Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Cool. Sadly no sous vide (yet), but I was thinking a slow, monitored poaching would do the job for the time being. I have done Kenji's suggestion for breast, starting them in cold water a on the stove and then keeping the water between 150F and 170F for 30 min. I'm guessing thighs might take less time to cook, not sure how long though. And suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm having a party, my friend offered to bring tabbouleh and I said then I'd make something with chickpeas and lamb or chicken to go with it. With two days to go I realized I don't have any kind of plan for this. Help. I'm thinking something vaguely Arabian/North African, doesn't have to be super authentic as long as it's tasty.

Kseksou Tanjaoui
Couscous with Lamb and Raisins -this is like a chunky, saucy dish

K'Dra Djej
Chicken with Onions and Chickpeas -uses a whole chicken or bone-in chicken parts

Lentil, Swiss Chard and Lamb Kofte [Meatball] Soup

I can type one of these up for you if you want.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 27, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

I bought a couple pounds of jalapenos with the intention of making some poppers for a dinner party this weekend. The party happened but they didn't, and now I'm leaving on Friday for a weeklong cruise and don't want them to go bad. What can I do with a shitload of jalapenos in the short amount of time before I leave, that doesn't involve a huge amount of effort?

To piggyback on this, I have a bunch of jalapenos that I know I'm going to eventually roast, but won't have the means to do what I want with the roasted peppers for a couple weeks (my plan is to make a fermented pepper mash with roasted peppers for eventual hot sauce). Would it be better to roast them now, freeze them, and then thaw them when I'm ready, or should I freeze them now and then thaw & roast them when ready?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think roast first then freeze, if just so they take up less space in the freezer.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Human Tornada posted:

Kseksou Tanjaoui

K'Dra Djej
Chicken with Onions and Chickpeas -uses a whole chicken or bone-in chicken parts

I'd take the first one even tho I, not OP!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Enourmo posted:

What's the best way to get carbon off of stainless steel? I've got a few pots with burnt crud on the bottom, but my main thing is a pot lid that, due to a severe cooking mishap, got blasted by thick smoke underneath for like 30 minutes, which somehow got baked on and it is now permanently on there. Seriously, it's like powder coat, just a thick, hard layer of glossy black on the bottom of the lid (it happened while on the pot, top side is still clean).

My cast iron instincts say "throw it in the oven on self clean" but somehow I don't think thin sheet metal would like that as much.

barkeepers friend and a soft cloth. If it's still got some stuff not coming off after a little effort, soak in some water + a little vinegar for 30m then rinse and try again with the barkeepers.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Jay Carney posted:

I'd take the first one even tho I, not OP!

Ditto, this sounds delicious, I'd love the recipe.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Human Tornada posted:

Kseksou Tanjaoui

K'Dra Djej

That second one sounds amazing. Would you mind posting it?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Hey, goons. Can anyone give me an idea on how to spice up (either figuratively or literally) potatoes au gratin? Thanks!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
pepper

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

This is a Moroccan dish but I'm white as hell with no connection to the region whatsoever just a heads up.

Couscous with Lamb and Raisins

2 oz butter
3-5 lamb shanks
3 onions, 2 quartered, 1 halved and sliced thin
1/2 t ground tumeric
1+1/2 t ground ginger
1 t ground black pepper
1/8 t ground saffron threads
pinch of cayenne pepper
3 cilantro sprigs + 3 flat leaf parsley sprigs, tied together
15 oz can chickpeas
3/4 c golden raisins
salt
prepared couscous

Melt butter over low heat in a large saucepan. Add the lamb, onion quarters, and spices and stir for 1 minute.

Add 2 cups water, the herbs, 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a gentle boil. Cover and simmer over low for 1 hr 45 min to 2 hours, until the lamb is tender.

Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, submerge in cool water, and run them between fingers to loosen the skins. Let the chickpeas sink and skim the floating skins and throw away. Drain the now-skinless chickpeas.

When the lamb is ready, pull the shanks out and pull the meat off the bones and cut the meat into pieces.

