Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

LOL there are assholes trying to be sneaky and go inside the mall to skip the line and they’re being told to gently caress off and get to the back of the line. There’s about 80 people here now so good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

Oh hey, Google says the SNES controller works with the NES. I mean, it SHOULD, but it's nice to know it does. Especially if you never got a 2nd NES controller or the OG NES hurts your hands.

The Y button better act as the B button

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got to target about half an hour before opening. I was number 71 in line, by opening the line was as long behind me as in front of me, and everybody got one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Nah the best setup is X as nes B. Then you can use X and A like you would use Y and B on an SNES, they have the same angle, or you can use literally A and B if you have to have the button letters be literal.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Twerkdad posted:

Looks like Bestbuy.ca is next up for online orders at noon EST. I bet Amazon.ca puts theirs up at the same time.

The Source is also getting 20 per store (major malls in ON/QC only) so you could always try there. Reportedly the EBGames at Yonge/Dundas got 500 so if you're downtown Toronto it couldn't hurt to stop by if you're on the prowl.

I would be curious to see how busy the Yonge/dundas EB is. Must suck to be out there now because it's been raining for about an hour. That is their flagship store. I'm in Toronto and went to a wal mart on the outer limits of the city. Got there at 6:15 and was 40th in line. Got really lucky because there was only about 5-10 left after me. It was funny to watch the people left in line scramble out to their cars.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Huxley posted:

Oh hey, Google says the SNES controller works with the NES. I mean, it SHOULD, but it's nice to know it does. Especially if you never got a 2nd NES controller or the OG NES hurts your hands.

I have the 8bitdo NESC controller and I'm guessing/hoping it'll work perfectly with the SNES, extension cables are nice but having wireless makes all the difference and for the one time every 6 months the batteries die I can just use my PS4 controller.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Kilazar posted:

Managed to get mine last night. 13th in line for an 18 count. Chilled from 9:30 to midnight playing MK on a pair of switches a group brought. Was good times.

So modding talk, I love the UI and the CRT display setting, can we just inject games into that emulator? Or do we have to go with a whole rewrite to get more games? If this is a dumb question I'm sorry, I've never messed with emulators before.

That's how it worked for the NES Classic. The haxchi people are still working on it, but it's likely the same, they've already dumped the NAND and are working on reverse engineering it now. Generally there will be a simple software tool for it, might take a couple of weeks though.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Cultisto posted:

I have the 8bitdo NESC controller and I'm guessing/hoping it'll work perfectly with the SNES, extension cables are nice but having wireless makes all the difference and for the one time every 6 months the batteries die I can just use my PS4 controller.

You will need a reciever as there is no BT built into the system.

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes-classic/

That is the one for the nes classic. It "should" work on the SNES classic, but I can't open the site at work to confirm.

WilliamAnderson posted:

That's how it worked for the NES Classic. The haxchi people are still working on it, but it's likely the same, they've already dumped the NAND and are working on reverse engineering it now. Generally there will be a simple software tool for it, might take a couple of weeks though.

Awesome thanks! I'm not sure why this CRT mod looks good when others don't, but I love it!

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Der-Wreck posted:

I would be curious to see how busy the Yonge/dundas EB is. Must suck to be out there now because it's been raining for about an hour. That is their flagship store. I'm in Toronto and went to a wal mart on the outer limits of the city. Got there at 6:15 and was 40th in line. Got really lucky because there was only about 5-10 left after me. It was funny to watch the people left in line scramble out to their cars.

I'm going downtown this afternoon, might just walk by to see the line.

Thought I had one through walmart.ca so I didn't even think to check the line at the one down the street from my work in North York. Turns out it takes 2 hours for Walmart to send out an email saying 'oopsies, you don't actually get one' :salt:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This was my first thought too.

Anybody care to test?

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Kilazar posted:

You will need a reciever as there is no BT built into the system.

Well yes I have the controller/receiver combo which I use on the NES Classic already. It's the same input on the SNES Classic so if it doesn't work immediately it's farily safe to say 8bitdo will put out a firmware update for the receiver.

