Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Are they loving kidding me with that name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's the one they used in Fusion, so I guess this is trying to be consistent with that.

Not really any different from "Diaboromon" or the like, really.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I still like both names. :can:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

I still like both names. :can:

Same, we've had Digimon whose Japanese names are romanizations like Tyumon and Tyutyumon for Chuumon and ChuuChuumon.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 22, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's likely Toei's fault. They're awful at romanization (they romanized Paildramon in two different ways in the same goddamn screen) and since Savers they've apparently gotten really bad about their romanizations being canon and forcing the dub team (who aren't great themselves) to use them. And then the games just want to keep consistency, I guess.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They don't just make foreign markets use the weirdly romanized stuff. Things like "ChibiTortamon" for ChibiKamemon were done at their behest too. During Savers/Data Squad they also made them use stuff like Crowmon when Bandai had already released two games with it as Yatagaramon.

Earlier stuff like Diaboromon and Kurisarimon predate that, though. In particular, Halsemon exists because the translator for the first three seasons, who was a big name fan back in the day named Megchan, translated the name "Holsmon" wrong... which is itself supposed to be "Horusmon" but eh, what can you do.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 22, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I kinda prefer the ones where it's not an obvious [thing]mon name. A bit of corruption or stylization is nice. Maybe it's just me, but "Halsemon" sounds better than "Horusmon". Maybe because the 'us' in horus is such a hard stop, it makes the transition into -mon more awkward?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If that's your criteria, more power to you. In my case, it obscures their origins and makes the names all sound like utter nonsense. I think it's ultimately more important to convey that meaning to the audience. In Japan it's not as important because the English writing is window dressing to the audience, so it's less important if you get a "Paildoramon" or "Piccolomon". For the dub, however, something like "Kurisarimon" is completely meaningless. You can't even learn more by looking it up unless you go to a Digimon site or already know it's a corruption of "chrysalis".

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Bare in mind that Bandai have never been exactly great at localization consistency either as they used Omegamon for the English version of Next 0rder and took two decade to correctly localize SnowGoblimon when normal Goblimon was correctly localized in Tamers.

To say nothing about Bastemon having two different dub names in addition to its original Japanese name which itself has been used in western media, most notably Cyber Sleuth which itself had localization shenanigans completey without Toei's help to my knowledge with the medals being arguably the worst offenders.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 22, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My favorite bad localization is SlashAngemon to SlushAngemon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Only one more episode of Appmon left to go. It's been quite a ride.

Eri actively ATTACKING YJ-14 was the best part.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've been playing Next 0rder as late and I have to say that as much as I enjoy the World's series' gameplay, I have to admit Next 0rder had some pretty noticeable flaws on its structure.

The gameplay is excellent thanks to all the Quality of Life improvements over World and Digitize (ExE Evolution is the hypest poo poo ever) but unlike World it failed to properly convey the feeling of exploring an actual, alien world.

It kind of streamlined the exploration too much, railroading the player instead of giving them free rein. Locking areas until you reached certain points of the main quest is one of the most disappointing changes made to the formula, as it was the lack of subplots telling you more of the world's inhabitants. The whole Meat vs Vegetales arc needed to be the norm and not the exception.

It also lacked the gimmicks that made DW so memorable. No more chasing rumors to find new allies, no more hidden areas, no more fights with special requirements to beat.

That said, it creates a solid foundation upon which the series can thrive, so I hope any future World game has the gameplay approach of Next 0rder but is closer to the original on its execution.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey look, it's the new Tri ending. And it's good, for an ending! https://soundcloud.com/digimusik/aikotoba

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey look, it's the new Tri ending. And it's good, for an ending! https://soundcloud.com/digimusik/aikotoba
Okay, yeah, this is pretty decent.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/913396796013105152

:thunk:

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/namco_jp/status/913362443983765504

:swoon:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 28, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
TFR

You're cool man we'll see what happens in the actual movies.

