Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

sonic colors and generations were playable and fun games wtf

forgive me Sonic's Dream Collection is a good 3D sonic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess I just imagined the person I watched being handed quests the consisted of basically nothing but "go here, click on things, stab dudes".

Or you just weren't paying attention if that's all you were able to absorb from it. It's a Final Fantasy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Or you just weren't paying attention if that's all you were able to absorb from it. It's a Final Fantasy.

The streamer I watched literally had the exact same opinion of it that I do. Its fine if you like that but as someone who wants more out of MMO gameplay than running around and stabbing stuff, that wasn't gonna do it for me.

Again, he was in the process of grinding to level 60 or whatever. People kept saying it gets better later. I don't doubt that the combat system could have enough nuance that the later parts of the game are actually challenging and not just mindless clicking. But again, I have no interest in games that require me to slog through hours of tedium to reach the enjoyable parts.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the fact that after years of hype that there are no prerelease reviews for Cuphead is probably not a good sign.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the fact that after years of hype that there are no prerelease reviews for Cuphead is probably not a good sign.

That's just because the reviewers are still figuring out how to play it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
No one's gotten past the first jump.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess I just imagined the person I watched being handed quests the consisted of basically nothing but "go here, click on things, stab dudes".

But enough about the Witcher. :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The streamer I watched literally had the exact same opinion of it that I do. Its fine if you like that but as someone who wants more out of MMO gameplay than running around and stabbing stuff, that wasn't gonna do it for me.

Again, he was in the process of grinding to level 60 or whatever. People kept saying it gets better later. I don't doubt that the combat system could have enough nuance that the later parts of the game are actually challenging and not just mindless clicking. But again, I have no interest in games that require me to slog through hours of tedium to reach the enjoyable parts.
the thing is though, you can't just grind to max level and "get to the good part", you have to play through the story. IDK what that dude was doing, maybe he was leveling up an alt job but even still grinding that way is a really lovely way to level up

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless snail posted:

the thing is though, you can't just grind to max level and "get to the good part", you have to play through the story. IDK what that dude was doing, maybe he was leveling up an alt job but even still grinding that way is a really lovely way to level up

He was playing the story quests. I didn't see anything about the story I would consider interesting enough to warrant sitting through gameplay I wouldn't enjoy.

Like no matter how you dress it up the quest design I kept seeing was your basic "punch 5 sand worms" stuff for the most part. I'm not looking for that in an MMO.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I played that game for a while back at the version 2 launch and yeah it's basically WoW but Final Fantasy. It's well done but if you're looking for something more than a theme park MMO look elsewhere. Some people are into the story which might make a big difference but I sure wasn't.

I also played at the original launch where it where it was just the worst MMO ever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That guy who was bad at Cuphead getting Twitter death threats kind of killed that joke for me

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just played 3 matches of COD WW2 beta and yeah it's not fun for me. Also 12 players max and short maps feels like a joke. I mean this is world war 2 we're talking about, could they at least take a hint from BF1, bump up the players and make it feel like a real war?

That guy who was bad at Cuphead getting Twitter death threats kind of killed that joke for me

Wow really? I mean sure I'd be happy to call that guy a loving retard for not knowing how to play games but death threats is going too far there.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean with the context that the guy barely ever even writes about specific video games vs general industry stuff and probably didn't choose to be the guy previewing cuphead flinging insults straight at him is still kind of lovely

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm not gonna harass a guy on twitter over it, but it was a very funny video and I laughed a lot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the video was more fun than watching the game be played by someone competent

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

The Colonel posted:

i mean with the context that the guy barely ever even writes about specific video games vs general industry stuff and probably didn't choose to be the guy previewing cuphead flinging insults straight at him is still kind of lovely

apparently the guy was in games journalism for 20 years and yet he can't even follow a tutorial properly, which makes me question why the gently caress was he even involved in video games to begin with.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just jump and dash at the same time. is it really that hard

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junior Jr. posted:

apparently the guy was in games journalism for 20 years and yet he can't even follow a tutorial properly, which makes me question why the gently caress was he even involved in video games to begin with.

he writes about industry stuff, because there's stuff to write about in the games industry that isn't strictly related to playing the video games

plus it's kind of weird to call someone a dumbass literally just cause they're really bad at a video game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Just jump and dash at the same time. is it really that hard

But the tutorial draws the button prompts in the middle of the screen how was he supposed to know you're supposed to jump off the raised platform!!

