Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

enri posted:

I don't know what the gently caress you're all talking about because I just skipped reading 300+ posts about cars and poo poo posting but I'd just like to say I'm borderline ecstatic that Malaysia is back at a sensible local time so I get to watch it early Sunday morning live! yay.

Now let's wait for crushing disappointment to kick in to ruin the rest of my Sunday.

It's going to be weird for me that FP1 is on at 11AM local time (and as such I doubt I can watch it). It seems strange to me that quali is on at 5PM tomorrow with a 3PM race start on Sunday. Isn't the Sat qualy and Sun race start usually around the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
To chime in on topical employment law chat, the US Supreme Court is actually due to hear several cases soon regarding some of this, particularly around compelling employees to go through arbitration:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ge_workers.html

(I work(ed) for a global HR/technology company until last month, AMA)

sticksy fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 29, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You just have to question why these fucks don't want people to afford to live.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Norns posted:

You just have to question why these fucks don't want people to afford to live.

"the more someone else has the less there is for me, and i need all of it"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I was going to type up this big thing about how the future wouldn't suck if we put more value into corporate social responsibility and consumer rights over being able to easily order Chinese food through some stupid app but instead I'll just say there is a fairly large correlation between the issues we as a society face and the fact that Wicka is absolutely hated in the apple thread.

To sound like a total goombah, type that poo poo out. Not pulling your leg but I’d genuinely like to read your thoughts about that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah 1500 I actually read your effort posts

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Not like anything else is going on

https://twitter.com/ScuderiaFerrari/status/913599494746443777

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Bwoah

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I was going to type up this big thing about how the future wouldn't suck if we put more value into corporate social responsibility and consumer rights over being able to easily order Chinese food through some stupid app but instead I'll just say there is a fairly large correlation between the issues we as a society face and the fact that Wicka is absolutely hated in the apple thread.

Just yesterday I looked into seeing if I could somehow remove myself from the Google ecosystem.

Gmail -> ProtonMail

Chrome -> Firefox (or Brave)

Google -> DuckDuckGo

Google Maps -> Waze (can't really get away from Google on this one)

and I realized just how inferior all of these other servicfes are (except for Waze) and its just... an endless void of people telling others to suck it up when it comes to poor retail experiences as we slowly transition into the matrix.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah I tried DuckDuckGo but it's just... terrible. Bing is slightly better but nowhere near as good as Google search. Since I'm on a Mac I'm using Safari, Apple Maps, and iCloud. Those work fairly well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's neat knowing you're feeding AI that will kill us all

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

gret posted:

Yeah I tried DuckDuckGo but it's just... terrible. Bing is slightly better but nowhere near as good as Google search. Since I'm on a Mac I'm using Safari, Apple Maps, and iCloud. Those work fairly well.

I use startpage.com, like DuckDuckGo it dosent track you but I find the searching works better.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I only really use gmail and google for their search.

Well, and an Android phone, but that's pretty much because you get two options.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

To sound like a total goombah, type that poo poo out. Not pulling your leg but I’d genuinely like to read your thoughts about that.

Norns posted:

Yeah 1500 I actually read your effort posts

Okay well I tried to warn you I just got some dumb title promotion today, went karting and had a few brewskis so its gonna be a little Tony Montana-esque Most of this is gonna be unintelligable.

I feel like the rise of the "Silicon Valley"-VC complex is attributable to a major shift in consumer attitude towards how they interact with products and services, specifically in regards to the concept of ownership and the idea of corporate social responsibility.

On the first point: The modern stock market system, investors and economy in general have really tended to favor large firms in a fairly established industry with relatively few players that work towards moderate incremental growth over the long term since the mid 90s. I think the "consistent growth at all costs" approach coupled with the use of stock options in executive compensation and pressure from investors for stable returns has meant that these corporations become overwhelmingly conservative in how they operate, looking for efficiencies through cutting expenses or small pricing increases rather than testing completely new concepts. The problem is that most these companies have on the long term faced relatively little competition because they have operated with few other competitors that have built themselves up to a size that makes it impossible for anybody else to break into the industry.

The refusal to break these firms up coupled with their entrenchment with regulations hurting newcomers is what has given rise to the VC model. Operating with unlimited funds and outside the traditional scrutiny of a publicly traded company "the start up" can enter the marketplace against a bunch of entrenched players and undercut their price-point significantly. The incumbents, still constrained by their investors, are unable to adapt and basically bleed market-share to this new player until enough of them die off and the new player, now with a significant share of the market, can offer an IPO to cash out the VC partners.

Its this disturbing cycle where a select view group of people have identified that you can exploit the way the modern financial system has evolved with enough cash, but instead of changing it to be a meritocracy fair for everyone government end up cutting just enough red tape to let the rich new player in before shutting the gate again.

