Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

I looked up that hot new broadband plan that dems were touting yesterday and just lolol

I figured it wouldn't be as cool & good as, say, calling for free municipal wifi, but I didn't think it'd be as weaksauce as jumping on the trump train.

and yes, it'll be buckets full o' cash for telecoms, according to the white paper:

"given the opportunity to use funds" = here comes dat dnc-convention payday, comcast!

why the gently caress are they even bothering with this better deal poo poo

not only is it all weaksauce garbage that they're trickling out at an absurdly low rate, but they're barely advertising it and almost seem to be going out of their way to keep it hidden

the only thing I can think of is that it's something to keep money flowing to the consultants and think-tanks during an off-year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The Dugin conspiracy is real

wiki posted:

Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics."[2]

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that Russian bots could meaningfully heighten racial tensions in the United States and I just keep lol'ing

https://twitter.com/jfreewright/status/913593947460575232

The American News media is doing the job for Russia.

E:

Significant Ant posted:

The Dugin conspiracy is real

It was always real comrade.

Montasque has issued a correction as of 13:31 on Sep 29, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
are... are the liberals turning on minority activists because being critical of the system means treason?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

The United States is abandoning Puerto Rico to climate disaster, and this is what CNN runs with.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
"Pour money and other resources into already-existing political divisions in your enemy to increase the effects of political instability that's already going on" is Geopolitics 101 poo poo

During WWI, Germany funded Irish uprisings against Britain and sent Lenin back to Russia. That doesn't mean they were the masterminds behind the Russian Revolution or the founders of the IRA - they just poured a bit of money into poo poo that was already going on and would have happened sooner or later even without their help.

I dont doubt Russian involvement for a second, but it's all poo poo that was happening before Russia and would have happened even without Russia, so blaming Russia for it makes no sense except to pretend that everything is fine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

I dont doubt Russian involvement for a second, but it's all poo poo that was happening before Russia and would have happened even without Russia, so blaming Russia for it makes no sense except to pretend that everything is fine

The Blacktivist twitter account has all the efficacy of shaping American opinion as the Erdogan is Peace pogo dancers in New York City.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The United States is abandoning Puerto Rico to climate disaster, and this is what CNN runs with.

victims of capitalism memorial wasn't big enough

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Blacktivist twitter account has all the efficacy of shaping American opinion as the Erdogan is Peace pogo dancers in New York City.

CNN really hitting on that the group had a total of 360K likes, like that's some big grand influencer is hilarious.

The Iron Sheik has a bigger impact on social media than these Russian trolls/bots.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Russia doxxed Sombra. Them ruining everything is confirmed.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

breunigs movin on up

https://twitter.com/PplPolicyProj/status/913549398273126401

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's really cool that Matt's project is getting some traction, instead of just withering away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jane Bruenig 2056

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Kamala Harris is an establishment Trojan Horse

Serf
May 5, 2011

i fully believe that kamala harris is just trying to build some progressive cred by supporting poo poo that she knows will not pass under trump. but this is a sign of the way the wind is blowing

like look at all the republicans who signed all those obamacare repeal bills when they knew obama would just veto them and that they couldn't override him. but then when presented with the opportunity to easily repeal it, they choked. that is the future of the democratic party under a progressive president

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jane Bruenig 2056

The Muad'Dib

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I expect the next independence referendum to pass overwhelmingly now

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Condiv posted:

what about this? except consumers have to sincerely look into their tv's camera and say "I'm with her!". maybe have a dancing hillary appear on screen during will and grace and on Univision programming?

ah my favorite tv show, the one thats just thst picture of the guy in vietnam getting shot in the head on the street

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol there's not a single lie in the tweets they put up

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Gonna be rad as gently caress when Great Depression 2 happens because pr went independent then nullified all their debt

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They would be better off as an American state, both in material terms and to spite President Dotard.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

Gonna be rad as gently caress when Great Depression 2 happens because pr went independent then nullified all their debt

This is me thinking about the United States invading Puerto Rico on behalf of its creditors:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Phone posted:

sir, this is a circuit city

False, circuit city would have SSDs

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Frijolero posted:

What does "have ISPs compete" mean?

We're gonna foot their infrastructure bill and they get to keep charging $60 a month for shoddy internet?

Not saying this is their vision:

If the line is for the local network, then you can decouple the local line fee and the connection to the internet at large fee. You force the local line company to allow other ISPs into the local line.

