Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My Gaggia Classic came with some portafilter attachment meant for use with pre-ground beans. I never tried it, but I wouldn't want to either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Both baskets are for ground beans, the pressurized one just makes it easier to get a decent shot if you don't have everything dialed in right. It's basically training wheels. Old, pre-ground coffee will pale in comparison regardless of what kind of basket you use.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Does anyone have any experience with the Flair Espresso Maker? Ive recently developed a taste for espresso and would like to get my first machine and am finding the range of machines available pretty overwhelming. The flair's price point as well as learning to operate a manual pump seems pretty awesome. I understand that with a manual pump the learning curve will be steeper and am ok with that, and at that price point it seems pretty hard to beat. Ill also be buying a decent grinder that can be modified as well so I expect with a bit of practice Ill be able to provide an adequate grind.

Sorry if this has been discussed recently in the thread, Ive done my best to go back a few pages and didnt see it mentioned.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Flair Espresso Maker? Ive recently developed a taste for espresso and would like to get my first machine and am finding the range of machines available pretty overwhelming. The flair's price point as well as learning to operate a manual pump seems pretty awesome. I understand that with a manual pump the learning curve will be steeper and am ok with that, and at that price point it seems pretty hard to beat. Ill also be buying a decent grinder that can be modified as well so I expect with a bit of practice Ill be able to provide an adequate grind.

Sorry if this has been discussed recently in the thread, Ive done my best to go back a few pages and didnt see it mentioned.

I have never seen this before, but now I want one.

What is your grinder. That's going to be what lets you make a good espresso from this.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I am eyeballing a DeLonghi KG79, which it seems can be modified pretty readily to make a decent espresso grind. Failing that I will probably be looking for something on the used market like a Rancilio Rocky which I understand is pretty solid.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CoffeeBooze posted:

I haven't done too much other than test the Flair but I kinda like the leverage on the ROK better if we're talking unpowered espresso presses. I've only used either a handful of times though.

EDIT-Despite how it looks like a dildo the handpresso is pretty legit too, but obviously not as balls-out steel constructed as the ROK.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

CoffeeBooze posted:

I am eyeballing a DeLonghi KG79, which it seems can be modified pretty readily to make a decent espresso grind. Failing that I will probably be looking for something on the used market like a Rancilio Rocky which I understand is pretty solid.

I had a KG79 that I did the mod on too, works well for pressurised portafilters but wont cut it with a regular basket.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

kemikalkadet posted:

I had a KG79 that I did the mod on too, works well for pressurised portafilters but wont cut it with a regular basket.

This would be like the Delonghi EC155, wouldnt it? Because thats another options Ive been considering since it looks like you can set it up with a PID pretty readily.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Just got this in the mail and I've done a Kalita and V60 cup with it: https://sweetbloomcoffee.com/collections/coffee/products/copy-of-abera-gedela

Holy poo poo, it smells like flowers. I also get distinct notes of blueberry and beef jerky. What.

Also, what travel mugs are generally recommended?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Munkaboo posted:

Just got this in the mail and I've done a Kalita and V60 cup with it: https://sweetbloomcoffee.com/collections/coffee/products/copy-of-abera-gedela

Holy poo poo, it smells like flowers. I also get distinct notes of blueberry and beef jerky. What.

Also, what travel mugs are generally recommended?

Beef jerky? Maybe leather?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Frankston posted:

Anyone here have or have used a Behmor Brazen Plus and could weigh in with any opinions? I'm looking for a quick and easy way to make a big batch of coffee in the morning to fill my thermos with and I've read in several places that the BBP is pretty good for the price (I can get one for £150 in the UK).

If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be glad to hear them also.

I've had one for 9 months and I really like it. There's a lot of little customization poo poo you can do with it, and it's comparable to a well-done pourover brew. Apparently it takes longer to brew than some other comparable brewers, but honestly it's perfect for me - wake up, weigh and grind beans, dump them and water in the BBP, hit start, take a shower - it generally finishes brewing right as I get out and I dump it in my yeti cup.

