Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

and you don't have a loving clue of what you're talking about, feel free to tell me what is mistagged here you dumb gently caress

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

did itunes get rid of the "group compilations together" option in their "focus on music" or whatever the gently caress

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

loving ios 11 killed noby noby boy. i will never forgive apple

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The Management posted:

pretty much everything.

* song field shouldn't contain the artist name, that's already in the artist field.
* the artist name is "Dick Dale and His Del-Tones".
* the album name shouldn't contain the disc number, there's a field for that.
* the genre should be Surf.

and finally usually the album artist would be "various artists" to appease the iTunes idiotic sorting. but you seem to have a checkbox for that which I've never seen before, so I can't fault you there

also the disc should be tagged, not part of the freaking album name. what a dumb-rear end this person is, for thinking his MP3 was tagged correctly.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GameCube posted:

loving ios 11 killed noby noby boy. i will never forgive apple

never heard of it. but i don't play games on my cell phone lol

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

this is dumb as gently caress

and you don't have a loving clue of what you're talking about, feel free to tell me what is mistagged here you dumb gently caress

Try setting it up like this. (You don't need to do the Album Artist thing, I only did that for this album. Usually it's blank.) All my compilations are grouped at the bottom of my music list.

EDIT: If that's the only artist you have on that album, then it sends it to the artist, regardless of being marked as a compilation. So make sure you have other artists also with that exact album title.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

been using the touch bar since release, still loving stinks and there hasn't been a single day I go "oh that was very cool and useful"

like maybe once I pushed "ok" on the touch bar instead of moving my mouse to the dialog box

Touch ID button is great though
rest of the touchbar sucks
every day I miss the escape key (touchbar can hide it sometimes if you change volume and forget to exit the volume screen, for instance lol it's so bad)

the touchbar esc key is so bad, they move it over an inch and literally have an empty bezel in the spot where a physical escape key could be just as an extra gently caress you to the user. just abort the whole thing and put face id in next year's model timb

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“coke”" post="“476884110”"]
yeah and now apple is even dumber to use them for baseband/modem

like you know, the chip that allows cellular devices to connect to the internet and the whole point of having a mobile phone in the first place

like stymie said, tims lust for margin is killimg apple and should be fired
[/quote]

what's wrong with intel basebands? works for me

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I think apple wanted to go back to infineon or whatever the company that made the original iPhone baseband chips was, which is now owned by intel LOL

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doc Block posted:

I think apple wanted to go back to infineon or whatever the company that made the original iPhone baseband chips was, which is now owned by intel LOL

they wanted to not give qualcomm a percentage of the price of the final product, which is what their licensing terms demand, and instead just pay for the chip they're buying.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/29/apple-looking-to-develop-custom-arm-chips-for-future-macs-cutting-out-intel---report

quote:

Apple looking to develop custom ARM chips for future Macs, cutting out Intel - report

Apple is not only interested in chip production for the iPhone and iPad, but developing its own CPU for laptops, modems for the iPhone, and its own touchscreen processing system, a new report claims.

In a report published on Friday by the Nikkei Asian Review two industry sources claim that Apple is trying to cut back on dependence on Intel in regards to the MacBook or MacBook Pro. The account claims that Apple is looking to leverage ARM processors, such as the A-series of chips currently found in the iPad and iPhone for future models.

"Notebooks are becoming thinner, while consumers are demanding better mobility and longer battery life," an unnamed chip industry executive told the Nikkei Asian Review. "That gives ARM's architecture, which is known for its power efficiency, a very good opportunity."

No specific details beyond industry chatter were shared by the report regarding the shift to ARM. There is no current evidence suggesting that Apple is working on an ARM version of macOS —but it does seem like an obvious move.

Apple's purchase of NeXT in 1997 brought along NeXTStep, a precursor to Rhapsody, which ultimately became OS X. At the time of the deal, NeXTStep had an Intel processor-compatible version. But, Apple's 2006 shift to Intel was still a relative surprise, with little forewarning and few rumors prior suggesting that the move was imminent.

