Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ravenfood posted:

I didn't think that black arks could attack costal cities. At least, I haven't been able to launch attacks with them. They might be able to reinforce attacks started by a lord, though.

Also, I've mostly been skipping corsairs in favor of shielded darkshards and shades and it's working ok for me. I think I should have used the handbow corsairs more though, since everyone here seems to think they're great.

One thing about upgrading your ark's fire support: The cooldowns increase significantly and since they start on cooldown​, it might not actually be good to do so. Definitely increase their slave hold asap though, slaves are a huge boost to your economy if you concentrate them somewhere. The rebellions that lots of slaves will bring are really nice too.

I don't really see a bad unit for delfs and honestly shades and darkshards are just fine

EDIT:
Delf lords come as sword and board or sword and crossbow and the crossbow guys get the same reload auras and it owns
\/\/\/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In more ridiculousness regarding High Elf shooting, the Princess replaces Rally and Hold the Line with constantly active AoE passives that boost reload speed (+10 at first, then +20). And given the lack of specifics beyond "allied army," they affect your bolt throwers too. You know, just in case you wanted your stack of Seaguard and Eagle Claws to kill everything even faster.

On that note, Eagle Claws are great, but the two you get in the gate armies seem mostly useless, as you still can't put artillery on walls and bolt throwers are line of effect weapons.

Also, the interventions seem fairly worthless. Spawned a high level stack against the Lizardman that started next to one of their ritual sites (which was without a stack), it proceeded to go south and attack a minor settlement with a full stack in it, obliterating the settlement and stack, but taking damage in the process. So one turn wasted, it then marched back north and put the ritual site under siege the next turn, despite that it should have been able to attack immediately and there still not being a stack in the city. Queue it still sieging the city a few turns later when the Lizardmen got another full stack there and killed it.

edit: On the topic of rogue armies, got a truly ridiculous one that spawned and was basically purely Empire artillery (so among other things, 3-4 Rocket Batteries), plus 2 Steam Tanks.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 29, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the dark elf economy is crazy if you max slaves too, I just basically wiped out the norscans to get 5k slaves and now iv got 100k gold and +11k income

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I went from prerelease thinking dark elves would be the worst faction to thinking they own. I expected it would be a skyrim/warcraft ish take on elves being effeminate humans with pointy ears but this fantasy setting is so much cooler than that (tw is my first time playing warhammer fantasy)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

skaven are fun but my god playing a round as them is draining, there are so many different things happening in so many different directions to keep track of.

i cannot imagine what total loving bullshit playing against skink skirmishers would be

Your ninjas shoot farther and move faster than Skinks, they're fine. The problem, at least for Queek, is getting killy units up in time to stop Kroq-gar's Swole Saurus Swarm because a single Warpfire Thrower and Rat Ogre unit aren't going to do poo poo against a lot of Saurus, much less Cold One cavalry and dinosaurs.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How do you counter wizards

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm legitimately salty that the game seems fine with High Elves and Dark Elves being able to be friendly. I've had three Hard games ruined by Dark Elves calling on High Elf factions to join their war against me.

Also how are you all other High Elves getting your waystone fix? There doesn't seem to be that many you can grab on the starting islands, and the quests don't give many.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ethanol posted:

How do you counter wizards

Usually the AI will let you just shoot them to death. May not work if on a Triceratops

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Your ninjas shoot farther and move faster than Skinks, they're fine. The problem, at least for Queek, is getting killy units up in time to stop Kroq-gar's Swole Saurus Swarm because a single Warpfire Thrower and Rat Ogre unit aren't going to do poo poo against a lot of Saurus, much less Cold One cavalry and dinosaurs.

Going to put my Helf campaign on a little hold, as it seems that's who I'm going to be playing with my friend in multiplayer. How viable would it be to simply just get out a second stack as soon as possible and try to swamp the swole sauruses with numbers? Possibly try to exhaust them first with Skavenslaves then when they rout (as they are expendable they won't incur a morale penalty for the rest of the army) then move in with the rest of your army. Skavenslaves are like no upkeep at all, doesn't seem like that bad of a way to do it to me, though it might be a bit clunky wandering about with two armies supporting each other all the time.

