Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not at all scientific marketing studies point that younger people are less interested in dealing with other humans while shopping while older customers, who prefer humans, are more likely to have negative experiences/report negative experiences with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
By the same token, I'm more likely to have negative experiences with online shopping.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mozi posted:

By the same token, I'm more likely to have negative experiences with online shopping.

Per interaction its higher for old people, in addition to total volume. A presentation I sat through encouraged the retail businesses to pay retail employees more as they would be facing the brunt of abuse from customers.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

what do you like about retail

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If my grocery store job was as cushy and well paid as office work i wouldnt have quit. It's good honest labor

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I'm an anxious mess and extremely bad with interacting with people but I love shopping irl and I like the experience, even grocery shopping. I'm broken??

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

got any sevens posted:

If my grocery store job was as cushy and well paid as office work i wouldnt have quit. It's good honest labor

In my weaker moments I occasionally miss waiting tables/bartending. There are absolutely drawbacks, and it's most definitely not for everyone, but it can be really great money for very little effort, if you're lucky you get free food, and it can even be fun sometimes.

However, I still have occasional nightmares about being horribly in the weeds, being *this* close to going home and getting hit with a mountain of sidework or a last minute pop, dealing with a horrible customer, or having to carry a very full martini glass through a very large, busy dining room, and they tend to snap me back to reality pretty quick.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
All shopping is bad. Retail has poor selection and is usually overpriced for the quality, online shopping makes you play the "will the package be left in the hallway for anyone to steal? Will I have to pick it up from the post office? Will they actually manage to deliver it normally?" dance.

It's telling that for as hard as Amazon's been trying to lock down their shipping game, they won it by letting you go 'gently caress this' and having them deliver your stuff to a secure locker.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Crow Jane posted:

or having to carry a very full martini glass through a very large, busy dining room, and they tend to snap me back to reality pretty quick.

I can barely maneuver a full martini glass from the table to my mouth, let alone anything more.

Seriously, those things are just a bad idea.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Mozi posted:

I can barely maneuver a full martini glass from the table to my mouth, let alone anything more.

Seriously, those things are just a bad idea.

I would sometimes psych myself out so badly my hand would start to violently shake. Martinis are the worst but I still sometimes order them when I go out

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, this is incredibly true. A while back I was looking for a battery case for my iPhone 6s+. I wanted to make sure it would accept a full 2A charge, rather than a more standard 1A.

Good loving luck trying to find that, when most sellers would spam all sorts of keywords in their products, and no "FAST CHARGING" case was more than 1A.

Search with Google first, then search Amazon for that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I like going into stores, holding things, and then buying them

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

In my weaker moments I occasionally miss waiting tables/bartending. There are absolutely drawbacks, and it's most definitely not for everyone, but it can be really great money for very little effort, if you're lucky you get free food, and it can even be fun sometimes.

However, I still have occasional nightmares about being horribly in the weeds, being *this* close to going home and getting hit with a mountain of sidework or a last minute pop, dealing with a horrible customer, or having to carry a very full martini glass through a very large, busy dining room, and they tend to snap me back to reality pretty quick.

i always had a lot of fun working foodservice and if i was independently wealthy i'd do it forever, because the only parts of it i didn't like was having the money anxiety

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just buy raw materials in bulk and craft your own items, avoid the whole shopping and manufacturing middle men.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Baronjutter posted:

Just buy raw materials in bulk and craft your own items, avoid the whole shopping and manufacturing middle men.
Who are you buying these raw materials from, you scrub?

Anything but foraging and/or plundering is for chumps.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Edge & Christian posted:

Who are you buying these raw materials from, you scrub?

Anything but foraging and/or plundering is for chumps.

If I had the space/resources to saw and plane my own lumber and avoid the recently insane lumber prices I would :(

A total lack of any retail having any book shelves close to what I wanted actually did drive me into learning some basic carpentry and now I've been making a lot of simple but functional furniture. All ends up being a bit cheaper than retail, except you're getting solid wood rather than particle board crap. It's a great deal, if you discount the 50 hours of grueling labour you put into making the loving thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

paragon1 posted:

thinking about it, like is probably too strong a word. its more like i prefer just going to the shop to get what i need rather then wait for it to be shipped

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Haifisch posted:

All shopping is bad. Retail has poor selection and is usually overpriced for the quality, online shopping makes you play the "will the package be left in the hallway for anyone to steal? Will I have to pick it up from the post office? Will they actually manage to deliver it normally?" dance.

It's telling that for as hard as Amazon's been trying to lock down their shipping game, they won it by letting you go 'gently caress this' and having them deliver your stuff to a secure locker.

