Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I remember "Stealth Kiss your wife" then killing some orcs, then people distracting me from killing orcs, then killing more orcs, then killing some more orcs but with other orcs.

That's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

You mean you weren't into the big game hunting side story or girl-Theoden?

Not those nor the oh isn't it so sad Talion will get to never reconnect with his wife or the Gollum stuff, no. Ratbag was neat but his stuff is basically just wordy tutorial cutscenes.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I hated ratbag because he was pre-made and everyone has him in their game. I'm not here for that, gimme randomized orcs

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm ok with pre generated orcs because Ratbag was cool and Bruz looks cool as well

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Ratbag do we ever actually see his corpse? Or is it possible he survives and appears again in Shadow of War?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Ratbag do we ever actually see his corpse? Or is it possible he survives and appears again in Shadow of War?

In the world of SoW Necromancy is a thing so even if we'd see him dead in SoM he could still come back for SoW.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I hated ratbag because he was pre-made and everyone has him in their game. I'm not here for that, gimme randomized orcs

At least in SoW character like that will be "released" into the open world and you'll get to do as you please with them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why would anyone waste their magic reviving Ratbag?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jack Trades posted:

I remember "Stealth Kiss your wife" then killing some orcs, then people distracting me from killing orcs, then killing more orcs, then killing some more orcs but with other orcs.

That's about it.

You forgot hunting down Gollum like 8 times, Dwarf BGH, Celebrimbor whining and going full evil literally all game and Ratbag.

Also you forged a new one ring at the end lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RatHat posted:

Why would anyone waste their magic reviving Ratbag?

To kill him again, maybe?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zore posted:

You forgot hunting down Gollum like 8 times, Dwarf BGH, Celebrimbor whining and going full evil literally all game and Ratbag.

Also you forged a new one ring at the end lol.

Tbh the Torvin side-story was the most entertaining side-story in the game and Celebrimbor is the only interesting character in SoM.

I quite like the whole dynamic between the generic mcDuderface that is Talion and Sauron-li(gh)te that is Celebrimbor.

Celebrimbors voice actor also rules, especially when he's screaming like a maniac.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Jack Trades posted:

Tbh the Torvin side-story was the most entertaining side-story in the game and Celebrimbor is the only interesting character in SoM.

I quite like the whole dynamic between the generic mcDuderface that is Talion and Sauron-li(gh)te that is Celebrimbor.

Celebrimbors voice actor also rules, especially when he's screaming like a maniac.

I think you mean Eru Iluvatar lite :colbert:. Celebrimbor did nothing wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kelp Plankton posted:

The story in Shadow of Mordor has like 6 different threads and they all end halfway through themselves then the game ends

pretty much. the story is meh, starts strong and then it kinda just exists for terrible story missions with meh to poo poo boss fights. the game play and the nemesis system carries the game. i assume they have learned alot since then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

yeah. i feel bad for talion, he is basicaly just a meat sack suit for Celebrimbor and he is basically treated as such by most characters apart from Celebrimbor who is sorta ok with him on a token level.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i feel bad for talion, he is basicaly just a meat sack suit for Celebrimbor and he is basically treated as such by most characters apart from Celebrimbor who is sorta ok with him on a token level.

Talion desperately needs to stop brooding and finally admit to himself that he's having fun being on a buddy adventure with Celebrimbor.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. the story is meh, starts strong and then it kinda just exists for terrible story missions with meh to poo poo boss fights. the game play and the nemesis system carries the game. i assume they have learned alot since then.

its great because you can see the exact moment they stopped trying (its the part where you get the brand ability

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

its great because you can see the exact moment they stopped trying (its the part where you get the brand ability

yeah. honestly. SOM feels like a very very good tech demo for the Nemesis system with a ligh over arching story to make it work. then they realized that had to actualy put stuff in there so they added a bunch of meh missions.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm actually surprised they gave Talion long hair since SoM came out during the tail end of the clean shaven roughed up angsty white dude craze that swept the nation

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I'm actually surprised they gave Talion long hair since SoM came out during the tail end of the clean shaven roughed up angsty white dude craze that swept the nation

Does short hair exist in middle earth? Even hobbits have middle length haircuts and everyone else is either rocking a cue ball or same thing as talion.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Does short hair exist in middle earth? Even hobbits have middle length haircuts and everyone else is either rocking a cue ball or same thing as talion.

