Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

drat Irritating Murder Pits

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DIMPS: Die In My Pit, Stupid

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey, I ordered a humble bundle recently but already owned the Sonic games on it, so here are some free keys!

Sonic Adventure 2
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=HB34kyTvk57nUCRd

Sonic Generations
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=NmctwE5svXxHaZBX

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

If you ask me they should call them DUMPS

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mikedawson posted:

Hey, I ordered a humble bundle recently but already owned the Sonic games on it, so here are some free keys!

Sonic Adventure 2
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=HB34kyTvk57nUCRd

Snip! Thanks friend I didn't actually have the Steam port of SA2 and I've actually been hankering for a replay of the game lately. My heartfelt thanks. :kiddo:

I didn't take the Generations code so it's still up for someone else.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikedawson posted:

I miss Beep By Grandpa. :(

Beep may not be here yet, but here's another Cybershell video to keep us safe and strong. :unsmith:

Skeletome posted:

If you ask me they should call them DUMPS

Metal Gear Rising makes me want to call them DOOMPS instead.

Mikedawson posted:

Cool, I bought the same bundle too and got my own copies off of it! :D

Speaking of bundles, I got a question about the Sonic deals in Bundlestar. Any recommendations what games I should get? I've only recently got a Steam account, so I have Generations, SA2, Mania and Sonic 1. Are Sonic 2 and CD on Steam the Christian Whitehead version? Are the Sonic racing games good?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

CD is the remake, but Sonic 2 is the original; it has Steam Workshop mods as a result though. Can't speak for the original, but Racing Transformed is excellent.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

All Stars Racing 1 is pretty much Mario Kart Wii but with SEGA characters. It's pretty good!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Don't hide that cybershell video behind a link! Embed it in its full glory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QHaJbCj4c

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of bundles, I got a question about the Sonic deals in Bundlestar. Any recommendations what games I should get? I've only recently got a Steam account, so I have Generations, SA2, Mania and Sonic 1. Are Sonic 2 and CD on Steam the Christian Whitehead version? Are the Sonic racing games good?
imo racing transformed is the best kart game I've ever played, the track variety is loving fantastic. The Golden Axe level is gorgeous.

Sonic 1-3K are all mega drive hub, which has the downside of not being retro engine but the upside of mods. Sonic 1's no hud mod is great, and obviously everyone should played Sonic 3 Complete.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh no

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Who actually cares what classic sonic's physics are like in Forces

As long as it controls fine he can walk up or down whatever walls he wants to, we got Mania for the Accurate Classic Experience

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oof. I knew Mania would make classic Sonic look bad in forces but geez.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“Amppelix”" post="“476865910”"]
Who actually cares what classic sonic’s physics are like in Forces

As long as it controls fine he can walk up or down whatever walls he wants to, we got Mania for the Accurate Classic Experience
[/quote]

It's disappointing that at least half of Forces will be not fun to play. I felt the same way about the classic sections in Generations and these look much worse.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 29, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Amppelix posted:

well seeing as how you're going to have to play those levels to unlock more modern levels I think it makes sense to care about it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I dunno the classic physics weren't good but most of the levels were still fine enough. Not horrifying like four, certainly not amazing like retro engine, but playable above mediocre.

Hey on that note, for ceiling running in S3K, did you need to reverse directions or is that new to retro engine? I don't remember that getting me so much in earlier games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amppelix posted:

"who cares how he controls as long as he controls fine"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The 2d levels of sonic forces should just boot up a copy of sonic mania and/or sonic 3k. Perfect sonic game achieved

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

I dunno the classic physics weren't good but most of the levels were still fine enough. Not horrifying like four, certainly not amazing like retro engine, but playable above mediocre.

