Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

art is for liberal faggots the alt-right is mostly STEM worshipping brain geniuses who could totally program the next windows if their moms didn't make them take their butt poop pills and all the colleges weren't exclusively letting in minorities

Most of the stem worshipping brain geniuses I know are self described libertarians who don't like trump but are also very concerned about the rise of radical Islam and sexual assault statistics in Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also they usually suck at the stem part

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

God drat I hate those guys. Relitigating "no, it's not a joke, and even if it is it's never been a funny or interesting one" to edgy punks has been a constant conversation in my life

I'm speakong specifically of this new breed.
In that case, I think the last good fascist art was Leni Riefenstahl, Ezra Pound, and arguably Rudolf Hess, and before that it was the Futurists.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Early punk rock had a lot of crossover with fascist street gangs, and I think that's when "skinhead" went from a certain group of the working class to a synonym for "Nazi." Even Ian Curtis of was obsessed with Nazis and Nazi paraphernalia, and "Joy Division" came from the place in concentration camps where Nazis kept sex slaves.
Today we associate punk with left activism, but I think that came later; The Decline of Western Civilization shows a lot of people who are simply aware that they're the dregs of bourgeois society and are descending into nihilism. Mick Jones had to explain, decades later, why he was in a band called London SS if he wasn't a Nazi. It was just the most offensive poo poo they could think of.

TomViolence posted:

Hilariously, Boyd Rice was even into tiki bars for some reason,
That makes perfect sense. Tiki bars are pure kitschy Americana, and he loves that kind of thing, much like Kenneth Anger (who is also openly racist).

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Futurism's an interesting art movement, in that early on, at least up until the Italo-Abyssinian war, it had a sizeable left wing contingent and over the years its currency among the right waned as Italian fascism moved away from embracing modernity and turned to a sort of nostalgic neoclassicism. Rather than being solely the preserve of the right wing, I think futurism had more to do with mass politics in general and the radical, transformative possibilities of technology in previously backward, peasant societies. It's probably for this reason it was also a movement in Russia for a time. Either way once the actual transformation was exhausted and society stabilised again, the agents of change seemed to lose interest in that kind of dynamism.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
Edit: Eh never mind

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tiki bars are white supremacist as hell

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

prefect posted:

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

How was his hair?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"I do that sometimes" - Matt on showering

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I like Martin Denny, am I racist.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
gently caress I love when Derek Davidson stop by

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Today we associate punk with left activism, but I think that came later; The Decline of Western Civilization shows a lot of people who are simply aware that they're the dregs of bourgeois society and are descending into nihilism. Mick Jones had to explain, decades later, why he was in a band called London SS if he wasn't a Nazi. It was just the most offensive poo poo they could think of.).

It wasn't later. Look at Crass. It's just that in punk, both then and today there are two strands. The ones in it for offense and the more left-anarchist leaning ones.

It's how you have queer bands offering open spaces to be as trans or fluid as you want, and bands with rapists who get defended.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

sometimes they're even the same band!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

sometimes they're even the same band!

Except for the "getting defended" part. I've never seen a band crash and burn harder and faster than PWR BTTM

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

lmao totally. I had to make that joke but realistically outside of that horror story they tend to be semi-far apart

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/carriesymonds/status/913326646895300608

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/wheatretard/status/913429734117212160/

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I think Derek's wrong on the Jones act, it's designed so that only American ships can go between American ports, not that only American ships can use American ports. So for example shipping from NY to Florida can only be done by American built/owned/crewed ships, but China to California can be done by international ships. I think. I might be wrong; I'm very dumb.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

padijun posted:

I think Derek's wrong on the Jones act, it's designed so that only American ships can go between American ports, not that only American ships can use American ports. So for example shipping from NY to Florida can only be done by American built/owned/crewed ships, but China to California can be done by international ships. I think. I might be wrong; I'm very dumb.

This was my understanding as well

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

padijun posted:

Yeah that's it, but it's also as part of an itinerary. Hawaii for instance gets hosed by the Jones act. All those ships from china can't make a stop in Honolulu and then proceed to Long Beach so good to Hawaii have to be reloaded on a us flagged shipped and shipped back across the pacific.

Where it matters in Puerto Rico is that foreign flagged ships can't load relief supplies from the US mainland then go to Puerto Rico.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yeah that's it, but it's also as part of an itinerary. Hawaii for instance gets hosed by the Jones act. All those ships from china can't make a stop in Honolulu and then proceed to Long Beach so good to Hawaii have to be reloaded on a us flagged shipped and shipped back across the pacific.

Where it matters in Puerto Rico is that foreign flagged ships can't load relief supplies from the US mainland then go to Puerto Rico.

Foreign flagged ships can visit multiple US ports in a row and load/unload at each. The trick that screws Hawaii is that they can't carry US-US bound cargo on those ships. So goods from China could be dropped off on the way to Long Beach, but they couldn't pickup Mainland bound anything. More problematic is the reverse trip, since Hawaiian exports have fallen anyway.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Seb's now basically subtweeting Adomian's impression.

https://twitter.com/JAdomian/status/913615615188918273

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
:ssh: Will, Puerto Rico is not an "island nation".

