Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

I was able to walk in and grab 1 of 4 gray ones at my local target. I'm debating doing another soon so I can give it to another friend.

Mate, you're forgetting the poor bloody Yanks have had stock shortages for most of the year, unlike us dinkie-dies :australia:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

The first Humble Bundle for Switch is going to be amazing. We have so many great indie games already.

I'm gonna own most (if not all) of the games already but I'll double dip for charity and also to give the game devs more money because pretty much every game I've bought has been good, if not outright great. I'll give the extra codes away in the thread.

Seriously the quality and number of indie games on the Switch a half of a year after launch is astounding. I don't know how much money Nintendo is throwing at devs to ensure great Nindies but I love it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How do I know which fish I haven't fed for the Feed 10 Fish thing in Golf Story? I've definitely done more than 10.

EDIT: Oop, duh there's more to the area

Unmature fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 29, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
ah poo poo help me goonz

i have a bad backlog on switch already and don't need to buy both GOTYs that just dropped today, SO:

picross S or golf stories

(obviously I will pick up the other title later as well, just not tonight because chill bro you're spending too much on dumb digital games)

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

KingSlime posted:

ah poo poo help me goonz

i have a bad backlog on switch already and don't need to buy both GOTYs that just dropped today, SO:

(obviously I will pick up the other title later as well, just not tonight because chill bro you're spending too much on dumb digital games)

well, picross is easier to pick up and put down if you already have a backlog

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

ah poo poo help me goonz

Golf. Picross is cool but it's still just picross. Golf Story feels like a special unique game.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

KingSlime posted:

ah poo poo help me goonz

FIFA comes out in an hour, make the correct choice

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
This is a bad day to post this since everyone is already golfing, but I finished up Rayman and want to give my thoughts.

If you haven't played Rayman Legends, buy it on the Switch ASAP. It's a fantastic game. If you already have played it, the Switch version is not really an upgrade, and I think it would be an easy pass.

• Rayman shouldn't have slowdown on the Switch, but it does. It's not terrible, but that there's any slowdown at all is inexcusable. The worst offenders are the timed daily and weekly challenges, as when those slow down it can mess with timing. I found that restarting the game fixes it for a while. (I've had to restart the game maybe once every five days because of this.)

• Loading times suck. Not enough that it should scare anyone away but it's kind of ridiculous. Oddly enough, the longest loading times occur when returning to the level select. The worst is when you accidentally jump into the wrong painting, where you have to wait 5-15 seconds for the level to load, and then another 10-20 seconds when you back out. Thankfully, there's no loading inside each level or after deaths. People online think the long loading times are because the game uses compressed assets to fit onto a smaller (and cheaper) card. Since the physical version already has the Switch tax applied, trying to save a few dimes by making the game objectively worse to play is such a slimy move.

• The Rayman Origins levels are a nice inclusion, but the Legends levels are far and away better. I finished the Legends levels before playing the Origins ones (as they unlock as you play), and they were a bit of a letdown--especially the boss fights, which require more memorization than skill.

• Holy poo poo this is a great platformer and I really should have played it before now.

• After two weeks, the randomized daily/weekly challenge levels are starting to feel a bit repetitive, but I see myself loading the game once a day to play them for a couple weeks longer at least. It's a neat way to extend the life of the game. Getting to see ghosts of other players and friends makes it feel not so lonely and offers insight to how to play better.

• UbiArt could be perfect for the Nintendo Switch (just optimize it better!). Thanks to my glass screen protector, the colors really pop! I wish they'd put out more games using this high-end 2D style. It's a welcome break from all the fake 8- and 16-bit style games. (Though I still love those, too.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Waltzing Along posted:

Cool, I was about to but saw your post.

Title suggestion:

Golf Story: The Greatest Game That Has Ever Been

Golf Story: SUCKED IN!!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
well very compelling points were made but i decided to go with golf story

hard to top novelty!

also, Rayman Legends is extremely on my must eventually buy list so that write up was very much appreciated, thanks!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rayman Legends is definitely one of the greatest platformers ever made. I guess the only slight downside is the music gets a little repetitive, but has plenty of charm (excluding those levels, of course.) Bummer about slowdown in the Switch version, though; it's such a gorgeous game and I imagine anything below 60FPS would feel especially jarring.

It's on like every console these days, so if you don't absolutely have to have it portable, it can probably be had for much cheaper elsewhere. I bought it for a second time on a $10 PS4 sale once because gently caress it. Trophies I guess.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If you even remotely liked the Camelot Mario Golf games then Golf Story is a MUST BUY. Not only does it capture the feel to that game but it's a really wonderful RPG.

Buy the game immediately.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I just finished the first course except a couple side missions and it's really good. Just gotta get my drive distance higher

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Louisgod posted:

If you even remotely liked the Camelot Mario Golf games then Golf Story is a MUST BUY. Not only does it capture the feel to that game but it's a really wonderful RPG.

Buy the game immediately.

I've been only buying physical partly because otherwise the backlog will get out of control. I can't believe a golfing game might get me to break that.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I have Rayman Legends on Wii U (digital, if it makes any difference at all) and both loading times and performance are flawless.

