Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/Flames_Baldwin/...weet-roasted%2F

There was definitely a trend of American newspapers writing weirdly complimentary headlines about actual white supremacists a while back but I can't say that I've seen anything approaching this level of glamorisation of fascism in European papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lost in postation posted:

There was definitely a trend of American newspapers writing weirdly complimentary headlines about actual white supremacists a while back but I can't say that I've seen anything approaching this level of glamorisation of fascism in European papers.
Mother Jones isn't subliminally converting its readers to support Spencer, come on.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I never claimed they were? That's a weird extrapolation from "American papers sometimes make the far right sound new and exciting".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I never claimed they were? That's a weird extrapolation from "American papers sometimes make the far right sound new and exciting".
You said this in a specific context - a certain post by YF-23, and one by Rappaport.

But ok, I should not insinuate you had actually claimed this was giving them votes. Still, of what consequence is it, if of any? Is there more substance to your post than "they did not deliberately chose unfavourable lighting for Spencer's face"?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cingulate posted:

Mother Jones isn't subliminally converting its readers to support Spencer, come on.

It's about the normalisation of fascism and fascist ideas under the cover of a different coat of paint. And this has been going on for years. The coverage of Brexit by the UK press for example. I don't think there are many fash in the UK media but that doesn't change that the anti-immigrant fanaticism of The Daily Mail & The Sun & others has created room for key ideas of the fash to be treated as something culturally acceptable. That has consequences.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What does "normalisation of fascism and fascist ideas" mean? It seems to me my intuitions about what that would mean are rather far away from where we are, and heading to, as a society. Is there some hopefully intersubjectively verifiable test I can apply to a society that tells me if it has normalised fascism and fascist ideas?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Well, the point, if anything, is:

I can't say that I've seen anything approaching this level of glamorisation of fascism in European papers.

That said, summing up the argument as "they did not deliberately chose unfavourable lighting for Spencer's face" is really quite disingenuous considering the general tone of the headlines.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

There was some fairly simpering coverage of Nigel Farage by everyone including The Guardian when Brexit wasn't really on the menu.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Well, the point, if anything, is:

That said, summing up the argument as "they did not deliberately chose unfavourable lighting for Spencer's face" is really quite disingenuous considering the general tone of the headlines.
Again, it's Mother Jones. Are you really saying this is symptomatic of something that can be called glamorisation of actual neo-nazis, by outfits such as Mother Jones?

What, really, is the substance of the claim?

jBrereton posted:

There was some fairly simpering coverage of Nigel Farage by everyone including The Guardian when Brexit wasn't really on the menu.
And Trump once said something nice about Angela Merkel. Doesn't mean the lines are fairly clear.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

Cingulate posted:

What does "normalisation of fascism and fascist ideas" mean? It seems to me my intuitions about what that would mean are rather far away from where we are, and heading to, as a society. Is there some hopefully intersubjectively verifiable test I can apply to a society that tells me if it has normalised fascism and fascist ideas?

"Does X thing (e.g. an article in a newspaper) downplay or ignore the seriousness of a candidate/party's fascist leanings, or attempt to portray them as kooky but ultimately harmless?" is a good litmus test, I've found. So, Jimmy Fallon ruffling Trump's hair on prime time TV falls under that category, for instance.

e: and why this focus on Mother Jones, of all things? it's a) far from forming part of the core of the mainstream media and b) iirc pretty far left, so just about the worst example you could choose to ask about normalisation of fascism.

Can we go back to the independence debate? It was far less frustrating than the "explain why voting for nazis is bad" conversations we're having now.

Altivia fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 29, 2017

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Again, it's Mother Jones. Are you really saying this is symptomatic of something that can be called glamorisation of actual neo-nazis, by outfits such as Mother Jones?

You keep repeating Mother Jones as though it was unthinkable that a centre-left paper would be complicit (even unwittingly) in anything untoward, which is odd to say the least.

