Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Centurion

Well this is a little messy but I am right where I wanted to be for ambushing the Falcon. I'll unload on him first. A charged PPC hit to a back torso removes that torso location. So a back CT hit is a kill and a non charged PPC hit to rear side torso removes a side torso as well. I may be able to core him or popsicle him.. Next round I can help with the kitfox or parash. They flipped ECCM like I hoped and I have a clean BAP of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
5.Arctic Wolf

I remember it from MW4. Also, crush them GoonCompany!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

PTN, will mission kills work the same in this scenario as previously? Getting a leg blown off doesn't mean your radio stops working, after all.

A mission kill stops the timer.

I think I missed some other questions.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Reposting for PTN's reply:

anakha posted:

PTN, will the Mech in 2336 be alerted if any Mech passes through 1440 this turn?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Probably, but it's also a Clanner in the Cadet Star.

Odds on it doing something smart are fairly low.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Probably, but it's also a Clanner in the Cadet Star.

Odds on it doing something smart are fairly low.

Will that Mech trigger the two turn clock if Mechs pass through that hex but end up out of LOS? I think what the team is trying to avoid is having the timer start for Mechs that are out of their reach right now.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I'm glad that yet another pilot has succesfully navigated the dangers of mech facepalm.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

Will that Mech trigger the two turn clock if Mechs pass through that hex but end up out of LOS? I think what the team is trying to avoid is having the timer start for Mechs that are out of their reach right now.

Yes

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

drat.

Sentinel

Voting now and voting hard for not alerting the NE mechs. Charger, Quickdraw, it sucks that you won't be able to wreck the Kit Fox this turn, but the 2336-1042 line is loving lava as far as you're concerned right now.

Spider, if I were you I'd be pestering PTN about any possible move that can get you off that building and behind the Kit Fox without getting spotted.

I'm still planning on moving to 1150, and if the Falcon goes down I just might be able to put a low-percentage gauss shot at the Kit Fox.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

Spider, if I were you I'd be pestering PTN about any possible move that can get you off that building and behind the Kit Fox without getting spotted.

Best bet might be to eat another turn and make sure the Kit Fox doesn't have line of sight on anything. That doesn't leave you much time to put it down but it's still just a Kit Fox (and it isn't even the good one).

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Best bet might be to eat another turn and make sure the Kit Fox doesn't have line of sight on anything. That doesn't leave you much time to put it down but it's still just a Kit Fox (and it isn't even the good one).

Wait, what? I think I might be badly misunderstanding the countdown mechanics.

The Kit Fox has already been alerted, with 2 turns remaining. How would it not seeing anything this turn benefit us?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

Mary Annette posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, if my understanding of how LoS works is correct, at the very least, the unit in 2432 is going to spot me if I jump out of here. The stadium's walls are only height 4 and I need to get over a height 6 to get out of here, which means the stadium's not going to block LoS if I jump.

I think the units in 1431 and 2336 will also spot me, though I'm not 100% sure on those. 1431 is right next to the wall of the Stadium, and I'm not sure if that obscures his LoS to me even if I go over height 6. And depending on where you draw the line from 2336, it clips the edge of that height 14 building.

The Kit Fox and Falcon will also spot me if I jump, but seeing as how those guys already have LoS on other 'Mechs, that's kind of moot at this point. :v:

The garage itself is a hardened structure so there's no way in hell I'm Kool-Aid Man'ing it out of here. And I don't think my weapons are strong enough to punch through the structure to damage the Kit Fox on the other side, unless it's possible for me to aim and shoot it through the gaps between levels.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

The Kit Fox has already been alerted, with 2 turns remaining. How would it not seeing anything this turn benefit us?

If it can't shot anything it's going to have to get itself into in even deeper trouble on its next move.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quickdraw

Looks like the overall plan is going to be to try and put the two Mechs in the lower left corner of the map down HARD this turn if possible, then turn and do the same to the Kit Fox next turn.

I have no choice but to hold position this turn, but the rest of the team may want to position themselves to rush the Kit Fox after this turn's firing.

The units in the 10xx hexes should also probably move south a bit to force the Kit Fox to close in some more as PTN mentioned.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

If it can't shot anything it's going to have to get itself into in even deeper trouble on its next move.

Oh right, Clanners.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

I see. Shame on me for forgetting Clanner scouts are Clanners first, and scouts... eventually.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
Oh, now I get it; this isn't Metal Gear Solid, this is a horror movie. The Goons are Jason, Freddy and Michael Meyers. The Clanners are dopey teenagers who will investigate spooky noises in dark basements on their own rather than call the police or tell anyone else what's happening.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Jade Star posted:

Centurion

Well this is a little messy but I am right where I wanted to be for ambushing the Falcon. I'll unload on him first. A charged PPC hit to a back torso removes that torso location. So a back CT hit is a kill and a non charged PPC hit to rear side torso removes a side torso as well. I may be able to core him or popsicle him.. Next round I can help with the kitfox or parash. They flipped ECCM like I hoped and I have a clean BAP of them.

