Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I still have no idea why Estovakia would choose to make Gracemeria their last line of defense, instead of, well, any of the cities in Estovakia proper. Scorched Earth? Sure, from a total war perspective that depletes the fighting potential of the enemy. Fortifying and holding the city seems to be careless when you could be spending the resources on fortifying your own country, where you don't have to worry about resistance groups blowing up the walls. Granted, AC6 needed the narrative payoff of liberating the city you lose at the start of the game, but there's no rule that that payoff has to come at the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Those are some pretty impressive looking fortifications for half a year's construction time. Or less, given that dude in the cutscene said they were just starting demolition work? Either way, cool dogfights and I just love the image of Ghost Eye trying not to bust a gut while he calls the cavalry to bail Shamrock's dumb rear end out.

e; Also, regarding the WMDs, I think deliberately targeting a (presumably highly populated) capital city might be a bit more severe than even the 7 Pillars? At least in terms of immediate casualties. Chemical weapons certainly aren't as flashy as nukes, but this is a city with presumably a fairly large population (large enough to make a suitable hostage at least) even with many of them evacuating at the start of the war.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 29, 2017

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Oh boy, do I have a lot to say, but I'll try and be succinct. :words: posts make my wrists hurt.

1) Emmeria, gently caress yeah! was the first thing to come into my head when Snake Pit and the gang joined in, too. But, upon reflection, I could see... Like... Tom Sawyer or YYZ playing over the radio for your triumphant slaughter. Something by Rush, anyways.

2) Goddamnit, Shamrock is the worst! Jeez! Not to echo everyone else but seriously, man, die in a fire.

3) I know it's been said before, but it's probably the most prevalent in this 'episode' thusfar: The facial expressions are so Uncanny Valley it makes me feel somewhat physically ill.

4) Go dance with the angels. I will never not do this. Though, if you had a drinking game where you had to drink a finger every time someone said it or something to that effect, you'd die before you finished. Like... Wow, guys. Who the frick wrote/localized this, and why weren't they flayed alive?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Garuda Team, I have some great news. There's weapons of mass destruction that could be used against our people!!!"

Really nailed that one, mission brief dude.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

"Garuda Team, I have some great news. There's weapons of mass destruction that could be used against our people!!!"

Really nailed that one, mission brief dude.

Intel has been drunk since we left Khesed, and you know it.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nine-gear crow posted:

Not like he needs to be sober given the incompetence of the Stovies in general.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Opening cutscene... yeah, there's a reason they gave you handcuffs, you utter dumbass.

Also, "Good news, there's WMDs out there!" Is it any better in the Japanese? Because that sounds really stupid. Maybe it should've been "Good news, we've found where they've been hiding the WMDs, and now you can take them out."

And yes, Shamrock's whining makes no sense in the context of the mission. Yes, he was chewed out for disobeying orders, the brass didn't want to chase after the baddies in case they blew up your country. Now, you're getting a chance to take out their WMDs before they get to detonate them, how is that a bad thing?

The problem with PJ was that he was a kiss-rear end. Pixy did abandon the player character, but y'know, I can respect that. We're mercenaries in that game, and running away is perfectly justified for mercenaries. But Shamrock...? It's just bad characterization. Shamrock's written badly.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Not AC6 related, but since ACX is upcoming, this seems like the most appropriate place to post it??

https://twitter.com/PROJECT_ACES/status/913614248277827584

Upcoming model kit of the XFA-27

:eyepop:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

painedforever posted:

The problem with PJ was that he was a kiss-rear end. Pixy did abandon the player character, but y'know, I can respect that. We're mercenaries in that game, and running away is perfectly justified for mercenaries. But Shamrock...? It's just bad characterization. Shamrock's written badly.

The major problem with Shamrock is that he's horrendously short-sighted and self-righteous to a fault. That would have been fine if he'd been anyone other than your wingman. But no, we're stuck with the fucker, and that only makes it stick out so much worse.

Minrad posted:

Not AC6 related, but since ACX is upcoming, this seems like the most appropriate place to post it??

That right there is an angel I'd like to dance with.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Minrad posted:

:circlefap:

Yes, a fine addition to my still unopened model collection, with my Scarface Su-33 and Razgriz Tomcat

Speaking of, here's someone who should dance for eternity with an unlimited number of angels

:nms: http://www.figure.fm/en/post/54613/Razgriz+launch.html :nms:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Oh no, I've opened the hellgates to awful Ace Combat models now

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Lazy Bear posted:

Mods are asleep, pop and lock with the Powers.

