Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

bad metaphors posted:

In a sense, making tournaments double elim or bo3/bo5 sets is rng mitigation but I have to admit there's a certain charm to japanese style single elim + bo1 tournaments

the only losers bracket in death fist kumite... is in hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Zand posted:

i was hoping there would still be high profile defenders, honestly was thinking more like twitter or something

game only sold like 8k copies in jp first week

heres a good thing to look at from eventhubs, a damage control article where velociraptor calls this game the olive garden of fgs

Capcom projected 2 million copies for the fiscal year. They might be lucky to shift a million.

In Japan, it's first week would place it lower than of Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2, BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend, and For Honor.

What a disaster.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sunning posted:

In Japan, it's first week would place it lower than of Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2, BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend, and For Honor.

rofl

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Brosnan posted:

I love vsav and understand why the pushblock system works the way it does (adds some skill to a really important defensive technique in an extremely pressure-based game etc.) but I don't really find it fun to do and wish there was an alternative.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. It's not my favorite (but like you allude to, a 100% pushblock like MvC would break the game) but that's also a testament to how good the game is despite that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/HMKilla/status/913244647492915200

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/UltVictory/status/913200188289843200

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lmao i'm having a ton of trouble doing inputs on p2 side all of a sudden, i am consistently missing either my forward or down forward input so all of a sudden i cannot god damned do a loving fireball while facing left for the life of me what the hell. and i checked both of my sticks, so it's not the sticks.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
you may have had a stroke

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Sometimes your rhythm is just....off. It even varies between games. My quarter circles are fine in Xrd but inconsistent as gently caress in Tekken.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it started after i stopped riding the gate. so now i'm reteaching myself how to ride the gate, at least in that direction.

lmfao

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Endorph posted:

can you really not tell the difference between 'things randomly dropping from the sky in every match' and 'one character having one move with varying results but he still has to do the move and the pool of things that can happen is fairly limited'

Well the difference here is that guilty gear is a fighting game and smash is not. The RNG is not an issue in either.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When are they finally going to start having Mario Party tournaments? FGC is so exclusionary to different kinds of fighting games, geez.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mp is kinda like real life fighting over a game tho

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

When are they finally going to start having Mario Party tournaments? FGC is so exclusionary to different kinds of fighting games, geez.
They'll have to elbow the Yoshi's Cookie community out of the way first.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I would love to see a serious, competitive mario party tournament more than I would a Smash tournament.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would love to see a serious, competitive mario party tournament more than I would a Smash tournament.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Probably my new favorite of these.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Peach's Birthday Cake only, no team games.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I don't know about a whole MP tournament, but I've always thought that the Bumper Balls mini-game was a legit fighting game with serious depth.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elephunk posted:

I don't know about a whole MP tournament, but I've always thought that the Bumper Balls mini-game was a legit fighting game with serious depth.

The statue breaking one is the most next level yomi poo poo.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

The statue breaking one is the most next level yomi poo poo.

The hand-breaking gyrocopter one that may or may not have caused permanent scarring on my palm is up there, too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Elephunk posted:

The hand-breaking gyrocopter one that may or may not have caused permanent scarring on my palm is up there, too.

Same but it was the raft game.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You, a moron: spent 10,000 hours mastering the minigame meta.

Me, a genius:. *picks Luigi, lets go of controller*

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mario party 1 has the option to turn off hidden blocks, boo and koopa

You can play with zero randomness

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Mario party 1 has the option to turn off hidden blocks, boo and koopa

You can play with zero randomness

Except for, you know, the dice rolls every turn...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BattleHamster posted:

Except for, you know, the dice rolls every turn...

If your reflexes and timing are good enough you can roll a 10 every time.

Also the best minigame is the Russian Roulette where you all take turns inflating a balloon, and whoever pops it loses everything

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Die rolls in mario party are predetermined. You cannot change fate...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Die rolls in mario party are predetermined. You cannot change fate...

Oh really? I thought I saw a mario party speedrun (lol) where some guy was able to get 9 - 10 on all of his rolls. Unless he was doing some weird stuff to manipulate the RNG like rotating the analog stick 3 times counter clockwise then shoving the controller in his rear end

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Oh really? I thought I saw a mario party speedrun (lol) where some guy was able to get 9 - 10 on all of his rolls. Unless he was doing some weird stuff to manipulate the RNG like rotating the analog stick 3 times counter clockwise then shoving the controller in his rear end

iirc some mario parties you can actually use reflexes to get the roll you want but in others the rolls are predetermined before you even press a button

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
There was at least one Mario Party that had an item you could use to slow down the roll. That let you get whatever you wanted.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Mario party is definitely a fighting game.

I have to fight the urge to kill myself.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Mario Party 2 is a better fighting game than street fighter 1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sade posted:

Mario Party 2 is a better fighting game than street fighter 1

My turds are a better fighting game than Street Fighter 1

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The version you actually have to punch gets a pass

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

In Training posted:

My turds are a better fighting game than Street Fighter 1

What input delay do your turds have?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I only output turds. loving weirdo

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

The version you actually have to punch gets a pass

In an alternate universe this became the input standard for home arcade sticks:

David Sirlin teaches you to use "Vibration Hand" to ensure you get your wakeup dp out as soon as possible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Spanish Manlove posted:

What input delay do your turds have?

Mine have rollback. It's very uncomfortable.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Real hurthling! posted:

I only output turds. loving weirdo

You should eat more fiber and strong, black coffee to reduce your input delay if you're having issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol mvci cant find me a ranked match in my region with 4/5 bars at 1am on a friday.

Its Toast