Return the meat to the pan along with the chickpeas, sliced onion, raisins, and a little more water depending on how thick you want it. Cover and cook for 20 more minutes

Discard the herbs, adjust the water level to your liking, add more salt if it needs it, and serve on a big platter on top of a bed of warm couscous.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Also a Moroccan dish.

Chicken with Onions and Chickpeas

2 oz butter
3 onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground black pepper
3-4 lb bone-in chicken parts (I use thighs for just about everything)
1/8 t. ground saffron threads
1 cinnamon stick
2x 15 oz can chickpeas
3 T. flat leaf parsley, chopped fine, plus extra for garnish
lemon wedges to serve

Melt the butter over medium heat in a dutch over or large saucepan. Add 1/3 onions and cook until softened. Add the ginger, pepper, and chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, flipping occasionally.

Add 1+1/4 cups water, remaining onion, saffron, cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a low boil and then cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, submerge in cool water, and run them between fingers to loosen the skins. Let the chickpeas sink and skim the floating skins and throw away. Drain the now-skinless chickpeas.

Add the chickpeas and parsley and cover and simmer another 15 minutes.

Extract the chicken, letting as much liquid as possible drain back into the pan.

Heat some butter or oil (or fat you skimmed from the sauce) in a frying pan over high heat and quickly brown the chicken pieces all over. While you're doing this, turn the heat back up on the main dish and reduce it down to however thick you like it. Salt to taste and remove the cinnamon stick.

Put the chicken pieces in some sort of serving vessel and pour the chickpeas and sauce over top of them and garnish with some parsley and lemon wedges. Serve with crusty bread or whatever.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 28, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TequilaJesus posted:

Hey, goons. Can anyone give me an idea on how to spice up (either figuratively or literally) potatoes au gratin? Thanks!
Google Thomas Keller's pommes pave.

Edit: here's a link

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aww yeah, that's the ticket. Gonna go for the chicken but I'm for sure making the lamb at some point too. Thanks!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

TequilaJesus posted:

Kenji's hasselback gratin is dope

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-hasselback-potato-gratin-the-best-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

Anything interesting to do with a big bag of shishito peppers?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I got a big bag of small frozen shrimp from my parents. What can i do pasta wise thats not a cream sauce? Im lactose intolerant, it would be too much dairy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Olive oil and lots of garlic

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Casu Marzu posted:

Drop 'em in hot oil til they get blistery and serve with a sweet soy drizzle.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Anne Whateley posted:

Olive oil and lots of garlic

Any herbs and spices recommended?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

I usually just blister 'em and toss them with something salty that'll go with whatever they're being served with---plain kosher salt works fine, but you can also use soy, fish sauce, or something fancier depending on what else is going to be on the table.

The typical shishito fad thing is blistered and stuffed with chèvre and if you go that way then you can tart up your saucing options because of the broader flavour profile---something like a fish fragrant sauce (soy, black vinegar, ginger, some allium), some variety of balsamic reduction, whatever.

But really unless you're trying to get hired or laid out of using them as an app I'd just blister, salt, done. I like them as a side with something like bbq or burgers, along with something with a light, clean flavour like sweet corn on the cob.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Captainsalami posted:

Just pepper, maybe a little lemon. It's a scampi pasta variation if you want to google specifics. I would also do pieces of something green, like parsley or spinach.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

I got a big bag of small frozen shrimp from my parents. What can i do pasta wise thats not a cream sauce? Im lactose intolerant, it would be too much dairy.

Pesto.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Captainsalami posted:

I like oregano

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Captainsalami posted:

Spaghetti with prawns, chilli & rocket is really good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does anyone got a fairly "classic" caesar dressing recipe? It seems theres a lot of contention over the original. I'm really looking something really barebones.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone got a fairly "classic" caesar dressing recipe? It seems theres a lot of contention over the original. I'm really looking something really barebones.
Julia Child, who both ate Caesar Cardini's original salad and discussed the recipe with him, gives the dressing as being olive oil (1/4 cup or so), an egg blanched for one minute, the juice of one lemon, and a few drops of Worcestershire. In addition to the sauce the classic presentation involved fresh romaine, garlic-rubbed crouton, p. reggiano, pepper, and nothing else. Assembled at the table with gold tongs if you want to go hardcore historical re-enactment with the recipe.

