Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Young Freud posted:

True, but even Pris was dangerous. Her background working in military clubs supposedly equaled to her having some sort of combat ability, which is why she initially kicked Deckard's rear end. And, even in the short, the slim and tiny hookeroid picks up and throws out a 300-400 pound trucker onto the street from a moving vehicle and then tears through a car loads of armed security guards.
You could tell that Pris wasn't actually very good at it, though. Less flipping and she could have easily killed Deckard but it felt like violence wasn't terribly natural for her.

atrus50 posted:

most important poart of anime
LOL I thought he sounded pretty spot on. I wonder if he made up that Cityspeak phrase himself :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Reviews are coming in. Has anyone spoiled the issue of Deckard's status as a human or replicant yet?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeesh, that anime was 100% unengaging. I enjoyed the first two shorts, but this lacked focus.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Reviews are coming in. Has anyone spoiled the issue of Deckard's status as a human or replicant yet?

Ridley Scott had said Deckard was a replicant.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

david_a posted:

You could tell that Pris wasn't actually very good at it, though. Less flipping and she could have easily killed Deckard but it felt like violence wasn't terribly natural for her.

And that was only because Hannah suggested it. Originally she was just going to knock him down and then try to force his hand into an exposed motor.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Young Freud posted:

Another point, why even disable the lifespan limit? The original movie even states the four-year lifespan is to prevent them from forming their own emotions that eventually causes them to question themselves and go rogue.
Capitalism 101.

"Tyrell Corp, I understand your reasoning for the lifespan limit. However, the cost of buying new replicants every four years risks my bonu--I mean, is prohibitively expensive! We're buying armies to fight offworld wars, for chrissakes! Either lower your price or increase their lifespan!"

I thought it odd that so many have said they dislike this short. I felt it was better than the other two, captured the spirit of the original movie perfectly, and was easy to follow. I could watch and entire movie of this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cheesus posted:

I thought it odd that so many have said they dislike this short. I felt it was better than the other two, captured the spirit of the original movie perfectly, and was easy to follow. I could watch and entire movie of this.
A lot of it seemed like a remix of the movie. I don't know if they just thought it was fun to animate a bunch of stuff as a tribute or because they always wanted to or what, but it seemed like they made a checklist of stuff to cover. Towers with fireballs, flying spinners, innocent pleasure model forced into violence, dying female replicant crashing into glass, caged dancing girls, Gaff, etc.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It looked pretty as all hell. That shot of the buildings lined up the as the truck trundles into view, for example.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the anime short was rad but super derivative of the first film. Also felt a lot like the Second Renaissance shorts from Animatrix in that it's way more interested in giving background exposition than telling a story. Pretty, though, and cool. But the fact that it didn't even have original music was disappointing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Was that Adele on the credits of the anime short?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Was that Adele on the credits of the anime short?

I thought that too, but it's a soundalike. I forget the name but it's towards the end of the credits.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, the anime short was rad but super derivative of the first film. Also felt a lot like the Second Renaissance shorts from Animatrix in that it's way more interested in giving background exposition than telling a story. Pretty, though, and cool. But the fact that it didn't even have original music was disappointing.

It was scored by Flying Lotus?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Apparently David Bowie was Villeneuve's first choice to play Leto's character.

Add another to the "wish I lived in that universe" movie list.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
lol @ the Extremely Anime dialogue bit where that one kid is like "I get it. Humans are stupid, selfish liars but replicants are different!"

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

lol @ the Extremely Anime dialogue bit where that one kid is like "I get it. Humans are stupid, selfish liars but replicants are different!"
I stopped watching at that point.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
As is usual with anime, that clip made no loving sense

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
lol if you can't understand the anime how in the hell are you going to understand the actual film?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The story was simple and had excessively clear exposition?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I kind of wish they just didn't waste time creating all this other ancillary media to Blade Runner 2049 because none of it is very good. And I generally liked the Prometheus shorts.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if zimmer is done with the score

I'll be very disappointed if it's just normal bwaaah poo poo

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Review embargo was moved up to this Friday. I hope this means that the studio is confident in the product.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cheesus posted:

Capitalism 101.

