Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wouldn't really describe it as very Earthbound like. Even graphically it's not that similar except for the moles. The tone is more harvest Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Which one is that? I golded them all except the last boss

The last boss was the only one I had to go back to after the fact to perfect. I only have the last two challenges and some missing chests to 100% it. The first game in a long rear end time that I will 100%.

Golf story is ruining that plan though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't like the idea of buying a console with two joysticks on the controller, then getting mad when a game comes out that uses twin joysticks to control.

(I assume someone will now post a pic of playing their switch on the bus with a mouse+keyboard plugged into it)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm loving terrible at finishing games. I bought BOTW and MK8D at launch, I'm like 80% through Zelda and have played maybe 20 minutes of MK total. I bought Snake Pass and played through most of the game but that's just because it's so short. Bought Spla2n and played that for a long time but I haven't touched it in a month and change so I'm pretty sure I'm so rusty I'll hate booting it up and being bad again. Bought Mario XCom and stalled at World 2-1 when work got hectic. Now we're on the cusp of Mario64128 and I'm pretty sure that I know how it'll go. That said I'll still buy it.

But assuming I'm in for the long haul at least I'll have a good back-log of games to play when I get bored.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The only thing that bums me out about he switch is how bad social elements are integrated, including inviting friends to play games; sending messages, etc. Not sure their online functionality announcement will fix all of those issues because it's just a total mess but here's hoping

Can you even send messages in any meaningful way through your friends list? Nintendo has been very anti-communication lately because of pedophile panic and the occasional actual pedophile problem (rip swapnote)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Phantasium posted:

Nintendo has heard your repeated cries for VC on Switch and now announces the planned phaseout of the wii shop.

https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/913649489319157761

Switch VC comes out on Feb 1, 2019. So when people ask if their VC from the Wii store will transfer to the switch, Nintendo will say "what Wii store?"

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Cojawfee posted:

Switch VC comes out on Feb 1, 2019. So when people ask if their VC from the Wii store will transfer to the switch, Nintendo will say "what Wii store?"

When you buy Nintendo you buy it for the current system and when you sell your system you better have physical.

Ok, I've bought Golf Story. The hype was too big I could not stop it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Zutaten posted:

Can you even send messages in any meaningful way through your friends list? Nintendo has been very anti-communication lately because of pedophile panic and the occasional actual pedophile problem (rip swapnote)

No and now on FIFA you can't invite friends either. It's not good optics that the best and only supported way to play with friends is to be right next to each other and all have a switch (and a copy of the game).

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Now that I have my mini snes, starfox 3 when

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

REMINDING YOURSELF THAT OVERCONFIDENCE IS A SLOW AND INSIDIOUS KILLER...WOULD BE PERFECT FOR THE SWITCH

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/913778264547528704

:woop: :woop: :woop:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

These "oh btw it's running on a switch" reveals are all Extremely Good.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Which one is that? I golded them all except the last boss

It's the Defeat 9 enemies challenged. It's a 3x3 grid of small-ish square arenas at different levels. The dudes with slabs spawn in 2 at a time, and some hoppers show up too.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

REMINDING YOURSELF THAT OVERCONFIDENCE IS A SLOW AND INSIDIOUS KILLER...WOULD BE PERFECT FOR THE SWITCH

:drat: Now that's something I can get behind. HD Rumble for when your best hunter gets Madness and Kleptomania would be perfect.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i took my switch on the bus so i could play golf story on the go

i very rarely bring my switch out but when i do it's cool and good that i can do that at all, bless nintendo for this very good console

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Good grief, what isn't coming to the Switch at this point? Feels so surreal for a Nintendo console to get this many ports.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Martytoof posted:

But assuming I'm in for the long haul at least I'll have a good back-log of games to play when I get bored.
The Retro thread will be there for you when you finally get around to those games in 15 years.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phantasium posted:

iirc HD rumble uses the same technology found in certain speakers.

Had rumble are actually small speakers. Instead of moving cones they move little weights with linear actuators. The hd rumble is actually fed an audio signal rather than a straight voltage to turn a motor on

That's how I understand it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dr. Fetus posted:

Good grief, what isn't coming to the Switch at this point?

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Had rumble are actually small speakers. Instead of moving cones they move little weights with linear actuators. The hd rumble is actually fed an audio signal rather than a straight voltage to turn a motor on

That's how I understand it

so when can we do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwq2btaPio0

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Good grief, what isn't coming to the Switch at this point? Feels so surreal for a Nintendo console to get this many ports.

DOOM, Wolfenstein2, and Darkest Dungeon are fantastic gets but I'd really really like to see DBFighterZ be the next big drop on it. It might never happen given the engine it runs on but I'd double dip for literally any game Arkane could bring to Switch, even Dishonored 1 + the DLC. Being able to play great games comfortably anywhere owns.

I realize Darkest Dungeon is also on Vita but let's be real, my memory stick for it is almost full and gently caress buying more memory for that thing.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

I'm still hoping for a "WiiU Port Collection" string of releases comprised of Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. TMS absolutely deserves another chance given that it came out in the dying months of WiiU.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I'd really really like to see DBFighterZ be the next big drop on it. It might never happen given the engine it runs on

I seem to recall seeing some quote from someone involved, saying they would consider porting it based on demand? Right now it seems like it'd be a pretty good idea to assume there was a want for it on the Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

well why not posted:

It's the Defeat 9 enemies challenged. It's a 3x3 grid of small-ish square arenas at different levels. The dudes with slabs spawn in 2 at a time, and some hoppers show up too.

