Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The argument goes they don't want you to gang up against random kids but then then there is no foundation for playing with friends in 1v1 games soooooo

What you're looking for is in private matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The Nintendo Switch GOTY (the GOAT) Steamworld: Dig 2 has a new icon. Didn't think it was possible to improve the game but there it is

Apparently this is becoming a thing because people really like how big the Switch's game icons are and how detailed they can be so there's a fair bit of disappointment and irritation when a game just copies over the same boring icon from the PS4 or Xbox. A fair few icons have gotten changed or devs have said they're going to change it because turns out icons designed for small boxes don't look that great when in big boxes on a big TV.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm trying to remember two games from the GBC era that Golf Story has me thinking about. They were a fishing RPG and a golf RPG. Am I member actual games?

Is this the fishing game?

I always loved the art style in this game when I saw it in ads. Never played it but I've heard it's good and they made sequels.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Does the text in Golf Story feel out of place to anyone else? I mean the actual font. Everything else is all authentic 16-bit and then the text is all super sharp and high resolution.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Here's how Splatoon goes down:

Turf War - friends can join friends, but there's no guarantee you're gonna be on the same team.

Ranked - solo queue only

League - either 2-squid or 4-squid lobbies only. There's no option for three friends to queue up and fill in the fourth slot with a stranger.

Salmon Run - you can start a lobby, fill as many of the four slots as you can, and fill the rest with strangers.

Private Match - up to eight friends, anything goes.

Splatfest - either solo queue or 4-squid lobbies, there's no option for two or three friends to queue together.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 29, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dr Cheeto posted:

What you're looking for is in private matches

For FIFA?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Wrong game, sorry

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm trying to remember two games from the GBC era that Golf Story has me thinking about. They were a fishing RPG and a golf RPG. Am I member actual games?
Mario Golf GBC existed (Camelot made it - that's the Golden Sun guys - along with Mario Tennis GBA)

as did Legend of the River King (Natsume made that between Harvest Moons) which is probably the other you're thinking of

efb

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr Cheeto posted:

Private Match - up to eight friends, anything goes.

Up to ten, if two friends are into just watching! No judgment here

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Playing SMW right now. I love this game so much you guys.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Imagined posted:

Does the text in Golf Story feel out of place to anyone else? I mean the actual font. Everything else is all authentic 16-bit and then the text is all super sharp and high resolution.

It bothered me a little a little at first (the menus still do) but the work they do with the text pretty much means that they needed to use an existing vector font; the other option would be to develop a bunch of different versions of an 16-bit font to handle all the styles and size changes they do. They're a small indie dev team, so I can't really fault them for taking a shortcut.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Super Mario world....now? Or am I mistaking it with a different SMW :ohdear:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Rolo posted:

I feel like PS4 balances this well by putting you against a team that also has a party or 2 and so on.

Does the switch just not have the online presence yet to pull that off? It's a little disappointing but we'll probably still end up getting it. Me and friends liked overwatch on PS4 and were looking forward to a cartoony chill shooter we can play when I'm living in hotels for work.
Nintendo was extremely nervous the first time around about the original game not having enough people so matchmaking was set to World for everyone and it took a while for them to start putting things in like don't let a level 50 match with a level 3 player. Ranked modes anyone with the same letter rank (-A,A,A+) still match together while in this game they're separated. Now we have regional default match making and the game tries a lot harder to find people at your level.

Splatoon 2 has jumped forward closer to the modern age but has still a few quirks with all this. You'll be able to find and yell at your friends once you get all into it and get a grasp of it all. Part of this is Nintendo :v: with a couple of on purpose decisions that may be proving to be correct (no fixed turf war teams & Salmon Run windows)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The font for the dialogue isn't so bad. And you are right, they do a lot of creative things with its pacing, size, and delivery.

The font when you complete a challenge doesn't match the aesthetic at all.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

RoboFrance_29 posted:

Super Mario world....now? Or am I mistaking it with a different SMW :ohdear:

Yup. I just got home with my SNES Classic and I'm playing the only game I owned for the console when I was a kid.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Manky posted:

Up to ten, if two friends are into just watching! No judgment here

Are spectators available in online private matches? I thought it was just at The Shoal.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr Cheeto posted:

Are spectators available in online private matches? I thought it was just at The Shoal.

Can't say I've used it myself but have seen it in online tourneys. https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/157089886124/eureka-weve-just-discovered-a-breakthrough-in

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dr Cheeto posted:

League - either 2-squid or 4-squid lobbies only. There's no option for three friends to queue up and fill in the fourth slot with a stranger.

So me and one other could team up against 2 others in competitive like we can in rocket league?

