Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah that could do with being tweaked for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
here's my issue

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You using a Samsung S7 or something like that? Seems like a bunch of people are having similar issues with weird colours (not exactly the same though)

I just get the bright version of that, blue on white. Which isn't ideal in a dark theme (just looks like it's inheriting from a standard Light theme) but yeah, it shouldn't be faded. Honestly it looks like your menu is visually in the background, like when a dialog pops up and the background window gets shaded. Have you tried another keyboard?

Actually just give us yr specs and I'll see if I can dig something up - device, Android version, what keyboard you're using, Awful version, that kind of thing

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Samsung galaxy s6 edge +. Standard Samsung keyboard. Details below (please let me know if i need to block/unblock any additional info also):

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 27, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yobgoblin posted:

here's my issue

Nowadays everybody want to talk like they got something to say but nothing comes out they move their lips just a bunch of gibberish, don't give a gently caress about that if the are see Dre.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The only Awful issue that I find on occasion is when someone posts a code block and I try to scroll past it, if I touch it with my finger it will pull me back to the forum, and out of the thread.
For example:

code:

Testing
Testing
Testing
Testing
Testing
Testing
Testing

When I pull up on this code block with my finger, it pulls me out of the thread.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
This post breaks the app, it just says "Loading failed"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&pagenumber=422&perpage=40#post476599104

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Peachfart posted:

The only Awful issue that I find on occasion is when someone posts a code block and I try to scroll past it, if I touch it with my finger it will pull me back to the forum, and out of the thread.
For example:

code:

Testing
Testing
Testing
Testing
Testing
Testing
Testing

When I pull up on this code block with my finger, it pulls me out of the thread.

yeah I mentioned that a few weeks ago and he was just like "yeah that's been happening for a while, weird right?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Being an idiot, I tried it. However, it worked fine for me. I've never been to that thread before and I don't know if that would matter but maybe it's helpful info for the code wizards so I'm posting it

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

Being an idiot, I tried it. However, it worked fine for me. I've never been to that thread before and I don't know if that would matter but maybe it's helpful info for the code wizards so I'm posting it

Same, no problem

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Samesu

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Is there a setting to require confirmation before sending a pm or anything like the confirm post dialogue?

Because I am an idiot and my brain always sees the pm someone's written to me( the write a reply portion is off screen) and thinks the send pm button means compose. So I keep sending empty pms to people. And I don't write enough pms to actually get used to it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yobgoblin posted:

Samsung galaxy s6 edge +. Standard Samsung keyboard. Details below (please let me know if i need to block/unblock any additional info also):

Are you getting this in other apps too? And are you using any kind of phone or keyboard theme?

I'm looking into it but honestly I think this'll be something to do with your phone, so many Samsung owners complaining that a recent update has affected that popup. Was it fine a few months ago?

Felime posted:

Is there a setting to require confirmation before sending a pm or anything like the confirm post dialogue?

Because I am an idiot and my brain always sees the pm someone's written to me( the write a reply portion is off screen) and thinks the send pm button means compose. So I keep sending empty pms to people. And I don't write enough pms to actually get used to it.

Uh there is not but there probably should be! I'll add it as an issue

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

baka kaba posted:

Are you getting this in other apps too? And are you using any kind of phone or keyboard theme?

I'm looking into it but honestly I think this'll be something to do with your phone, so many Samsung owners complaining that a recent update has affected that popup. Was it fine a few months ago?

I have not tried the dark theme until recently but I have encountered the problem just as I was using the theme during the day fairly recently (Less than 2 weeks ago is when I started using dark theme). I'll poke around in my keyboard settings and get back to you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Nah I mean Samsung has phone themes you can download, right? And keyboards can have colour themes too. I'm just wondering if you're using something like that and it's tinting the spellcheck popup thing

I'm not sure if apps can even influence how that looks, I'll see if I can find anything out though 🤔

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Uh there is not but there probably should be! I'll add it as an issue

Thanks! And Thank you for the great App! It's otherwise amazing and I use it extensively.

The change in workflow from compose to send to opening the PM automatically starting the compose step just breaks my feeble brain.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

baka kaba posted:

Nah I mean Samsung has phone themes you can download, right? And keyboards can have colour themes too. I'm just wondering if you're using something like that and it's tinting the spellcheck popup thing

I'm not sure if apps can even influence how that looks, I'll see if I can find anything out though 🤔

I am not using any keyboard themes. I'm using the default samsung keyboard as is (bad update but still vanilla).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Felime posted:

Thanks! And Thank you for the great App! It's otherwise amazing and I use it extensively.

