Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I will take anything above /p/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The domain moodilylitplumbing.com is available.

What the gently caress even is this? Have I suffered a head injury and woken up in 1992?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/zara915/status/895616858547777536

I, uh, wouldn't call it stunning, myself, politics aside.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kenny Logins posted:

Christ, any yahoo with an iphone could take a better snap

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

From her low effort, I don't care cell phone series. Not enough care to level the horizon even.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rio posted:

From her low effort, I don't care cell phone series. Not enough care to level the horizon even.
Yeah, that's what struck me. The background is also boring as hell and if there's an intent there I'm not seeing it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kenny Logins posted:

Yeah, that's what struck me. The background is also boring as hell and if there's an intent there I'm not seeing it.

Maybe it will look okay once her team of backroom editors have straightened and cropped it, sorted the colour, dropped in some stolen imagery in the background and thrown a couple of Instagram filters over it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
C'mon, guys, after all her spending caught up with her, and her CAD$2.5M share of a Canadian tax dodge fell through, you can't blame her for cutting corners and wanting to keep as much of the shoot budget in her pocket as possible.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Does the Dorkroom have an adopt a newbie program or something similar? I'm looking for some help/mentoring with product photography.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

drowningidiot posted:

Does the Dorkroom have an adopt a newbie program or something similar? I'm looking for some help/mentoring with product photography.

Show us what you've already taken.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

:justpost: Lots of people like to help here. Brutally honest help but that is the best kind

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yond Cassius posted:

C'mon, guys, after all her spending caught up with her, and her CAD$2.5M share of a Canadian tax dodge fell through, you can't blame her for cutting corners and wanting to keep as much of the shoot budget in her pocket as possible.

I like that she's using an x100 series camera in that article, at least. I also like the apocryphal stories about her spending, like dropping $100k for a RS cover shoot that only paid $25k.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

drowningidiot posted:

First thing to do is to hit up amazon for a softbox or to make one yourself (easy). Start there and post your stuff in whatever thread or here and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

huhu posted:

Show us what you've already taken.

VelociBacon posted:

First thing to do is to hit up amazon for a softbox or to make one yourself (easy). Start there and post your stuff in whatever thread or here and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

A tiny bit of backstory so people know where I'm at. I work for a small marijuana company and through a combination of nepotism and doing well at my other duties I was given a job doing our product photography. I'm newbie as hell and never even picked up anything more complicated than a point and shoot until this. There's still a ton of basic poo poo I need to learn. I generally just put some dried pot or a top bud in front of a white craft foam sweep and snap away and my editor does her best to turn it into something usable. I probably make her life hell :smith:

Here's a few examples:

What I'm currently stuck on is trying to shoot our containers which is the main reason I'm posting here. I need to shoot 1 large and 1 small bottle with some weed. I haven't even gotten to the weed part yet because I can't get the bottle to look right. My least favorite part of it is the milky white thing happening around the edges. The lighting is just...hosed.

Here's my initial attempt at a large bottle

Here's a mockup of what I'm aiming for

Here's what I'm using:

Canon EOS Rebel T6s
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens
some cheap generic light tent which I haven't had much luck with
Two of these lights:

I guess my first question is can I make do with these lights? Do they just need soft boxes or do I need a different type of light altogether? I feel like our setup is pretty shoddy and needs upgrading but maybe I'm just a dumb idiot and don't know how to use what I have.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You need an actual product softbox like this:

You can find them cheap but there are also dozens of online guides for how to make them also quite cheap.

Are those lights you're using actual grow lamps?

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

You need an actual product softbox like this:

You can find them cheap but there are also dozens of online guides for how to make them also quite cheap.

Are those lights you're using actual grow lamps?

That box looks pretty similar to the one I have: https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer%C2%AE-...udio+light+tent

I'd be more than happy to pick up a new one or something more suitable if need be.