Child reports that Cardini was emphatic that anchovies were not part of his original recipe.

That said, this is a pretty good base from which to develop your own preferred Caesar salad but it almost certainly isn't exactly what you have in mind---fast foodish forms of the dressing usually use mayo instead of egg, for example, and `fancy'/`authentic' versions today almost invariably include either anchovies or anchovy paste.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Julia Child, who both ate Caesar Cardini's original salad and discussed the recipe with him, gives the dressing as being olive oil (1/4 cup or so), an egg blanched for one minute, the juice of one lemon, and a few drops of Worcestershire. In addition to the sauce the classic presentation involved fresh romaine, garlic-rubbed crouton, p. reggiano, pepper, and nothing else. Assembled at the table with gold tongs if you want to go hardcore historical re-enactment with the recipe.

Child reports that Cardini was emphatic that anchovies were not part of his original recipe.

That said, this is a pretty good base from which to develop your own preferred Caesar salad but it almost certainly isn't exactly what you have in mind---fast foodish forms of the dressing usually use mayo instead of egg, for example, and `fancy'/`authentic' versions today almost invariably include either anchovies or anchovy paste.

Interesting that it's a blanched egg. When I've had it in fancy restaurants where they make it at the table, I always thought that the eggs were raw. And gently caress authenticity, I love me some muddled stinky fish.

Hey, SubG, is there an interesting reason why the Brits call arugula "rocket"? The only context I have for that word is "tube of fuel with a nozzle at one end".

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
This is just a guess, but since the French call it Roquette, it's probably a corruption of that.

Edit:

I googled it, apparently it comes from the Latin word for caterpillar:

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/the-etymology-of-the-word-arugula

quote:

Eruca was also the Latin word for "caterpillar," making arugula something like "the caterpillar plant." Aphrodisiac jokes aside, this might seem a little odd (it tastes nothing like caterpillars!), unless you've actually tried to grow arugula in your garden--certain caterpillars called cabbage worms seem to love munching on the stuff, and given the sorry state of ancient pesticides, the connection would have been pretty clear to most Romans.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 29, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Here's my caesar recipe. Not traditional in the prep or really the ingredients, but tastes like what one expects caesar to taste like these days. Pretty drat good. Dump it all in the cup for your stick blender then emulsify the poo poo out of it. Best to make it up an hour ahead of time so the flavors can come together and you can adjust seasoning if need be.

1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 egg
1/4 cup grated parm
1 tbsp anchovy paste
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
Couple/few dashes of L&P
salt

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SubG posted:

I usually just blister 'em and toss them with something salty that'll go with whatever they're being served with---plain kosher salt works fine, but you can also use soy, fish sauce, or something fancier depending on what else is going to be on the table.

The typical shishito fad thing is blistered and stuffed with chèvre and if you go that way then you can tart up your saucing options because of the broader flavour profile---something like a fish fragrant sauce (soy, black vinegar, ginger, some allium), some variety of balsamic reduction, whatever.

But really unless you're trying to get hired or laid out of using them as an app I'd just blister, salt, done. I like them as a side with something like bbq or burgers, along with something with a light, clean flavour like sweet corn on the cob.

Yeah, I've been eating piles blistered with just salt and a tiny splash of soy. Just looking for other things at this point cuz I still have another pound of em.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Interesting that it's a blanched egg. When I've had it in fancy restaurants where they make it at the table, I always thought that the eggs were raw. And gently caress authenticity, I love me some muddled stinky fish.
A briefly blanched egg looks more or less raw unless you're examining the inside of the discarded shell or something. It's entirely possible that they were used in the original version of the dressing out of concern for the safety of raw eggs back then---blanching won't render the interior safe but it will eliminate the risk of salmonella from surface contamination (which is where most of the risk in raw eggs is).

But yeah, the original version of the Caesar salad was a lot richer and less tangy than what most people associate with the dish today. Child comments that at the time fresh salad itself was faintly exotic, refrigerated transportation and year-round fresh produce still being decades in the future. The Caesar salad was a dish that exuded an air of luxury, which is something that even `fancy' versions of the modern salad can't really manage.

