Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm kind of curious what you guys consider spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

morestuff posted:

I'm kind of curious what you guys consider spoilers

According to the reviews, these are central plot elements that are revealed right at the beginning; but some might see them as fairly big spoilers:

Edited because folks were accidentally spoiling themselves. But really, it's something that is revealed apparently in like the first 5 minutes and reviewers are taking it for granted that it's known as a general plot synopsis so don't be surprised if you get spoiled some other way.

Danger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 29, 2017

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
The Evening Standard gave the film a glowing 5/5 star review without spoiling anything.

There's an online version here.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
drat, that Telegraph review:

quote:

[O]ne of the most spectacular, provocative, profound and spiritually staggering blockbusters of our time....[h]alf a week after seeing it, I still can’t quite believe it exists....in the foyer afterwards, I felt like I’d just seen the last blockbuster ever made.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've managed my expectations so well for so long...don't make me raise the bar so close to release, reviewers

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Danger posted:

:stare:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Any reviews mentioning the score? I know it won't compare to the original's but it's distressing to me we haven't heard anything outside of the trailers which could very well be trailer specific music.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Cacator posted:

Any reviews mentioning the score? I know it won't compare to the original's but it's distressing to me we haven't heard anything outside of the trailers which could very well be trailer specific music.

The impression I've gotten is that it's sparse, allowing the excellent sound design to do a lot of work, and relies heavily on Vangelis.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I have yet to see any review claim that the movie is anything less than an artistic marvel. I have difficulty believing that it will equal its predecessor, but I am hyped.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Danger posted:

Please, please, please.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

QuoProQuid posted:

I have yet to see any review claim that the movie is anything less than an artistic marvel. I have difficulty believing that it will equal its predecessor, but I am hyped.

I get the feeling reading reviews that it will but in a different way. Like the original was a small story told in small parts of a larger world, but this one seems to expand the scope while asking the same questions about what it means to be human.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Danger posted:

Welp just read a review this morning that drops a pretty big spoiler right at the outset. If that sort of thing bothers you, you may want to avoid.
Seriously, proceed with caution. I've now been spoiled on things that may or may not be revealed early in the film, but that I would have nevertheless preferred to have learned while watching.

Regardless, the general takeaway seems to be a collective "Holy crap it's awesome!!!" And I'm not sure that there's much to be gained from reading individual reviews aside from specific (and potentially spoilery) reasons why.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

get hype

https://i.imgur.com/F3X6lXL.mp4

But seriously, I'm probs gonna have to duck out of this thread/life to go into this thing clean.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I accidentally moused over the spoiler and now I'm sad.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

Same. Seriously why are we even putting spoilers with spoiler tags itt?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This movie is going to suck rear end

hype always ends poorly

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey Danger, maybe delete your post because ^^^

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Hey Danger, maybe delete your post because ^^^

I editted it. I'm not sure info that's widely available in the marketing press is really off limits for discussion and it's gonna be asinine to have two Blade Runner threads, one for spoilers. Really though, go on lockdown if you want nothing because a ton of reviewers are just taking for granted that it's a generic plot detail to include. I'll be shocked if most people make it a week without seeing it without an internet blackout.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, that confirms it. I don't want this to be me. I'm out of the thread. Glanced at a couple reviews earlier that specifically said they were spoiler free, but if I keep playing with fire I'm gonna get burned. No more BR talk for me until next Sunday.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I spoiled myself too, but tbh it was one of those things that was screamingly obvious anyway, so... :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You guys might want to bookmark all your forums directly, there's an excellent chance FYAD will spoil the movie in the forum title.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Bye bye thread. See you in a couple of weeks.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Danger posted:

The impression I've gotten is that it's sparse, allowing the excellent sound design to do a lot of work, and relies heavily on Vangelis.

you mean it literally uses Vangelis' music? or it just builds on their themes/style?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It probably sounds like the score and uses the same theme.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Danger posted:

I editted it. I'm not sure info that's widely available in the marketing press is really off limits for discussion and it's gonna be asinine to have two Blade Runner threads, one for spoilers. Really though, go on lockdown if you want nothing because a ton of reviewers are just taking for granted that it's a generic plot detail to include. I'll be shocked if most people make it a week without seeing it without an internet blackout.

