Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Eh, and one of the ways they have of mitigating stream sniping is getting people banned. One of the risks you take by breaking the rules is getting banned. Seems like it's working as intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The issue is that people can get falsely banned. No test has a 0% false positive rate. I'd rather 100000 streamers get sniped than 1 player unfairly not able to play for a week because I don't give a poo poo about streamers.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Arguing on the internet - if you can't refute something, just reply to something else and pretend like you nailed it.

I'm sorry you don't like the answer but that doesn't mean it doesn't apply to the dumb thing you said. It's as dumb as saying it's cheating to use 3rd person to see around corners.

They're not using aimbots or something like that. If a dumbass at a poker tournament plays with his cards backwards you can't exactly get mad at the guy across the table for successfully calling his bluff.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 29, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The issue is that people can get falsely banned. No test has a 0% false positive rate. I'd rather 100000 streamers get sniped than 1 player unfairly not able to play for a week because I don't give a poo poo about streamers.

It reminds me of all these Pro athletes who test positive for PEDS and then claim they didn't' do it. They all did it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fortnite feels like the Battlefield Heroes version of PUBG and I can't imagine it drawing from the same player base at all

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Not playing Fortnite because it looks real dumb.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fart Car '97 posted:

Fortnite feels like the Battlefield Heroes version of PUBG and I can't imagine it drawing from the same player base at all

Shroud or one of the guys he plays with made that same comparison.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Its the streamers choice to give away their position and they should accept any results from doing that. There is no reason why people should get banned for stream sniping. If you don't want to get stream sniped then add a delay or don't stream.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Not playing Fortnite because I paid 30 bucks for PUBG two weeks ago and I am a victim of the sunk cost fallacy.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Modus Pwnens posted:

Not playing Fortnite because I paid 30 bucks for PUBG two weeks ago and I am a victim of the sunk cost fallacy.

If you play enough PUBG you can make your money back and buy another game with the steambux.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Seems like they're very different anyway. Play PUBG if you enjoy it or Fortnite if you enjoy it. Or ditch both and play something else! I've been playing XCOM lately. It's pretty good!

The streamer thing seems like it's not going to go anywhere except everyone repeating themselves over and over, so we can probably stop now.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Hockles posted:

If you play enough PUBG you can make your money back and buy another game with the steambux.

I'm too smart to buy crates, but too stupid to sell them.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
is there anything good in the gamescom crate? or is it the same stupid poo poo you get in the crates you buy with pubgbux

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you prob suck at tracking and have sensitivity way too high.

bolded last one because it's 90% of the gunplay in this game. If you can't aim and click super fast, you're at a major disadvantage. Stock Mini 14 and M16 can be clicked as fast as possible at any range out to about 100 meters. Other rifles can if they're fully upgraded, except the AKM.You can tell how long people have been playing by how fast they're shooting semi auto. You 100% don't need to let your screen fully reset between shots. Done right you jerkily fire off 8 shots CoM into some chump and he's dead before he's processed where the sound is coming from, then you start working on his friend.

Apparently I haven't read this thread all week, so I'm resurrecting this from 6 pages ago.

I'm still getting used to low sensitivity, I spent about 10 years on mid-high sensitivity. Sometimes I wonder how much better I would have been at the games I was already great at if I used low sensitivity.

My problem has been that I had maybe 8" of room for my mouse. I think I've got a smaller keyboard somewhere around here. I already can't clear houses nearly as well as I would like.

I have a ton of trouble rapidly tap firing. When I try I miss every shot at 50m. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Fighting recoil too much? Not enough? I pretty much never use the SKS because of it.

I'm probably playing some duos with my brother soon, I'll see if I can use him for target practice in the lobby.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

odiv posted:

Seems like they're very different anyway. Play PUBG if you enjoy it or Fortnite if you enjoy it. Or ditch both and play something else! I've been playing XCOM lately. It's pretty good!

The streamer thing seems like it's not going to go anywhere except everyone repeating themselves over and over, so we can probably stop now.

ok mom

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Macaluso posted:

Streamers have a billion ways to mitigate stream sniping, and even if they didn't that's just a risk you take by showing yourself playing a multiplayer game on stream. Bluehole's decision to ban stream snipers is dumb as hell. The responsibility should be on the streamer here

Lol no they don't. They have two: changing their name regularly (lose any leaderboard aspirations, notoriety) or a significant stream delay 30sec +(lose community interaction). Higher mmr players don't need to try and queue up to gently caress with streamers, you just see their name on the kill feed and turn their stream on. Honking carries far

I have no idea what the solution is, I don't think it's banning people though

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

did they even add an explanation of what stream sniping is in their rules of conduct yet? Or do they just say you'll be banned for it and assume you're up on the latest gameslang?