YF-23 was talking about the media lobbing softballs at the far right and casting them as lovable cartoon villains. I was giving an example of that. I have no idea what actual consequences, if any, this has on the electorate, and I genuinely don't understand why you seem to be so hostile to the idea.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cingulate posted:

What, really, is the substance of the claim?

Using phrasing like "Meet the dapper" and using the term "white nationalist" instead of "racist" and the like are all parts of softening the impact of what he is. Which is a bog-standard racist in his dad's business suit.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Altivia posted:

"Does X thing (e.g. an article in a newspaper) downplay or ignore the seriousness of a candidate/party's fascist leanings, or attempt to portray them as kooky but ultimately harmless?" is a good litmus test, I've found. So, Jimmy Fallon ruffling Trump's hair on prime time TV falls under that category, for instance.
This is very far away from how things look like from here. Maybe I'm reading this too strongly, if I'm saying "Spencer is a stupid clown who will never have any power, amount to anything, and should best be laughed at" I am normalising fascism?
And are you saying this is some broad underlying theme - that our media landscapes are accurately characterised as portraying the far right as ultimately harmless? E.g., there's not just a few instances of shallow jokes embedded in an overwhelming consensus of rejection, but that is the general theme?
Cause when you say "the media is normalising fascism", what I'm envisioning is something much more sinister than even what you're seeing on right-wing mainstream media.

Altivia posted:

e: and why this focus on Mother Jones, of all things? it's a) far from forming part of the core of the mainstream media and b) iirc pretty far left, so just about the worst example you could choose to ask about normalisation of fascism.
Because that's one of the three actual examples that were provided.

Altivia posted:

Can we go back to the independence debate? It was far less frustrating than the "explain why voting for nazis is bad" conversations we're having now.
Are you saying I'm proposing voting for Nazis may not be bad? I mean, I may have overstated lost in postation's point, but this seems to me to be taking things too far.

You keep repeating Mother Jones as though it was unthinkable that a centre-left paper would be complicit (even unwittingly) in anything untoward, which is odd to say the least.

YF-23 was talking about the media lobbing softballs at the far right and casting them as lovable cartoon villains. I was giving an example of that. I have no idea what actual consequences, if any, this has on the electorate, and I genuinely don't understand why you seem to be so hostile to the idea.
I think I just have much more extreme associations with the concept of "normalising/glamorising fascism" than you, and under my associations with that concept, the claim that this is a general trend would be quite paranoid. When you say "glamorising fascism", I'm imagining unapologetic and intentional SS aesthetics on Vogue covers and discussions of which Nazi top brass was the cutest.
Either way, I think if you put things in proportion, the media is still just as united in a rejection of the far right as they used to be (i.e., not perfectly, but largely).

Tesseraction posted:

Using phrasing like "Meet the dapper" and using the term "white nationalist" instead of "racist" and the like are all parts of softening the impact of what he is. Which is a bog-standard racist in his dad's business suit.
Ok, so what does it mean that Mother Jones are doing these things? Their ideology should be clear.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

Ok, so what does it mean that Mother Jones are doing these things? Their ideology should be clear.

Both sideism. Can't look biased, someone might stop reading our website!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cingulate posted:

You can have your heart in the right place and still be complacent about how you handle things.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MiddleOne posted:

It would be way worse. Imagine the staggering amounts of money that would go into supplying anything for the entire EU.

The entire EU already buys lots of guns, it just does it country-by-country instead of as a whole. There's no reason 28 countries separately negotiating their procurement would be less corrupt than the EU negotiating as a whole. In fact it would probably be less corrupt since there would be eyes from each country watching it, instead of the President of Bulgaria giving the entire budget to his brother in law and declaring the transaction top secret due to national security.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

Cingulate posted:

This is very far away from how things look like from here. Maybe I'm reading this too strongly, if I'm saying "Spencer is a stupid clown who will never have any power, amount to anything, and should best be laughed at" I am normalising fascism?
And are you saying this is some broad underlying theme - that our media landscapes are accurately characterised as portraying the far right as ultimately harmless? E.g., there's not just a few instances of shallow jokes embedded in an overwhelming consensus of rejection, but that is the general theme?
Cause when you say "the media is normalising fascism", what I'm envisioning is something much more sinister than even what you're seeing on right-wing mainstream media.

