Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Don't Hurt the Feelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
H.A.L.O.U.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vbo4F6lS7w

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Good For Healthy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No Why and Good for Healthy have already been titles. I like H.A.L.O.U

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm being told from a friend that TCM is "just different" from Western medicine and that it "works with your body" and not to "judge" it. That it "grows your immune system" and all this nonsense. Like, is any of that true? At all?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

None of it is true whatsoever.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Well, it IS "just different" from western medicine in that it isn't based on scientific evidence whatsoever.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
A friend recently returned from China, and he has always had great stuff to say about the place. Prior to going I told him about things I've read here like street making GBS threads and he said "no way!" before checking the Internet and coming back to me laughing and surprised.
He went with a tour group from his work, which is law enforcement, and said that they are way ahead of us in terms of their high-tech operations centre with big screens etc. He said he was impressed by a lot of the new construction and I asked him what the finishing was like. He said something like "oh yeah, pretty bad" so I suggested he see how good those high-tech things are in a few years of no maintenance.
He brought me back a couple of little gifts and this is one of them:

Contains a blister pack of unmarked white pills and a set of Chinese instructions. It's obviously a joke item, but you couldn't pay me to actually eat one of them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

McGavin posted:

Well, it IS "just different" from western medicine in that it isn't based on scientific evidence whatsoever.

This is true.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ceciltron posted:

Does that article talk about "leftover women" because if not lol

very briefly but largely in the context they're being ignored by the government who are more worried about the 30m more men

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Imperialist Dog posted:

Here's a good read on life in rural China. 75% don't graduate high school, there's double the normal rate of low intelligence children (because they're raised by the grandmothers ... but why, exactly?), most kids are malnourished, and only 5% of children are read to by their parents (as a teacher I can say that this is a big loving deal as early exposure to literacy is a major indicator of future academic success to say the least). Fascinating read all around.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/09/one-three-chinese-children-faces-education-apocalypse-ambitious-experiment-hopes-save

I am way way late to this I know but also incest is not uncommon in rural China. Like, although it's technically illegal to marry your cousin, it's not really a big thing in rural China (although supposedly that's about as close as they'll get, normally). They also tend to marry and have kids young.

I mean when you walk into a village and everyone has the same family name (and it isn't "Li" or "Zhang") there's a reason for that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Taintrunner posted:

I'm being told from a friend that TCM is "just different" from Western medicine and that it "works with your body" and not to "judge" it. That it "grows your immune system" and all this nonsense. Like, is any of that true? At all?

If by 'Grows your immune system' she means 'Gives you septicemia' then maybe?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

all cultures are the same, if you don't think so you are a racist. hope this helps

*spits on ground*
(Sees a white person, literally screams at them HALLLOUUUUU)
*walks past a man taking a dump into the sewer*

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

That's one of those things I think is really important to the picture, because the stigma on those women is so strong that I think even the forever-alone migrant guys might not consider wifing one while his parents whine that he has no heir. City guys are only allowed to consider it if they really have no other options and have been rejected by younger women. Even then, the family will do their best to go for the lowest-hanging fruit from hometown. It's so common for these guys to call up girls they used to go to primary or high school with to see if they're single and looking. They will do ever last-ditch idea to avoid him from taking left-overs.

Divorced women, no matter how blameless, are the perpetual social outcasts in China. They are "used goods," and no family would ever allow their son to marry one unless he was already divorced and both parties had fulfilled the duties of "kid, house, car." I have talked to so many divorced women, and the number one reason for divorce was "He had a xiao san and left me for her, and now they have their own family." His parents will fully support this, and he gets the choice to dump his kid with his washed-up ex-wife, or keep the kid (usually out of spite) and let his parents treat it like garbage because it is connected to his previous life and the "one who must not be named." Even if he left her for his mistress or office mate, his family will treat her as if she murdered grandpa and she is to blame for the fact that China has a strong mistress culture. She's left with nothing usually, and has to begin her life over from scratch, especially those that were housewives. Some go from middle-class life into destitute factories and dorms because of this. If they were only-children, they are stuck with the burden of still being the parents' retirement plan, and have to pay for them. I talked to a divorced woman working in a factory back when I lived on the outskirts of SZ, and of her 2500 RMB per month salary, only 500 she kept for herself for the entire month. The rest went to pay for her busted-up ill parents sitting in some moldy brick house in a field somewhere.