Pierson posted:

I'm legitimately salty that the game seems fine with High Elves and Dark Elves being able to be friendly. I've had three Hard games ruined by Dark Elves calling on High Elf factions to join their war against me.

Also how are you all other High Elves getting your waystone fix? There doesn't seem to be that many you can grab on the starting islands, and the quests don't give many.

You basically have to go out and get them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So how are people leveraging Mazdamundis Bastiladon? I suspect it mostly just doesn't feel effective against the Skeggi because of their lack of ranged to bombard, does that sound about right?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the secret is that there is only one elf faction

but none of the elves can agree which one it is

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

ethanol posted:

I went from prerelease thinking dark elves would be the worst faction to thinking they own. I expected it would be a skyrim/warcraft ish take on elves being effeminate humans with pointy ears but this fantasy setting is so much cooler than that (tw is my first time playing warhammer fantasy)

The Dark Elves are, as a civilization, legitimately the most horrible people in the world. Chaos does what it does because it is driven to act that way by the force of mortal emotions, but the Dark Elves do what they do for amusement. Well, they also do it for pragmatic purposes- their empire runs on slavery. And bloody sacrifices to Khaine. But in general they just really get off on doing horrible things.

They are the same people as the High Elves, the difference is cultural. But it's not like the High Elves are "good" in the same way the Dark Elves are evil. They're suffused with overweening arrogance and see the world as more or less composed of Chaos, which must be stopped, various beasts who must be put in their place and lesser child races like humanity who need to be shown who their betters are. They see themselves as the guardians of all civilization and the only hope the world has against Chaos, and they won't let you forget it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

So how are people leveraging Mazdamundis Bastiladon? I suspect it mostly just doesn't feel effective against the Skeggi because of their lack of ranged to bombard, does that sound about right?

it is important to recognize Mazdamundi's Bastiladon is a heavily armored monster with more mass than god that some skinks have attached a long-range peashooter to.

that thing is very, very heavy cavalry that also forces enemies without siege weapons to charge you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Helion posted:

They are the same people as the High Elves, the difference is cultural. But it's not like the High Elves are "good" in the same way the Dark Elves are evil. They're suffused with overweening arrogance and see the world as more or less composed of Chaos, which must be stopped, various beasts who must be put in their place and lesser child races like humanity who need to be shown who their betters are. They see themselves as the guardians of all civilization and the only hope the world has against Chaos, and they won't let you forget it.

Well, they aren't wrong, as such

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, they aren't wrong, as such

Yes, and that is part of what makes them interesting!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Team Aenarion: World Police

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question about ranged units: Is there/Should I even care about friendly fire? Like if I have a ranged unit attacking a unit that one of my melee units is engaging.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Ze Pollack posted:

it is important to recognize Mazdamundi's Bastiladon is a heavily armored monster with more mass than god that some skinks have attached a long-range peashooter to.

that thing is very, very heavy cavalry that also forces enemies without siege weapons to charge you.

Yea, I mostly just let it dino arty fire until people are in melee, in which point I just charge them into the biggest group. Its not useless as arty, but it does more damage up close than at range, not to mention is both disrupts and fears.

Edit: Also, dino arty its rather good at firing at other big units, like dragons, abominations and hydras.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 29, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i just throw it into melee, it smashes everything. and it just happens to be able to shoot over the heads of the melee he's in to take a potshot at something.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question about ranged units: Is there/Should I even care about friendly fire? Like if I have a ranged unit attacking a unit that one of my melee units is engaging.

there is friendly fire, but the AI will refuse to fire if it doesn't have a clear shot.

that said, since projectiles are all modeled, ordering your archers to fire on a fleeing unit that your melee dudes are also chasing is a wonderful recipe for accidentally arrowing your own dudes in the back during the cleanup phase.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's easy to miss but the skinks on the Bastiladon also throw poisoned spears which is actually a nice bonus. if you don't want it in melee at least get it close so it can do that

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bridge maps are back baby

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Going to put my Helf campaign on a little hold, as it seems that's who I'm going to be playing with my friend in multiplayer. How viable would it be to simply just get out a second stack as soon as possible and try to swamp the swole sauruses with numbers? Possibly try to exhaust them first with Skavenslaves then when they rout (as they are expendable they won't incur a morale penalty for the rest of the army) then move in with the rest of your army. Skavenslaves are like no upkeep at all, doesn't seem like that bad of a way to do it to me, though it might be a bit clunky wandering about with two armies supporting each other all the time.