Hmm, not sure. I used Mario Luigi and rabbit Mario. I remember killig the enemies on the field too fast where I had to wait. The explosive dash combined with his sirens song and then a hammer blow just murders. Don't remember the exact layout but thing I used itchy feet, exploding dashed as many as I could, used the siren song, dashed and jumped with Mario and Luigi, Mario used M power, Luigi used his drone, and Rabbit Mario used the hammer which had vampire and sucked up all the damage he took from the drone.

Then the next round both overwatch modes in Mario and Luigi did clean up

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

MaxDuo posted:

I seem to recall seeing some quote from someone involved, saying they would consider porting it based on demand? Right now it seems like it'd be a pretty good idea to assume there was a want for it on the Switch.

They were also going to take into account DB Xenoverse 2 sales as well I think.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zutaten posted:

They were also going to take into account DB Xenoverse 2 sales as well I think.

aka the "ratfuck Capcom strategy"

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

DLC Inc posted:

Pulling back to reveal those UGLY gray joycons breaks my heart. Get some of that neon in your life baby

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Nintendo Switch GOTY (the GOAT) Steamworld: Dig 2 has a new icon. Didn't think it was possible to improve the game but there it is

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm trying to remember two games from the GBC era that Golf Story has me thinking about. They were a fishing RPG and a golf RPG. Am I member actual games?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm trying to remember two games from the GBC era that Golf Story has me thinking about. They were a fishing RPG and a golf RPG. Am I member actual games?

Mario Golf GBC maybe?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

XyrlocShammypants posted:

No and now on FIFA you can't invite friends either. It's not good optics that the best and only supported way to play with friends is to be right next to each other and all have a switch (and a copy of the game).

A splatoon question before I get the bundle because I'm now confused about Nintendo's online features:

quote:

To start a party go to the online area (the giant tower in the city square) and scroll down to either Private Battle or Online Lounge. The first allows you to make your own room to play against people you’ve met or friends, with the latter allowing for the same feature, but with voice chat enabled. You cannot currently form a voice chat party and play online against other people. So if you want to talk to your buddies and shoot people then you’re going to need to invite 8 people.

Does this mean me and my buddy (who has a switch and splatoon) can't play online together with and against strangers?

We don't care too much about chat and parties for now, we'd just Skype or use our PS4's for its awesome party chat. But we really wanted this game to play together and shoot other people we don't know.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You can play together but the game will rotate you two to not be on the same team every time. You'll be on the same team approximately 50% of the time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
[quote="“Beastie”" post="“476887397”"]
You can play together but the game will rotate you two to not be on the same team every time. You’ll be on the same team approximately 50% of the time.
[/quote]

So chat aside, there is basically no party system?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Rolo posted:

A splatoon question before I get the bundle because I'm now confused about Nintendo's online features:

Does this mean me and my buddy (who has a switch and splatoon) can't play online together with and against strangers?

We don't care too much about chat and parties for now, we'd just Skype or use our PS4's for its awesome party chat. But we really wanted this game to play together and shoot other people we don't know.

When you play with friends in Splatoon you are put in the same game but could end up on opposite teams as team assignment is done more for weapon balance and plain random on top of that.

Rolo posted:

So chat aside, there is basically no party system?
No, on purpose. So people don't gang up so much on randos

League battle aka team ranked does allow you to be on teams and stick to it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah if you go to competitive it will keep you on the same team. Nintendo doesn't want groups of grown rear end adults partying up and stomping on kids.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
We really need a good flowchart for "how to play this game with friends online"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Literally the moment someone figures out homebrew on the Switch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
[quote="“LethalGeek”" post="“476887445”"]
When you play with friends in Splatoon you are put in the same game but could end up on opposite teams as team assignment is done more for weapon balance and plain random on top of that.
No, on purpose. So people don’t gang up so much on randos
[/quote]

I feel like PS4 balances this well by putting you against a team that also has a party or 2 and so on.

Does the switch just not have the online presence yet to pull that off? It's a little disappointing but we'll probably still end up getting it. Me and friends liked overwatch on PS4 and were looking forward to a cartoony chill shooter we can play when I'm living in hotels for work.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
2-man league is great, just gotta grind up to level 10 and rank B+ first IIRC

You could also start a Salmon Run room with 2-4 people and have the rest fill with pubs.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
[quote="“LethalGeek”" post="“476887445”"]
League battle aka team ranked does allow you to be on teams and stick to it.
[/quote]

Can we do this with, let's say: me, 2 friends, a stranger VS 4 strangers?

Sorry for all the questions but, even while using google, finding the details for what we want to ask is hard with so many click-bait switch articles.

E: it sounds like we'd be able to enjoy the game. I'm a social gamer and I use it to keep up with friends I moved away from, so I'd regret a system that doesn't let me play specifically with them in public rooms to some degree.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 29, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The argument goes they don't want you to gang up against random kids but then then there is no foundation for playing with friends in 1v1 games soooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
How are the sports games on here? Is that MLB game aby good? I feel like playing out a season for some reason.

• Locked thread