I don't know about the wider lore, but the original movie trilogy all the guys had at least jaw length cuts, and many longer, so probably just going off that.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

That makes it look like a MOBA

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ratbag was the best part of the story in SoM. He was funny, and a great look into orc society. I didn't ever trust him, or even really like him (as a person), but from outside the game, he was totally the best part.

I say that because, when I finished SoM, I made a lot of posts about how I want a game where I am Ratbag, or someone like him. An ambitious orc, determined to climb the ranks by any means necessary. You'd have to drop branding, but you could change that for inspiring speeches or some poo poo. Who cares, let me be an orc, in a camp full of orcs, so I can be the chief orc and feed my enemies to my pet Graug named Lenny.

Game would own.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

ConfusedUs posted:

Ratbag was the best part of the story in SoM. He was funny, and a great look into orc society. I didn't ever trust him, or even really like him (as a person), but from outside the game, he was totally the best part.

I say that because, when I finished SoM, I made a lot of posts about how I want a game where I am Ratbag, or someone like him. An ambitious orc, determined to climb the ranks by any means necessary. You'd have to drop branding, but you could change that for inspiring speeches or some poo poo. Who cares, let me be an orc, in a camp full of orcs, so I can be the chief orc and feed my enemies to my pet Graug named Lenny.

Game would own.

That'd would be a hell of a game. You start out as a semi-randomly generated orc, and your upgrades give you better equipment and moves. You start out like literally everybody else but prove yourself over and over again. You gotta play it safe at first since you get permadeath (or you lose upgrades/experience) but eventually you can specialize as an archer, hunter, berserker, defender, etc. You gain intel from bribing, intimidating, and just hanging out with other orcs.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

my problem with ratbag is less ratbag himself and more that hes just this enforced extended tutorial about systems in a game that's selling point is 'make your own orc stories'. hes the forced story. they didnt need to keep his thing going as long as they did, and once it was done he wasnt relevant at all in the 2nd half of the game. if he had stuck around (outside of the nemesis system's framework) or been more story-relevant maybe it would have worked for me better

i just feel like the game's systems are built in a way that teach you how they work pretty naturally when you kill someone or get killed by someone, and the tutorial stuff could have been much lighter. ratbag was fine as a character, but his progression could have been much more freeform and up to the player and that would have been better

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Yeah I'll grant you that. Ratbag just got knocked off screen and it was lame for all his setup. I'm sure he's dead and all, but come on.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Nah he'll just come back with a sack on his head

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I liked Ratbag a lot because most of the plot stuff in SoM is just Talion brooding at someone saying plot points at him, but then you have this random orc trying to sell you on his terrible schemes and it's the one time Talion gets to emote a bit and it felt like the writers were really having fun with it as opposed to just running down a checklist of Middle Earth tropes.

If he shows up in SoW I'm definitely giving him his own fortress.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, the little videos with Celebrimbor and Sauron were neat but that was the only aspect of the story that had any impact on me.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I dunno, I liked when Talion got obsessed over rescuing that one fighty chick, and Celebrimbor pretty much explicitly calls him out on doing it because she looks like his dead wife and talks about how no matter what, he's never getting her back. Talion.... says nothing, but very pointedly does not deny it. When the capture her, put her in the heart of their fortress, and then (loudly) cripple her in an attempt to bait Talion out, he still 100% takes the bait despite knowing it's a trap.

The resulting fight to escape, while still not actually hard, it's the one and only time the game actually felt a bit tense to me - you go from an invincible engine of death who is always in control of the situation, to a severely outnumbered guy fighting an entire fortress on even footing, while also trying to drag a hobbled, relatively helpless (and very much NOT superhuman) woman along behind you. There's a sense of vulnerability there that I never felt at any other point in the game, and it kind of hammers home that for all of Talion's gradual hardening, he's still got some chinks in the armor. His fight to save her really feels like one of purely emotional desperation.