Someone missed this little Jig with the Virtues.

I actually kinda like the concept of the Idolmaster Skins because there's few things as comical as dunking on the opposition with a pink plane with a lady painted on it, the part here they fail hard is where you have to pay for them instead of basically being a joke thing.

And Shamrock is loving terrible.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I am unseated :negative:

For real though, this is one of the coolest little bits in the game even though there's no realistic reason it should have happened the way it did (though I like the Ghost Eye trolling theory), despite Shamrock trying to bring it all down by existing. And now there's actual plot happening! We sort of have something to talk about!

I like the implications that Estovakia put every military unit they had in Gracemeria for their final showdown and apparently left their own borders unguarded because of the principle of the matter or something. A smarter country than Emmeria would probably take advantage of that :v:

lol

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I love this mission for the massive furball engagement. The frantic gameplay as you try to survive while somehow trying to hit someone, anyone in a dogfight, with contrails and enemy planes everywhere. Certainly an experience I still haven't found to have topped.

Also after hitting the objective I usually dive back down into the canyon on my run for the exit zone. It's a lot of fun going full burn on the engines in the winding canyons and looking behind you to see a majority of the enemy missiles smack into the bridges and canyon walls that were coming for you.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Now imagine the misadventures of a group of small children lugging a golden statue in a full suit of armor out of a museum and down into some old catacombs with apparently still working traps.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Jesus, you're not wrong about Briefing Dude. Did he have a stroke or something?

Ace Combat 6- A Cautionary Tale for Alzheimer Sufferers

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Since we're finally talking about the storyline segments, there was something I just noticed in the last segment with Melissa and McKnight. When they go their separate ways, Melissa refers to them as the "Bank Job Boys". So that means over the course of their trip together from Fort Norton to Gracemeria, McKnight flat out told Melissa and Ludmila that he was planning to rob a bank once he got back to the capital. And Melissa's only response was apparently "good luck, boys!"

That kind of makes me have a tiny bit more respect for Melissa that she's just like "you do you" to McKnight's insane scam.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Lazy Bear posted:

2) Goddamnit, Shamrock is the worst! Jeez! Not to echo everyone else but seriously, man, die in a fire.

He really is the worst wingman in the series. Some of the others were annoying little yappy dogs to be sure, but none of them dragged you into poo poo like this and then had the gall to act like /he/ was the one with the right after the fact. gently caress man, /Pixy/ was a far better wingman than this, and Pixy quite literally shot you in the back.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Daaaaamn, the Stovie engineers really know how to work fast with turning the entire goddamn city into a fortress.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I thought the idea with taking the heat off of someone was to say something outrageously false to divert attention, but what Psion said is pretty much true. :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Daaaaamn, the Stovie engineers really know how to work fast with turning the entire goddamn city into a fortress.

The enormous amount of manpower and resources poured into that could probably have netted them a couple more divisions that are at least mobile.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Minrad posted:

Nice to see a good excuse to get back into models. I haven't been much for anything of the sort ever since everybody stopped stocking anything Gundam-related that wasn't that loving bell-shaped thing from G Gundam because Sunrise doesn't understand economics, differing tastes, or the passage of time outside of Japan.

VhenRa
Aug 1, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Dr. Snark posted:

Not like he needs to be sober given the incompetence of the Stovies in general.

Honestly, i like the idea he is actually drunk... did he actually pop up before the first mission? What if he was the only guy to escape the invasion of the capital, a total drunk.. yet only one qualified to do the job.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

nine-gear crow posted:

Since we're finally talking about the storyline segments, there was something I just noticed in the last segment with Melissa and McKnight. When they go their separate ways, Melissa refers to them as the "Bank Job Boys". So that means over the course of their trip together from Fort Norton to Gracemeria, McKnight flat out told Melissa and Ludmila that he was planning to rob a bank once he got back to the capital. And Melissa's only response was apparently "good luck, boys!"

That kind of makes me have a tiny bit more respect for Melissa that she's just like "you do you" to McKnight's insane scam.