I think actually explaining what it is in the rules might make them realize how stupid banning people over it is

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
You're a popular streamer? Then pick one: optimal community interaction or no stream snipers. It sucks but not getting to have your cake and eat it too is the lesser of two evils when compared to banning people on a hunch, imo.

Also, I think the community interaction thing is a little overblown anyway; professional poker streamers do just fine in that department. Hell, we put up with it way back in the DayZ mod days

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

dc3k posted:

is there anything good in the gamescom crate? or is it the same stupid poo poo you get in the crates you buy with pubgbux

There's some unique stuff in there like the banana tracksuit. https://rankedboost.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds/crates/#game

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Parallel Playa posted:

You're a popular streamer? Then pick one: optimal community interaction or no stream snipers. It sucks but not getting to have your cake and eat it too is the lesser of two evils when compared to banning people on a hunch, imo.

Also, I think the community interaction thing is a little overblown anyway; professional poker streamers do just fine in that department. Hell, we put up with it way back in the DayZ mod days

Yeah that excuse is a load of bullshit because once you pass a few hundred subscribers your chat is an incomprehensible flood of emoticons and WTFFFFF. If it's small enough that you can actually interact you're also obscure enough that no one will be sniping you

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah that excuse is a load of bullshit because once you pass a few hundred subscribers your chat is an incomprehensible flood of emoticons and WTFFFFF. If it's small enough that you can actually interact you're also obscure enough that no one will be sniping you

You're interacting with the people donating to get their kappa on the screen read outloud or their subs shouted out not the freeloaders spamming kappa in chat.

There are plenty of up and coming streamers willing to have no delay to get to the top, what they really need is a streamer union

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Moms are awesome though!

hawowanlawow posted:

did they even add an explanation of what stream sniping is in their rules of conduct yet? Or do they just say you'll be banned for it and assume you're up on the latest gameslang?
Yeah, they should, though I doubt it would have any actual effect on anything. It's not like people are checking the rules first to see if it's allowed. And if they do, but don't know what 'stream sniping' is they'll say, "Welp, guess I'll go do that."? Seems unlikely. Still, it should be spelled out, I agree.

Parallel Playa posted:

Has this actually happened? If it has, to any significant degree? With the amount of concurrent players right now I probably wouldn't be surprised, but it's not like the streamer themselves decides who gets banned. If Bluehole is banning based on "hunches" then that's BS, but I really doubt that's what's happening.

Even with bans yes streamers are having to decide between "optimal community interaction" (lol twitch chat) or no stream snipers. It's not like the rule stops stream sniping completely.

Also, seems weird to call it a ban if it's not permanent. Maybe that's the terminology in gaming and I'm just coming at it from another angle, but if it's temporary seems like another word like timeout would be better.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Why do any goons care about stream sniping? I bet an entire 0 of you have fallen victim to this epidemic.

If you are going to stream yourself playing a multiplayer game and are too afraid to put a delay on it because you might not get to engage in sweet twitch chat with your tween followers, I have no sympathy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Seems like the community should just organize and hit report for stream sniping on every single person available in hopes that the deluge of false reports will make enforcement impossible.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

khysanth posted:

Why do any goons care about stream sniping? I bet an entire 0 of you have fallen victim to this epidemic.

If you are going to stream yourself playing a multiplayer game and are too afraid to put a delay on it because you might not get to engage in sweet twitch chat with your tween followers, I have no sympathy.
Yeah, doesn't affect me one way or the other, so I don't really care. I just find it weird how many people are up in arms about the rule even though probably 0 people here have been falsely banned for it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I already report everyone who kills me so now I'll just say that they were stream sniping. Problem solved.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm so bad at the game there's 0 chance I'll be reported for anything, so I guess I have that going for me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

odiv posted:

Yeah, doesn't affect me one way or the other, so I don't really care. I just find it weird how many people are up in arms about the rule even though probably 0 people here have been falsely banned for it.
The full might of human brainpower hasn't been able to come up with 100% false positive-free testing for extremely important questions like "do you have aids?". No way bluehole is perfect on "were you stream sniping?".