The funny thing about dating women that are older age (visibly 30+) in China is that Chinese men don't get jealous or angry even if she's personally successful, rich, and very pretty, because they only care about post-90s graduates who are in prime baby-making age. They might spew their hateful comments at younger girls dating foreigners, or talk poo poo about them and gossip, but when she's older than what they wish they had they have no issue at all. Many will assume you're married. Most know she must already have a kid and is therefore disgusting to even look at. The most patriotic of Mainland men will just think you're delusional or pathetic to be dating a woman 30 and up. Face culture requires people to get offended and lose face at seeing others with things they don't have, even if it's utterly impossible for them to also have it. Older women have zero value in China, so there's zero loss of face for the average Mainlander when those women shack up with undesired riff-raff from abroad.
One of the women I met on Tantan is absolutely the most beautiful Chinese woman I have ever known. She's divorced, has a high-paying job, bought her own house, and her son and parents live with her. She's been single for so many years now that she has resigned herself to make her singledom permanent. The BBW I used to post about is in the same case, and admitted the reason she gained weight is because she knows nobody will ever bother with her again, so she might as well enjoy her life without starvation to keep slim.

The only women in China I met that were actually relaxed about things were middle-class divorced women, especially 30+. They came with none of the mental issues that the younger women had, and usually had no desire to marry again if they had fulfilled their obligations in the previous marriage (usually a kid). They were always the most open-minded, gave no pressure about expecting a committed relationship, and usually told the same story of "Chinese guys won't even look at me, I haven't been laid in years. When can I come over?" They also are not shy to do stuff or take advice in that department, unlike the younger girls who are so fussy.

The few divorced women I ever talked to that desired to marry again were ones very fresh out of divorce and haven't realized no Chinese man will touch them again, or ones that had not had children before and their families were still pestering them. They were funny because they would revert back to the exact same tactics they used last time they were single, a decade ago, and were not at that point where they understood that their youthful bargaining chip and social approval were all gone. They would be weary about me being in my 30s and unmarried, as if I was hiding some deep dark secrets, and couldn't accept that I like not being married. Despite this, they would tell me "I am looking for a husband," and then get angry when I say I didn't want marriage. How could I not? I am alone and in the prime male marriage age! I must be a secret ax-murderer. Foreigners are all bad.

In my experience, many of the left-over women that had never been married were always holding out for "true love," even if they've had horrible relationships before and found that life wasn't giving them a rom-com story. They still bought into the love fairy tale that all the recent college graduates believed in, and were convinced their super man was right around the corner. This led them to have impossible standards sometimes, and they had no clue that this would continue to lead them towards more time single and, in the future, worse partners to settle for when it comes to that point. Again, they would blame me for not wanting to get married as one of the reasons they were unable to get married, and blame men for not being as insane about marriage as they are. They still had the "let's talk marriage before we think about having a date" mentality that the young girls had, and would not "get it" that acting like a spoiled baby was going to continue their lonely life. I remember one was about 28 and told me she expected any suitor to already have the house and car waiting for her, vacations every year, and spending money. When I pointed out she had a job and could possibly use her own money to contribute to the household, she said her money was hers and he will have to pay for everything. I asked what, if anything, she could provide to the marriage and she said "I will have his baby." Like, LOL, that's not even difficult, and someone so spoiled would not even bother to take care of the kid in the first place.

On the other side of this is that divorced Chinese men, in the eyes of women, are ignored by many because they know that there's a 99% chance he caused the divorce and they don't want to get involved with that. Still, divorced guys can usually remarry again if they have money, because most of the time they got to keep all the stuff they got during marriage, so they are coming fully-loaded with the house and car and bank account that other guys need time to build. Chaoshan Girl's mom married her dad for this reason, and fully admitted that was why. She knows he has xiao san, but she's the one with the house and gambling money, so she doesn't care.