Just set aside some time to play with it when you first unbox it - once you get it dialed in it makes a fantastic pot everytime, but the initial setup is fiddly.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

CoffeeBooze posted:

This would be like the Delonghi EC155, wouldnt it? Because thats another options Ive been considering since it looks like you can set it up with a PID pretty readily.
Whoa there, full stop. The EC155 is an entry-level, throwaway machine. Putting a PID on it would be a massive waste of time and money and would only correct one of it's many design flaws. Don't bother with a PID unless you're putting it on something like a Gaggia Classic, Rancilio Silvia, Ascaso Dream, etc.

I've never seen a KG79 but the only spare parts available for them are case parts and burrs, so plan on throwing it away when it breaks. Buy a Baratza or a used Rocky.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

A PID setup for the EC155 costs about $30 to homebrew. Is it really so cheap its not worth the effort? For me its tempting since it would give me a chance to get my feet wet and try home brewing espresso before making a big purchase of a legit machine.

Do grinders break that frequently too? For my coffee Ive always used a bullet blender to grind beans so this is new territory for me. How big a concern is something breaking for a grinder that will be seeing nearly daily use?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

A PID setup for the EC155 costs about $30 to homebrew. Is it really so cheap its not worth the effort? For me its tempting since it would give me a chance to get my feet wet and try home brewing espresso before making a big purchase of a legit machine.

Do grinders break that frequently too? For my coffee Ive always used a bullet blender to grind beans so this is new territory for me. How big a concern is something breaking for a grinder that will be seeing nearly daily use?

I had to do a 4$ (plus shipping) repair on my $400 baratza grinder after uh, about 9 years of daily use

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Eureka Atom is quiet and Mrs Mango is totally happy about that. I figured out how to weigh my grounds so I don't miss the Sette scale so much.

The Sette really is a great design, and I'm sure it will undergo improvements and hopefully get some sound insulation. I just had a bad run. Baratza was cool and made things right, went and did some stuff they really didn't have to do.

I got a 20 gram VST basket, since the 18 was too small and the 22 too big. Strangely the 20 seems to want 22 grams of coffee. I also got a tamper to match since I was getting some side channeling with the freebie rocket tamper.

I wish I had more time every day to fiddle and fine tune but even my not great shots are better than just about anyplace I go commercially.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

CoffeeBooze posted:

The EC155 has a cheaper version of the Ulka pump that's in almost every consumer machine on the market; they like to get weak and die in 1-3 years instead of the normal 15-20. Replacing it is a $100 repair on a $80 machine (or $50-60 if you do it yourself). The inlet hose from the pump to the boiler goes into a brass fitting which has a locking nut on the inside of the boiler. The aluminum boiler. Bimetallic corrosion will eat away at that fitting pretty quickly then it will crack and leak from the pressure; I've seen it happen in as little as 6 months. To fix it requires pulling the boiler out and rebuilding it, which is at least another $100 in labor (on a $80 machine) and you'll get a new brass fitting that will eventually develop the same problem again. The pressure regulator on the pump likes to crack and leak everywhere, that's a cheap part but it's still a $50-60 repair. I'm gonna stop there cause 9 out of 10 of those that come in the front door of my shop go out the back door and into the dumpster and frankly I'm embarrassed for Delonghi for putting their name on them.

Ok so devil's advocate, maybe you get a unicorn that doesn't develop any of those problems in the first couple of years; you're still stuck with a tiny aluminum boiler, aluminum portafilter and pressurized baskets so good luck consistently making anything close to good espresso. The sad truth of the matter is, this really isn't a hobby you can get into cheaply if you actually want to make good coffee. If you can't drop at least $400 right now to get started, get a mokapot and some pre-ground instead and start saving. Depending on how much you're spending on coffee now that might only take a few months.

Good grinders rarely break, and when they do you can get them repaired. Cheap grinders don't perform very well even when they are working, they're more likely to break and have to be thrown away when they do.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

As Hauki said, a lot of these are built to last. I have had a Rocky since 2006 and was lazy about cleaning for the first two years. I've since gotten better, but it's been going strong since I've had it. I also just got a Baratza Vario, and chose that because it is user serviceable. Same thing with my Technivorm.

