Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Re-watching Luke Cage and god drat the first six episodes are solid. So many great moments. But then we get to the seventh episode and even though this is supposed to be the Villain POV episode, I feel like they were trying to rush and resolve Cottonmouth's plots (Scarfe, etc...) so that they could move on to Mariah and Diamondback. It is still an overall good episode but I still really hate the concept of the Judas bullet even though Mariah explained to Cottonmouth how else to try to kill Cage.

I also felt the episode probably should've ended at Cottonmouth's death and Shades confronting Mariah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They really should've just been like, tank-busting bullets or something, instead of a super special made up bullet grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a guatemalan insane asylum. I mean yeah I get that you want some super-science in your superhero show, but it was the wrong kind of goofy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just liked it better in JJ when the villain went around his powers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lycus posted:

I just liked it better in JJ when the villain went around his powers.

Mariah even brings it up: don't shoot Luke Cage, poison him. Drown him.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Mariah even brings it up: don't shoot Luke Cage, poison him. Drown him.

Nerve gas him?

I mean, I hear tell stuff like sarin's not all that hard to cook up (especially I imagine not for someone with major drug lab connections).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dunk him in boiling acid? Oh wait...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Just slip a week old tuna mayo sandwich into his lunch.

That'll sort him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
use that really big hole and drop him in it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McSpanky posted:

Dunk him in boiling acid? Oh wait...

Probably would have worked without the protective mask - comes up in JJ that Luke's soft tissues like his eyes and the inside of his mouth are no tougher than a normal human.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It seems like we've been getting a ton of Punisher promotional tease videos the last two weeks. Stealth drop coming within the next week or two?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Probably would have worked without the protective mask - comes up in JJ that Luke's soft tissues like his eyes and the inside of his mouth are no tougher than a normal human.

Makes you wonder what would happen if you shot him in the eyes. Granted, the eyelids are very thin, and the eyes not very tough. Wonder if you could rupture them with a big enough bullet even WITH his eyes closed. Or, for that matter, CS his rear end.

EDIT: Even better. He has a major knockdown drag out with some supervillian, cars are thrown, etc, and at the celebratory after dinner, Luke burns the gently caress out of his mouth with some too hot chili or something, so everyone has to give him crap.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 27, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samizdata posted:

Makes you wonder what would happen if you shot him in the eyes. Granted, the eyelids are very thin, and the eyes not very tough. Wonder if you could rupture them with a big enough bullet even WITH his eyes closed. Or, for that matter, CS his rear end.

EDIT: Even better. He has a major knockdown drag out with some supervillian, cars are thrown, etc, and at the celebratory after dinner, Luke burns the gently caress out of his mouth with some too hot chili or something, so everyone has to give him crap.

My first instinct would have been to set him on fire. Sure it'll do nothing to his skin, but inhaling smoke and fire does very, very bad things to the lungs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He got melted by microwaves in a BAD FUTURE comic once. It was gross. His skin was intact, but everything else...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Do people with super strength have super friction to the ground? Maybe just push him off a bridge or carry him somewhere.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If a shotgun blast can disable him, I assume a fall would do damage.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As noted before, it was supremely frustrating that they foreshadowed downing, gas, strangulation, etc and then went with SCIENCE BULLETS. They had a better idea in their heads, it made it into the script, and then they farted out some super bullet nonsense.

CS gas or pepper spray would have made a better plot device, especially since both are already in police department's arsenals. Then the police become something of a threat to Luke, which changes the dynamic and makes him that much more relatable.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Did anyone ever try a Taser on Luke?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

As noted before, it was supremely frustrating that they foreshadowed downing, gas, strangulation, etc and then went with SCIENCE BULLETS. They had a better idea in their heads, it made it into the script, and then they farted out some super bullet nonsense.

CS gas or pepper spray would have made a better plot device, especially since both are already in police department's arsenals. Then the police become something of a threat to Luke, which changes the dynamic and makes him that much more relatable.

Common-sense answers are less good for the longevity of the series than SCIENCE answers, due to scarcity. If drowning almost works in half of season 1 and gas almost works in the other half of season 1, there's really no reason gas+drowning shouldn't work in season 2 . . . like, uhh, I think Voltron always almost got its rear end kicked by one of them evil robuts every time, so why didn't they just send two robuts? With SCIENCE answers, they are exactly as rare as the plot demands.

homullus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 27, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

homullus posted:

Common-sense answers are less good for the longevity of the series than SCIENCE answers, due to scarcity. If drowning almost works in half of season 1 and gas almost works in the other half of season 1, there's really no reason gas+drowning shouldn't work in season 2 . . . like, uhh, I think Voltron always almost got its rear end kicked by one of them evil robuts every time, so why didn't they just send two robuts? With SCIENCE answers, they are exactly as rare as the plot demands.