This. We don't need a second thread, people can post spoilers behind tags in here from reviews. If you don't want to get spoiled just stay out of the thread for now.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

DeafNote posted:

you mean it literally uses Vangelis' music? or it just builds on their themes/style?

It utilizes main parts of it. Zimmer did the theme.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't know what I'm more surprised about: that the movie is getting rave reviews or that Harrison Ford gives a strong performance. Wow, I had almost completely written this off and now I might be there day 1.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I’ve read like 4 reviewers now call it a stunning monumental cinematic achievement that is without parallel. One or two might be nerds nerding, but I’m officially onboard for a legit good blockbuster sci-fi movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Noted cinematic experts The Verge gave it an OK review but they didn't seem to think it was as amazing as the people you are finding. They gave it points for trying to be more than a normal blockbuster even if they thought it didn't quite pull off being a masterpiece (they thought The Bad Guys were a bit simplistic).

At the very least this doesn't sound like a train wreck, not that I ever really thought Villeneuve would have made something like that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Good morning everyone. Have a picture of Harrison Ford accidentally punching Ryan Gosling in the face.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Good morning everyone. Have a picture of Harrison Ford accidentally punching Ryan Gosling in the face.

"Who would have thought such a dusty old icon on American cinema could make such a stunning impact in 2017?" --reviews of this movie, caption of this pic

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
has anyone ever done one of those look-inside a Blade Runner's android parts ala those "light saber cross section" books? I know they dont really show in the movie and the Aliens movies did it by splitting them open every which way

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

What? Wouldn't that just be like Gray's Anatomy?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
weh

are they canonically human or something

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I always imagined to be genetic engineered made to measure humans, you know, replicants.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

They are indistinguishable from humans except for very sophisticated emotional testing.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

If there was a physiological difference between replicants and humans, there would be no point for the voight kampff test they do on them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

d0grent posted:

If there was a physiological difference between replicants and humans, there would be no point for the voight kampff test they do on them.

There's definitely some, considering that both Leon and Pris intentionally expose themselves to extreme temperatures without ill effect. I know in the Marvel comic adaptation, which used elements from the script, Bryant says that Roy Batty, "the crowning achievement of the free enterprise system", had been in "the plutonium furnaces of the Argentine Moons" and did "deep space runs at 800 below in nothing but a cowboy suit".

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

d0grent posted:

The test seems pointless either way since, at least in the first movie, they know exactly who each replicant is and what they look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

has anyone ever done one of those look-inside a Blade Runner's android parts ala those "light saber cross section" books? I know they dont really show in the movie and the Aliens movies did it by splitting them open every which way

They're 1:1 human except for very specific cases like specialized ones designed for deep space combat/etc. In the case of what's in the film, Roy especially was built to kickass. But each of the fugitives, in developing their own emotional responses, acts in the exact opposite way of the thing they were created for. Leon was meant to be a dopey munitions loading guy but he suddenly has an interest in photography, Pris is a "standard pleasure model" servant type of person but becomes manipulative, and Zhora is a combat model but just wants to avoid folks and flees from conflict. Roy is the badass* deep space combat expert seen things you people wouldn't believe ultimate warrior but instead of using that knowledge to kill, he uses his skills to try to look out for his companions, and spends his final moments forgiving the person sent to kill them and completely changing Deckard's outlook.

So I always had the impression that while there are clearly enhanced way beyond even a powerful human replicants made for those specific types of military service, brutal mining work (the original reason replicants were created at all), etc., it would figure there would also be waaaay more that, in just acting "normal" and doing their job regularly wouldn't stand out from a naturally born human at all without the test. We're not seeing typical replicants in Blade Runner but rather ones that are both absolute top of the line and treated as "crazy" and very dangerous by human standards on top of that because they want to be alive.

*It's not mentioned in the movie, but an interesting detail Scott mentions on the commentaries is that the "tattoos" on Roy's chest are the interface points into which powered armor for combat in space would be plugged into his organs.

• Locked thread