I was looking at getting an espresso machine for my office sometime in the future, but couldn't justify the cost of getting something other than a steam toy right (since I just bought a Vario and Technivorm). Some local guy just got a Marazocco and is looking to unload his Expobar Office Lever Plus for $1k. I heard about it through a friend that works at a local service and repair place, and he said the machine is immaculate. The guy is pretty OCD about descaling, backflushing, etc. So I contact him, tell him I'm on a budget, and we agree on $900. He says he buys too much coffee poo poo and doesn't have room so he's throwing in a Rocky (!), a bunch of cups, scale, bottomless portafilter, and knock box. SO I get to spend some time this week moving crap off of my desk to make room for this behemoth. My boss is about as excited as I am, since he is a coffee guy as well. All we had here was Keurig before I got my setup.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I would agree that the EC155 is a flawed platform to build off of, just not worth the investment. I'd say the same about any of the Delonghi Dedica/Pressurized range. If you want deal hunting, the aforementioned Classic, or on a reach a Gaggia OWC (Old White Coffee), though parts can be hard to find. This guy on reddit got one a couple months ago so they're still in the wild:
https://www.reddit.com/r/espresso/comments/6klcib/look_what_just_arrived_in_the_mail_gaggia_owc/

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

anyone know where I can get one of these cups

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/912812858731139072

El Disco posted:

For decoration, or do you hate yourself enough to actually use it?

Yes

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 27, 2017

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thwack the stem off a martini glass and make a base and handle out of clay :q:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

The Creature posted:

As Hauki said, a lot of these are built to last. I have had a Rocky since 2006 and was lazy about cleaning for the first two years. I've since gotten better, but it's been going strong since I've had it. I also just got a Baratza Vario, and chose that because it is user serviceable. Same thing with my Technivorm.

Out of curiosity, what cleaning/maintenance do you do on your rocky and how often? I'm pretty good at backflushing and cleaning my Silvia but all I've really done on my Rocky is take the spout off to clear grind buildup in the hole (only been using it for a couple months so far).

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

kemikalkadet posted:

Out of curiosity, what cleaning/maintenance do you do on your rocky and how often? I'm pretty good at backflushing and cleaning my Silvia but all I've really done on my Rocky is take the spout off to clear grind buildup in the hole (only been using it for a couple months so far).

I run Grindz through it every once in a while, and every 8ish months I take it apart and use canned air to blow it out. Since both of my Rockys are the doser models, I brush out the chute that empties into the dosing chamber. I've not replaced the burrs, and honestly there isn't really a difference between the one I just got that had them replaced and my original one. The new one needs a new cam spring for the doser handle, so I am either going to replace that or look at cutting a metal funnel and using that in the dosing chamber. It's going to be used for drip coffee anyway, since I am too lazy to change the grind between drip and espresso. I also took out the flat metal partial disk in the Rocky, and used electrical tape to even out the top of the fins. I am much happier with the doses now.

The Creature fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 27, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

El Disco posted:

I dunno about Krillin, but for my glasses I only get one of any type of each glass, so every single glass in my cupboard is unique and that gives me a little leeway to have a few intentionally stupid glasses in there

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno about Krillin, but for my glasses I only get one of any type of each glass, so every single glass in my cupboard is unique and that gives me a little leeway to have a few intentionally stupid glasses in there

I'll admit it does look unique, but to use it you'd want to only fill it like 3/4 full so you don't make a mess.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

CoffeeBooze posted:

I have the Flair and I love it. Posted about it about a month ago.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

El Disco posted:

I'll admit it does look unique, but to use it you'd want to only fill it like 3/4 full so you don't make a mess.

Pretty sure I'd make a mess every time I took a sip from that, it doesn't look like it's well designed to funnel fluids into your mouth very well.

e: is the dude in that pic wearing some kind of fingered oven glove?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I snagged an Aeropress at a friend's suggestion and love it, but I have a few questions. Admittedly I don't have the vocabulary, but hopefully I can get my point across.