Counterpoint: not all shopping is bad, and many stores often have what I need

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Aliexpress, Ebay, and Amazon have better selection for a number of things that I can't find here without stupid markups. The only reason I purchase hydroponic supplies from the store I work at is due to the 40% discount I get.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I like going into stores, holding things, and then buying them
You can still do this and save money at amazon and hell, maybe they'll same-day ship it!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Amazon has cheaper books for my grad school program and I truly appreciate that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

paragon1 posted:

I like buying cool poo poo

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cicero posted:

I like buying cool poo poo

I asked what they like about retail, not amazon.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sometimes there is cool poo poo at B&M retail places too. I saw lots of cool shops in Prague last week, some of which I bought stuff from.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The best thing about retail is that you can try clothes on in the shop to get an idea of your fit in that brand, and then go home and order everything online because they only had jeans that fit you in lime green.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Cool except when people say retail they mean big national chains, not Pan Svoboda's Custom Dildo Tailoring Emporium.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BarbarianElephant posted:

The best thing about retail is that you can try clothes on in the shop to get an idea of your fit in that brand, and then go home and order everything online because they only had jeans that fit you in lime green.

Hahaha, this is so true. This is like a law of nature.

"Yes, of course we only stock things in styles people won't actually want to buy because they are hideous and fit like garbage! Why aren't people shopping here????"

While bitching about clothes shopping: I skip leg day all the loving time and skinny jeans are sometimes so skinny I can't fit my loving legs in them. Who's buying those jeans? Who can possibly fit in them?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

paragon1 posted:

Cool except when people say retail they mean big national chains, not Pan Svoboda's Custom Dildo Tailoring Emporium.
Of course the flip side is that unless you live near/in a big city, 99% of the retail you have access to is chains.

Pretty much every small-town 'downtown' strip I've seen is a ghost town. The ones that aren't revitalized themselves with mostly restaurants and the occassional higher-end shop. There's just not a lot of room for mom n' pop shops between big box stores and online shopping, unless you live somewhere with the population density to support them.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Pretty much every small-town 'downtown' strip I've seen is a ghost town. The ones that aren't revitalized themselves with mostly restaurants and the occassional higher-end shop. There's just not a lot of room for mom n' pop shops between big box stores and online shopping, unless you live somewhere with the population density to support them.
Also part of that is the development pattern where in small towns everything outside that little downtown strip is hyper low-density sprawly wasteland, and even the downtown strip itself is still covered in a bajillion parking spots. Hurts the downtown character and pushes people to chains.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cicero posted:

Also part of that is the development pattern where in small towns everything outside that little downtown strip is hyper low-density sprawly wasteland, and even the downtown strip itself is still covered in a bajillion parking spots. Hurts the downtown character and pushes people to chains.

No poo poo, it's a small town, by definition there's not much there. It's not like it would be any better if there was less parking. They also ddon't really have a downtown by definition again, just the one place in town that there's any sort of density.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

Hahaha, this is so true. This is like a law of nature.

"Yes, of course we only stock things in styles people won't actually want to buy because they are hideous and fit like garbage! Why aren't people shopping here????"

While bitching about clothes shopping: I skip leg day all the loving time and skinny jeans are sometimes so skinny I can't fit my loving legs in them. Who's buying those jeans? Who can possibly fit in them?

Try hitting the big and tall section. Anything you actually want to wear either doesn't exist in your size, is terribly tailored, or has been out of stock since 1993.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm curious to know where all these fat people clothes micro blogs are.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm curious to know where all these fat people clothes micro blogs are.

Instagram mostly, same with all the other niche fashion stuff. Racked is a nice aggregator for this kind of thing.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i can't wait until amazon jacks their prices to the moon after they've put everyone else out of business

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

call to action posted:

i can't wait until amazon jacks their prices to the moon after they've put everyone else out of business

Their prices are comparable/higher to places like Target already. They are just more convenient.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

call to action posted:

This is literally what one of owners of a private hedge fund that has sunk over $18 million into Amazon stock has said.

Someone asked him why they kept increasing their Amazon stock in their holdings, even though the stock was getting more expensive and Amazon's profits were low because they sink all their money back into the company.

He said that, eventually, they are going to be the only ones left and run out of new ideas to send all their cash, so they will jack up their prices and make a much healthier profit. Therefore, his company is going to keep buying more and more Amazon stock because even at these huge prices it's a discount.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
If Amazon gets too expensive, there are certainly competitors. Walmart springs to mind currently, for a lot of the random poo poo you can get on Amazon. As a thrifty housewife, I recommend Walmart online for buying soap'n'stuff.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BarbarianElephant posted:

If Amazon gets too expensive, there are certainly competitors. Walmart springs to mind currently, for a lot of the random poo poo you can get on Amazon. As a thrifty housewife, I recommend Walmart online for buying soap'n'stuff.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh wow didn't know this thread was full of Walmart devotees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

Oh wow didn't know this thread was full of Walmart devotees

One person made one post.