Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lessail posted:

Most of my complaints have been about KD ruining the NBA and you think this is about my team? Though thanks for proving my point

Your complaints were market size which has at most a small bearing on where players have been going. If market size was the issue then Atlanta, Dallas, Philly, Toronto, Chicago, Houston, LAC, LAL, NYK, Brooklyn, and Toronto would all have a leg up on free agents. Being well run is much bigger factor. Players have been signing with teams to make runs at poo poo. GS, Boston, Miami etc. are mid size markets (its really more like there are 5 or so massive markets, a bunch of teams relatively close to one another, and then some smaller ones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Not only that, but Seattle is a big market and they didn't manage to keep any of their players.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Shear Modulus posted:

Not only that, but Seattle is a big market and they didn't manage to keep any of their players.

lol

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I don't think market size is the right way to look at it. I think, "cool city to be a millionaire in" is what people are actually saying when they discuss market size.

And I think being a millionaire is cool in just about every city these days.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

I don't think market size is the right way to look at it. I think, "cool city to be a millionaire in" is what people are actually saying when they discuss market size.

And I think being a millionaire is cool in just about every city these days.

Local endorsement deals are related to market size and the shoe companies also care

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shear Modulus posted:

jesus christ :lol:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

euphronius posted:

Local endorsement deals are related to market size and the shoe companies also care

I had that thought too. That it's agents getting in the ears of players about how much money they can make certain places.

But KAT is the spokesperson of Jack Links so as long as you're good you can get national campaigns. Local endorsements seem to be more for players below the superstar threshold.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i wonder if flattening the lottery odds incentivizes teams that are in that 7-8-9-10 type range to tank into the 11/12 range more so. It reduces the value of being literally the worst team but increases the value of being 6-13th worst. Being the 14th worst record was and is still the worst place to finish in the NBA, but now being the 11th worse team has tripled in potential top 5 pick odds. 10th worse almost quadrupled. It seems like flattening disincentives full on tanking sixers style, but may actually increase late season tanking by mediocre or slightly below average teams

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs

Rick posted:

Yeah I agree, I think this will increase the number of teams that are tanking, not decreasing.

With the way free agency is now it's extremly hard to win a title for most teams through any other way than the draft, and nothing's changed about that so good luck being a fan of a bad team.

If anything this is going to encourage player movement to big markets because there will be a lot more "stranded superstars" whose teams never get the quality components to make the jump up to being good.

And this is exactly right. Like yes, the Lakers very blatantly finished last season tanking hard. But even if they had been playing their best, what would the difference be? One or two wins?

It will encourage players to go to well run teams, not necessarily "big market", which I am fine. New York is a big market and free agents are not swarming there because their owner is an idiot. Nobody wanted to go to the Lakers of the last few years because the team was horrible and the management clueless.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Seems to me that the new draft system allows teams that are poo poo, but not roster-full-of-d-leaguers poo poo to get better without having to transplant their entire roster with Cameron Payne-alikes.

But the struggle will be real for teams that might finish 4-5-6 to get into that 3rd spot.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Lmfao

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The cynic in me says the new lottery reform makes the rigged results of the draft seem more fair :tinfoil:

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 29, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

What exactly is wrong with the tweaking of the draft odds? Less incentive to bottom out, still a good chance for the really bad teams to have a top tier pick, and the flatter odds makes it more likely that a fringe playoff team wins the lottery and then becomes a great team. Those are usually more exciting occurrences than "team that has been lovely for 5 straight years picks another player to squander"

Because we know for a fact teams will still bottom out even with 0% draft odds (Nets), so now it just makes it more likely that really bad teams don't get the help they need.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I'm not really sure KD going to the Warriors has anything to do with market size

A few years ago, Golden State was considered one of the less desirable franchise-markets out there. A decade ago saying "Players trying to get to Golden State" would be kind of funny. But KD going had nothing to do with the market, players are valuing winning chance and role now more than ever.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Dejan has convinced me that Nike sent KD to Golden State to usurp Under Armor anyways

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
Or simple economics will force the badly run teams to eventually sell to a owner that doesn't suck instead of keeping them on life support by wasting player's and fan's time.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Lessail: Have you considered that Kevin Durant is, in fact, a bitch? Please factor this in to your calculations, thank you.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/913530732991045633

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/913532140494585856

COWARD

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Go Team

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

He's a black suit and shoe lifts from being Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein. You know, The MONSTER.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow

He's terrible

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

ooooh boy I bet that will go over well with players

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I know I probably shouldn't be surprised but I genuinely am that silver said that

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

what a lawyery goober thing to do

will he be suspending the entire la sparks team

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
wtf i hate adam silver now

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
What is the NBA rule? Why do they have that when no one else seems to?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The rule is they have to stand. I would guess because of Mahmoud Abdul Rauf

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I think he had credibility by banning Sterling relatively quickly but I don't see that statement going over well with players.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'll try and find the cba by the players may have negotiated the anthem

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

We need a player to ritually strip in protest.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/913533564205043712

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't find anything in the cba about standing

It's big tho

And the might have unpublished side agreements

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ahh they found it

Players negotiated it so they can't knell per the cba

The should anyway

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

Ahh they found it

Players negotiated it so they can't knell per the cba

The should anyway

I don't see anything there stopping them from doing a black power salute.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Adam Silver loving sucks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kibner posted:

I don't see anything there stopping them from doing a black power salute.

4 (a) (7) gesture

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

4 (a) (7) gesture

I was interpreting that as gesturing, like doing fist bumps and poo poo while the anthem is going on. Not just standing in a single pose the whole time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kibner posted:

I was interpreting that as gesturing, like doing fist bumps and poo poo while the anthem is going on. Not just standing in a single pose the whole time.

ges·ture
ˈjesCHər/Submit
noun
a movement of part of the body, especially a hand or the head, to express an idea or meaning.
"Alex made a gesture of apology"
synonyms: signal, sign, motion, indication, gesticulation; show
"a gesture of surrender"
verb

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

He's in a tricky situation cause there's already a law on the books saying they have to (from when protesting Iraq was illegal). Ideally he should just meet with Roberts and get rid of it but considering he is employed by honkey owners I'm not sure if he has that mandate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BWV posted:

He's in a tricky situation cause there's already a law on the books saying they have to (from when protesting Iraq was illegal). Ideally he should just meet with Roberts and get rid of it but considering he is employed by honkey owners I'm not sure if he has that mandate.

He leaves himself a lot of wiggle room and is pretty consistent with what he's said in the past on demonstrations.

quote:

The NBA will not fine players for wearing “I Can’t Breathe” t-shirts in honor of a Staten Island man who died after police placed him a chokehold in July, reports ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap.

"I respect Derrick Rose and all of our players for voicing their personal views on important issues but my preference would be for players to abide by our on-court attire rules," NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said.

On paper the quotes today aren't great but in general with stuff like this I feel like he handles them as well as you could hope

• Locked thread