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yes, those are definitely two things that are absolutely comparable in severity and consequences.

edit: Next you should bring up the concept of innocent until proven guilty and inalienable human rights.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I like to honk when I'm driving around I hope I don't get banned for bugging someone I didn't know was there in the rare case I also kill them

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I hope you do so that there's finally something concrete we can argue about.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

odiv posted:

Yes, those are definitely two things that are absolutely comparable in severity and consequences.

edit: Next you should bring up the concept of innocent until proven guilty and inalienable human rights.
:shrug: Obviously it's less severe but I don't see what severity has to do with it? My point is that the thing you said, that 0 people have likely been falsely banned, is likely untrue, and you can't "choose to ban stream snipers" without deciding that also banning some innocents is worth it. I don't see how helping streamers is possibly worth that. Yes, if you dismiss the big obvious downside, there's no downside to banning people for stream sniping, thanks for the insight.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

odiv posted:

When you pay $30 for something and that thing is suddenly taken from you it is in fact reasonable to be concerned whether that action was just.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Wait, low level players are sniping streams in order to hop into games that streamers do and driving vehicles around the complexes they are in and honking at them? This is the complaint?

That owns. Why don't the ungodly streaming guys just murder the honking people and get a chicken dinner?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Wait, low level players are sniping streams in order to hop into games that streamers do and driving vehicles around the complexes they are in and honking at them? This is the complaint?

That owns. Why don't the ungodly streaming guys just murder the honking people and get a chicken dinner?

No, high level player are seeing streamers names in the killfeed and then turning on their stream to find them. Its pretty easy to do. Still is funny though for everyone but the streamer

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Why don't the ungodly streaming guys just murder the honking people and get a chicken dinner?

Watch ChocoTaco.

This is exactly what he does. In fact, a lot of times the stream snipers end up bringing him really good poo poo. It's sort of ridiculous. But he doesn't get the least bit mad and seems mostly amused by it. It's why he's easily the best streamer.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They do for the most part. This is a problem that affects like 0.00001% of the playing population, it doesn't even matter. Most of the popular streamers are so good at aiming and clicking that you could throw up a flare at their location to tell everyone exactly where they are at all times and they'd still kill 10 guys before going down, and that would make for interesting viewing on Twitch.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My point is that the thing you said, that 0 people have likely been falsely banned, is likely untrue, and you can't "choose to ban stream snipers" without deciding that also banning some innocents is worth it. I don't see how helping streamers is possibly worth that.
I didn't say that. I said 0 people here because khysanth was talking about how it affects us personally.

Anytime you decide to have rules you're willing to ban for you're going to have false positives. That's just how these things work, right? Stream sniping isn't super special in that regard except that some people think it shouldn't be against the rules, which is a completely separate argument. And I'd be fine with it being allowed in the rules too, honestly.

Nevvy Z posted:

When you pay $30 for something and that thing is suddenly taken from you it is in fact reasonable to be concerned whether that action was just.
Agreed. I would love to hear about anyone unfairly banned for this. I'll be the first to agree that banning someone for something they didn't do is bullshit. We could do without the hyperbole though. It's not aids. It's not being able to play your game for like a week.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

No, high level player are seeing streamers names in the killfeed and then turning on their stream to find them. Its pretty easy to do. Still is funny though for everyone but the streamer

Ahhh, yea that does suck. Agree it's still funny.

Ice Fist posted:

Watch ChocoTaco.

This is exactly what he does. In fact, a lot of times the stream snipers end up bringing him really good poo poo. It's sort of ridiculous. But he doesn't get the least bit mad and seems mostly amused by it. It's why he's easily the best streamer.

This rules, I'm glad he can still enjoy the game. Kind of like a zombie mode filled with real people coming at him.

Couldn't PUBG just allow you to change your in-game name to whatever you want whenever you want to avoid this problem? Streamers can keep their twitch names and it should be impossible to track the in game name to the streaming name? Maybe I'm not thinking this through though...

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think the issue largely is like, why is Bluehole spending time (at whatever length it may be) trying to fix a problem they didn't create and bare really no responsibility for happening? Has any gaming company ever before seen it as their responsibility to, "fix" stream sniping? It certainly doesn't help when they have a litany of other issues to fix and people perceive them as spending time appeasing streamers instead of fixing bugs. It's also crazy that supposedly all it takes is the streamer going, "yea that person stream sniped me please ban them for killing me." They've only ever said that they are able to find, "evidence" for someone being a stream sniper because they entered/left lobbies as often as they could until they were in the same one as the streamer they wanted to snipe. How is possible to prove someone is stream sniping definitively after popping open X person's stream after seeing their name in the kill feed?

Incidentally last night I saw JoshOG in the kill feed and I didn't need to open his stream to know the person firing three or four full clips of an M24 in the distance was him, if I rode right up on him honking and killed him would I be eligible to be banned? Stream sniping is lame sure but I don't think it's really that good of a reason to make it part of your TOS.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 29, 2017

• Locked thread