The same report suggests that Apple has "invested in research and development for baseband modem chips," with the possibility of a future dumping of both Qualcomm and Intel technologies in the iPhone. This development is thought to be at least two years away, however, with Apple needing "a minimum one thousand engineers to work on such a project."

Apple's poaching of employees from AU Optronics, plus personnel from Taiwan's primary display driver chip manufacturer Novatek is evidence that Apple is looking to control touch screen technologies as well, according to the Nikkei Asian Review.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i bet this is mainly for negotiating with intel

for now

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

how would that even work

Apple's ARM chip would need some x86 emulation for compatability, and I don't think intel would just license that out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maybe Apple can run them through AMD somehow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah they'll just do the same as the ppc->intel move: dump hardware compability entirely and use a limited software emulation layer for a few years

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i mean, it's not news that they're trying - just as they're doing their own tv

whether it ever gets released is another matter, but they'd also have to do this as a general hedge; anything else would be irresponsible

we're probably going to see windows on arm before macos, especially given the low priority mac is getting

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

ufarn posted:

we're probably going to see windows on arm before macos, especially given the low priority mac is getting
Yes, that's quite probable, given that Windows on arm shipped in 2012.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

this is dumb as gently caress

wow this is so badly tagged im getting physically sick

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Crime on a Dime posted:

not if you bought the cd and use iTunes to rip it

what the gently caress? how are you posting from 2003?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

how would that even work

Apple's ARM chip would need some x86 emulation for compatability, and I don't think intel would just license that out

like microsoft is and like apple did before, software level translation. the only problem is your ARM needs to be faster than the x86 cpu it's replacing to have comparable performance. during the ppc->x86 transition that wasn't hard because PPC was absolute dogshit. x86->arm remains to be seen

ms claims "near native" performance on their windows-on-arm platform using some qualcomm SoC

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
all apple needs to do is help the cpu-intensive x86 developers to support ipad pro, which already exists. they can make a switch once the important apps that would suffer under emulation are on board

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Important apps that would suffer from emulation that are still used by professionals in OS X:
- XCode
:ins:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

nah they'll just do the same as the ppc->intel move: dump hardware compability entirely and use a limited software emulation layer for a few years

hasn't intel recently been trying to scare off anyone who even thinks about maybe possibly emulating x86?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Block posted:

hasn't intel recently been trying to scare off anyone who even thinks about maybe possibly emulating x86?

that's why I proposed sheep dipping them as AMD chips

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also AMD's endgame being propped up as an end run around intel's patents would be hilarious

(the patent licenses for x86 are void if amd is bought by someone else supposedly)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lomarf

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/29/iphone-8-plus-casing-split-open/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:eyepop:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
pre-bent for your convenience

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

quote:

investigations into charging-related incidents often reveal that a third-party charger was used, even when an owner initially claims to have used the supplied Apple one

you're charging it wrong?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

these are apple's first quick-charge capable phones iirc, you need a good charger for that to work

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
got my 8

that bump tho

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

these are apple's first quick-charge capable phones iirc, you need a good charger for that to work

lol, i thought my 6s charged slow

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

also AMD's endgame being propped up as an end run around intel's patents would be hilarious

(the patent licenses for x86 are void if amd is bought by someone else supposedly)

i wonder if intel voiding amd's x86 license would cost intel the rights to x86-64

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I was driving in my coworkers BMW today and he has a qi charging pad in it. It was rad as hell. Also the seat had massage function and in retrospect that was better.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

qirex posted:

You would think the phone's internal charging circuit would um, take care of that if it had any sort of engineering behind it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

emoji posted:

if it had any sort of engineering behind it.
:thunk:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
now we know why apple are in a rush to suddenly push inductive charging

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

apple is a linux https://github.com/apple/darwin-xnu

Linguica fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 30, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Block posted:

i wonder if intel voiding amd's x86 license would cost intel the rights to x86-64

supposedly that's the suicide pact they've made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

xnu was always open sourced. they just added the ARM code to the public repo now.

• Locked thread