She's finally learned the value of positive waves

And it's easy to sneak a tank into a city- just find a big church bell and ring that non-stop. It'll hide your engine noise, and as a bonus, it could trigger PTSD in any Belkan aces lurking around.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

painedforever posted:

Also, "Good news, there's WMDs out there!" Is it any better in the Japanese? Because that sounds really stupid. Maybe it should've been "Good news, we've found where they've been hiding the WMDs, and now you can take them out."

Kind of like how he seems really proud of the phrasing "tactic for pre-emptive victory". Is that some kind of pun in Japanese or is he just that unimaginative?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

NobleSixFour posted:

Kind of like how he seems really proud of the phrasing "tactic for pre-emptive victory". Is that some kind of pun in Japanese or is he just that unimaginative?

'Good news guys! I made us a new plan to contribute to the war effort! I like to call this plan, 'How to win'.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Rorahusky posted:

'Good news guys! I made us a new plan to contribute to the war effort! I like to call this plan, 'How to win'.

Literal slumped-over-computer, shoulders-heaving, mid-lecture silent laughter. Thanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why does the game pretend the briefing officer is human? It's transparently not. Real people do not loving talk like that.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Why does the game pretend the briefing officer is human? It's transparently not. Real people do not loving talk like that.

Does it, though? I certainly wouldn't say so. No one ever talks about "him".

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

radintorov posted:

I thought the idea with taking the heat off of someone was to say something outrageously false to divert attention, but what Psion said is pretty much true. :v:
Yeah they were more like cold takes.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah, seriously. That was pretty much what I said when I saw that. Jeez, that's the sort of wall a certain political figure thinks of every night before he drifts off to sleep. Would have taken some crazy work to build that fast. Perhaps even... angelic interference?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rorahusky posted:

I din't realise our briefing officer was Billy Bishop!

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Update:

NobleSixFour posted:

Mission 3 (Inferno) - Paingod556
Mission 4 (Red Moon) - Pythonicus
Mission 5 (Spooky) - Crow
Mission 6 (Blue On Blue) - Crow
Mission 7 (Power Play) - Cooked Auto
Mission 8 (Lock and Load) - Psion
Mission 9 (Pipeline) - Acebuckeye13
Mission 10 (Siege) - Dr Snark
Mission 11 (Hostile Fleet) - Shinjobi
Mission 12 (Launch) - MC Smoke Sensei & TyrantSabre
Mission 13 (Motherland--This is the second (and good) helicopter one) - Available, no footage
Mission 14 (Aftermath) - Available, no footage
Mission 15 (Home Front) - Ian Khoo
Mission 16 (Hurricane) - Cirvante
Mission 17 (Akula) - Available(x2?), no footage

I have this nagging feeling I've forgot something/someone, so speak up if that's you.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
It's all just so pointless.

It's a beautiful mission - that dogfight at the end was like a taste of what the game could've been if it had had more thought put into the "dancing with angels" mechanics and less thought into the "slumming it with the army" mechanics. The AI lining up was a cherry on top that felt genuinely victorious, the sort of over-the-top in a marvelous way thing you see at the end of 5 with all the squads from different nations coming together to fly in formation with you. The canyon run even looked pretty fun, with lots of things to fly through and under if you wanted it.

But it's so pointless.

Shamrock gets bailed out not only of his heinous gently caress-up by being your #2 (making his egregious breach of discipline even MORE irritating, because he's not even being rewarded for being a good pilot - he's being rewarded because YOU'RE a good pilot) but out of his character development by being proven right that he can do whatever he drat well pleases. Had the game replaced him for this mission with Sky Kid or Avalanche, it would've been a much better mission, with Shamrock being able to come back next mission as a better person and less of an rear end in a top hat railing about having to do the things his boss tells him he has to do to earn money.

Colonel Russianstereotype McBalkansguy offers the internal narrative of an entirely different character while standing around in a location he knew was going to get used for demolitions. Then he proceeds to lose his top-secret briefcase to loving children, be intimidated by loving children, and get trapped in a random magic deathtrap Canaditaly apparently built in the year who-gives-a-drat that somehow has never been set off by any OTHER kind of construction, only THESE SPECIFIC EVIL PEOPLE demolitions. All they needed to have happen was a cave-in, or have part of the palace collapse on them, and it would've made a lot more sense and been more meaningful - a collapse of the symbol of Gracemaria leading these people to come together for their mutual survival and tearing down the borders that exist between them. Would've been super.