Using a standard scoop full of ground beans and brew, what is being pressed into the mug isn't quite espresso but it is definitely more potent than just a normal cup of coffee, is that correct? I've been a K-Cup guy for a few years now since I'm the only one on my staff who drinks coffee. So if I brew with the Aeropress, I can then fill the mug up with more hot water to get something more akin to a K-Cup brew?

I saw a few write-ups say that to make two cups worth, just double the amount of grounds and then dilute the rest with hot water? How will that affect my flavor versus just doing two brews?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

^burtle posted:

I snagged an Aeropress at a friend's suggestion and love it, but I have a few questions. Admittedly I don't have the vocabulary, but hopefully I can get my point across.

Using a standard scoop full of ground beans and brew, what is being pressed into the mug isn't quite espresso but it is definitely more potent than just a normal cup of coffee, is that correct? I've been a K-Cup guy for a few years now since I'm the only one on my staff who drinks coffee. So if I brew with the Aeropress, I can then fill the mug up with more hot water to get something more akin to a K-Cup brew?

I saw a few write-ups say that to make two cups worth, just double the amount of grounds and then dilute the rest with hot water? How will that affect my flavor versus just doing two brews?

You can pad out the brew Americano style, by adding hot water separately afterward, which will be closer to a drip coffee style cup. That said, you should be able to make that cup with the aeropress too, unless you're saying it just doesn't hold enough water?

There's a bunch of recipes techniques here that might help out:
https://handground.com/grind/66-recipes-for-amazing-aeropress-coffee

It sounds like you're saying the coffee is coming out a bit sludgy/strong, have you tried adjusting your grind coarser so as to give less resistance to the water?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I haven't had any sludgy or strength issues, just looking for easy ways to increase my volume without sacrificing flavor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

I haven't had any sludgy or strength issues, just looking for easy ways to increase my volume without sacrificing flavor.

Eat a lot of celery.

wait what thread am I in

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

^burtle posted:

If you like your extraction it's hard to get more of it with volume constant. This will also depend on your aeropress method. If you don't invert maybe more coffee and doing some pseudo pourover to start will work, but you're just going to have to experiment.

Djimma
Aug 4, 2017

^burtle posted:

Best way to improve volume without sacrificing flavor is to dose much higher to extract just a smaller cup of coffee and dilute it with water.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If you like your extraction it's hard to get more of it with volume constant. This will also depend on your aeropress method. If you don't invert maybe more coffee and doing some pseudo pourover to start will work, but you're just going to have to experiment.

He's not an animal, of course he inverts.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I bought a bag of this stuff because Laphroaig make my favourite whisky so I just had to try it:

Tasting notes are peat, liquorice, barley. They're not far off, it's certainly one of the more unusual cups of coffee I've ever had.

Edit: Also my burps now taste like whisky which is great.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 4, 2017

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

What's the rationale behind inverting your aeropress? I've tried it a couple times and it does produce a noticeable difference but like, why? How does it do what it does?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kalsco posted:

What's the rationale behind inverting your aeropress? I've tried it a couple times and it does produce a noticeable difference but like, why? How does it do what it does?

You're just steeping the grounds longer. I just put the plunger in to seal it and prevent the water from dripping out. Don't have to do the fraught-with-danger inversion, and the result is 95% as good.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Both ways are fine, I get a more consistent cup doing inverted because there's no underextracted coffee in my cup before I start plunging. However, even though it's pretty easy not to gently caress up the inverted method, everyone does it at least once (if you haven't and you're scoffing right now I promise you will still do it) and it's a nightmare to clean up.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Kalsco posted:

What's the rationale to washing your hands after using the toilet? We are not animals after all!

Or, I think I get a better cup - I don't like the dripppppping that goes on with the standard method. Like RichterIX says, more consistent output. It's not like it requires circus level feats of skill to do it. And, I am not an animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oxo has come out with a temp controlled gooseneck. Worth a look at or no?