At this point I expect Gatomon's Mega Level to be like, Ancient Garurumon for how much the merchandise waffles on it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

who knows at this point. I just know I don't want Ophanimon.

anyway Tri 5 and Appmon's finale both drop tomorrow

gonna be hell to get anyone to actually discuss one of them, though

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I'm gonna be that guy and hope it's Ophanimon, because the alternative is so so lovely.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah, nnnnot getting into this again.

I've made my case for Holydramon several times over. I'll stick to it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I hope it's MarineAngemon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
What if they have it be Mastemon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I hope it's MarineAngemon.

marineangemon is a cutie, but i want gatomon to be big and powerful, not small and powerful

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm trying to decide if I should watch Tri part 5 in theaters first or on Crunchyroll. The theater's like 18 bucks and I won't understand everything, but it seems like it'd be a good experience... hmm

also ophanimon's better than dopey magnadramon

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

She's going to turn into Lilithmon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhonne posted:

She's going to turn into Lilithmon.

I would be perfectly okay with that.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I would be perfectly okay with that.

BanchoAngewomon. Do it Toei.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why would she turn into Lilithmon when she's already Ophanimon Falldown Mode?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So apparently appmon is ending soon and was generally well-received so i've been making my way through it and i'm surprised I haven't heard more people talking about it because it's been quite good. It's a very silly show with some legitimately funny jokes and fun characters who get cool moments. The app thing is sorta gimmicky but it's often used well and leads to some interesting and funny mons. Search-engine cat is a legitimately interesting and cool monster concept that has a different role than most partner mon usually have.

Sometimes the show will repeat jokes too much and the high-pitched shouting during the app links are bad but those are sorta minor complaints honestly, the show's good! Only 26 episodes in and all but this is a really solid show, kinda surprised it didn't seem to catch on more in this thread at least.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

By the time the series went along, I found the screaming the Applidrive did more endearing than annoying. Especially after finding out the guy who the voice was based on acts exactly the same way.

It seems to have done well in Japan at least, compared to Xros Wars in that it's getting a full dvd release and the applidrive and its chip sets seem to sell well. But yeah, underneath a lot of the sillyness and loud noises, it's a pretty smart show with a lot of heart, and it's the series to develop the digital aspects of Digimon the most since Tamers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh no the shouts of the applidrive and the extremely loud engrish own a lot, I'm talking about the bit when applink's happen by repeating the name of the two appmon at increasingly faster speeds and higher pitches. That gets annoying.

Glad it's doing well in Japan. It's good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh.

I've got no opinion on that but to each their own.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, I only watched the first couple episodes (I'll catch up one day) but that repeating voice thing grated on my nerves so much. Do kids these days really like that kind of thing?

TFRazorsaw posted:

why would she turn into Lilithmon when she's already Ophanimon Falldown Mode?
oh come on dude

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In Japan, there are a lot of roleplay toys that sell on how many noises the devices make. It's not just voices but loud, repetitive jingles and the like.

what? I know this is about fanservice and the like. is OFM considered bad looking or something?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a joke TFR

No one actually wants or expects her to become Lillithmon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I knoooow that. I thought the joke was because Lilithmon is hot or something. I was contributing like, "this other character isn't unattractive and fills the same role".

I guess it fell flat. Sorry.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFR.... just cmon man

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... that's what I'm trying to do. Can we please move on?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bunch of pictures of the transforming figures

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/913534577049837568

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/913534584796696576

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/913534592073834496

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/913534601016070144

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/913534608943321093

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Appmon is good and if I don't appear to talk about the finale immediately it's because I'm too sad it ended.

Also the repeating names thing is annoying but also gets dropped soon enough that I forgot about it. Applidrive screaming is cool and so is Hyper Mari- Den'emon. Especially the Seven Codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

don't you mean the SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEVEN CODES!!!!!?

also, Symbiosis is up