Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
WA has comparatively good employment insurance where I got $600 a week for up to six months while I looked for another job, which at the time was about 40% of my salary. For "fun" I looked it up in other countries and wanted to weep when I found out that Sweden's was like 90% of your salary for one year and 75% for another year after that or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Yup. You can tell it’s a long lens from the way the Bokeh has melted in the background + a shallow depth of field.

Looks far more like a 50-80mm, which is what I would bring to an indoor press conference.
And again..he would have to have been two blocks away for a press conference to use a 400mm.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think Obama boosted the cut-off to where you had to get mandatory time-and-a-half OT to something like anyone making below $40,000 a year, but Trump/the Repbulicans are moving to revoke this rule and get it back to IIRC about $25,000 a year.

It was up to I think 48k or thereabouts. The thing is, and this is insanely common in the retail/food industries is to make people managers, pay them just above the line for making OT on salary, and then require them to pick up any shifts that would otherwise put the hourly employees on OT.

A judge reversed the EO, and it's back to ~25k.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are basically no standards for classifying someone as a "professional". Actually the new hotness is classifying all your employees as independent contractors so you don't have to pay payroll taxes or give benefits.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There are basically no standards for classifying someone as a "professional". Actually the new hotness is classifying all your employees as independent contractors so you don't have to pay payroll taxes or give benefits.

When I taught piano they did this and it just meant everyone but me got hosed at audit for not remitting tax.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A lot of people (myself included) are saying that this is the sole purpose Uber exists: to convince the government (namely the courts) that this is kosher.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norns posted:

And shut up before you even tell me to sleep DoctorGonzo

Nice meltdown

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

A lot of people (myself included) are saying that this is the sole purpose Uber exists: to convince the government (namely the courts) that this is kosher.

This is why I call bullshit on the whole "Automation is going to take away jobs" poo poo. What's really happening is people gladly support these companies that entire business model is "If we erode the poo poo out of employment standards and rights we can undercut the competition while taking a huge profit." So suddenly there's less full time positions in the economy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

This is why I call bullshit on the whole "Automation is going to take away jobs" poo poo. What's really happening is people gladly support these companies that entire business model is "If we erode the poo poo out of employment standards and rights we can undercut the competition while taking a huge profit." So suddenly there's less full time positions in the economy.

the funny part is that they don't make a huge profit at all and are in fact losing shitloads of money

The thing about why taxi firms were grubby, low-rent scammy companies before Uber came along is because there actually isn't a lot of money in running taxi cabs in the US. Which Uber is discovering to their sorrow.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the funny part is that they don't make a huge profit at all and are in fact losing shitloads of money

The thing about why taxi firms were grubby, low-rent scammy companies before Uber came along is because there actually isn't a lot of money in running taxi cabs in the US. Which Uber is discovering to their sorrow.

To be fair they're still in the "drive competition out of the market" phase. If they do put taxi firms out of business the idiots that say how convenient and cheap it is will suddenly be paying out the rear end for the exact same service.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If this was 50 years ago and Uber accomplished that regulators would just say they're too big and break them up. Lol at that happening now though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know London proceeded to boot Uber because of its hiring practices, which ultimately may be its downfall if anything.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Uber can't drive competition out of the market because Lyft is doing the exact same thing, taxis are migrating to the same kind of platform, and there are countless regional ridesharing apps. Their goal now is to develop self driving cars first so that they can eliminate labor costs and undercut the competition that way, but they're not even particularly mature in that field. They are totally hosed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Transit in the US is not a profit-making venture except for very edge cases. VCs are incredibly stupid.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They'll still go public relatively soon and the VCs will be able to cash out with a pretty good return, at least the ones that got in relatively early.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Disrupting the market is literally just garbage lingo for undercutting and invading markets till you can automate everything. The future sucks

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

VCs are incredibly stupid.

I've got a loving business degree and harboured no aspirations to start and own a business but between that dumb juicer poo poo this year and learning last week that the owner of a decently sized oilfield services company has a loving criminology degree I'm starting to warm to the idea.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You could always make the next Star Citizen.

(tangential: the SC forum is now a general "Crowdfunding" forum)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Disrupting the market is literally just garbage lingo for undercutting and invading markets till you can automate everything. The future sucks

I was going to type up this big thing about how the future wouldn't suck if we put more value into corporate social responsibility and consumer rights over being able to easily order Chinese food through some stupid app but instead I'll just say there is a fairly large correlation between the issues we as a society face and the fact that Wicka is absolutely hated in the apple thread.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

iospace posted:

You could always make the next Star Citizen.

(tangential: the SC forum is now a general "Crowdfunding" forum)

Is it out yet?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I was going to type up this big thing about how the future wouldn't suck if we put more value into corporate social responsibility and consumer rights over being able to easily order Chinese food through some stupid app but instead I'll just say there is a fairly large correlation between the issues we as a society face and the fact that Wicka is absolutely hated in the apple thread.