The change in workflow from compose to send to opening the PM automatically starting the compose step just breaks my feeble brain.

I think it's just always been like that, it would be nice to redo it a little so it's basically a message view and you can click to open a reply bit if you want. There's a few bits floating around that could get added (like an icon picker), it's just finding the time to mess with it all

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yobgoblin posted:

I am not using any keyboard themes. I'm using the default samsung keyboard as is (bad update but still vanilla).

Does it happen on the other Awful themes? Default, OLED and a YOSPOS pics would be useful if they look any different

Yobgoblin posted:

here's my issue

Anyone else getting this on a Samsung? You need to misspell a word, tap on it when it's underlined as an error, and then you get the suggestions

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

baka kaba posted:

Does it happen on the other Awful themes? Default, OLED and a YOSPOS pics would be useful if they look any different

Anyone else getting this on a Samsung? You need to misspell a word, tap on it when it's underlined as an error, and then you get the suggestions
Sorry for the delay. Was out and about.

From what I've noticed, every one of the themes take the spellcheck text's color from the menu bar (is that it's name idk I'm not a whizz okay) above. It would probably be easier to just set the default color for that to be the color white. Or is it something wrong just on my end? LMK so I know if I'm an idiot or not here.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use mine on dark and the spellcheck box is white like the first column in that image for what that's worth

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

A pleasant surprise: I broke my phone trying to update it, ended up having to wipe my internal storage and reinstall android. On re setting it up, Google helpfully offered to reinstall my apps and apparently whatever backup thing they do included my cookies for Awful, so I didn't have to login again. Thanks, Google!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
they are reading ur PMs and trolling ur poo poo posts

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

taiyoko posted:

A pleasant surprise: I broke my phone trying to update it, ended up having to wipe my internal storage and reinstall android. On re setting it up, Google helpfully offered to reinstall my apps and apparently whatever backup thing they do included my cookies for Awful, so I didn't have to login again. Thanks, Google!

Just wanted to say I appreciated this as well, although it would be interesting to hear how it works on a technical level.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yobgoblin posted:

Sorry for the delay. Was out and about.

From what I've noticed, every one of the themes take the spellcheck text's color from the menu bar (is that it's name idk I'm not a whizz okay) above. It would probably be easier to just set the default color for that to be the color white. Or is it something wrong just on my end? LMK so I know if I'm an idiot or not here.

Comprehensive, thanks!

I think you're right about where the text colour is coming from - basically an Android app theme has a few important colours, Primary, PrimaryDark and Accent. Primary is used for the toolbar among other things, PrimaryDark is a darker (!) tone that gets used in the status bar. You can base the theme on either a Light or Dark version, which basically influences the look of things like popups (light on dark instead of vice versa)

It looks like that popup is pulling its text colour from PrimaryDark too, using an eyedropper on your original pic. I'm looking through the themes and I can't see anywhere else that colour is set, it's not overriding anything else.

I've tested it on a few devices/emulators and it's all over the place - stock Marshmallow uses a light theme (blue on white) even in a dark theme, Oreo uses black on white in Light themes, and white on grey in Dark themes. Seems to be decided by the system. For whatever reason, it looks like your device has decided to go with the same grey value for the background, but PrimaryDark for the text colour. Which is, uh, pretty dumb, that's almost guaranteed to be dark on dark

So yeah, I'm not sure we can even do anything to control it, sorry! With all the similar complaints I'm assuming Samsung or Verizon or whoever messed up their theming and it's pulling from that status bar colour, hopefully they'll fix it soon. I'd use a light theme in the meantime

Internet Explorer posted:

Just wanted to say I appreciated this as well, although it would be interesting to hear how it works on a technical level.

Google's backup saves apps' SharedPreferences files, which are often used as a light data store as well as actual settings. We stick the cookies in there

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

baka kaba posted:

Comprehensive, thanks!

I think you're right about where the text colour is coming from - basically an Android app theme has a few important colours, Primary, PrimaryDark and Accent. Primary is used for the toolbar among other things, PrimaryDark is a darker (!) tone that gets used in the status bar. You can base the theme on either a Light or Dark version, which basically influences the look of things like popups (light on dark instead of vice versa)

It looks like that popup is pulling its text colour from PrimaryDark too, using an eyedropper on your original pic. I'm looking through the themes and I can't see anywhere else that colour is set, it's not overriding anything else.