IMO the problem with drowning the dinosaurs with infinite rats is that they're very good at killing swarms of the things, good enough that they're likely to rout the entire swarm of cannon fodder without taking worthwhile damage to their vigour and health. If you need to kill them, you have to do it while they're pre-occupied already, drat the losses, and the problem with that is you need to rush tier upgrades and recruitment buildings ASAP to get more killy units.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've had a lot of luck with hitting the dinosaurs with lots of magic debuffs. Skrolk's armor debuff in particular seemed really helpful. If you have them available a unit of stormvermin with halberds will maul the hell out of those large targets when they're weak like that. Even clan rats with spears will do ok though, you just need more of them.

Magic seems really crucial for turning your disorganized horde of rats into a brutal killing machine.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So you can play the High Elves the same way I played Wood Elves, except even more ranged dominant because they basically have Empire Free Companies in the Lothern Sea Guard expect beefier instead of melee only spear Eternal Guards? Everything shoots.

Might have to pause my Mazdamundi game.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Davincie posted:

bridge maps are back baby

They are, and I'm happy to see it, but the AI hasn't advanced much since Rome 2 lol

Theyre incredibly easy to win, mostly due to magic

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My favorite part of things is how the lizards and ponce elfs are fundamentaly on the same side, with the same goals, but both are so invested in being the wiser, older 'savior' that they don't work together and end up shooting each other because they're both kind of stupid assholes.

Like, legit, "The wise elder races are intentionally arrogant, stupid assholes" is a nice change from them coming off as such while you're supposed to think they're great like in most fantasy settings.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 29, 2017

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

AngryBooch posted:

So you can play the High Elves the same way I played Wood Elves, except even more ranged dominant because they basically have Empire Free Companies in the Lothern Sea Guard expect beefier instead of melee only spear Eternal Guards? Everything shoots.

Might have to pause my Mazdamundi game.

Dark Elves too, their Sea units are cheaper, bigger, have more armour with less range. Only by a little bit on all of those stats except range.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

Oh my loving god, i have 10 turns left on the final ritual and the game has started crashing every turn, this is loving infuriating.

edit: yep, crashes every time now, cant continue the game. Sad!

I fixed this if someone else gets the same bug. I just turned off all camera movement during the AI turn and then the game managed to regurgitate a pustulent and vile Skaven cutscene at me without crashing.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Pendent posted:

I've had a lot of luck with hitting the dinosaurs with lots of magic debuffs. Skrolk's armor debuff in particular seemed really helpful. If you have them available a unit of stormvermin with halberds will maul the hell out of those large targets when they're weak like that. Even clan rats with spears will do ok though, you just need more of them.

Magic seems really crucial for turning your disorganized horde of rats into a brutal killing machine.

The overcast armor debuff gives the enemy -60 armor in a large radius. It's immensely powerful.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm the giant wheel that breaks all of da rules

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am a fan of night goblins and I am not sure I can play dark elf shades since they seem like competent night goblins and that aint right

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

someone go get a lizard or skaven over to helf land and take over a gate for me

i want to know what garrison you get

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

someone go get a lizard or skaven over to helf land and take over a gate for me

i want to know what garrison you get

Just started a Queek campaign. Figured since people are saying lizards are so hard for the rats that I'm going to try to move as far north as possible and fight-beat the man-things and elf-things.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Night10194 posted:

My favorite part of things is how the lizards and ponce elfs are fundamentaly on the same side, with the same goals, but both are so invested in being the wiser, older 'savior' that they don't work together and end up shooting each other because they're both kind of stupid assholes.