That's actually a more rotund rejection of Spencer than a lot of articles I've seen in otherwise respectable journals. I think you're imagining a more sinister, cabal-like behavior than what's actually going on. The overarching point is that there has been a tendency - probably unconscious among mainstream media outlets - to treat candidates/parties with fascist tendencies as more of a joke than a legitimate threat (which was definitely the case with Trump at least until he won the Republican primaries, at which point it was arguably too late). And painting them as a joke or an outsider who "will never hold any power" lets people feel less bad about voting for them, and then - oops! - Bannon is in the White House. How on Earth could that have happened?

Cingulate posted:

Are you saying I'm proposing voting for Nazis may not be bad? I mean, I may have overstated lost in postation's point, but this seems to me to be taking things too far.

No, not you. It was more of a general complaint about the tenor and quality of debate in the last few pages of the thread.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, I think it's more a case of concentrating on the extremists' eccentricities and lovable quirks rather than the hatefulness of their ideas, not out of a sense of agreement, but because it sells more. (And to maintain a "neutral" political tone, in some cases.)

To get away from the American example (that I singled out because I think it was literal glamour granted to a literal fascist), somebody like Farage undeniably profited from being seen as a figure of fun rather than a serious ethno-nationalist, at least initially.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, I think it's more a case of concentrating on the extremists' eccentricities and lovable quirks rather than the hatefulness of their ideas, not out of a sense of agreement, but because it sells more. (And to maintain a "neutral" political tone, in some cases.)

To get away from the American example (that I singled out because I think it was literal glamour granted to a literal fascist), somebody like Farage undeniably profited from being seen as a figure of fun rather than a serious ethno-nationalist, at least initially.

Absolutely, he was constantly referred to as a man of the people, pictured in pubs drinking and laughing with people like an Ordinary Bloke. No attention was paid to his political positions other than him whining about EU fatcats... despite the fact he himself is a multimillionaire, and never challenged his assertions about the EU even when they were blatantly bullshit.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Either way, I think if you put things in proportion, the media is still just as united in a rejection of the far right as they used to be (i.e., not perfectly, but largely).

Like I tried to say yesterday, that still has negative consequences. In terms of the EU, even if the media in, say, Finland (with whose media I am most familiar) keeps writing EU-positive editorials and castigating EU-critics as racist dullards, people critical of the EU (for whatever reason!) seeing that will note that politician So-and-So is against the EU too, a) maybe EU-critical thoughts aren't so rare after all 2) I might just vote for this bad boy/girl! Or, in another example, several leaders of our racist party have been convicted of racist hate speech or are under investigation for it, and our media tends to put that information in many articles that discuss said leaders. The comment field, if there is one, is invariably filled by racist party supporters crying about "political convictions" and how our society is corrupt and things have to change. So they'll just keep on voting for the racist party, despite explicitly being told that it's the racist party. And this self-victimization about the perceived injustices of the justice system also feeds into the general message that "things gotta change, gotta vote for an alternative"; so long as the main stream parties keep austering away with gay abandon, you'll have more and more people susceptible to a message that the system is against them. I don't think you have to be a Nazi rocket scientist to realize the inevitable outcome of this, despite the media dutifully condemning the racists.

Like I said, I don't have a solution to this Ouroboros of racism, it's simply an observation. It's fine if you want to insist that the media is behaving in a responsible way, but the larger point is that it doesn't diminish the support for racist parties so long as the austerity gently caress-show keeps happening.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cingulate posted:

Because that's one of the three actual examples that were provided.

I think I just have much more extreme associations with the concept of "normalising/glamorising fascism" than you, and under my associations with that concept, the claim that this is a general trend would be quite paranoid. When you say "glamorising fascism", I'm imagining unapologetic and intentional SS aesthetics on Vogue covers and discussions of which Nazi top brass was the cutest.