I've tested it on a few devices/emulators and it's all over the place - stock Marshmallow uses a light theme (blue on white) even in a dark theme, Oreo uses black on white in Light themes, and white on grey in Dark themes. Seems to be decided by the system. For whatever reason, it looks like your device has decided to go with the same grey value for the background, but PrimaryDark for the text colour. Which is, uh, pretty dumb, that's almost guaranteed to be dark on dark

So yeah, I'm not sure we can even do anything to control it, sorry! With all the similar complaints I'm assuming Samsung or Verizon or whoever messed up their theming and it's pulling from that status bar colour, hopefully they'll fix it soon. I'd use a light theme in the meantime

Thanks for the input. You think it's possible to find a way to change the text color manually with a different keyboard or some how poking around in the vanilla sansung keyboard's settings? I'm at a loss here but I think I can manage a way around waiting for more bad updates from samsung. Forgive me for sounding dumb-founded. I just woke up from 9 hours of sleep.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Google's backup saves apps' SharedPreferences files, which are often used as a light data store as well as actual settings. We stick the cookies in there

Cool! Something to learn about, thank you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yobgoblin posted:

Thanks for the input. You think it's possible to find a way to change the text color manually with a different keyboard or some how poking around in the vanilla sansung keyboard's settings? I'm at a loss here but I think I can manage a way around waiting for more bad updates from samsung. Forgive me for sounding dumb-founded. I just woke up from 9 hours of sleep.

I dunno to be honest, probably the easiest way to check is to download Google's keyboard and see if it looks any different. But a lot of the reports I looked at said the keyboard didn't change things for them.

I get the feeling it's a system-wide thing that only really causes a problem when an app uses a Dark theme (forcing the grey background) which most apps probably don't. Like I said the behaviour is different between stock versions of Android anyway :frogbon:

Internet Explorer posted:

Cool! Something to learn about, thank you.

The terrible truth is here if you're interested. I don't think we changed anything, it's a rare example of things Just Working :eyepop:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Awful.app: We stick the cookies in there

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

baka kaba posted:

I dunno to be honest, probably the easiest way to check is to download Google's keyboard and see if it looks any different. But a lot of the reports I looked at said the keyboard didn't change things for them.

I get the feeling it's a system-wide thing that only really causes a problem when an app uses a Dark theme (forcing the grey background) which most apps probably don't. Like I said the behaviour is different between stock versions of Android anyway :frogbon:

I gave the Google keyboard a try and determined that it isn't for me, so instead I switched to auto-replace and bit the bullet on the spellcheck text issue. I think I can wait for a future update to fix this problem. Glad I could be of some assistance though, thank you.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Can you turn off the notification about announcements? It's annoying.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Midjack posted:

Awful.app: We stick the cookies in there

Nah the .app doesn’t do poo poo with the cookies.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ wow, just wow

We Know Catheters posted:

Can you turn off the notification about announcements? It's annoying.

I know Lowtax has been using them for uh... creative purposes lately, but sometimes they're important - like "the forums will be down" or "oh poo poo change your passwords" or at some point "we're moving to the new software! [and all the apps will be broken goondolences]"

It's a trade-off between making sure you don't miss something important, and not constantly reminding you by putting them at the top of every forum or something. If you open it it should shut up until there's a new one

I mean maybe there can be an opt-out if enough people hate it (maybe) but is it that bad? It only takes a moment to occasionally click and go 'oh whatever' or 'oh poo poo'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As the person who originally asked for the feature I obviously will vote to keep it and tbh I'm not sure how a 3 second notification at the bottom of the screen once every so often is so horrible that people are asking for it to be removed it's incredibly unobtrusive as it is

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I've never read one that was useful. You don't get notified about announcements when visiting the forums in a browser. Why can't it be an option, in the settings, if you want to get notifications?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

No, go away (like the announcements snackbar does after 3 seconds)

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Can you pick icons for pm? I do not see them. Maybe an option would be nice. The read/unread/replied could be shrunken to a corner. Also idk how much trouble and work this would be. Just a thought.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The announcement snackbar is fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The announcement snackbar is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sereri posted:

No, go away (like the announcements snackbar does after 3 seconds)

Or if you view it once. Seriously, what a non-issue, unlike adding more 🐸