And then there's Melissa, the embodiment of who-gives-a-poo poo, being surprised that somebody built walls around her city. Don't worry, Melissa, now the city will be safe from the Huns, and it'll be exposed from the air so the pilots this game is actually about will have no difficulty whatsoever taking it back until a surprise superweapon appears (I don't know if this is a spoiler, I'm purely guessing) to hinder them for maybe ten minutes.

Oh, hey, the Tank Crew. Wouldn't this have been a more interesting game if the bank robbery - the theft of riches - had been paralleled to the rebellion - the theft of Gracemaria? Thanks for reminding me that this could've been awesome, Tank Crew. Imagine if the game had just focused around Tank Crew, Your Designated Rival Pasterchak, and You The Player, with all this extra cruft gone. This could've been a really excellent story using "theft and the idea of invasion as a theft metaphor" to tell a story about how war is bad and robs people of their homes and lives. Instead, this really great premise is tossed into this tasteless ball of fluff. It's not even fun melodrama. It's just...a timeline of things happening because if they don't happen the story stops.

I know, this is a lot of effort put into a post about a story that is the embodiment of :effort:, but dammit, it looks so pretty and so much fun I just wish the story measured up to the gameplay. I hope 7 takes more cues from Zero than 6.

And a hearty "go dance with the angels, Shamrock" to add on to everybody else.

Unrelated: I bet the briefcase is the Estovakian budget. Colonel Whogivesashit's eyes must've widened at the "BELKA" sitting under the "expenses" column.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

radintorov posted:

I was trying to work fast :shrug:

This thread isn't the best place for it anyway. Most people here are realistic about the good and bad parts in every title of the franchise, which is refreshing. That's not always true everywhere, to put it mildly.

Sword Hunter Gil posted:

It's all just so pointless.

this is a really good point. I've always liked playing this mission for much the same reasons that you wrote, but the sheer wasted potential on display is just incredible.

I mean leave it to Project Aces to put the work in to make a genuinely great moment that looks amazing, plays incredibly well, even lines up perfectly with the allied support system - and then gently caress up earning it completely.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 29, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

I din't realise our briefing officer was Billy Bishop!

I had a bit of confusion because I thought you meant the billy bishop from this https://lparchive.org/Spy-Fiction/ :confused:

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
It's like the game is addicted to setting up really neat premises through the eyes of random people who aren't involved with those premises at all, then telling you all about those premises like an eager kid explaining to you how cool it would be if Mario and Sonic fought instead of just playing Super Smash Brothers with you so you could enjoy it yourself.

This "tell-don't-show" writing style had better take a long dance with a short angel. It's not even unique in video games, it just annoys me because in the other Ace Combat games they found a way to make you give a drat through the lens of other people looking in, and it's such a massive step back from 5's reporter and Zero's documentary that I genuinely wonder if they fired their entire writing team beforehand.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Sword Hunter Gil posted:

It's like the game is addicted to setting up really neat premises through the eyes of random people who aren't involved with those premises at all, then telling you all about those premises like an eager kid explaining to you how cool it would be if Mario and Sonic fought instead of just playing Super Smash Brothers with you so you could enjoy it yourself.

This "tell-don't-show" writing style had better take a long dance with a short angel. It's not even unique in video games, it just annoys me because in the other Ace Combat games they found a way to make you give a drat through the lens of other people looking in, and it's such a massive step back from 5's reporter and Zero's documentary that I genuinely wonder if they fired their entire writing team beforehand.

It was mentioned earlier that Zero and 6 were in development at roughly the same time. Odds are pretty good to drat near bulls-eye that their writing team was indisposed on Zero.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
That makes a great deal of sense, and in fact explains how "go dance with the angels" could ever be suggested as comparable arc words by the same company that also gave us "yo, buddy - you still alive?" and "the ghosts of Razgriz."

Additional sidenote: does Estovakia's military just not carry guns? They're the most passive occupation force I've ever seen, letting children run around and wandering around the city with top-secret documents completely unarmed. Imagine if anyone competent had stolen that briefcase. What would Colonel Fuckwitskis do, limp slowly after them and be sad in their general direction? Come on, man, carry a sidearm, for God's sakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The Stovies melted down their guns to make that wall/all those planes you shoot down over the course of the game. Only dedicated train station MPs who are comically bad at their jobs carry sidearms now.