Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/910149353989398529

Looks like Liberal Joe is at it again, erasing this storied plaque that was erected in 1989.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

89 or 59? Kinda looks like 59 to me

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh well, never mind then.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

skipdogg posted:

89 or 59? Kinda looks like 59 to me

In that case it's only 100 years after the Confederacy ended so it's fine

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Your monthly "gently caress Blake Farenthold" reminder.

House Republican vows to boycott University of Texas until Confederate monuments are reinstalled

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
loving bloated mockery of a man.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lol, what does he think his boycott will accomplish? It's the University of Texas, one alum boycotting them is nothing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We all remember the Playboy pajama photos you walking turnip.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Spacebump posted:

Lol, what does he think his boycott will accomplish? It's the University of Texas, one alum boycotting them is nothing.

What will this multi billion dollar endowed school that owns thousands of acres of gas producing land and the most profitable college football team in America do?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Getting acquainted with my top county elected official: Denton County Judge Mary Horn!

She has been county judge for 15 years. Her husband, Jim Horn, was a state rep. Her daughter is a conservative political operator in Austin. Her son is paratrooper who used to command one of the battalions we would drop into Estonia to get chopped to bits in case Russia invaded; he now teaches military science at the University of Houston.

To her credit, she was one of the state officials who came out hard against the bathroom bill. A couple of complications, though.

First, she recently limited the number of public comment speakers at the county Commissioners Court after people started showing up to speak about the Confederate monument in town. It was taking too long, she said. "Sitting here listening to an hour or two of public comment is not listed in [staff's] job duties." There is now a limit of five speakers at the beginning, with the rest to follow at the end of the meeting. A similar thing happened in Fort Worth this week when people began appearing at City Council meetings after a white cop pulled a gun on a black woman and shoved her to the ground over a litter complaint.

Then there was the disaster that was Denton County's elections last year.

quote:

The book on Denton County's November election fiasco can now be closed after a three-page letter arrived from the Texas secretary of state. The Watchdog and County Judge Mary Horn's constituents had begged her to let an outside party look into the problem. She eventually came around.

The SoS confirmed the many problems with ballots, machines, counting, voter assistance, incorrect signage and, well, what's left?

The cause was "insufficient staffing" in the elections office. Case closed.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2017/05/26/roofer-arrested-incognito-congressman-puts-sign-watchdog-sequels
One more thing stood out to me. There is a major expansion of I-35 going through the county at the moment. So the state is buying up land along the frontage to make way.

Five years ago:

quote:

On the north side of Lewisville Lake, Denton County Judge Mary Horn and her husband sold about an acre for almost $1 million last year. Its appraised value was $74,242.

Horn denies any conflict of interest, saying the sale price was much higher than the appraised value because the property was zoned commercial, fronted the highway and had access to the lake.

“I don’t think I’ve been treated any different than anyone else,” Horn said, pointing out that TxDOT paid more than $1 million to nearby Hickory Creek Retail for just over a half acre of land.

TxDOT officials emphasize that market value differs from appraised value, and that the price paid for each parcel depends on location, zoning and other factors.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/tra...perties-for-now
It'd odd because two Dallas developers had also bought land at Hickory Creek, and with a co-conspirator within TxDOT, flipped the land to the state at inflated prices "after lying about bogus development plans which they claimed would be ruined by the planned highway expansion. Land under development qualifies for higher compensation." One of the men was just sentenced to prison: one year and $1 million in restitution. (Him and his buddies made $13 million.)

Well, anyways, Horn's arch-nemesis in the county appears to be Commissioner Hugh Coleman, also a Republican. Horn "worked overtime to support Brett Larsen, Coleman's opponent in last spring's [2016] GOP primary. Coleman easily defeated Larsen, who was in the pocket of real estate developers," the local paper reported.

That's Coleman on the right. On the left is Denton County Sheriff Tracy Murphree.

