Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
From what I understand it's aggressive grooming. I'm pretty sue it means they like you(r taste). You'll have to be kinda aggressive with keeping them away from your head and eventually the negative reinforcement should make them not want to be around that part of the bed. One of mine used to do this at night, but would also attack my face occasionally. He was a jerk as a kitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How old are they anyway?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Thumposaurus posted:

The one of them we are laying down has taken to biting us in the head and/or pulling on our hair while sleeping.

Seconding ILL - I think it means dingus likes you! It sounds like grooming behavior to me. Congratulations on your affectionate cat!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Shelter said the white one we've since named Sleek is 7 and the grey one we named Fyodor is 2 but Sleek doesn't act like a 7 year old cat.
They were in the shelter as a bonded pair. The shelter workers said they weren't sure if they were going to be adoptable at first or if they were going to go into the barn cat program they run. After they worked with them a bit in their 2+ month stay at the shelter they said they were good to go.
Fyodor had to have a too tight collar cut off of his neck when he was brought to the shelter and his neck fur was a little shorter than the rest of his fur and he's a little sketchy(but getting better) about having his neck petted.
They were both pretty ptsd'd out when we brought them home. They are doing much better now.:3:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hair-chewing is definitely a grooming/affection behavior! If you watch a cat grooming themselves or other cats, you'll see there's some biting and chewing involved, and sometimes that leaks over into their attempts to groom humans. Don't be afraid to chase him off if he's bothering you, but it's nothing to worry about.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

ILL Machina posted:

From what I understand it's aggressive grooming. I'm pretty sue it means they like you(r taste). You'll have to be kinda aggressive with keeping them away from your head and eventually the negative reinforcement should make them not want to be around that part of the bed. One of mine used to do this at night, but would also attack my face occasionally. He was a jerk as a kitten.

Do not feel bad for accidentally punching your cat out of reflex
You can't control what your arms/legs do when you're woken up from a deep sleep by an rear end in a top hat gnawing on you

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

vermin posted:

Do not feel bad for accidentally punching your cat out of reflex
You can't control what your arms/legs do when you're woken up from a deep sleep by an rear end in a top hat gnawing on you

Yup, and they seem to be pretty smart about if you whack them on accident. When I first got her, Milly slept in bad places on the bed where my arms would swing when I rolled over. Several times I was awoken by my arm hitting a fuzzy lump. All she would do was meow in annoyance and reposition. She has learned finally where the safe spots are and we all get to sleep through the night.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When he was really going at it on both of us the other night we just put pillows over our heads and that stopped it.
I was laying on the couch a few days later and he started doing it again so I just moved him away from my skull and he stopped for that night. He'll still lay on me and gnaw on my arm not enough to hurt.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally adopt some kind of zombie cat that is going to eat my brain.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whenever mine does that I groan, roll over, and grab him in a bear hug like a pillow. He stops pretty quickly.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Snuggle them like a teddy bear and show them just how annoying ~*love*~ can be. :catstare:

My cats freak out when I headbutt them back, this never fails to amuse me.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pepper loves it when I headbutt her back which is funny because it irritates the poo poo out of her when Peridot tries to love-headbutt her. Apparently only humans are allowed to do it.

In other cat news, I've moved into my new place and got a cat run and cat flap installed. Pepper has mastered going in and out and is crapping outside quite happily, Peridot is no longer scared of the sound of the cat flap but is very distraught whenever she sees Pepper outside and literally presses her nose to the window and cries at her. My job for this weekend is to try to teach her the magical method that Pepper uses to get to the other side of the window.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 21, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

My job for this weekend is to try to teach her the magical method that Pepper uses to get to the other side of the window.

I offer the obligatory "please don't."

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

I offer the obligatory "please don't."