I'm just musing on this, because if I ever go back (LOL), I will no longer bother with the younger ones. China can give me all their divorced and left-over women and let me have some peaceful plunges. Chaoshan Girl will be the last young one I want to deal with, her being a few months short of a decade younger. The other Chaoshan woman I was seeing before I left there is divorced and doesn't have custody of her daughter, works a good job, and so she has a lot of spending money sitting in the bank. She told me that wherever I want her to meet me, she'll fly and stay a week, and wants to do it a few times per year. I told her no India, but when I take a break and visit Thailand for a few weeks later she's welcome, and she agreed. Splitting a hotel room with a sweet woman beats staying in my sister's old room at my dad's house.

No, no, YES, no.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ceciltron posted:

leftover women are women being super picky and demanding insane poo poo

these are the 30 million excess dudes (who are the backbone of china) who are unsettled

it's two completely different issues

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grand Fromage posted:

No Why and Good for Healthy have already been titles. I like H.A.L.O.U

Then it's the sequel, Bad for Healthy

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tsuru posted:

The Nongs - No Why

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Please tell me that's a photoshop

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

poster formerly known as haier, have you seen India In A Day? https://youtu.be/vbcUMvrsvJk

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Serephina posted:

Please tell me that's a photoshop

welcome you to china

they should just send all those bikes to actual impoverished areas in china rather than sprawling metropolises

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

many a mickle makes a muckle

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

peanut posted:

many a mickle makes a muckle

"Many a bickie, makes a sickie." :australia:

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jeoh posted:

poster formerly known as haier, have you seen India In A Day? https://youtu.be/vbcUMvrsvJk
I have not, but did LOL at some of the very Indian shots (such as kids always bathing in cold water no matter the season, and screaming their heads off.

Trash clothing brand and Adidas NMD shoes? I am completely shocked at the originality this gent is showing in his fine tuhao five-piece suit :monocle:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Amergin posted:

I am way way late to this I know but also incest is not uncommon in rural China. Like, although it's technically illegal to marry your cousin, it's not really a big thing in rural China (although supposedly that's about as close as they'll get, normally). They also tend to marry and have kids young.

I mean when you walk into a village and everyone has the same family name (and it isn't "Li" or "Zhang") there's a reason for that.

I am genuinely intrigued by the idea of Chinese Targaryens.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Instead of being able to talk to dragons they have learning disabilities.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
A Hong Kong legislator has been convicted of flag desecration ... for turning the communist colonial flags upside down

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/2113379/pro-democracy-legislator-guilty-desecrating-hong-kong-and

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Imperialist Dog posted:

A Hong Kong legislator has been convicted of flag desecration ... for turning the communist colonial flags upside down

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/2113379/pro-democracy-legislator-guilty-desecrating-hong-kong-and

Why do they hate are troops?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Surnames are a lovely way of measuring incest because they naturally spread across society over time.

Anyways cousin marriages are most crazy in Pakistan where its like +50% of the population.

tbqh everybody in that photo is dressed poorly

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

oh my god

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Track list:
01. Do You Know?
02. Hot Water
03. The Gaokao Blues
04. Ni Chi Le Ma?
05. Hurt Feelings
06. Bu Yao

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Devils Affricate posted:

Track list:
01. Do You Know?
02. Hot Water
03. The Gaokao Blues
04. Ni Chi Le Ma?
05. Hurt Feelings
06. Bu Yao

Bonus track is the sound of high-pressure, greasy diarrhea spraying against a sidewalk.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just heard this from my wife...

Her Aunt was walking around her podunk 5th tier city in Jilin province and a teenager bumped into her. She fell and broke her arm, and they took the teen's family to court. They won, and the teen's family had to pay a lump sum of the equivalent of.

Canadian Dollars

So ~450,000 RMB for a broken arm.

My wife honestly doesn't know how they could take that amount and look themselves in the mirror the next day. That's pretty much condemning this family to poverty for the better part of a decade, and they themselves are decently well off, so it's not like there is going to be any real hardship because a retiree broke her arm.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you got mine

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
China really is the most capitalist country on earth

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

My wife honestly doesn't know how they could take that amount and look themselves in the mirror the next day.
LOL, no way. She knows how. We all know. Why would someone not want to look at their FACE in the mirror after gaining massive FACE? That smug look would carry them for years. Free money! F.R.E.E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Fantastic Flyer posted:

China really is the most capitalist country on earth

Nobody, not even the Chinese, will miss it, once they have been rehomed and rehabituated to civil society.

• Locked thread