Murphree, on the plus side, primaried the (incompetent) previous sheriff, William B. Travis, who is not related to the historic William B. Travis who died at the Alamo. However, Sheriff Travis noted a historic relation in his campaign literature and was known to speak at events at the Alamo to Chinese tourists and so on, who were quite impressed by his display. The major downside about Murphree, though, is that he's a fascist who has threatened to beat up transgender people in bathrooms while complaining that America is too "politically correct" about Islam. He's kept his mouth shut lately.

Oh, I'm getting distracted.

Well, recently Coleman opened up on Facebook about a certain someone who profited off corrupt I-35 land deals ... and Horn jumped into the comment section haha

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 20, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What applies to Dallas also applies to Denton, I think.

For those of you who are depressed by the thought of a Dallas-dominated Texas, take heart. It is possible to come to love Dallas. Or at least be mildly fond of it. The least-known fact about Dallas is that it's wildly funny. No one in Dallas has ever noticed this, but it's true. What a cast of characters! Bunkie Hunt, Ross Perot, Eddie Chiles, Mary Kay Ash, the Rev W.A. Criswell -- you couldn't make up people that improbable if you tried. You understand that in Dallas all these people are considered normal. Dallas believes it has no eccentrics.

-- Molly Ivins, 'Hello From Boosterville.' Texas Observer. May 29, 1987

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

UT handled the monuments just about exactly correctly, you jerk. :mad:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I guess this is why she needs all those per diems.

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/910688039864692736

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol she's so loving corrupt

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Dallas_Observer/status/911063769857617921

Need a "Yes Haha Yes!" image but with Dwayne Caraway.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 22, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/911199837823127552

I assume the "proper behavior" the kids are going to learn is " be white".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/911199837823127552

I assume the "proper behavior" the kids are going to learn is " be white".

I'd love to see the police meltdown if the class hammered home the proper advice of "do not answer any questions beyond giving your ID. Never, ever, ever consent to a search under any circumstances."

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I'd love to see the police meltdown if the class hammered home the proper advice of "do not answer any questions beyond giving your ID. Never, ever, ever consent to a search under any circumstances."

Yeah I can't see this going in any way that doesn't end up having the students lied to about their rights.

Edit: typos

Dameius fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 23, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

We had a criminal justice class at my high school 20 years ago taught by a former Texas Ranger and he told us that sort of stuff. Different time though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

It ain't gonna be that though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/911592079826018305

Savage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jeers to the 5th Circuit!

https://twitter.com/PhilJankowski/status/912385635469676550

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

In case you thought our senators were ever capable of decency

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/912461490908794881

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
otoh gently caress the NFL regardless. pro-sports are getting wrecked on ratings and it started before Kaep ever kneeled.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Your monthly "gently caress Louie Gohmert" reminder

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/912428750691848193

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/texastribune/status/913501553071452160

Tribune seems to be in a snit because Beto said swears.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol drat Belo is offering Amazon the DMN"s newsroom to use as their new HQ

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/913775889934032896
I heard some poo poo on KUT about how Austin officials are trying hard to lure Amazon here and I'm like, please gently caress no

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How's Houston doing a month out since Harvey?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I heard some poo poo on KUT about how Austin officials are trying hard to lure Amazon here and I'm like, please gently caress no

For a city who's citizenry has generally been opposed to growth for at least 25 years, holy poo poo what the gently caress Austin why are we still trying to draw in massive employers and sponsor big cultural/tourist events. We desperately need an anti-chamber-of-commerce to make sure nothing else moves here.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Dallas is a perfectly good average city. The worst part of Dallas is the people that try to compare it favorably to New York, LA, or Chicago. Or the Houston v Dallas slap fight.

Just look how amazing Dallas can be at being good enough but definitely not great:

Dallas's biggest QB was Tony Romo.

Dallas gave the world Chili's in 1979.

Without Dallas, there wouldn't be Texas Instruments, GameStop, Dave & Busters, Fossil Watches, Furitos chips, La Madeline, and Six Flags.

I hope the strongest reaction to that list was "huh" or "that's cool, I guess" or maybe "I didn't know that company is still around." Yes that company is still around because it's Good Enough!