So you missed the part about the cat run huh.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
This summer we adopted a cat / dog thing. Her name is Moo Moo. She is 1 year old and very chill and tolerant:

She likes dog toys:

She is braver than our friend's cat:

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
So Josie went to the vet a week ago and had her upper-right molar taken out because it was rotting and after she came home from vet her eye was swollen and red. This is roughly a week and a few days after her surgery and now she has what looks like scar tissue and a small amount of blood attached to it.

https://i.imgur.com/w3MZSPt.jpg

Anyone know what happened to her eye?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Take her to the vet, she might have a foreign object or an infection there.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I have a feral queen in my house who had a litter of four kittens. This is her third (that we know of) litter, and the only ones that have actually made it. Thanks to her having the litter near the house we were able to find them and bring them inside with her, where they stayed with her for about 3 weeks (they looked to be around 5 weeks when we found them). I have a friend who fosters kittens and gets them ready to go to the SPCA, so I was thankfully able to bring the kittens to her after they were solidly on dry/canned food and friendly. What I'm worried about now is the queen. I did a round of advantage multi on her, and she's got an appointment to get spayed on the 16th, so that's all taken care of. How long should I expect her mammary glands to be engorged for, after having taken the kittens away? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process, safely? She doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, she's still eating and drinking and pooping and peeping, but the vet wants her dry before the operation and I'm going to be going away after the 16th and can't have her in the house anymore. Letting her out without being spayed would almost certainly mean another litter in a few months, and she's such a terrible mom I don't want to put her or any kittens she might have through that again.

edit: should mention it's been 3 days since I took the kittens from her.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Thumposaurus posted:

When he was really going at it on both of us the other night we just put pillows over our heads and that stopped it.
I was laying on the couch a few days later and he started doing it again so I just moved him away from my skull and he stopped for that night. He'll still lay on me and gnaw on my arm not enough to hurt.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally adopt some kind of zombie cat that is going to eat my brain.

My blackcat will sometimes contentedly nibble on me when we're sitting together.

Her older buddy will share a look with me along the lines of "see what I have to deal with?", as he does whenever he deigns to notice her doing anything anywhere.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

So you missed the part about the cat run huh.

Sorry, my dude, I assumed the cat run was indoors like on the wall or ceiling or something. If it's one of those open mesh things on grass you're still contending with ground based parasites and fleas and poo poo, but are limiting fights with other animals and their environmental terrorism, but if it's one of those nice closed play areas or on a deck I'm jealous and I want one

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Sorry, my dude, I assumed the cat run was indoors like on the wall or ceiling or something. If it's one of those open mesh things on grass you're still contending with ground based parasites and fleas and poo poo, but are limiting fights with other animals and their environmental terrorism, but if it's one of those nice closed play areas or on a deck I'm jealous and I want one

It's a small enclosed courtyard that I've had enclosed further so as to avoid escape artists, it's pretty great. I might end up having to deal with fleas but I'm ok with that if it comes to it.

I taped the cat door open for a day and Peridot had a good explore but now that it's closed again she just sits sadly near it while Pepper plays outside. She won't let me approach her to show her close up how it works so I guess she's just going to have to figure it out herself.

I discovered the other day that her latest hiding spot is pulling open the bottom drawer of my chest of drawers and crawling into the space behind it so it's not like she lacks problem-solving ability, I think she just only knows how to apply it to hiding places.

EDIT: reading this back it sounds like she's as skittish as the day I kidnapped her from her foster home, but in case anyone is following Peridot Saga she's actually really great now and was sleeping on my lap the other evening. She's just on high alert when near the cat door...

EDIT #2: I apologise for doubting Peridot, I just got home from work and it turns out she has now figured out the cat door. I also must apologise to Pepper because now her only Peridot-free-zone is no longer free of Peridot.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 26, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bina posted:

So Josie went to the vet a week ago and had her upper-right molar taken out because it was rotting and after she came home from vet her eye was swollen and red. This is roughly a week and a few days after her surgery and now she has what looks like scar tissue and a small amount of blood attached to it.

https://i.imgur.com/w3MZSPt.jpg

Anyone know what happened to her eye?

As earlier advice stated - when in doubt, take her to the vet.

As for what happened to her eye - is it on the surface of her eye? If it is, it might be a scar from feline herpes - my cat had a similar bit of tissue on the surface of her eye, and it didn't affect her at all.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Tuna's been having trouble peeing (he's been going frequently, only a little bit at a time), so I'll be taking him to the vet today :(. Here's hoping it can be cleared up without too much trouble.

