phobeste”" post="“476832969”"]
maybe multiply is 64 bits to handle overflows in hardw- hmm? yeah I’m up, I’m up. weird dream
[/quote]

even weirder: there's already an overflow register used for 64-bit writes! but the MULT instruction is 16-bit.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

okay i'm dumb again and not sure how to implement this multiplication here with just 16-bit multiplies

here's my logic so far. the number format is 16.16 two's complement.

code:
	;; Mask off the high word
	movei	#$0000FFFF,LOWORD_MASK

;; Multiply the high words of the two numbers together.
	load	(LEFT_VALUE),TEMP1
	load	(RIGHT_VALUE),TEMP2
	shrq	#16,TEMP1	;shift right
	shrq	#16,TEMP2	;shift right
	mult	TEMP1,TEMP2
	shlq	#16,TEMP2	;shift result left to become the high word of the 16.16 result
	move	TEMP2,MULT_RESULT ;put into the result register

;; Multiply the low words of the two numbers together.
	load	(LEFT_VALUE),TEMP1
	load	(RIGHT_VALUE),TEMP2
	and	LOWORD_MASK,TEMP1	;mask off everything but the fraction
	and	LOWORD_MASK,TEMP2	;mask off everything but the fraction
	mult	TEMP1,TEMP2		;16-bit multiply, 32-bit result.
	add	TEMP2,MULT_RESULT	;put into the low word of the result - overflow is accounted for
i'm separating the numbers into the integer and fraction, multiplying each separately, and combining them in the result register.

how do we take into account operands less than 1? for 1.0 * 0.5, this routine would do: (1*0) + (0.5*0) = 0.

is the proper algorithm... A.i * B.i + A.i * B.f + A.f * B.i + A.f * B.f?

1.0 * 0.5 = (1.0 * 0.0) + (1.0 * 0.5) + (0.0 * 0.0) + (0.0 * 0.5) = 0.5
2.5 * 2.5 = (2.0 * 2.0) + (2.0 * 0.5) + (0.5 * 2.0) + (0.5 * 0.5) = 6.25

oh okay looks like it is? hooray another problem i solved while typing out a post apparently

e: but we have 32-bit operands again and only a 16-bit multiply! aaag

e2: oh nevermind. for integer * float, shift the integer right 16 bits and multiply

multiply 0x00100000 and 0x00008000

0x10 * 0x8000 = 0x80000, half of 0x00100000

thanks yospos you're a great note pad

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 28, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So your multiply has 16 bit inputs and a 32 bit output, yes?

Essentially there are four components you add up to make that into a 32 in/64 out multiply:

code:
A.h * B.h
     A.h * B.l
     A.l * B.h
          A.l * B.l

If your numbers are in 16.16 form, you want the middle 32 bits - i.e. A.h*B.l + A.l*B.h + (A.h*B.h << 16) + (A.l*B.l >> 16).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
C# is c++++

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

IT'S HERE

the flash cart is somewhere between me and poland :(

oh my god.

i'm finally getting to write some c#7 at work, it's nice.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jabor posted:

So your multiply has 16 bit inputs and a 32 bit output, yes?

Essentially there are four components you add up to make that into a 32 in/64 out multiply:

code:
A.h * B.h
     A.h * B.l
     A.l * B.h
          A.l * B.l
If your numbers are in 16.16 form, you want the middle 32 bits - i.e. A.h*B.l + A.l*B.h + (A.h*B.h << 16) + (A.l*B.l >> 16).

okay thanks I rewrote my monster of a function (I ran into all kinds of problems with negative numbers) to do that and I'll see what happens

e: curses! i'm foiled by a bug in my assembler. i can't write my own JSR/RTS macros because trying to fetch the program counter crashes it with an internal error :mad:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
◜++
◟++

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

the rumor is BASIC Programming was only released because someone threatened to sue them for calling it the Video Computer System and not being programmable.

I thought it was an import tariff thing, if it was a computer it was on a different schedule than a game

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm gonna start pronouncing js as 'juice' at work

"you kids and you node.juice!"

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
the juice is loose

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

clearly it is node.jiss

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

jony neuemonic posted:

oh my god.

i'm finally getting to write some c#7 at work, it's nice.

grats op!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FamDav posted:

i wonder if kids are going to think hashtag is some weird german loanword

when I was a child, before computers, when it was just an useless key on the telephone, I used to call it "little tic-tac-toe"

to be honest I still dont know whats the right word for it in portuguese

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

the theory at the time was "video games are complex so they're gonna need more buttons"

sega responded with a 6-button controller
the snes controller already had a million buttons
atari bolted a phone keypad onto the rear end end of a 3-button controller and packed overlays in with games that came unstuck if you looked at them wrong

realizing their mistake, they soon released... the Jaguar Pro Controller

the d-pad is fine and the buttons are responsive, the controller is just too goddamn big and the phone keypad is impossible to use in the middle of a game

didn't the snes only have four buttons + two shoulder? it's the n64 that i remember as being the beast

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

so the skunkboard driver is unsigned and windows 10 hates it. i don't want to disable driver signature enforcement forever. the source code and everything is included so I can build my own .inf and .cat. can I sign it with a dummy personal cert somehow so windows stops whining?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah get your own cert 2 sign w/. you can either buy one (lol) or generate a self signed one or if you have a local CA get it from there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fritz posted:

didn't the snes only have four buttons + two shoulder? it's the n64 that i remember as being the beast

The n64 controller was the most comfortable controller I ever used. That controller is really polarizing and I would bet the split is completely small hands vs large hands.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the problem with soap is that it assumes a minimum degree of competence on both sides

i'm sure these clowns are manually creating their wsdl and their soap xml packets

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shaggar posted:

yeah get your own cert 2 sign w/. you can either buy one (lol) or generate a self signed one or if you have a local CA get it from there.

apparently it's just a standard libusb driver recompiled with a different device name. i found a signed windows 10 libusb driver and it works fine.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fritz posted:

snes controller: d-pad, four face buttons, two shoulder buttons, start/select buttons
n64: d-pad, six face buttons, two shoulder buttons, control stick, z button, start button

source: im a big nerd

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

apparently it's just a standard libusb driver recompiled with a different device name. i found a signed windows 10 libusb driver and it works fine.

cool

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

the problem with soap is that it assumes a minimum degree of competence on both sides

i'm sure these clowns are manually creating their wsdl and their soap xml packets

soap as sweet hacker "services"; interface defined by snippets

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quiggy posted:

snes controller: d-pad, four face buttons, two shoulder buttons, start/select buttons
n64: d-pad, six face buttons, two shoulder buttons, control stick, z button, start button

source: im a big nerd

i was counting start/select as 'not real buttons'

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

The n64 controller was the most comfortable controller I ever used. That controller is really polarizing and I would bet the split is completely small hands vs large hands.

I don't know how big my hands are but 1000% this

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
snes controllers use a packet-based protocol to save on wires, with the Genesis it's a serial port and direct wires

to go to 6 face buttons, they added a select bit (1 out of the console means wires are the original, 0 means new buttons or vice versa) and im not really sure how they smoothed it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the jaguar controller literally uses a db-15 plug

tempest 2000 supported an unreleased rotary controller so enterprising people figured out how to mod the controllers with a rotary knob from a 2600 driving controller too. the cart and some other homebrew games like arkanoid clones support modded controllers.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 29, 2017

• Locked thread