Hey on that note, for ceiling running in S3K, did you need to reverse directions or is that new to retro engine? I don't remember that getting me so much in earlier games.

i still maintain you had to hold the direction in the classic games, and i did that in mania and it seemed to work

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The physics don't have to be 1:1 with the classics to be fun to play. Sonic 4's physics weren't just different, they were actively unfun.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://twitter.com/itsamike/status/913469810759041024

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's disappointing that at least half of Forces will be not fun to play. I felt the same way about the classic sections in Generations and these look much worse.

You seem incredibly determined to hate a game you haven't played yet.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well he could :v: Kinda.

There's Sonic Forces for your phone already out. It's a online racing game in the style of the endless runner games (and designed by the same people who made Sonic Dash), where you race 3 other people on short tracks to unlock more tracks, characters and whatnot. It's okay, but God I hope that the music isn't indicative of any sort of song in the real Forces, cause it's mind-numbingly grating. It's like physical pain to listen to.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Incredibly determined? I just watched the videos and it simply looks like a bad game. I've played enough games to tell that without having to play it.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 29, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The sonic forces 2d segments look like a significant step back from the sonic generations 2d segments, which is weird, because it's not like they lost the blue print between games

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My biggest beef with forces is that it somehow manages to look worse than generations, and that came out six years ago.

It just looks like a total lack of effort, even moreso when you compare it to the obvious love and attention that went into Mania.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

SeANMcBAY posted:

Incredibly determined? I just watched the videos and it simply looks like a bad game. I've played enough games to tell that without having to play it.

The 3D Sonic games have a pretty good reputation so I don't know why you won't give this a chance

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

You have to hold the opposite of the direction you want to go in. For example, there's a section in Mushroom Hill zone where you can run on the ceiling after going through a half-loop. Run left into the half loop, and keep holding left. You'll be running right while upside down.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I like this guy. This guy is all right.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rorac posted:

You have to hold the opposite of the direction you want to go in. For example, there's a section in Mushroom Hill zone where you can run on the ceiling after going through a half-loop. Run left into the half loop, and keep holding left. You'll be running right while upside down.
Hmm, I wonder why I never noticed. But are there any parts you remember needing to switch mid-stream? There's a couple points in Studiopolis act 2 or Flying Battery that you need to reverse to hold momentum

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

DarthBlingBling posted:

The 3D Sonic games have a pretty good reputation so I don't know why you won't give this a chance

People have called every single Sonic game in recent years poo poo before release just due to the Sonic Cycle but we still got gems like Colors, Unleashed (well half of it anyways), and Generations. I just generally find it silly to dismiss the game entirely before anyone even has their hands on it.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
If you go poking your fingers in poo poo to find 2.5 gems, you're still gonna get poo poo on your hands.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The UI is so bad

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

YoshiOfYellow posted:

People have called every single Sonic game in recent years poo poo before release just due to the Sonic Cycle but we still got gems like Colors, Unleashed (well half of it anyways), and Generations. I just generally find it silly to dismiss the game entirely before anyone even has their hands on it.
The cycle has created a little culture of people hedging their bets. Hate on the game ahead of time, outsmart the cycle. And if you're wrong no one cares because the game is good.

Or inversely people were expecting a Generations 2 and it just keeps falling down the stairs instead.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you expect the worst you either get what you expected or become pleasantly surprised, some goons seem to have trouble with that idea

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The difference here is this one is a direct mechanical sequel to an existing game, so it's very easy to A/B it with Generations and point out the parts that are explicitly weaker (everything).

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yah but this looks worse than sonic generations, despite being a direct sequel to it

Also Christ sonic generations is 6 years old, I'm old

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Spiderdrake posted:

Hmm, I wonder why I never noticed. But are there any parts you remember needing to switch mid-stream? There's a couple points in Studiopolis act 2 or Flying Battery that you need to reverse to hold momentum

If you hold down in those sections to spin you should keep your momentum whatever happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Eh, I'm just a hopeless optimist so I realize I'm incredibly misplaced in this dead gay internet forum. The footage seen so far does look weak, not contesting that, I'm just withholding utmost judgment for release.