Also, I reached the end of the previous bag of kitty litter, and what I had in his litterbox was getting a bit exhausted (although I did make sure to keep it clean), so he decided to build a pile of toilet paper and pee on that. I'm confused as to where that falls on the good cat/bad cat scale.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I wound up providing a litter box with only toilet paper in it during the last days of my cat Mouse's life, during which she was determined to use the litter boxes sometimes but more often the bed. She did seem to like the box of tp. Wasn't even that bad to empty, just run a bit of water in the box, dump it in the can, flush. Sanitize and reload. It did give her wet paws sometimes, which is bad, but it beat cleaning it off the bed. I don't do it for the remaining cats, who are both well-behaved in that regard, but it was a workable last resort, next to a box of regular litter that I scooped more than daily.

Not sure I'd encourage it if you haven't given up though; might lead to peeing on random papers, laundry, etc. That was already happening, so I didn't have much to lose.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Tuna's been having trouble peeing (he's been going frequently, only a little bit at a time), so I'll be taking him to the vet today :(. Here's hoping it can be cleared up without too much trouble.

Welp, turns out it's urinary cystitis. I got lucky and caught it pretty early, so it wasn't a full blockage or particularly close to it, so no surgery is required and it's a lot cheaper than it would have been. Still, I'm sure this hasn't been any fun for Tuna, so hopefully things clearly up for him relatively quickly. At least he's taken a liking to the prescription food, so that's a small blessing.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Don't pick me up-summer has turned into I'm gonna lay between your legs and fall asleep so don't move-fall :3

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I got my cats a water fountain to encourage them to stay hydrated, and after the first few days of them staring at the thing in absolute bewilderment they are now actually drinking from it, which is great. The less great thing is that three times now I've come downstairs in the morning to find the fountain on its side/half knocked over, water all over the carpet and the pump making an angry grinding noise because it's out of water.

Loki seems to have made it his mission in life to uncover the mystery of What Lies Beneath the Fountain by sticking his paws into the tab at the front of the fountain's bowl, scrabbling around, and knocking the whole thing over. How do I discourage him from playing with the fountain without just scaring him away from it entirely? Is there a way I could block up the front tab and/or weigh it down so he can't knock it over? Why is my cat such a dumb furry adorable idiot?

floofyscorp fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 27, 2017

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

can you put something heavy under it and then use velcro to hold it that heavy thing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tape over the tab. He's just curious about the hole.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Every time my cat manages to sneak out he comes back covered in seed pods embedded deep in his fur, and I try to pull them out and he tries to bite me. He is terrible and I hate him.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Every time my cat manages to sneak out he comes back covered in seed pods embedded deep in his fur, and I try to pull them out and he tries to bite me. He is terrible and I hate him.

burn all the nearby plant life down

also love your cat

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
My local rescue asked for emergency fosters to handle kittens who are too timid to adopt out. This little guy spends most of his time hiding in the darkest corner he can find, but if I drag him out he purrs and snuggles a bit before loud noises (like a leaf outside falling onto the grass) send him scrambling for shelter. He's mostly bone under the fur, but he's eating okay.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So uh, I am moving tomorrow and I am moving to a much smaller apartment that is closer to a cross between a 1-bedroom and a studio, and of course they only allow 1 cat. So today is the day I have to bring Sardine to the shelter.

I just went through the epic drama of getting her in the carrier and I'm a crying wreck. Both of the cats knew what was going, more or less, and I had to first get *Jackie* out of the cat carrier, then when I finally caught Sardine (which I hate doing) Jackie basically WOULD NOT let me put her in the crate and was fighting both me and sardine. I had to lock Jackie in the bathroom then get Sardine again, moaning and on top of the fridge and totally freaked out, smelling like expressed anal glands. I got her into the crate but as I was locking it she flung herself at the door and got out again, ran herself into another dead end, and I had to bring her crying back to the crate

And she was just making a sound I have never heard her make before and it's just beyond upsetting. My mother, thank god, is taking her to the shelter because I couldnt do it, I'm a mess right now :(