Talking about the "dapper white nationalist" and the "new think tank in town" is absolutely glamourising them. I don't give a gently caress what publication it's coming from, that is a headline that portrays them as cool kids, as something aesthetically pleasing, and with that portrayal comes the implication that you should find pleasure in these aesthetics. And now you can be a fascist and be greeted with people talking about how handsome you are, or how sexy you are, or how you're a revolutionary firebrand - and that's normalisation. It doesn't matter if in their next breath they denounce your bullshit ideology, through headlines like those they've provided a framework by which you can be treated as a pop-star rather than as a totalitarian rear end in a top hat.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As a more general and topical point, while I am not sure how to most effectively combat the far right in Europe, I do think succeeding in painting them as ridiculous would work better than painting them as dangerous: from what I know, the German AfD is in part attractive because it is perceived as an actual threat, and I assume it's the same for the others. It being dangerous is part of its appeal. If people saw them as imbecile clowns, they wouldn't vote for them. It's certainly like that for Trump - being scary is a reason for, not against.

Truga posted:

Both sideism. Can't look biased, someone might stop reading our website!
Mother Jones?

Altivia posted:

That's actually a more rotund rejection of Spencer than a lot of articles I've seen in otherwise respectable journals. I think you're imagining a more sinister, cabal-like behavior than what's actually going on. The overarching point is that there has been a tendency - probably unconscious among mainstream media outlets - to treat candidates/parties with fascist tendencies as more of a joke than a legitimate threat (which was definitely the case with Trump at least until he won the Republican primaries, at which point it was arguably too late). And painting them as a joke or an outsider who "will never hold any power" lets people feel less bad about voting for them, and then - oops! - Bannon is in the White House. How on Earth could that have happened

No, not you. It was more of a general complaint about the tenor and quality of debate in the last few pages of the thread.
Ok, I guess we're not in actual disagreement about much but terms.
So another one, and this goes more to the US than to the local far right I think: Trump is a clown, and just by virtue of how utterly ridiculous he is, it's neigh unavoidable to make jokes about him. Quoting him verbatim is making fun of him. Posting video clips of him is making fun of him. Though this goes much less for the (European) rest of the far- and alt-right – but it does go for Spencer.

YF-23 posted:

Talking about the "dapper white nationalist" and the "new think tank in town" is absolutely glamourising them. I don't give a gently caress what publication it's coming from
But it matters. Imagine the Jacobin and Breitbart running precisely the same piece on Richard Spencer: they would, actually, be completely different pieces. This is Duchamp's Fountain. If I'm posting a picture of Spencer looking smug on Jezebel, I know people will think, all of them: that's a smug looking idiot, I hope he gets decked in the face. Post the same thing on /pol/, the same picture, people will think: excellent example of superior Aryan genes. The pixels are the same, the message is the opposite.
It also matters because Mother Jones writers most likely assumed they were doing this as a warning. Actually, what the piece communicates to me is making them look more scary. They look serious, they don't have face tattoos - that makes them more dangerous! They're masquerading as normal human beings now, the invasion is here! And I would bet most of the people coming across this, or any, Mother Jones piece will experience it like that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

Mother Jones?

I know I know, I'm just shooting ideas at a wall. It's not at all likely, but I wouldn't put it into the impossible bucket either.

Also, there's very few publications that will call even an open nazi a nazi these days, there's a couple youtube channels that have called Trump's fascists shenanigans fascist, and it just about ends there. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of chilling effect of "well literally nobody is calling these guys nazis so maybe if we call them nazis people will just pull godwin and ignore us".

