Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

One of the best things to help fix the world would be a detection algorithm for text imposed onto an image and to eliminate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I would never know about an upcoming event if I didn't have facebook. I just never read my wall or comments unless it's from people I give a poo poo about.

Yeah, Facebook serves 2 roles for me:

1. Upcoming Birthdays
2. Event notifications

I would have missed some good shows without the 'ole facebook

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Kalli posted:

One of the best things to help fix the world would be a detection algorithm for text imposed onto an image and to eliminate them.

What I find immensely annoying is some people have started doing this just to post poo poo they would normally post as simple text. As in, its just a status post, but pointlessly superimposed over a stock image.

Like what the hell is even the point of this? Just post it on your wall as text like a normal rear end person.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Jesus, gently caress.

Quit facebook. Avoid that toxic poo poo. Avoid the staggeringly aggressive data collection and information selling they participate it. Avoid what is at best a morally grey corporate behemoth flailing from one ethically dubious decision to the next. Avoid the system that empowers russian and far right propaganda. gently caress facebook.

I am actively rooting for FB to go down in flames wrt the Mueller investigation. Those fucks knowingly aided foreign agents to swing an election. gently caress Zuck forever and ever and ever.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

I really hate that image style.
They were both autoplay videos but you're point still stands.

The Muslim guy immigrated here from Pakistan and was like "Hey Colin I'm a person of a color but I stand for the flag!" and my eyes rolled back so loving hard. Way to miss the point buddy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

fishing with the fam posted:

What I find immensely annoying is some people have started doing this just to post poo poo they would normally post as simple text. As in, its just a status post, but pointlessly superimposed over a stock image.

Like what the hell is even the point of this? Just post it on your wall as text like a normal rear end person.

Thwarting the ad algorithms maybe

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Intruder posted:

Thwarting the ad algorithms maybe

they can read most normal fonts in images too though, so idk

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Oh god so the bots know about all my lovely memes

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I use it to look at pictures of my dog at doggie daycare. Here he is this morning.

Whoa dude is your dog my dog?

Here she is sleeping like an ~*~Angel~*~

e: Of the three books I ordered two of them showed up today and the third won't get here until October 26th. It's shipping from Minnesota, what the gently caress? I could walk there and back in that time.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 29, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Which one

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

What if all the NFL players kneeled then prayed? How many heads would explode?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Credit rating agencies are the most amazingly lovely industry in the country.

1. They have a product you HAVE to use
2. They have your information no matter what you do
3. They are the backbone of our consumer culture but have very little oversight
4. They have all the incentives in the world to gently caress you over at every opportunity
5. They fix "identity theft" for a fee of course while also being the cause of identity theft in the first place

American capitalism at its finest.

Right? So much of our fate is tied into a service that's basically the mafia. Poorly run, complete authority over you, controls your own money

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Echo Maker

It's fine I guess, I've got Nixonland and Art of Fielding to work through anyway.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

What if all the NFL players kneeled then prayed? How many heads would explode?

I like that a lot, actually

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I detest facebook. But it's the only place my sister posts her health updates, some of which are about my stepmom's fight with cancer. It's the only way I'm still connected to about a hundred people including former co-workers, people I knew in high school, extended family members, etc. I try to only check it maybe once a week at most, and to avoid the idiotic fights people I know get into. The thing it highlights the most is just how much better the discourse is on SA vs. everywhere else. There are still people on facebook hashing out the bernie vs. clinton battle in the most cliched ways possible, complete with poorly communicated ideas, references to things that never happened, inability to recognize sarcasm in text, etc. etc.

But it's a little bit like the credit reporting agencies really. Yes, you really can completely avoid credit, all you have to do is never use any card at all, cash your paychecks to cash and never bank, never rent or buy property, never borrow money, never invest in anything, and you're gold! Just like you can avoid facebook, all you have to do is never get invited to anything, insult all of your friends and coworkers by refusing their requests to friend them, never hear about important things you wanted to hear about from your family, and basically exclude yourself completely from modern social life.

There is a confluence of these two options and it's becoming a loving hermit. The prospect grows more attractive daily.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

That's the beauty of Facebook though. You can easily be a hermit despite all the dumb poo poo. Just avoid the wall.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

posts with media show up higher with ~The Algorithm~

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Leperflesh posted:

There is a confluence of these two options and it's becoming a loving hermit. The prospect grows more attractive daily.