At least one of those things is entirely my fault.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Schlesische posted:

:agreed:

On Bikechat, I think I read somewhere that in MotoGP Ducatis are weird as hell to ride and it takes autistic weirdos like Casey Stoner or people who are just that much better to make them not garbage. Is this true?

Going back to this, but broadly speaking yes. It's less true now with modern electronic aids but yeah. The Duc for a long time had brutal power and a carbon fiber chassis with the engine as a stressed member which made it unruly as gently caress to ride, which Rossi discovered to his chagrin. I think it was during Rossi's tenure they went to an aluminium twin spar chassis and the electronics caught up a bit, but it's still widely regarded as a brute compared to the Japanese bikes. The tyre changes seem to have helped a bit too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Weirdly enough Nicky Hayden ended up getting around as much out of the Ducati as Rossi did.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I always found it a little bizarre that Rossi struggled with the Ducati's power delivery. Dude won a 500cc championship, those things looks absolutely brutal when you watch them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the end of the 500cc run they had figured out engine timing which made them much easier to handle iirc.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I always found it a little bizarre that Rossi struggled with the Ducati's power delivery. Dude won a 500cc championship, those things looks absolutely brutal when you watch them.

Ducati is garbage and is clearly one of those bikes that is only really good when someone who has a specific set of skills that can fall into the eye of the needle riding style niche to make it work.

Rossi is a living deity but the Ducati clearly only favours the super niche riders.

Also Rossi's Dayglo branding didn't really work with Red at all.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Sorry yanks, Im just about a literal binman (work at a landfill) and you can be drat sure I get OT for anything after 7.6 hrs and penalty rates on the weekend

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

AgentJotun posted:

Sorry yanks, Im just about a literal binman (work at a landfill) and you can be drat sure I get OT for anything after 7.6 hrs and penalty rates on the weeken

Are you some sort of landfill engineer or an actual binman?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

Are you some sort of landfill engineer or an actual binman?

Based on his last few posts, it's more likely he's the trash :smug: *

*I don't actually feel this way, but can't pass up the opportunity to make this joke

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

Based on his last few posts, it's more likely he's the trash :smug: *

*I don't actually feel this way, but can't pass up the opportunity to make this joke

No no its fine, your basically correct anyway.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I don't know what the gently caress you're all talking about because I just skipped reading 300+ posts about cars and poo poo posting but I'd just like to say I'm borderline ecstatic that Malaysia is back at a sensible local time so I get to watch it early Sunday morning live! yay.

Now let's wait for crushing disappointment to kick in to ruin the rest of my Sunday.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In most professional jobs, in fact, you can be de-facto compelled by your boss to work over 40 hours a week without extra compensation with no recourse if you get fired for refusing. In virtually every state this would be a misconduct dismissal (insubordination) which would prevent you from claiming unemployment insurance. This is basically standard industry practice in the tech/IT industry now.

This is england/france as well

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

ilmucche posted:

This is england/france as well

Sorry what? What kind of jobs are we talking about here because if I have to stay later/work outside my usual contracted hours I take that time off another day, that's what's written in my contract and frankly if a company tried to sneak a "You have to work extra hours when we say so for no compensation" clause in that's a huge red flag in England at least.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Kill your boss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gret posted:

WTF? Qualifying is at 4am? gently caress this poo poo.

Yeah the time zones work out pretty poorly.

That said I'm actually more in favor of staying up till 2 AM for the race rather than waking up at 6 AM.

Norns posted:

I should probably actually watch this one live. Been spoiled on the last 2 races before even watching.

Same, so really gonna try to watch this one live.

I caught the last half of Singapore live but by then it was mostly over. Saw the races earlier in the season live and it was more exciting when I didn't know the ending already. Monza was super spoiled for me.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

NtotheTC posted:

Sorry what? What kind of jobs are we talking about here because if I have to stay later/work outside my usual contracted hours I take that time off another day, that's what's written in my contract and frankly if a company tried to sneak a "You have to work extra hours when we say so for no compensation" clause in that's a huge red flag in England at least.

unless you work for some tyrannical zero hours contract slave-driver, any work done outside your normal hours in the UK is either done at 1.5x or 2x your normal wage, or you can take the option for a day off in lieu. For regular hourly paid jobs, any overtime would be at the standard rate for that time of day

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Carth Dookie posted:

Going back to this, but broadly speaking yes. It's less true now with modern electronic aids but yeah. The Duc for a long time had brutal power and a carbon fiber chassis with the engine as a stressed member which made it unruly as gently caress to ride, which Rossi discovered to his chagrin. I think it was during Rossi's tenure they went to an aluminium twin spar chassis and the electronics caught up a bit, but it's still widely regarded as a brute compared to the Japanese bikes. The tyre changes seem to have helped a bit too.
Kevin Cameron said Ducati's design philosophy was to make the engine as powerful as possible and then try to make it rideable. Whereas Yamaha made the best handling bike so they won everything. Also Honda sucks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey we have the freedom to exploit our labor force. FREEDOM!

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
America disrupted the market on freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

NtotheTC posted:

Engineering.

• Locked thread