Reminder that Nazis basically didn't exist in the mainstream US media until Charlotsville happened.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

For the comparison to hold up, you should probably scale the decline to match the ascend. Assuming the Roman Kingdom is the equivalent of the European Economic Community, you end up with a timeline for Europe that looks something like this:

1957: European Economic Community formed
1993: European Union replaces the EEC
2062: The EU is reformed into a federal state.
2075: The United States of Europe reach their greatest extent
2115: The USE break up into the Northern European Union and the Southern European Union
2127: The NEU breaks apart, the SEU remains strong.
2212: The SEU loses most of the Maghreb to a new polity formed by Nigerian refugees.
2264: The capital of the SEU finally falls to the children and grandchildren of these Nigerian refugees
2330: The Sultanate of Europe collapses, it's long decline punctuated by a cataclysmic war.

Pretty realistic I say.

We need 2 major religious shifts rather than just the 1.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Cingulate posted:

When you say "glamorising fascism", I'm imagining unapologetic and intentional SS aesthetics on Vogue covers and discussions of which Nazi top brass was the cutest.
WW2 fascist aesthetics have been thoroughly ridiculed and even appropriated by leftist artists. No serious fascist would want to be associated with any of that any more, so that is a red herring. Modern fascism looks quite different and this aesthetic may even be shaped by how the media choose to depict key alt-right people.

Cingulate posted:

As a more general and topical point, while I am not sure how to most effectively combat the far right in Europe, I do think succeeding in painting them as ridiculous would work better than painting them as dangerous: from what I know, the German AfD is in part attractive because it is perceived as an actual threat, and I assume it's the same for the others. It being dangerous is part of its appeal. If people saw them as imbecile clowns, they wouldn't vote for them. It's certainly like that for Trump - being scary is a reason for, not against.
Ridiculing aspects of the alt-right and other modern fascists would indeed have more impact than ridiculing WW2-era fascist aesthetics, or superficially linking the alt-right to them, at this point. If whatever aesthetic they now choose to convey their fascist message gets highlighted and ridiculed, it will lose its effectiveness.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

I know I know, I'm just shooting ideas at a wall. It's not at all likely, but I wouldn't put it into the impossible bucket either.

Also, there's very few publications that will call even an open nazi a nazi these days, there's a couple youtube channels that have called Trump's fascists shenanigans fascist, and it just about ends there. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of chilling effect of "well literally nobody is calling these guys nazis so maybe if we call them nazis people will just pull godwin and ignore us".

Reminder that Nazis basically didn't exist in the mainstream US media until Charlotsville happened.

I actually doubt the far-right is uncomfortable with what they perceive to be an inflationary usage of the term "fascist".

Entropist posted:

WW2 fascist aesthetics have been thoroughly ridiculed and even appropriated by leftist artists. No serious fascist would want to be associated with any of that any more, so that is a red herring. Modern fascism looks quite different and this aesthetic may even be shaped by how the media choose to depict key alt-right people.

Ridiculing aspects of the alt-right and other modern fascists would indeed have more impact than ridiculing WW2-era fascist aesthetics, or superficially linking the alt-right to them, at this point. If whatever aesthetic they now choose to convey their fascist message gets highlighted and ridiculed, it will lose its effectiveness.
Not quite your point, but: I think at this time, the impact of the term 'fascist' applied to somebody on the far right depends entirely on how you see the far right in the first place. If you see it as an evil entity, "fascist" is just an expression of your disapproval. If you're sympathetic, it's perceived as hysterics (also antifa are the real fascists). The analytic value is less than zero. The question is, how do those still somehow on the fence see it? And my hunch is, if you're somehow still on the fence, seeing the alt-right called fascist more often is not likely to convince you; considering there are so far no death camps being built, you'll probably experience it as hysterics, too.
So we have neither a language to sufficiently demonise, nor to sufficiently ridicule the far right. It's all just circle jerking for now.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cingulate posted:

I actually doubt the far-right is uncomfortable with what they perceive to be an inflationary usage of the term "fascist".

Not quite your point, but: I think at this time, the impact of the term 'fascist' applied to somebody on the far right depends entirely on how you see the far right in the first place. If you see it as an evil entity, "fascist" is just an expression of your disapproval. If you're sympathetic, it's perceived as hysterics (also antifa are the real fascists). The analytic value is less than zero. The question is, how do those still somehow on the fence see it? And my hunch is, if you're somehow still on the fence, seeing the alt-right called fascist more often is not likely to convince you; considering there are so far no death camps being built, you'll probably experience it as hysterics, too.
So we have neither a language to sufficiently demonise, nor to sufficiently ridicule the far right. It's all just circle jerking for now.