I did also spend the whole $14 on a pair of 8ft extension cables for when the kids want to play, I suppose it was nice of Nintendo to increase the controller cable length by a whole foot but that is still a terrible length to sit away from any reasonably sized television.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I got one! Huzahh! I work IT so I finished a ticket and had a small break. Looked at the time and saw it was 9:30, so figure I'd drive 10mins to the local mall and see if I could at least scope out the local gamespot (I had no hope of getting one) and told my boss I was stepping out for a few.

Drove to the mall, walked (ok ran) up to the Gamespot and saw a dude handing out tickets. I got in line and to my surprise, I got one! I was 2nd to last in line to get one. I had no expectation of getting one of these today and yet, I triumphantly returned to the office, SNES classic in hand, and many oohs and ahhs from my co-workers. A great start to the weekend. :)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How accurate is Brick Seek right now?

Surprised to see Targets and Walmarts in my area with units still well after opening.

Makes me think that Nintendo really came through with as much stock as possible. I hope everyone that wanted one got one

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

esperantinc posted:

Anyone get an update from Amazon? I still don't have a shipping date :(

I too have not received an update. Christmas for me and my 99 identical brothers is ruined!!!

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Sand Dan posted:

I too have not received an update. Christmas for me and my 99 identical brothers is ruined!!!

one of my 12 brothers may not need his as he got some extras for his brothers, i may be able to let this go for $200

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Apparently Amazon put some classics in their Treasure Trucks but they can't ship out the preorders? :confused:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This thing is tiny! Like I knew it was smaller than the original and all, but I've never seen a NES Classic in person so I was not ready. I could probably fit this thing down my dick.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

They had like 50 at my Target, not that many people waiting for them. I think the scapler market is going to tank pretty quick on these.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro7x posted:

How accurate is Brick Seek right now?

Surprised to see Targets and Walmarts in my area with units still well after opening.

Makes me think that Nintendo really came through with as much stock as possible. I hope everyone that wanted one got one

Not very. It said the Target near me had 17 left, I called and the clerk said they sold the last one 10 minutes ago.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
On my way home I ran into my cousin and we spent the next 3 hours playing Street Fighter II.

I'm so happy I got one. So, so happy.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Walmart.ca email says it’s gonna cancel any orders if it can’t ship within 3 days. So glad I stayed in line, what utter bullshit.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I work down the street from Nintendo World NYC. Part of me wants to walk by just to see whatever bedlam is going on down there.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
Ended up just barely getting one at the downtown Seattle Target. Heard there were 120 in stock and I got one of the last 6 after lining up at 7:05 after they opened at 7:00. I cut it super close but am super happy since this thing looks amazing and am having so much nostalgia right now.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Aw yeah, mine just got delivered. First impressions: very tiny, controller port looks hideous, menu music is great, no manuals?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Normally threads get annoying on release day with "i got it" or "drat you shipping" stories but given all the hassle of the NES Classic this is really enjoyable reading everyone's tales. The general consensus here (and from buddies of mine that got them around town) is that everything is MUCH smoother this time around. There is good supply at most places AND, maybe more importantly, many stores learned a lesson from last year and are dealing with it in a much better way...i.e. being strict about limiting to one per customer and not being afraid to tell people to gently caress off when they pull shady stuff like line jumpers and/or bringing in random people to buy extras. Glad many are getting theirs and if you don't, sounds like you will be able to get them soon.

Get hosed scalpers.

This actually makes me excited for the inevitable N64 classic that's rumored. I had zero enthusiasm before because I just figured they'd be impossible to find, like I assumed the SNES would be. This bodes well for it.

I was 22 of 34 at my Walmart last night, with a ticket system, and picked it up at midnight with no hassle. The funniest thing was when we were all checking out some bro came in (I live in a college town, and he for sure had been drinking) with a Manchester United shirt on and looked REALLY confused. He says, "you guys are all here for Fifa 18?"

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I checked brickseek at 8am and every wal mart in NH was sold out. The stores got about 20 each too. I wonder if I’ll ever see one of these in person

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

enojy posted:

This thing is tiny! Like I knew it was smaller than the original and all, but I've never seen a NES Classic in person so I was not ready. I could probably fit this thing down my dick.