The lights aren't grow lamps. I'm pretty sure they're made for photography but I'm not 100% sure.

the sticker on the back says 115-120VAC 50Hz FL-360 / 120V if that helps at all. I think they're just kinda crappy old photography lights somebody here bought at an auction a few years back.

drowningidiot fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 11, 2017

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It's probably obvious, but most of the "milky" edge you're getting is due to the white walls on either side being too close and reflecting back onto the glossy container. You might be able to cover the front part of the side walls with gray or black paper and eliminate a bunch of it. You don't need to cover the whole wall, just the part from the bottle forwards. If you can somehow move those walls away from the bottle an extra foot or two, that'll also help a lot.

Also consider bringing your lighting down until you're juuust about to lose definition on the blackest parts of the bottle.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don't care about your photography anymore because I am super jealous of your job.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Yeah, get some black cards left and right of the subject, just out of frame. Big piece of black cardboard/posterboard will work.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Keep all your photos, folks. Out of nowhere I get a message from the coach of my college alma mater's women's basketball team asking if I had a photo of a particular player going up against another player from a game in 2011. Dug them up, sent her some, and she bought/licensed one from me to be used as part of a collage on their office wall.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

dakana posted:

Keep all your photos, folks. Out of nowhere I get a message from the coach of my college alma mater's women's basketball team asking if I had a photo of a particular player going up against another player from a game in 2011. Dug them up, sent her some, and she bought/licensed one from me to be used as part of a collage on their office wall.

Sometimes the most innocuous things turn out to be really big.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I made a rookie advice thread to point new people to. It would have been better if I didn't gently caress up the title a bit, but that's irony for you.

It's a "provide advice to rookies" rather than "rookies post questions no one wants to take the time to answer", so hopefully this angle will garner a bit more interest.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

This Famous Pepper Photo by Edward Weston Was a 4hr+ Exposure at f/240.

This photo recently turned 90 years old.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

It's even more stunning when you see it in person.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That is so rad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

This came up on petapixel/dpreview today, and I thought it was interesting: 4 Top NYC Photographers Shoot the Same Model. Each photog got to choose an outfit/location for all 4 to shoot. Neat idea for a contest.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/incantatricks/status/902702112223748101

I think we can finally wrap it up.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

I'm at a loss for words.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That is a very abstract loss.jpg

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

5 loving star

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

rio posted:

That is a very abstract loss.jpg

Oh son of a bitch

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kodak unveils the Printomatic: A point-and-shoot 'instant print' camera.

The fact that the prints are adhesive remind me of the old Polaroid I-Zone in the late 90's/early 2000's, before Nokia camera phones came along and ate its lunch with the youths. Weirdly enough, this new Kodak is even more automatic than that was (you could choose cloudy, sunny or indoors exposure with the I-Zone).

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Too bad zink paper looks like garbage.

In similar news, Polaroid has a countdown on their site right now with just over a day left, marking the 40th anniversary of... something. They'll probably be announcing a new instant camera themselves.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 12, 2017

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Also I had a zink printer for exactly one week before it just stopped printing certain colors for no reason. Meanwhile my instax printer has been drunkenly dropped so many times I almost feel bad about it and still works fine.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I had a Dell Zink printer that I liked around 2009 or so, but then I lost the charger and the battery sat for so long it no longer worked (after I found a variable voltage power supply to replace it, a new charger was more than a goddamn new printer by that point).

I'd consider buying one again, especially if I was doing more traveling in developing countries.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
For any UK Dorkroom Goons:
I had a work selected for the Royal Photographic Society's annual exhibition. It opens in London on 12-16 October, and then on to other venues around the country. Check it out if you're nearby!
http://www.rps.org/ipe160

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

For any UK Dorkroom Goons:
I had a work selected for the Royal Photographic Society's annual exhibition. It opens in London on 12-16 October, and then on to other venues around the country. Check it out if you're nearby!
http://www.rps.org/ipe160

drat it, i'd like to. Whereabouts in the States might it end up? Does the Royal Society send them here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

torgeaux posted:

drat it, i'd like to. Whereabouts in the States might it end up? Does the Royal Society send them here?

Hmm, not that I know of. I'll definitely say so if they do though, because I'd love to check it out myself. I used to live in London but I'm in the Bay Area now and I can't fly back for just one showing.