"Tyrell Corp, I understand your reasoning for the lifespan limit. However, the cost of buying new replicants every four years risks my bonu--I mean, is prohibitively expensive! We're buying armies to fight offworld wars, for chrissakes! Either lower your price or increase their lifespan!"

Like planned obsolescence isn't a tenet of modern late-stage capitalism.

And if they got a particularly exceptional example, Tyrell would just clone the hell out of them and use implanted memories in Roy Batty 2.0 and future iteration.

Speaking of which, I found it an unique absence that Blackout 2022 didn't have a Nexus 7.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Young Freud posted:

Like planned obsolescence isn't a tenet of modern late-stage capitalism.
By removing the lifespan limits, the Tyrell Corporation was able to change to a subscription model. The buyers felt better about paying a flat, fixed fee every month (and never having to recall and deploy) and the Tyrell Corporation made slightly more on the ongoing renewals than they did from new model repurchases every four years.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Since nothing happens to Batty's body when he times out at the end of BR, they probably just "recycle" him by reflashing his brain or something.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

hyphz posted:

Since nothing happens to Batty's body when he times out at the end of BR, they probably just "recycle" him by reflashing his brain or something.
It's not really clear to me that something like that would be possible, as the replicants seem to be mainly, if not wholly, organic/biological. I don't think that these are robots in the way that we're accustomed to thinking about them, and I wouldn't be surprised if the replicants run off of biological brains that are somehow hard coded, as opposed to something like a computer.

At least that's how I've thought of them since I first saw the original movie. And I think that that would be thematically appropriate given that the film's initial ambiguity surrounding their humanity is effectively resolved by Batty's dying actions and speech.

Edit: like, the whole debate about is Deckard a replicant or not is a fun one to have (assuming that you're talking about a version of the film without the unicorn dream, which seems pretty conclusive). But that debate is really missing the point that, from a moral perspective, there's no difference between a human and a replicant.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 28, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That would match with the conversation Batty and Tyrell have. The technobabble is actually fairly accurate for what they're talking about. The replicants are precisely engineered robots but are "grown" rather than "built." Scott says as much on various commentary tracks.

When they talk about extending their lives the conversation is about preventing the degeneritive ecfects of their cells dying off suddenly (compared to a human) and how this group of Nexus 6es are so delicately designed that even a small modification might extend life for a bit but result in weird degenerative side effects that would be as bad/worse than just coming to a full stop. There's no memory transfer or anything like that, each one is a unique being, which is kind of the point of the story.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 28, 2017

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Hmm. In DADoES the replicants/androids died after 4 years because they were organic and their cells could not be regenerated from natural decay. But I thought the film made clear that the limit was artificial in that version.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

hyphz posted:

Hmm. In DADoES the replicants/androids died after 4 years because they were organic and their cells could not be regenerated from natural decay. But I thought the film made clear that the limit was artificial in that version.

Even if it didn't, breakthroughs in medical engineering happen all the time. We've had dozens of promising studies that could change our lives forever come out in the past two or three years alone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hyphz posted:

In the movie Bryant tells Deckard that Tyrell "installed a failproof device" in the form of a four-year lifespan, which does make it seem artificial. However in the now apocryphal voice-over narration, Deckard says that Rachel didn't have a termination date so they could live happily ever, which would indicate it was maybe a bluff? Doesn't matter now though since the original cut has been relegated to the trash bin of history.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

exquisite tea posted:

In the movie Bryant tells Deckard that Tyrell "installed a failproof device" in the form of a four-year lifespan, which does make it seem artificial. However in the now apocryphal voice-over narration, Deckard says that Rachel didn't have a termination date so they could live happily ever, which would indicate it was maybe a bluff? Doesn't matter now though since the original cut has been relegated to the trash bin of history.