Like, legit, "The wise elder races are intentionally arrogant, stupid assholes" is a nice change from them coming off as such while you're supposed to think they're great like in most fantasy settings.

the complaining about high elves getting wrecked ties in wonderfully. fuckers, that is what they are there for, not just lorewise but thematically. the fallen elder race, living in the shadow of their once-great empire, exists to demonstrate the vitality of the young up-and-comers.

behold the Asrai, fairest of the fair, whose least soldier is a match for five of the sons of man, who have stretched themselves too thinly, and find themselves overmatched on all fronts. weep, for with every one of their valiant spear-line that falls, another fragment of their glory passes into shadow forever.

behold Kurt Grundelplatz, 17, who worked in the Altdorf foundry carrying blanks until he got drunk in the wrong bar while the Reiksmarshal was recruiting.

his breastplate does not fit, and his handgun's stock has splinters, and between the gunpowder clouds and the abject, pants-making GBS threads terror he was experiencing at the time, he will never know that he is the guy who noscoped the Witch King off the side of his dragon.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've actually been really surprised at how effective Skaven are at killing Dwarfs between the armor debuff and (more importantly) their amazing artillery. The warp lightning guns in particular are absolutely brutal.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So my impressions from last night mostly revolve around the ritual mechanics being nothing but unfun bullshit. It seems you are heavily heavily punished for even taking your 'home' territory, in this case Ulthuan. The map is too big or your movement speed is too slow. The ritual armies spawn with siege weapons so all those defenses you put in place are meaningless. I know people have managed to win with Tyrion, so I'm kind of wondering what was your strategy? Did you just stick to Lothern/Caledor/the one with Shrine of Asuryan? What were your army comps? Did you just stick with spearmen/archers to get enough armies to cover all your territory? I'm really scrambling to come up with a strategy that lets you do the fun thing of unifying your starting position while also competing with the stupid rituals. Do you just ignore the rituals and just go wipe out the other factions?

Like right now I've got Tyrion's super stack which has all the fun toys, but then the rest of my stacks are basically 2x silverhelms, 1x eagle claw bolt thrower, and then as many white lions and lothern sea guard as possible. Unfortunately this means I can only field 6 armies, which is nowhere near enough to defend Ulthuan from the random bullshit spawns.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Skaven Trebuchet is the fastest solution to Early game Lizardmen woes. Race for a level 3 city then nuke the fuckers from orbit.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

gonadic io posted:

Dark Elves too, their Sea units are cheaper, bigger, have more armour with less range. Only by a little bit on all of those stats except range.

Although I am having fun with the Lizard strategy of them basically playing like the Romans on the battlefield. Expendable Javelin Skinks on the front line just like Hastati, while the heavy infantry/Saurus either mops up the exhausted units who make it through them or get around to the sides to force a rout. I've only fought against Skeggi and some low level rat armies at this point however, this strategy is always difficult against ranged focused armies.

That's what the dinos are for I'm guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Eimi posted:

So my impressions from last night mostly revolve around the ritual mechanics being nothing but unfun bullshit. It seems you are heavily heavily punished for even taking your 'home' territory, in this case Ulthuan. The map is too big or your movement speed is too slow. The ritual armies spawn with siege weapons so all those defenses you put in place are meaningless. I know people have managed to win with Tyrion, so I'm kind of wondering what was your strategy? Did you just stick to Lothern/Caledor/the one with Shrine of Asuryan? What were your army comps? Did you just stick with spearmen/archers to get enough armies to cover all your territory? I'm really scrambling to come up with a strategy that lets you do the fun thing of unifying your starting position while also competing with the stupid rituals. Do you just ignore the rituals and just go wipe out the other factions?

Like right now I've got Tyrion's super stack which has all the fun toys, but then the rest of my stacks are basically 2x silverhelms, 1x eagle claw bolt thrower, and then as many white lions and lothern sea guard as possible. Unfortunately this means I can only field 6 armies, which is nowhere near enough to defend Ulthuan from the random bullshit spawns.

armies with siege weapons own when you manually do the battle

if they got more then 2 cannons, get off of the walls, let them come in, set up kill zones inside

the artillery will only fire if it has an arc if you are not against a wall but you can let it fire, wipe out the guys inside, maybe send cav outside to deal with the arty

they are easy wins