Games > SNES Classic: I could probably fit this thing down my dick

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Normally threads get annoying on release day with "i got it" or "drat you shipping" stories but given all the hassle of the NES Classic this is really enjoyable reading everyone's tales. The general consensus here (and from buddies of mine that got them around town) is that everything is MUCH smoother this time around. There is good supply at most places AND, maybe more importantly, many stores learned a lesson from last year and are dealing with it in a much better way...i.e. being strict about limiting to one per customer and not being afraid to tell people to gently caress off when they pull shady stuff like line jumpers and/or bringing in random people to buy extras. Glad many are getting theirs and if you don't, sounds like you will be able to get them soon.

Get hosed scalpers.

This actually makes me excited for the inevitable N64 classic that's rumored. I had zero enthusiasm before because I just figured they'd be impossible to find, like I assumed the SNES would be. This bodes well for it.

I was 22 of 34 at my Walmart last night, with a ticket system, and picked it up at midnight with no hassle. The funniest thing was when we were all checking out some bro came in (I live in a college town, and he for sure had been drinking) with a Manchester United shirt on and looked REALLY confused. He says, "you guys are all here for Fifa 18?"

I agree with all of this. Unlike with the NES it seems if you really wanted an SNES classic, you can get one and not pay scalper prices. Even if you missed out today, sign up for NowInStock! I spoke with reps at Best Buy and Gamespot and they told me they are expecting regular shipments just not sure when.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Overbite posted:

I checked brickseek at 8am and every wal mart in NH was sold out. The stores got about 20 each too. I wonder if I’ll ever see one of these in person

Also in NH and we had a full line at 7am Walmart opening.

Depending where you are in the state, I would've recommended Target or Toys r Us earlier today. One brother scored Target by just showing up 10 min before opening. Another walked into Toys R Us at opening and got it.

Target may be iffy but I wouldnt be surprised if some were on a shelf in a backwoods Toys R Us.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

glassyalabolas posted:

Apparently Amazon put some classics in their Treasure Trucks but they can't ship out the preorders? :confused:

I woke up to an alert and got one. Will pick it up later today. Wasn't really in the market for it but it seems to be maybe a good gift or a fun rainy-day thingy.

Neat.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Daveski posted:

Also - paging Dick Trauma to the thread...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Finally picked mine up. Target was very efficient and let people into the store to start buying 15 minutes early. When I left there were about 20 people in a non-ticket line just hoping one of the ticket people wouldn't come back from 7am.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
For those that haven't gotten it yet and are wondering just how small it actually is:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FNAC has theirs back in stock if you want the Euro version.

https://jeux-video.fnac.com/Console-Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Super-Nintendo/a10859860/w-4

Me and a few others ordered from here with great ease.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Watching the ebay price slowly fall is one of the most satisfying things I've seen this year and it's making me question my life and life choices

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

That happened to me when Dark Souls came out. I lived on campus that had a Gamestop in the commons area, and they did a midnight release. I showed up to nearly 100 students waiting outside the store, like wtf? This many people know that Dark Souls is gonna be the poo poo? Nope, NBA2K or some other sports game was coming out the same day. It was me and like 2 other people picking up Dark Souls.

Daveski posted:

That's from what I thought was a well-known Ventrilo spam/prank on some WoW nerds but google turns up nothin so here I am casually talking about putting things down my dick.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 29, 2017

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Terrific Accident posted:

Watching the ebay price slowly fall is one of the most satisfying things I've seen this year and it's making me question my life and life choices

slowly? It's been out for one day

If you can actually see a trend within 2 hours of the east coast electronics stores opening that means they are in freefall

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vintersorg posted:

FNAC has theirs back in stock if you want the Euro version.

https://jeux-video.fnac.com/Console-Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Super-Nintendo/a10859860/w-4

Me and a few others ordered from here with great ease.

That about $115 USD?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Headed to GameStop to pick up my pre-order. If it isn't sold already lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I got one. I actually did it. Wow.

Went to Wal-Mart last night, but no dice. Got up this morning and went to Gamestop and it turns out I was number 3 of 6 available! We were all hanging outside the store for a good while and got to know each other pretty well. They took a picture of the six of us with our systems. Plus, they were doing a 20% off Nintendo merch thing so I was able to get Monopoly Gamer for my daughter along with the game pieces she wanted. All worked out pretty well and I still can't actually believe I have this thing. Now to go play Mario RPG!