I figured that since she was Tyrell's personal replicant, he just left out the failsafe for her.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

That would match with the conversation Batty and Tyrell have. The technobabble is actually fairly accurate for what they're talking about. The replicants are precisely engineered robots but are "grown" rather than "built." Scott says as much on various commentary tracks.

DADES and the original Fancher script stated them as "androids". Both "replicants" and that whole Tyrell-Batty dialogue came from David Webb Peoples and his daughter, who was a UCLA biochemistry undergrad. I believe replicant came from her discussing cell division and referring to the result of the process as replicant.

Neo Rasa posted:

When they talk about extending their lives the conversation is about preventing the degeneritive ecfects of their cells dying off suddenly (compared to a human) and how this group of Nexus 6es are so delicately designed that even a small modification might extend life for a bit but result in weird degenerative side effects that would be as bad/worse than just coming to a full stop. There's no memory transfer or anything like that, each one is a unique being, which is kind of the point of the story.

Memory implants are a thing in Blade Runner. Rachel has implanted memories from Tyrell's niece. While it's not conscious transfer in transhuman fiction, it would give the resemblance of a continuity of memory to an external observer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

DADES and the original Fancher script stated them as "androids". Both "replicants" and that whole Tyrell-Batty dialogue came from David Webb Peoples and his daughter, who was a UCLA biochemistry undergrad. I believe replicant came from her discussing cell division and referring to the result of the process as replicant.

Yeah but nothing about the terms "android," "robot," etc. strictly means "built with copper wiring and circuit boards." The book itself goes with that too. The only 100% way to know if someone is an android in the book is to take a sample of their bone marrow and have a test run on it in a lab.

There's a huge gap between memory implants and what some people in the thread are suggesting that one's entire collective thought can be copy/pasted 1:1 into a new body just vecause that would change the instant the new person starts perceiving anything. I'd say that Rachel's situation is pretty different from that. I got the impression that a lot of impactful things from early childhood were placed in her and the rest was her mind filling in the gaps based on that (just since the replicants in the movie enter the world as adults).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah but nothing about the terms "android," "robot," etc. strictly means "built with copper wiring and circuit boards." The book itself goes with that too. The only 100% way to know if someone is an android in the book is to take a sample of their bone marrow and have a test run on it in a lab.

There's a huge gap between memory implants and what some people in the thread are suggesting that one's entire collective thought can be copy/pasted 1:1 into a new body just vecause that would change the instant the new person starts perceiving anything. I'd say that Rachel's situation is pretty different from that. I got the impression that a lot of impactful things from early childhood were placed in her and the rest was her mind filling in the gaps based on that (just since the replicants in the movie enter the world as adults).

I'm not sure if we can bring up apocryphal material, but there was a plotline that was deleted in BR, but you can still find bits in the Syd Mead book or the Final Cut extras that Eldon Tyrell was long dead, stuffed in a cryogenic sarcophagus over a pool of liquid nitrogen, and a replicant or replicants of him, presumably with memory implants, was running things while he awaited for "him" or his scientists to unlock immortality for him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wouldn't because I prefer it to be vague forcing us to ask if androids dream of...

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 29, 2017

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Welp just read a review this morning that drops a pretty big spoiler right at the outset. If that sort of thing bothers you, you may want to avoid.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Milky Moor posted:

I thought that was meant to be ironic, that the dude fell in love with his sex bot and is getting played. Japanese men turning to unhealthy artificial relationships has been a part of the country's dialogue for a while.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Danger posted:

Welp just read a review this morning that drops a pretty big spoiler right at the outset. If that sort of thing bothers you, you may want to avoid.

Which review?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've read a handful of reviews and the closest thing I've seen to a spoiler basically just seemed like the premise. Gosling's character is a replicant. Apparently to get in to review screenings people had to sign heftier-than-usual NDAs restricting what they could cover.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Which review?

Not sure if this was the same one, but avoid the review posted on Vulture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

sean10mm posted:

Which review?

Guardian has some pretty big spoilers beyond the obvious one I've seen elsewhere.

• Locked thread