I really hope they make partying more modern by the time a smash (hopefully) comes out.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Rolo posted:

So me and one other could team up against 2 others in competitive like we can in rocket league?

You would be paired up with another group of 2 to make a full team, but yes.

(You would only face similar 2+2 teams, though, you wouldn't face a premade group of 4)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Stan Taylor posted:

How are the sports games on here? Is that MLB game aby good? I feel like playing out a season for some reason.

The presentation is pretty bare bones but the baseball is fine. Turn on outfielder assist though, because the camera doesn't move fast enough when a ball is hit for you to react.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FF15 Fishing Switch when?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

Does anyone know what the multiplayer on Golf Story is like? Specifically I want to know if there's co-op. I thought I saw a passing mention of co-op somewhere on the internet but I can't find any more information about it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

njsykora posted:

Apparently this is becoming a thing because people really like how big the Switch's game icons are and how detailed they can be so there's a fair bit of disappointment and irritation when a game just copies over the same boring icon from the PS4 or Xbox. A fair few icons have gotten changed or devs have said they're going to change it because turns out icons designed for small boxes don't look that great when in big boxes on a big TV.

Are the PS4 icons not large?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

agscala posted:

Does anyone know what the multiplayer on Golf Story is like? Specifically I want to know if there's co-op. I thought I saw a passing mention of co-op somewhere on the internet but I can't find any more information about it.

I believe it's just that you can play the golf courses you have unlocked against each other.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwnxDLvkIUE

Here is a video of it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The reason league mode is only 2 or four teams is because being the fourth player to a group of three or getting an idiot as your fourth to your three group sucks in every game that allows it. 2 groups only get paired with other two groups in an attempt to keep the teams on even communication grounds because communication does give a big advantage in a 4v4 game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FF15 will take as much time to come on Switch as FF15 did for PS4. The director already has begun the jerkoff cycle where he's stated and then rescinded poo poo like 5 times about a Switch version. Squeenix is a loving mess, or the AAA games are at least.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

DLC Inc posted:

REMINDING YOURSELF THAT OVERCONFIDENCE IS A SLOW AND INSIDIOUS KILLER...WOULD BE PERFECT FOR THE SWITCH

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/913778264547528704

:woop: :woop: :woop:

I know this game isn't for everyone, but it probably makes it on my top 10 games list of all time. Pretty awesome it is coming to the Switch.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Rolo posted:

I really hope they make partying more modern by the time a smash (hopefully) comes out.

Nah, it's still 4v4, it's just that each team is composed of two pairs of friends. It's nice.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

I know this game isn't for everyone, but it probably makes it on my top 10 games list of all time. Pretty awesome it is coming to the Switch.

same, I could play it forever and never get sick of it. I think I had like 200 ingame weeks logged in my hamlet just because I wanted to do everything and beat all the bosses

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hopefully never because I only want to play it in VR and hang out with my friend Noctis.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DLC Inc posted:

REMINDING YOURSELF THAT OVERCONFIDENCE IS A SLOW AND INSIDIOUS KILLER...WOULD BE PERFECT FOR THE SWITCH

:dance: YESSSSSSS

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Is this the fishing game?

I always loved the art style in this game when I saw it in ads. Never played it but I've heard it's good and they made sequels.

just lolling if Nintendo doesn't make a new legend of the river king

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DLC Inc posted:

holy gently caress

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Is Thimbleweed Park on the switch any good? The trailer looks fun but haven't really played any point and click adventure games for a long time.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Imagined posted:

It surprises me when people say stuff like this. The game is not 16 bit, the sprites clip through every available pixel on the screen, trees wave in the breeze.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Stupid question but does the Switch work with wireless bluetooth headphones? Bought a cheap pair for $20 and didn't even think to check if the Switch would even work with them.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Louisgod posted:

Stupid question but does the Switch work with wireless bluetooth headphones? Bought a cheap pair for $20 and didn't even think to check if the Switch would even work with them.
No.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Louisgod posted:

Nope. No Bluetooth hardware is in the Switch.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
+1 with all the Darkest Dungeon hype. I was just thinking the other day about REALLY wanting the game to be put on the Switch.

I keep never finishing it on PC. I kick started the game far enough to get early access.... and have yet to ever play super far in it. Every time I stop playing for a day or two I stop playing for 2-3 months... then I go back and just start over from the beginning again instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Darkest Dungeon is another good game! I never played it much after it left early access, but I'll probably buy it again just because I want to make progress.

imnotinsane posted:

Is Thimbleweed Park on the switch any good? The trailer looks fun but haven't really played any point and click adventure games for a long time.

I don't regret my time with it, but the back half through the finale feels kind of hollow and bad. Maybe watch the first or second chapter and see if the humor works for you.

• Locked thread