This sort of model exists in Japan and possibly other places.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

steinrokkan posted:

are... are the liberals turning on minority activists because being critical of the system means treason?

See their treatment of Nina Turner; they already always did this, it might just be moving up from ghosting to actively discrediting them as Russian plants.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Montasque posted:

The Iron Sheik has a bigger impact on social media than these Russian trolls/bots.

Iron ... Sheik? Russia was involved in the Middle East in the 80s, what is he not telling us?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

See their treatment of Nina Turner; they already always did this, it might just be moving up from ghosting to actively discrediting them as Russian plants.

I mentioned in GBS that if Correct the Record was farmed out (at least in part) to Russians, that would blow up the entire liberal narrative

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Condiv posted:

what about this? except consumers have to sincerely look into their tv's camera and say "I'm with her!". maybe have a dancing hillary appear on screen during will and grace and on Univision programming?

Video captchas already do this -- "type in the codephrase shown at the end of this brief video ad to prove you're not a robot!" and the codephrase is, like "ba da ba ba ba, I'm lovin it" or something. Wouldn't be that huge of a leap to see streaming services start doing it too.

Eagerly awaiting AdBlock for set-top boxes

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Serf posted:

i fully believe that kamala harris is just trying to build some progressive cred by supporting poo poo that she knows will not pass under trump. but this is a sign of the way the wind is blowing

like look at all the republicans who signed all those obamacare repeal bills when they knew obama would just veto them and that they couldn't override him. but then when presented with the opportunity to easily repeal it, they choked. that is the future of the democratic party under a progressive president
Only if we let it.

The republicans thought just campaigning against it was good enough without any solid proof or plans
We need proof and plans, P(3) seems to be giving at least a good outline

Serf
May 5, 2011

ThndrShk2k posted:

Only if we let it.

The republicans thought just campaigning against it was good enough without any solid proof or plans
We need proof and plans, P(3) seems to be giving at least a good outline

the people who own the democrats are not interested in letting universal healthcare pass. they can pretend to be onboard with it, but they will not be told to vote for it when it really could pass

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

I always switch to music when they have people that insufferable on.

Same here.

Except that's always so I don't listen to NPR anymore and just listen to music instead

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

loquacius posted:

Video captchas already do this -- "type in the codephrase shown at the end of this brief video ad to prove you're not a robot!" and the codephrase is, like "ba da ba ba ba, I'm lovin it" or something. Wouldn't be that huge of a leap to see streaming services start doing it too.

Eagerly awaiting AdBlock for set-top boxes
Too bad that'll never happen.
Most you're gonna get is people just recording and skipping the ads.
Which some set-tops prevent, and with DRM HDMI it's illegal to bypass due to DMCA

At least it's easy to setup a network wide adblock https://pi-hole.net

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

one of the clearchannel stations in philly just rebranded to being one of those "hits from the past 3 decades, for old people!!" stations except its all hip hop and r&b so it rules

theyre trying real hard to make fetch happen by calling them "throwbacks" and thats just not gonna happen

anyway music is cool

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ThndrShk2k posted:

At least it's easy to setup a network wide adblock https://pi-hole.net

so theoretically

if I have a Win10 box at home, and I run this one curl command in the native Win10 Bash shell

no device connected to my home router will show ads, ever

Do I have that right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

loquacius posted:

so theoretically

if I have a Win10 box at home, and I run this one curl command in the native Win10 Bash shell

no device connected to my home router will show ads, ever

Do I have that right?

gob's program?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
if anyone has ever wanted to run for political office, good news - today I learned the state of kansas has absolutely no requirements in order to run for governor. you don't even have to live in kansas. you just pay $2k to get on the ballot and you're good to go.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i smell a goon project

Serf
May 5, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

if anyone has ever wanted to run for political office, good news - today I learned the state of kansas has absolutely no requirements in order to run for governor. you don't even have to live in kansas. you just pay $2k to get on the ballot and you're good to go.

2k is not "no requirements". that's more money than i have total

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

brb becoming governor of kansas

My plan is to run on a Trump-style "what have you got to lose" ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

2k is not "no requirements". that's more money than i have total

that's the fee to get on the ballot. you can forego it by collecting 5k signatures (requires you to go to kansas) or run as a write-in for free

• Locked thread