It wasn't a huge focus point by any means, but that moment did actually stick with me a bit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Backhand posted:

I dunno, I liked when Talion got obsessed over rescuing that one fighty chick, and Celebrimbor pretty much explicitly calls him out on doing it because she looks like his dead wife and talks about how no matter what, he's never getting her back. Talion.... says nothing, but very pointedly does not deny it. When the capture her, put her in the heart of their fortress, and then (loudly) cripple her in an attempt to bait Talion out, he still 100% takes the bait despite knowing it's a trap.

The resulting fight to escape, while still not actually hard, it's the one and only time the game actually felt a bit tense to me - you go from an invincible engine of death who is always in control of the situation, to a severely outnumbered guy fighting an entire fortress on even footing, while also trying to drag a hobbled, relatively helpless (and very much NOT superhuman) woman along behind you. There's a sense of vulnerability there that I never felt at any other point in the game, and it kind of hammers home that for all of Talion's gradual hardening, he's still got some chinks in the armor. His fight to save her really feels like one of purely emotional desperation.

It wasn't a huge focus point by any means, but that moment did actually stick with me a bit.

I've 100% forgotten about this part of the game, so much so that I'm not even sure it happens.

I remember my boy ratbag cutting everyone's ears off tho

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CharlestonJew posted:

I've 100% forgotten about this part of the game, so much so that I'm not even sure it happens.

Same here. I vaguely remember the whole "kinda reminds him of his wife" bit, but none of the rest.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Shadow of Mordor is like the only time I can remember a video game giving me a power that was so obviously broken (Branding) within the framework that the game kind of stopped being fun after I got it.

I really enjoyed my time with SoM even if I felt like the story ended after what should have only been like the first two boss battles. This seems like an easy pick for me.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Shadow of Mordor is like the only time I can remember a video game giving me a power that was so obviously broken (Branding) within the framework that the game kind of stopped being fun after I got it.

I really enjoyed my time with SoM even if I felt like the story ended after what should have only been like the first two boss battles. This seems like an easy pick for me.

With the right runes, Shadowstrike was quite broken as well. You can literally Nightcrawler around killing everything, and occasionally executing, non stop.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Literally the biggest issue that SoM has, IMO, is the fact that the Nemesis system works best when the player dies a lot, which is why the very first story mission sends a dozen orcs to ambush your sorry rear end, but at the same time it gives you a poo poo ton of OP powers that make the game incredibly easy.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I plan to play this game the way I played Shadow of Mordor - no runes with the prompts turned off. That way you can't just ghost everyone all the time and you can really build up the nemesis system.

Don't get it twisted - that system will be what makes or breaks this game - not the main story. That can be ignored. Some of my favorite gameplay moments in any game ever were due to an Orc just loving with me nonstop. I'd kill him, he'd kill me and on and on.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I do like the rune system, having your powers progress and/or be configurable is nice, and getting upgrades is fun, but in the case of SoM it could become TOO easy. It sounds like the new orks have much more options for wrecking your day so hopefully you can be both super powered AND still get your poo poo pushed in from time to time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There are also different difficulty modes in SoW and Hard Mode supposed to be pretty brutal, I've heard.

The developers specifically mentioned, several times, that they are aware of the fact that Nemesis system works best when you die a lot and that there are a whole lot of people out there that found SoM to be way too easy.
That gives me hope that Hard Mode is properly brutal.

That said, I'm definitely going to turn off combat prompt.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Combat prompts are for chumps.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Skandranon posted:

I do like the rune system, having your powers progress and/or be configurable is nice, and getting upgrades is fun, but in the case of SoM it could become TOO easy. It sounds like the new orks have much more options for wrecking your day so hopefully you can be both super powered AND still get your poo poo pushed in from time to time.

I agree that the rune system was awesome, it's just the game didn't step up its difficulty to match the versatility runes provided.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

From the promotional streams it looks like that even at endgame orcs can do quite a bit of damage, the Penny Arcade guys died or almost died a few times. I'll start with hard mode and try to be a bit more reckless than I would normally be, to maximize fun and deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Skandranon posted:

Combat prompts are for chumps.

It was a lot more satisfying when I turned them off. What really hosed me over was turning off the stealth prompts.

• Locked thread