To the second point its basically this: We as a society simply don't give a gently caress if we own something or not anymore and as much as my generation (millennials) will hate to here it we really don't give a gently caress about the fairness and social responsibility behind our products. The smart phone is a good example. nobody seems to think its a big deal anymore that you buy this $500-1,000 piece of electronics that is completely sealed off from you, was made by slave labour in china, and demands that you only interact with it in the ways that it wants you to because its convenient.

We've created this entire system where so long as something is convenient for us we are totally fine. We're willing to use Uber even though the drivers are treated like complete poo poo and aren't even employees of the company because its convenient. We use google because its convenient, even though it sucks up every marketable piece of data available into this black hole to spew more ads at you about the last five things you look at. We buy the iPhone because even though you have to buy expensive cordless headphones and can't change the battery or chose what you can put on the phone its convenient.

All this has done is create this race to the bottom where the company that can make a service the most convenient for us wins even though they've completely hosed over their employees/suppliers/general health of the industry in the process.

Society as a whole needs to make more informed decisions and letting the big picture influence their purchases. I shop at Costco, the lines at checkout suck rear end, it looks like poo poo in there and I hate how loving crowded it is, but they pay their employees decently and give them benefits so I think its worth it. Its a small stupid thing but I think if we all started thinking like that it would make it very difficult for these stupid loving firms to burst into industries by virtue of ignoring all the rules and offering some sleek looking product that is marginally more convenient. The sooner we start looking at how a company treats everyone in society as a whole, the sooner we stop racing towards the bottom and instead start trying to elevate everyone in society.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 29, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I look forward to reading that when I'm somewhat sober tomorrow lol.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

1500quidporsche posted:

Okay well I tried to warn you I just got some dumb title promotion today, went karting and had a few brewskis so its gonna be a little Tony Montana-esque Most of this is gonna be unintelligable.

I feel like the rise of the "Silicon Valley"-VC complex is attributable to a major shift in consumer attitude towards how they interact with products and services, specifically in regards to the concept of ownership and the idea of corporate social responsibility.

On the first point: The modern stock market system, investors and economy in general have really tended to favor large firms in a fairly established industry with relatively few players that work towards moderate incremental growth over the long term since the mid 90s. I think the "consistent growth at all costs" approach coupled with the use of stock options in executive compensation and pressure from investors for stable returns has meant that these corporations become overwhelmingly conservative in how they operate, looking for efficiencies through cutting expenses or small pricing increases rather than testing completely new concepts. The problem is that most these companies have on the long term faced relatively little competition because they have operated with few other competitors that have built themselves up to a size that makes it impossible for anybody else to break into the industry.

The refusal to break these firms up coupled with their entrenchment with regulations hurting newcomers is what has given rise to the VC model. Operating with unlimited funds and outside the traditional scrutiny of a publicly traded company "the start up" can enter the marketplace against a bunch of entrenched players and undercut their price-point significantly. The incumbents, still constrained by their investors, are unable to adapt and basically bleed market-share to this new player until enough of them die off and the new player, now with a significant share of the market, can offer an IPO to cash out the VC partners.

Its this disturbing cycle where a select view group of people have identified that you can exploit the way the modern financial system has evolved with enough cash, but instead of changing it to be a meritocracy fair for everyone government end up cutting just enough red tape to let the rich new player in before shutting the gate again.

To the second point its basically this: We as a society simply don't give a gently caress if we own something or not anymore and as much as my generation (millennials) will hate to here it we really don't give a gently caress about the fairness and social responsibility behind our products. The smart phone is a good example. nobody seems to think its a big deal anymore that you buy this $500-1,000 piece of electronics that is completely sealed off from you, was made by slave labour in china, and demands that you only interact with it in the ways that it wants you to because its convenient.

We've created this entire system where so long as something is convenient for us we are totally fine. We're willing to use Uber even though the drivers are treated like complete poo poo and aren't even employees of the company because its convenient. We use google because its convenient, even though it sucks up every marketable piece of data available into this black hole to spew more ads at you about the last five things you look at. We buy the iPhone because even though you have to buy expensive cordless headphones and can't change the battery or chose what you can put on the phone its convenient.

All this has done is create this race to the bottom where the company that can make a service the most convenient for us wins even though they've completely hosed over their employees/suppliers/general health of the industry in the process.