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The Jones Act requires that vessels transporting cargo between two US points be built in the United States, crewed by American citizens, and at least 75% owned by American citizens. It props up a lot of well-paid blue collar jobs in shipping and also discourages tax dodging by, say, flagging your vessels under Panama. The flip side, of course, is that it can be cheaper to transport goods from, as an example, Texas to a Canadian port instead of from Texas to Baltimore, encouraging international trade at the expense of domestic markets.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 29, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Neon Belly posted:

The Jones Act requires that vessels transporting cargo between two US points be built in the United States, crewed by American citizens, and at least 75% owned by American citizens. It props up a lot of well-paid blue collar jobs and also discourages tax dodging by, say, flagging your vessels under Panama.

Isn't there some ludicrously huge percentage of shipping vessels that are flagged as Liberian, so they can dodge taxes?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

prefect posted:

Isn't there some ludicrously huge percentage of shipping vessels that are flagged as Liberian, so they can dodge taxes?

Panama is responsible for almost a quarter of all flagged ships in the world, followed by Liberia and to a lesser extend the Marshall Islands and the Bahamas. Other than the tax dodge, regulations also tend to be laxer in these countries, allowing ships that would never get past American/European inspectors to operate.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 29, 2017

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Duncan is the most underappreciated poster on the entire internet and I'm glad he has a real job and doesn't spend all day online.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Felix liked this tweet. Someone explain it to me.

https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/913548936920498176

Serf
May 5, 2011

prefect posted:

Felix liked this tweet. Someone explain it to me.

https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/913548936920498176

seems like that person has bad videogames opinions

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/913551872199245824

There are not "several hours" worth of ranch hand missions and you don't have to start with all of them either. Plus in 2018 I feel it's even more likely that a company would try something weird like that but I'm not a big time gamer.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/913551872199245824

There are not "several hours" worth of ranch hand missions and you don't have to start with all of them either. Plus in 2018 I feel it's even more likely that a company would try something weird like that but I'm not a big time gamer.

Nah, you're right and the tweet is wrong.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah that just sounds like some bitter gamer making a THE CORPORATIONS argument because Rockstar sells imaginary GTA money for real cash.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Video Game's

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Video game geeks seem to want to imagine that studios are artist colonies run by and for fellow geeks that lovingly give birth to masterpieces. That's an idealistic view even of the smaller-scale tabletop game business, let alone video games with 8 and 9 figure budgets.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Video Games

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dinosaurs! posted:

Yeah that just sounds like some bitter gamer making a THE CORPORATIONS argument because Rockstar sells imaginary GTA money for real cash.

I'd argue it's more because GTA has always been the most clumsy, hamfisted, poorly done, 'social commentary' but 5 takes it even further by straight up having torture and poo poo be a thing you do between bouts of radio shows that boil down to "I'M A CELEB BUT I'M SOOOO DUMB" "HAHA WE LOVE YOU EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE SOOOOO DUMB" and somehow it got praised for being 'deep' because of it. Red Dead was a very slow, carefully paced, game where story and character development was kinda important and I literally cannot remember any GTA characters beyond a few names and the fact that Lamar was the one who did the "Nigga~" scene that made the internet love any chance to repost it for a month.

It's not so much that THE EVIL CORPORATION will crush the PURE ARTISTIC VISION as it is that Rockstar is genuinely terrible at writing and RDR was a lightning in a bottle situation that any attempt to redo will almost certainly suck.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Also it doesn't help that RDR didn't get a PC port and so now is trapped on an effectively dead console.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

I'd argue it's more because GTA has always been the most clumsy, hamfisted, poorly done, 'social commentary' but 5 takes it even further by straight up having torture and poo poo be a thing you do between bouts of radio shows that boil down to "I'M A CELEB BUT I'M SOOOO DUMB" "HAHA WE LOVE YOU EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE SOOOOO DUMB" and somehow it got praised for being 'deep' because of it. Red Dead was a very slow, carefully paced, game where story and character development was kinda important and I literally cannot remember any GTA characters beyond a few names and the fact that Lamar was the one who did the "Nigga~" scene that made the internet love any chance to repost it for a month.

It's not so much that THE EVIL CORPORATION will crush the PURE ARTISTIC VISION as it is that Rockstar is genuinely terrible at writing and RDR was a lightning in a bottle situation that any attempt to redo will almost certainly suck.

Also, was already a huge corproration by the time RDR rolled out. The bitterness here is definitely directed at how they write (GTAV only started growing once it started adding more modes where you could ignore the plot) and not like the recent mod hubbub.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sexpig by night posted:

Their radio interviews with the liberal candidate for governor are very bad attempts at parody. They do a better job with the conservative guy.

Also, the idea of a proud-Southern-person game called "Pride, not Prejudice" is a fantastic one. :heritage:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Video game geeks seem to want to imagine that studios are artist colonies run by and for fellow geeks that lovingly give birth to masterpieces. That's an idealistic view even of the smaller-scale tabletop game business, let alone video games with 8 and 9 figure budgets.

Nationalize video games.