Was seriously just thinking about this. I'm aggressively pushing for the social hermit option. I genuinely hate how easy it is for people to get ahold of me at all times of the day. The credit one I'm considering as well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just replaced the mass air flow sensor in my car. Anytime I do basic repairs or maintenance on my car I feel so god damned manly. Like, I now have the confidence that if I wanted to, I could strip down the engine to its barest essentials and rebuild it in an afternoon.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Just be so obnoxiously liberal that your conservative friends unfriend you first. :smug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

I just replaced the mass air flow sensor in my car. Anytime I do basic repairs or maintenance on my car I feel so god damned manly. Like, I now have the confidence that if I wanted to, I could strip down the engine to its barest essentials and rebuild it in an afternoon.

Yeah I went from fixing a knob in my truck in ~2006, to hanging out in AI and doing an automatic transmission replacement in my truck last year. Let me tell you, it feels super manly and you can save thousands of dollars, but also now I have shoulder impingement, so there are downsides.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Whoa dude is your dog my dog?

Your dog looks like its wearing a tiny hat

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/913792028026265605

*whistles*

This trump guy

Uh

I'm not so sure about him

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I was super conflicted about leaving at first, but as time went on I realized that I was operating on dumb assumptions. Namely, that I valued being connected with a shitload of people I never talked to for reasons of "losing contact"

Then I realized that everyone I care about has my number, email, and can easily get a hold of me, and if they wouldn't put in the effort... that kinda says a lot about our relationship. I certainly make it a point to reach out to friends and family and my social life is literally not different at all post :sever:

I still get my news in a timely and accurate fashion, the only difference is I'm not subjected to a torrent of bullshit every day. I still get updates on friends and family, but like, through talking to them. I might still become a hermit, but in the meantime family gatherings are far more tolerable when other people know you don't put up with the childish bullshit that's plastered loving everywhere on FB. There's more to talk about, too.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just uh rarely check my Facebook like a normal person

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i see a co-worker on facebook have a pro-standing av

i didn't want to hate said co-worker

y'all right about facebook

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone played Mafia 3? Any good? I liked the previous Mafias

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/cspan/status/913797695227285506

durrrrrrrrrr

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

There's plenty of reasons outside of the toxicity to not want to be on FB too tho, like how they collect and share data, aid hostile foreign governments in affecting elections, give audience to crazy people spreading misinformation, milking small businesses for extra cash, lovely business practices...

...their app...

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus loving Christ that guy is our president

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Do you think he knows what makes ocean water different from regular water?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Nobody has ever seen anything like this clip before.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Yeyy. The little brother showed up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/jkac/status/913590983404740613

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Yeah, I picked up the snes classic today. Didn't realize there was a Star Fox 2.

edit: also, hahahah at incels turning on each other. loving toxic shitlords.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/913792028026265605

*whistles*

This trump guy

Uh

I'm not so sure about him

Look, this is easy. Just hand over every last resource, utility, and asset to my cronies these fine leaders of industry, and we'll give you a pittance indentured servitude aid.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

CyberPingu posted:

Yeyy. The little brother showed up

Hows star fox 2? I have a retropie and that's the only thing that intrigues me

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Then I realized that everyone I care about has my number, email, and can easily get a hold of me, and if they wouldn't put in the effort... that kinda says a lot about our relationship. I certainly make it a point to reach out to friends and family and my social life is literally not different at all post :sever:

Yeah my issue is I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat when it comes to staying in touch with my friends and family. And my family members who I've begged to text or email or call me when for example they are about to have surgery besides just posting it on facebook fail to do so, but I can't cut these people off either, they're just well-meaning but unable to break the facebook habit. And I totally forgive them that because I have similar lovely habits. So my current approach is

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I just uh rarely check my Facebook like a normal person

and it works pretty well, mostly. Except for when I find out my sister is having surgery three days after it happened.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Got banned from FB for trolling 4 years ago, never fought it, nor made another account, and never looked back

*50-50s a four stair handrail while blasting TSOL*

Laters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone played Mafia 3? Any good? I liked the previous Mafias

Yeah, it's mixed, because while the story and story missions are fantastic, there's too much filler inbetween . The way it works is there's 9 areas with a major storyline mission and 2 lieutenants. To open up each lieutenant you have to go around the district doing random filler missions (steal cash from this place, destroy their supplies, kill these enforcers, tail this car around, etc..).

That said, the story is fantastic, there's a lot of really good characters, and if you have ever wanted to drive around New Orleans blasting Fortunate Son, stopping only to chuck molotovs into white only diners, then buddy, this game is for you. Plus enemies have this in-between step where they're not dead, but they're counted as dead, so they're just rolling around moaning and screaming in agony and buddy, never have you wanted to empty shotguns into kneecaps more to see that happen.

The actual story missions are great as you do stuff like dose a party with LSD and burn a Klan leader on a cross.

• Locked thread