Society as a whole needs to make more informed decisions and letting the big picture influence their purchases. I shop at Costco, the lines at checkout suck rear end, it looks like poo poo in there and I hate how loving crowded it is, but they pay their employees decently and give them benefits so I think its worth it. Its a small stupid thing but I think if we all started thinking like that it would make it very difficult for these stupid loving firms to burst into industries by virtue of ignoring all the rules and offering some sleek looking product that is marginally more convenient. The sooner we start looking at how a company treats everyone in society as a whole, the sooner we stop racing towards the bottom and instead start trying to elevate everyone in society.

nice meltdown

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That's cool and all but it feels like excessive aggro is being directed at the consumer who has an ever decreasing number of choices (Google or gently caress all, apple or Android, etc) rather than the fuckers dumping their colossal profits into their own wallets and that of their lobbyists to keep the cycle of bullshit continuing. Not to say consumer is devoid of responsibility, but yeah.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
He's right

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

That's cool and all but it feels like excessive aggro is being directed at the consumer who has an ever decreasing number of choices (Google or gently caress all, apple or Android, etc) rather than the fuckers dumping their colossal profits into their own wallets and that of their lobbyists to keep the cycle of bullshit continuing. Not to say consumer is devoid of responsibility, but yeah.

If we learned our lesson with Apple/Google and applied that to Uber instead of collectively saying "lol it's so convenient though" I would almost certainly agree with you.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

If we learned our lesson with Apple/Google and applied that to Uber instead of collectively saying "lol it's so convenient though" I would almost certainly agree with you.

FWIW I don't use Uber and yeah as end consumers we are loving ourselves but it's getting progressively harder not to.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

sir, this is the worst thread

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Looks far more like a 50-80mm, which is what I would bring to an indoor press conference.
And again..he would have to have been two blocks away for a press conference to use a 400mm.

I’m dumb, it’s the Nikon 85mm f/1.4. (Which I own, because an old camera guy from the local club who used to teach me left it to me in his will along with a fuji x100) tl:dr I legit used to be able to automatically identify a lens and sometimes the camera it was taken with from a single photograph because of dull reasons, but I’m rusty.

Anyway I’m fast forwarding through the non-action in FP1 and you should all take note of the McLaren’s front wing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s raining btw. Cars go out at 59mins, literally nothing happens before then.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm in line at the airport, what's with their front wing?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s got loop things all over it, kind of look like tent pegs,

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

sticksy posted:

(I work(ed) for a global HR/technology company until last month, AMA)

How can you sleep at night

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I legit used to be able to automatically identify a lens and sometimes the camera it was taken with from a single photograph because of dull reasons, but I’m rusty.

Yeah, I can do that too, when I have access to the EXIF data.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah, I can do that too, when I have access to the EXIF data.

I can do it without :colbert: I have very few talents, this is legitimately the only impressive in real life thing I can do and you can’t take it away from me. 10 years ago I could tell you exactly which old sigma or tamron super zoom had been used from sharpeness and colour cast.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Given your Claire Williams 'photoshop' melt-down, I find that very hard to believe.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Because being able to tell the difference between lenses and knowing photoshop are the same thing?

I did try to tl:dr if but if you are going to use pedantry as a tool to make a stranger feel small. I have a photographic memory. My reading speed (including comprehension) is off the charts, and I can store poo poo in my head like photo albums. sometimes the shelves get too full so stuff has to be thrown out, or I forget where I have put them though. I used to deal in second hand lenses to feed my own lens habit so I’ve seen and can remember a lot of pictures taken with a lot of different lenses and use those as a reference point.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Because being able to tell the difference between lenses and knowing photoshop are the same thing?

I did try to tl:dr if but if you are going to use pedantry as a tool to make a stranger feel small. I have a photographic memory. My reading speed (including comprehension) is off the charts, and I can store poo poo in my head like photo albums. sometimes the shelves get too full so stuff has to be thrown out, or I forget where I have put them though. I used to deal in second hand lenses to feed my own lens habit so I’ve seen and can remember a lot of pictures taken with a lot of different lenses and use those as a reference point.

This isn't the thread to make E/N posts in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Schlesische posted:

This isn't the thread to make E/N posts in.

It’s also not the karting thread or engine thread but you don’t hear me bitching. :/

The important thing we can all get behind is “lol bottas”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also “lol Lewis”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Back end of the Mercs are sliding all over the place, pace on the timing screens is real - Lewis had trouble going in a straight line.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

I bought an 8mm Vivitar f/3.5 Fish-eye last night drunk and am waiting with baited breath as to whether or not I saved £40 on a rebranded Samyang for astrophotography.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

:eyepop:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nando hot, so what

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.
Wow that was a big one from Big John. What happened, loving TSN decided to insert commercials just before something interesting took place yet again. gently caress me Liberty, give me streaming or give me death

Edit: oh it was a goddamn drain cover sticking up

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I was all ready to make a Grosjean binman post but holy poo poo that looked terrifying :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kimi drove over the kerb and it popped a drain cover open and then Big John hit it bigly.

For once it's not his fault! That's a huge poo poo show for the stewards now.

• Locked thread