So next time you're in Dallas. Find the nearest giant B and G placed randomly throughout the city. Muster up your biggest ¯\(°_°)/¯ and pose proudly for that picture that will get deleted after the trip or buried in a Facebook album because it's definitely not great enough for Instagram.

The only Dallas company that breaks this mold is Southwest Airlines, and they can :frogout: and have their headquarters someplace cool.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

zoux posted:

Amazon moving in would be the worst, housing and traffic is already a poo poo show and I don't want more high-income people to come in and make it worse.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Alkydere posted:

I know it was a joke post but holy poo poo a statue of two dudes making out made out of melted down guns confiscated by police departments would be the most hilariously rad "Gay Agenda" statue ever.

And put it down infront of the capital building across from the statue of the guy riding the horse.

I feel like Austin could kickstart this and get all the money for it in 24hrs.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 30, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Grouchio posted:

How's Houston doing a month out since Harvey?

We're doing alright, there is still a lot of work that needs to get done and there aren't enough contractors to go around, licensed or otherwise. We still don't know what we're going to do with all the flooded abandon cars though.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

My thinking is that it's a desperate attempt to offload the DMN building to someone else. The Morning News has to be down to a skeleton crew at this point.

Lote posted:

Dallas is a perfectly good average city. The worst part of Dallas is the people that try to compare it favorably to New York, LA, or Chicago. Or the Houston v Dallas slap fight.

[...]

I hope the strongest reaction to that list was "huh" or "that's cool, I guess" or maybe "I didn't know that company is still around." Yes that company is still around because it's Good Enough!
I'd again reference Molly Ivins. People say Dallas has no soul, but it's just as entitled to one as every other place, and Dallas' soul is "Dutch." It's an East Texas town that happened to get really big because it got in the business of getting up early every morning and selling itself. Which doesn't add up to the sexiest group of virtues but it does make for an overall alright place to live. Actually I kinda like it.

Dallas has internationalized a lot recently, but I think it did so later than Houston, and Houston also has a stronger black cultural scene. People moved to Houston from Nigeria and Vietnam and Norway. People moved to Dallas from rural Texas and became slicked-up Gucci rednecks.

Dallas v Houston slap fights are weird. I imagine Dallas people do that, but overall they're in such a bubble... I rarely hear it. Dallas people are obsessed with wanting to be New York or LA though. The city even built its own wannabe Times Square. Dallas is the most insecure city in Texas, though I've heard people say that about Houston. In any case, Dallas will never be New York, because while New Yorkers are neurotic and insecure about a lot of things, they're not insecure about being from New York.

When I go to Houston and people hear I'm from Dallas their reaction is like a Russian spy just walked into the room. :ninja:

I mean maaaan Houston has a hate-boner for Dallas. Which makes sense since Dallas acts like it owns the whole drat state. And the Cowboys, etc.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 30, 2017

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Amazon moving in would be the worst, housing and traffic is already a poo poo show and I don't want more high-income people to come in and make it worse.

Yeah I work in Plano and am in that part of life when it's time to start thinking about buying a house. Toyota moving in is pretty much loving the housing market north of 635 all kinds of up. I really have no clue how we're going to make it happen.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah I work in Plano and am in that part of life when it's time to start thinking about buying a house. Toyota moving in is pretty much loving the housing market north of 635 all kinds of up. I really have no clue how we're going to make it happen.
As far as Collin County is concerned you might have to start looking far north or east like beautiful.... Princeton.

Also Collin is a pretty strange place since the moment you hit the rural areas it gets into dueling banjos territory very fast. But people who live in Plano and Allen never head out there. I went to a Baptist wedding out there a few months ago and the whole town of Westminster showed up. It was basically one big interrelated family. Very nice people.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 30, 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Lote posted:

Just look how amazing Dallas can be at being good enough but definitely not great:

Dallas's biggest QB was Tony Romo.

Donal Trumps wrong gif here.

Three time super bowl champ and hall of fame inductee Troy Aikman.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
And Roger Staubach. Tony Romo? Smdh

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How popular is Alex Jones anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Tony Romo was really good and Dallas didn't deserve him.