Most of the criticism seems to miss the big picture, which is that the far right receives a huge amount of criticism in the media. Trying to come up with a far-fetched explanation of why the media is to blame, for example Richard Spencer in a suit or not mentioning that Nigel Farage is a millionaire with a German wife every sentence, basically exists so that posters here who lean far left can pat themselves on the back and say "yeah, it's the media's fault."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Most of the criticism seems to miss the big picture, which is that the far right receives a huge amount of criticism in the media. Trying to come up with a far-fetched explanation of why the media is to blame, for example Richard Spencer in a suit or not mentioning that Nigel Farage is a millionaire with a German wife every sentence, basically exists so that posters here who lean far left can pat themselves on the back and say "yeah, it's the media's fault."

*looks sadly as the discussion flies miles over your head*

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Geriatric Pirate posted:

So what kind of language do you think can best combat rise of the far-right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Nobody in the mainstream dares to call these people fascists openly and repeatedly until it sticks, like they deserve, so when someone actually says it, it's propped up in right wing media as being ridiculous/dumb. "Obviously we aren't actually really fascists, look at this sensationalist loon!". It took literal nazi flags to call nazis nazis at charlotsville, and even then with great reluctance by some, that's the really hosed up part in all this. If it steps like a goose, it's probably a fascist.

I have an older brother that trawls the local techtalk messageboard, and obviously there's idiot nazis hanging around and they keep talking this or that bullshit, including paraphrased 14 words or shooting at refugees on the border, and he comes into threads and starts talking about throwing all these nazi posters into caves (this exact thing happened around the end of world war 2 here, tens of thousands of people, mostly nazi collaborators but also some, uh, "anti-communists", were extrajudicially executed and buried/thrown into holes in terrain, there's still one mass grave found every year or three, so everyone knows exactly what he's talking about).

Normal people read that and laugh but the nazi people refuse to see the mirror image/irony at all. They keep rushing into the same exact thing that happened to their predecessors, for the exact same bullshit reasons. The one and only thing changed in the narrative is godless commies got replaced by muslim rapists. It's absolutely incredible how exactly the same the rhetoric is, and yet, when someone calls them on their nazi poo poo, or shows them a mirror, they get told they're being ridiculous and an enemy of are people.

e: I think my point is, many nazis don't even realise what they are, because they're giant loving babies with opinions that matter a lot to them, but not many people say they're loving nazis into their face often enough, and if you don't agree you're probably just a part of a communist conspiracy or a criminal who doesn't want to obey their totally fair and good (for them and nobody else) "common sense".

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 29, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Most of the criticism seems to miss the big picture, which is that the far right receives a huge amount of criticism in the media.

It's obviously not nearly enough criticism. Or maybe the only criticism they'll understand is assault rifles, it's what it took last time. We'll probably find out fairly soon, tbh.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cingulate posted:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cingulate posted:

Geriatric Pirate doesn't want to combat the rise of the far right.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Geriatric Pirate doesn't want to combat the rise of the far right.

Everyone has some sense of self-preservation after all.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cingulate posted:

Anything that is perceived to have an agenda or purpose will ultimately end up being counterproductive. The goal for the media (when it comes to reporting, not editorials) should be objectivity, and the terms chosen should be the most objective ones. The media's job isn't to combat the rise of the far-right by using news just like the media's job wasn't to sway voters towards Brexit through biased reporting about the EU. Both the far-left and right are exploiting perceived biases in the centrist media and I think that's driving people on the fence towards both sides.

I think "far-right" is a fair term. Calling someone who has repeatedly said "I'm not a Nazi, Nazis are bad" (like the AfD leader mentioned earlier here) just makes people seem hysterical whereas calling someone who is proud to be a Nazi a Nazi is probably fair.