Bring back the good ol' days of arcade splash screens. There was no questioning those.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone link the video you all are talking about

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848Y1Uu5Htk

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone link the video you all are talking about

Go to the youtube page to get the full context. In short: VentureBeat's only journalist at Gamescom agreed to play the game. His specialty isn't playing games but writing about the industry so naturally he's terrible at a game designed to be super hard (although admittedly it's like watching a 4 year old play SMB for the first time dying on the first goomba until they learn to jump). VentureBeat posted it as a joke but the internet being the internet it spreads completely stripped of context and internet tough guys inject their own assumptions into it, which usually involve friendly death threats, racism, sexism, and homophobia.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i literally cannot comprehend how anyone could have an opinion about that video that went beyond "haha its sure is funny how bad Journalist Man is at videogame"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

VentureBeat posted it as a joke but the internet being the internet it spreads completely stripped of context and internet tough guys inject their own assumptions into it, which usually involve friendly death threats, racism, sexism, and homophobia.
nah, they changed the title and description after people started making fun of it. doesn't excuse the harassment but dean also did a real poor attempt at rolling with the punches at first

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

i literally cannot comprehend how anyone could have an opinion about that video that went beyond "haha its sure is funny how bad Journalist Man is at videogame"

I think for a certain particularly horrible segment of gamers it set off their "ethics in game journalism" alarm and like every time that call goes out, things went way worse than they logically should have.

Like the video is funny and there's nothing wrong in mocking it but man some people just revel in being the reason we can't have nice things

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cuphead looks cool but the lack of a health bar or flashing red or whatever is awful. you only know how much damage you did by beating the boss or dying and seeing the progress bar in the game over screen

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

Anyone try Heat Signature yet?

I bought it before the 10% discount ended but I have to finish my XCOM 2 campaign first.

Just killed all the Chosen so I should be cruising to the end of that soon.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

babypolis posted:

Yeah this, it was funny to watch him not play the video game right but he is allowed to live I am pretty sure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah this, it was funny to watch him not play the video game right but he is allowed to live I am pretty sure.

He's not actually, he was bad at a video game so his funeral is next week iirc

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

cuphead reviewer is put into gamer prison for his ineptitude, bungles escape by repeatedly failing to jump over courtyard wall

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

except cuphead

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Watched Polygon's playthrough of it earlier and it really does not look all that great, definitely doesn't look like it should have taken so long to make. The art style is impressive technically but does nothing for me aesthetically. meh.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

There's a review embargo. Those things are industry standard at this point, so much so that the movie industry is catching on.

precision posted:

Watched Polygon's playthrough of it earlier and it really does not look all that great, definitely doesn't look like it should have taken so long to make. The art style is impressive technically but does nothing for me aesthetically. meh.

???

Doesn't look all that great? drat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Moon Monster posted:

I played that game for a while back at the version 2 launch and yeah it's basically WoW but Final Fantasy. It's well done but if you're looking for something more than a theme park MMO look elsewhere. Some people are into the story which might make a big difference but I sure wasn't.

I also played at the original launch where it where it was just the worst MMO ever.

ff14 is infinite times better than WoW and every other MMO i've tried, as in, i actually enjoyed playing ff14 at all. it's pretty, and cool, and pretty cool, and i didn't even get to "the good parts"

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

*i challenge death to a level of smash bros melee and win because i give him the nonglitching controller*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Death: OH SURE JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE WAVEDASHING YOU THINK YOU'RE A PRO

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I remembered this tweet, and began to laugh again

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Death plays with all items on, because that's how it is living in real life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Death plays with all items on, because that's how it is living in real life.

If you start throwing bumpers around though he just kills you because everyone has one exception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

There's a review embargo. Those things are industry standard at this point, so much so that the movie industry is catching on.

Yeah, I'm aware of embargos as a thing but usually if they have any confidence in the game, reviews will start trickling in a week or so before release. No reviews less than a day before is usually a sign of the publisher trying to minimize damage done by bad reviews. With Indies it can just be because it's a small game and they didn't even bother, but Cuphead has been hyped by MS for years now so while them keeping a tight lid on reviews isn't a gaurantee that it's gonna be bad, it's also not a good sign. It doesn't mean it's bad but it does mean that MS attend sure if its quickly

• Locked thread