I've never had to give up a cat before that was *mine* in any real way before this and it was just... That was so far beyond hard, I cannot stop crying. I never want to have to do that again I'm way too sensitive to this stuff :( It just.. The extent to which she clearly knew what was happening and how much she wanted to stay upset in ways I can't really put into words, and that's extremely rare for me. Not having the correct words.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 28, 2017

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
My girlfriend and I both have cats (my cats are bigger, but hers is older), and we're thinking of moving in together, but into an entirely new space that has neither of our cats' scents in it yet. What would be the best way to introduce our cats to each other in such a situation? Should we do it beforehand, so they're not getting used to both each other and a new place at the same time?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

There is a wild mothercat (very friendly) and three small kittens near my house in a rural area. I left some food out for them tonight, but I'm wondering what the best way to catch them to take them to a shelter is. I can't take in any more cats but I don't feel good leaving them out in the cold weather. What's the best way to help the kitties?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sociopastry posted:

There is a wild mothercat (very friendly) and three small kittens near my house in a rural area. I left some food out for them tonight, but I'm wondering what the best way to catch them to take them to a shelter is. I can't take in any more cats but I don't feel good leaving them out in the cold weather. What's the best way to help the kitties?

Talk to a shelter. Most shelters keep traps for precisely this kind of situation.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Tumblr of scotch posted:

My girlfriend and I both have cats (my cats are bigger, but hers is older), and we're thinking of moving in together, but into an entirely new space that has neither of our cats' scents in it yet. What would be the best way to introduce our cats to each other in such a situation? Should we do it beforehand, so they're not getting used to both each other and a new place at the same time?

Depends how much time you have. If you have like a month, sure.

Otherwise, when you move into the new place, you need to quarantine them to separate rooms, then let them explore after they get comfortable with that room (like a day up to a week, ycmv). i'd also suggest getting a feliway diffuser to plug in before you move them in.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So the only shelter here is a kill shelter. Should I still take them in or just make sure they have food, water and some shelter?

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

LuiCypher posted:

As earlier advice stated - when in doubt, take her to the vet.

As for what happened to her eye - is it on the surface of her eye? If it is, it might be a scar from feline herpes - my cat had a similar bit of tissue on the surface of her eye, and it didn't affect her at all.

Update on Josie:

Her eye has cleared up, now when she looks at me, one eye is reflective, the other is not.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kaworu posted:

So uh, I am moving tomorrow and I am moving to a much smaller apartment that is closer to a cross between a 1-bedroom and a studio, and of course they only allow 1 cat. So today is the day I have to bring Sardine to the shelter.

I just went through the epic drama of getting her in the carrier and I'm a crying wreck. Both of the cats knew what was going, more or less, and I had to first get *Jackie* out of the cat carrier, then when I finally caught Sardine (which I hate doing) Jackie basically WOULD NOT let me put her in the crate and was fighting both me and sardine. I had to lock Jackie in the bathroom then get Sardine again, moaning and on top of the fridge and totally freaked out, smelling like expressed anal glands. I got her into the crate but as I was locking it she flung herself at the door and got out again, ran herself into another dead end, and I had to bring her crying back to the crate

And she was just making a sound I have never heard her make before and it's just beyond upsetting. My mother, thank god, is taking her to the shelter because I couldnt do it, I'm a mess right now :(

I've never had to give up a cat before that was *mine* in any real way before this and it was just... That was so far beyond hard, I cannot stop crying. I never want to have to do that again I'm way too sensitive to this stuff :( It just.. The extent to which she clearly knew what was happening and how much she wanted to stay upset in ways I can't really put into words, and that's extremely rare for me. Not having the correct words.

I'm really sorry about Sardine. Hope she gets adoped soon. Landlord was intractible about the 1 cat limit? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm really sorry about Sardine. Hope she gets adoped soon. Landlord was intractible about the 1 cat limit? :(

That was part of it, yeah. I had a lot of pressure to give her up from other places in my life, too.

I was really a mess over it all yesterday, partly because the whole thing was so.. traumatic for everyone. All things considered she's still pretty young and she's a handsome cat and pretty adaptable so I hope things go okay. I'll be keeping track of her progress.

It just feels so.... against human nature to have to give up a small creature you have been charged with taking care of. We just don't deal with these situations well :( Unless you're a sociopath or a jerk or something, I guess.