But in the big picture it's a huge sideshow that both the far-left and right are using to explain increases in support for each other, because it allows them to say "if only the media was unbiased, we'd win by so much." Not that I think that the media is completely irrelevant (it drives people's perceptions of the world a lot), but it's being used as a scapegoat by both sides right now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not a human, humans are bad.

I'm also not lying through my loving teeth right now. :cmon:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So you think anybody's gonna read that one and come out of it thinking, "hm, maybe these alt-right people ain't so bad after all"? The most strongly leftist people I know linked me to that piece, if I remember correctly.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Anything that is perceived to have an agenda or purpose will ultimately end up being counterproductive. The goal for the media (when it comes to reporting, not editorials) should be objectivity, and the terms chosen should be the most objective ones. The media's job isn't to combat the rise of the far-right by using news just like the media's job wasn't to sway voters towards Brexit through biased reporting about the EU. Both the far-left and right are exploiting perceived biases in the centrist media and I think that's driving people on the fence towards both sides.
So you're saying the op-ed and the editorial should be abolished ..? I think your idea of the media's role is severely impoverished.
But I didn't ask you what the media's job should be, but with what language one could counter the far-right.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I think "far-right" is a fair term. Calling someone who has repeatedly said "I'm not a Nazi, Nazis are bad" (like the AfD leader mentioned earlier here) just makes people seem hysterical whereas calling someone who is proud to be a Nazi a Nazi is probably fair.

But in the big picture it's a huge sideshow that both the far-left and right are using to explain increases in support for each other, because it allows them to say "if only the media was unbiased, we'd win by so much." Not that I think that the media is completely irrelevant (it drives people's perceptions of the world a lot), but it's being used as a scapegoat by both sides right now.
I've long believed media is more a mirror than blinders.

(And yes, I rather deliberately say "far-right" rather than fascist or nazi. I guess Spencer is a fascist and a nazi, but the AfD and Leave and so on, aren't. They're highly reactionary and they have fascist tendencies, but they're not fascist.)

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The goal of the media has never been objectivity, and it's probably unachievable regardless. What's concerning is nominally left-leaning media being so timid and reluctant to use any strong political language to describe the rise of the far right when right-wing media fully embraces libel and insults.

For reference, here's a recent cover of a reasonably mainstream French newspaper:

They're outright stating that an "ultra-violent" communist fifth column is planning a coup.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cingulate posted:

So you think anybody's gonna read that one and come out of it thinking, "hm, maybe these alt-right people ain't so bad after all"? The most strongly leftist people I know linked me to that piece, if I remember correctly.

So you're saying the op-ed and the editorial should be abolished ..? I think your idea of the media's role is severely impoverished.
But I didn't ask you what the media's job should be, but with what language one could counter the far-right.
I've long believed media is more a mirror than blinders.

(And yes, I rather deliberately say "far-right" rather than fascist or nazi. I guess Spencer is a fascist and a nazi, but the AfD and Leave and so on, aren't. They're highly reactionary and they have fascist tendencies, but they're not fascist.)

I made sure to include "in reporting" in my text about the media, to make sure that it's distinct from the analysis and editorial parts. I think the best policy is to be as open as possible about the facts and to win on those instead of plotting the best way to call someone a fascist (anybody remember where the term "fake news" came from? That's going to happen to any attempt to overpoliticize reporting)

And my answer was: Objective language, and when it comes to European nationalist parties that is "far-right". If you're down to trying to pick the best terms to discredit your opponent, you've already failed in a way. I mean I admit it does get a bit difficult with people like Trump to pick the correct term (is he really far-right?) but it should be a complete sideshow compared to letting his actions speak for themselves. And like I said - the problem with being too aggressive with language is that it backfires spectacularly and leads to the exact opposite of what you were aiming to do in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

They're outright stating that an "ultra-violent" communist fifth column is planning a coup.

"But we're better than that!" is screaming the centre-left media, as it feels a nozzle touch the back of its head.