How did they gently caress up the Switch version I wonder.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
an hour into this game golf story loving rules

i made the right choice

also allotting skill points is weird what with power lowering other stats, I think I get it now

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
bought Golf Story on a whim and wow. it sure is a golf game, with an incredible soundtrack. the sexy sax and the bass grooves oh my goodness

sucked in

Afro fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 29, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
and the writing is....fun? i dig it dudes

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm trying very hard not to impulse buy games anymore and you guys are making it very hard for me

It's not THAT good, is it?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm enjoying Golf Story so far but two things bother the gently caress out of me.

1: I've had the game get stuck after a dialog at least twice now, making me lose save progress. I also had this really crazy glitch that's hard to describe happen but thankfully I fixed it.
2: This is the only Switch game so far that has shown just how loving awful my joycons can be. The times when the button press gets delayed or just ignored due to "you have wi-fi in your apartment" is loving awful bullshit that makes me think I really need to send my joycons to Nintendo for repair (aka sponges.) :(

chaleski posted:

I'm trying very hard not to impulse buy games anymore and you guys are making it very hard for me

It's not THAT good, is it?
It's just exactly what you think it is. Chill Stardew Valley but with Golf inserted into everything instead of farming, dungeoning, mining, and sexing. You can throw balls at people, tee off from anywhere you want in order to accomplish silly little goals, and... golf. The RPG aspects are pretty basic, the writing is just fine and goofy, but in no way do I play this game and think "I would have payed 60 dollars for this." After beating the first area I'd say it's around the 20-30 dollar value mark, so 15 bucks definitely feels like a nice steal.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 29, 2017

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
I would pay $15 just for this groovy soundtrack, the golf RPG game is just a bonus

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Golf Story is fun and good. I'm not really a fan of the skill leveling though, every 2 points I put in power reduces stats of everything else as far as I can tell?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

katkillad2 posted:

Golf Story is fun and good. I'm not really a fan of the skill leveling though, every 2 points I put in power reduces stats of everything else as far as I can tell?

Uh oh. Golf Story... Not good after all?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Rexroom posted:

Uh oh. Golf Story... Not good after all?

It's still fun and good, these stats are probably trivial but it feels bad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey I don't play handheld a lot but it got me thinking to ask. HD rumble is neat, but does rumble on the switch handheld kinda have a... "sound" for anyone else? Like the vibration is so strong I get kind of a Twonnngggg sound.

[Ed] Golf a story good but I wish changing clubs and aiming were reversed on axes. Always trips me up.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 29, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hit a kid with my ball so hard I gave him brain damage to save him from crocs then I pelted his mom with my infinite golf balls.

Good game

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I think power lowering other stats is to prevent spamming power. From what I understand it is one of the most useful stats. The others give you more leeway for loving up shots but if you can nail shots then power is best, I think?

Was able to play for a couple hours tonight, beat all the side objectives in the first place that I could and took on the course. I'm sucked in.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mate, you're forgetting the poor bloody Yanks have had stock shortages for most of the year, unlike us dinkie-dies :australia:.

Wait but I am a yank? I think

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Feenix posted:

Hey I don't play handheld a lot but it got me thinking to ask. HD rumble is neat, but does rumble on the switch handheld kinda have a... "sound" for anyone else? Like the vibration is so strong I get kind of a Twonnngggg sound.

[Ed] Golf a story good but I wish changing clubs and aiming were reversed on axes. Always trips me up.

yeah, golf story is the first game i noticed it on but hd rumble actually makes sounds.

hold your joy cons up to your ear as you throw a golf ball at someone, trust me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol Nintendo banned live streaming

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kaubocks posted:

hold your joy cons up to your ear as you throw a golf ball at someone, trust me

:aaaaa:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Quest For Glory II posted:

:downs:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

iirc HD rumble uses the same technology found in certain speakers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Don't worry, it'll take all of a day or two for them to roll it back

Remember that youtube and google are garbage companies and that no one should rely on them for a paycheck

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nintendo is so stupid when it comes to youtube and twitch

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i wonder why nintendo is specifically anti youtube live streaming money and not anti youtube video money? are they anti twitch money on recording or live as well?

so many questions, but the real reason i came here is to post that picross s is amazingly good. once i figured out mega picross, my switch has been glued to my hands by mysterious forces. send help. im passing on golf story though as i have way too many unfinished rpgs laying around :(

e: posted from my hacked switch's built in browser

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 29, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Blazing Zero posted:

i wonder why nintendo is specifically anti youtube live streaming money and not anti youtube video money? are they anti twitch money on recording or live as well?

Maybe it's a legal way of saying "We can't police everyone who signed up for the program to make sure they don't say n-word while playing our games live so...don't play our games live on YouTube if you're "Employed" by us."

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is Golf Story a remake of an old classic or is this some new thing?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Maybe it's a legal way of saying "We can't police everyone who signed up for the program to make sure they don't say n-word while playing our games live so...don't play our games live on YouTube if you're "Employed" by us."

so twitch does the job they cant do on either platform's live streams wrt terrible poo poo people say. i wonder if that's a reaction to youtube's lack of policing its live streams? i dont pay attention to youtube gaming so i dont know if that's even true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blazing Zero posted:

so twitch does the job they cant do on either platform's live streams wrt terrible poo poo people say. i wonder if that's a reaction to youtube's lack of policing its live streams? i dont pay attention to youtube gaming so i dont know if that's even true

Youtube celebrities keep turning out to either be nazis or morons that should not be making videos full time and more companies will do poo poo like this as long as youtube is treated as wildlands

• Locked thread