Plus, if you are using supplies already in police department's/Mother Nature's armory, there's no chance for us to hate the villain more for profiting off murdering the hero.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Did anyone ever try a Taser on Luke?

I think they tried one on him and the prongs bounced off his skin, but that could easily have been one of my many dreams about Mike Colter

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Teek posted:

It seems like we've been getting a ton of Punisher promotional tease videos the last two weeks. Stealth drop coming within the next week or two?

There is a big panel at New York Comic con next week. I wouldn't be surprised if they preview the first episode, then launch soon after.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I could swear I saw a magazine scan that said October 13th.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Plus, if you are using supplies already in police department's/Mother Nature's armory, there's no chance for us to hate the villain more for profiting off murdering the hero.

Also I'm not sure that the entire plotline about arming the police with superweapons would have worked nearly as well if the proposal was to arm them with swimming pools full of acid gas or whatever we've decided isn't too unrealistic for a show about goddamn superheroes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

docbeard posted:

Also I'm not sure that the entire plotline about arming the police with superweapons would have worked nearly as well if the proposal was to arm them with swimming pools full of acid gas or whatever we've decided isn't too unrealistic for a show about goddamn superheroes.

No, but you could have armed the cops with state of the art Hammer Industries nerve gas sprayers provided via Diamondback.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Teek posted:

What reason could they possibly have to stealth drop it? I can't think of any positive reasons.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

What reason could they possibly have to stealth drop it? I can't think of any positive reasons.

Maybe they are angling for The Punisher season 1 subtitle to be "Silent But Deadly."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doctor Butts posted:

There isn't. It was said way back in the spring that the show is dropping in November. I imagine Netflix is playing it close to the chest because Iron Fist and Defenders got pretty tepid reactions amid promotional blitzes, so they're just slowly doling out teases to try and avoid Marvel burn-out among viewers.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 28, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have a weird feeling they don't have much to worry about with Punisher's reception.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I have a weird feeling they don't have much to worry about with Punisher's reception.

They do if it turns out bad

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What could possibly go wrong after homerun hits like Iron Fist?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Punisher seems harder to gently caress up. My great worry is that it will be popular for the wrong reasons.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cythereal posted:

Punisher seems harder to gently caress up. My great worry is that it will be popular for the wrong reasons.

humans gonna human.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Punisher seems harder to gently caress up.

And yet they hosed him up 3 times and counting.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Found the magazine scan about it coming October 13th: https://mcuexchange.com/punisher-alleged-premiere-date/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

And yet they hosed him up 3 times and counting.

This Punisher in particular was hands loving down the bright spot of Daredevil s2, and possibly one of the best takes on the character ever. I really doubt the Punisher show will be bad; worst case scenario, everything around Bernthal will kind of suck but he'll still carry it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

For not being Iron Fist!

Hurr hurr hurr.:v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This Punisher in particular was hands loving down the bright spot of Daredevil s2, and possibly one of the best takes on the character ever.

Daredevil and Jessica Jones were mostly great shows but that didn't keep Defenders from sucking. There are a lot of people involved in making a show good or bad, and the nature of television means not every single person who made Punisher awesome in DDS2 is going to be working on the Punisher show. There's really nothing about Punisher that makes him immune to being Iron Fist or god forbid Defenders. I don't think it's definitely going to be a bad show, but it's not completely impossible either.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

moths posted:

Yeah it was deeply disappointing they didn't go for more creative ways to combat Luke Cage, it would have been interesting to see him get out of different scenarios involving non-bullet related dangers. That was also an amazing scene for Mariah, really showing a cut throat mentality she only hinted at previously.

Which reminds me about another strange thing in the Defenders: what the hell was the Hand's gun policy? Sometimes they'd have like 20 goons and maybe 2 of them had submachine guns to shoot uselessly at Luke Cage and then get dispatched. It was weird how just like, a tiny minority of these guys had guns, rather than maybe, all of them? Maybe useless against Luke Cage but highly useful against the other 3. It'd be one thing if they had some sort of convenient no-gun policy but, no, they didn't seem to.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
"Act the part" gun policy? Gangers and security must have guns, can't start brawling with clear martial arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Now that y'all brought up Mariah, I'm sad we didn't get to see Alfre Woodard and Sigourney Weaver chew the scenery together.

I know, I know Defenders was busy enough but come on, how cool would that be?

The problem with the majority of the subpar shows and arcs is that they didn't make the most of what they had. Yep let's kill Mahershala and Weaver.

"Let's retread the Hand and Elektra, kill the best actress and exciting new villain, shoehorn Colleen's drama in, underuse Misty Knight and give her no scenes with Danny while still centering poo poo around him, the worst, least liked Defender." - Scott Buck, probably