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah, I've been eating piles blistered with just salt and a tiny splash of soy. Just looking for other things at this point cuz I still have another pound of em.
You can pickle them. Pickled shishitos work pretty well as a sandwich pepper.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey, SubG, is there an interesting reason why the Brits call arugula "rocket"? The only context I have for that word is "tube of fuel with a nozzle at one end".

We don't call arugula "rocket".

You call rocket "arugula".

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 29, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey, SubG, is there an interesting reason why the Brits call arugula "rocket"?

wikipedia posted:

The English common name, rocket, derives from the French roquette, a diminutive of the Latin word eruca, which designated an unspecified plant in the Brassicaceae family (probably a type of cabbage).[6] Arugula (/əˈruːɡələ/), the common name now widespread in the United States and Canada, entered American English from non-standard (dialect) Italian. (The standard Italian word is rucola, a diminutive of the Latin "eruca").

So, no.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How well do asian-style dumplings reheat in a work environment (microwave only)? I was thinking about making a batch of dumplings this weekend in my giant tamale steamer, but I want to figure out if I'll eat them for lunches next week or just freeze them and cook them for dinners.

Also, what's the preferred method of preventing sticking? Parchment paper/cabbage/other?

Also, any favorite veggie dumpling recipe? Base plan is crumbled tofu, cabbage, ginger, garlic, seasonings, green onions. Probably some of the huy fong chili garlic. I want to try the korean dumpling shape that's like giant tortellinis, not sure what it's called.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Casu Marzu posted:

Out of context this is both hilarious and revolting.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Here's my caesar recipe. Not traditional in the prep or really the ingredients, but tastes like what one expects caesar to taste like these days. Pretty drat good. Dump it all in the cup for your stick blender then emulsify the poo poo out of it. Best to make it up an hour ahead of time so the flavors can come together and you can adjust seasoning if need be.

1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 egg
1/4 cup grated parm
1 tbsp anchovy paste
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
Couple/few dashes of L&P
salt

yesss i'm stealing this

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eeyo posted:

How well do asian-style dumplings reheat in a work environment (microwave only)? I was thinking about making a batch of dumplings this weekend in my giant tamale steamer, but I want to figure out if I'll eat them for lunches next week or just freeze them and cook them for dinners.

Also, what's the preferred method of preventing sticking? Parchment paper/cabbage/other?

They're edible but you're never gonna get that nice texture when reheating. I do it sometimes with fried dumplings where you don't really need to worry about the skins sticking or tearing when reheating. I usually just chuck em in the microwave with a tiny splash of water for a minute or two.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

They're edible but you're never gonna get that nice texture when reheating. I do it sometimes with fried dumplings where you don't really need to worry about the skins sticking or tearing when reheating. I usually just chuck em in the microwave with a tiny splash of water for a minute or two.

After doing a bit more research, it sounds like it's best to freeze uncooked dumplings. So I probably won't make those for work! But then I can have a big bag of dumplings for dinner, which isn't a bad thing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eeyo posted:

After doing a bit more research, it sounds like it's best to freeze uncooked dumplings. So I probably won't make those for work! But then I can have a big bag of dumplings for dinner, which isn't a bad thing.

Yeah, my wife and I have planned for things that way, just with the thought of potstickers instead of dumplings. Know you're not going to have time to cook dinner over the next year? Spend a day having everyone make a poo poo load of potstickers and freeze them, then use as needed during the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

You can make a DIY microwave steamer out of two delitainers of different sizes---e.g. the 16oz and 32oz delitainers, which have the same size mouth but different depths. So put a little water in the bottom of the 32oz delitainer and that's yout steamer. Poke a couple holes in the bottom of the 16oz delitainer and one of the lids, and there's your steamer basket. Dumplings go in steamer basket, steamer basket goes in steamer, steamer goes in microwave.

I mean they're still going to come out worse then fresh or doing them in a proper steamer, but hey you got to play MacGyver with a couple delitainers.