I wonder if this might not be overkill, given our current situation. The Falcon is going to take fire from both Roughnecks, the Bandersnatch, me, probably the Mongoose, and since the Kit Fox is off-limits this turn, maybe even the Von Rohrs and Charger.

You and the Hitman, if it hits MASC, can get to 749/848 this turn, and the Parash only has a +1 move mod.

If the Von Rohrs breaks LOS on the Kit Fox to try and draw it south to get murdered and the Parash is as stupid as its buddies, we stand a decent chance of keeping things under control.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Overkill is the best kill, and the only kill that is appropriate. Honestly? Unless that Orange blip that will get spooked is a Star Commander I think we'd save overall turns on the "can't gently caress this up" meter by bushwacking the Kit Fox this turn with all available firepower. If we can box in the Parash and set up a kill in the next turn with the Centurion/Mongoose/Hitman/Spider(maybe?), and we emphatically gently caress up that Falcon, we can turn the firepower of half a dozen 'Mechs on the single scout on the way that will probably be advancing on us down a straight thoroughfare that will get it much closer to us very quickly.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Just set up secondaries and maybe tertiaries to make sure you have SOMETHING to shoot at in case your main target goes down before your turn.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Cascade Jones posted:

Oh, now I get it; this isn't Metal Gear Solid, this is a horror movie. The Goons are Jason, Freddy and Michael Meyers. The Clanners are dopey teenagers who will investigate spooky noises in dark basements on their own rather than call the police or tell anyone else what's happening.

Mechanically, it seems like XCOM 2- it has a stealth mechanic, but not one for stealthing through a mission with no conflict. Instead, it's there to let you scout and then rumble a pod or two at a time and place of your choosing before devolving into a standard clusterfuck engagement. Except PTN didn't include that Line of Play bullshit Firaxis used.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Strobe posted:

Overkill is the best kill, and the only kill that is appropriate. Honestly? Unless that Orange blip that will get spooked is a Star Commander I think we'd save overall turns on the "can't gently caress this up" meter by bushwacking the Kit Fox this turn with all available firepower. If we can box in the Parash and set up a kill in the next turn with the Centurion/Mongoose/Hitman/Spider(maybe?), and we emphatically gently caress up that Falcon, we can turn the firepower of half a dozen 'Mechs on the single scout on the way that will probably be advancing on us down a straight thoroughfare that will get it much closer to us very quickly.

If the team is willing to risk getting spotted by the Mech in 2336, we'll have to fully commit to taking down the Kit Fox this turn - meaning the Quickdraw, Charger, Von Rohrs, and maybe one other Mech should focus on it. Otherwise, it might make more sense to focus fire on the Parash and Falcon first this turn and reposition such the the Kit Fox has to close in some more.

I'm personally more inclined to go with the latter since majority of the team is bunched up at the bottom and will take at least 1-2 turns to reposition for the Mech that would be advancing from 2336.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It all comes down to 'is that the star commander'. If it isn't it's worth dog piling the Uller. If it is things get real dangerous.

Who's feeling lucky?

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
The Charger should sweep the leg of the Kit Fox and consequences be damned.

Note: This may not actually be good advice.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think you have to avoid engaging the Kit Fox this turn. Everyone is just way too far away to risk alerting the scout in 2336.

You could 100% kill the Kit Fox, for sure, but it all involves walking directly in to LoS of that mech while having no one able to even tag it. Yea, it might do the clanner thing and rush you, in which case, great, but you really don't want to bet the mission on that. They're not all going to be rookies or dumb.

Definitely use the time to gang up on that poor Falcon and position though, you'll probably have the Parash following the Falcon in, and the Kit Fox turning in south as well, because it didn't get a good look at what's waiting for it. The Parash will definitely take a lot more fire to put down though, so just try and be ready to put as much fire on it as possible.

It's too bad the Falcon is blocking off access to it, because catching a 7/11/7 with only a +1 move mod is a rare treat.

e:

Strobe posted:

The Parash has jets, unlike the kitfox, so goons can't really easily trap it like they can the land bound Mechs.
(I mean, the Falcon does too, which could have been bad, but it's about to have the entire world fall on it so it shouldn't be a factor after this turn).

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 29, 2017

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
Mongoose/Hitman

I'm gonna send the Hitman after the Parash, as suggested. I'll bring the Mongoose down around the building it's hiding behind and provide fire support on the Falcon, should it not die to everything else.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mary Annette posted:

I see. Shame on me for forgetting Clanner scouts are Clanners first, and scouts... eventually.

If you alert your backup, you'll have to share all the glory.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Capskye posted:

Mongoose/Hitman

I'm gonna send the Hitman after the Parash, as suggested. I'll bring the Mongoose down around the building it's hiding behind and provide fire support on the Falcon, should it not die to everything else.

If you guys want to try and bag the Parash this turn, then you may as well send both your lights in with it, along with the Centurion and the Spider. I think everyone can manage these moves:

That's a deeecent ish amount of firepower on target, but there's not enough to 100% guarantee you do get the kill. The Centurion at least would hit with it's PPCs on 5s though, which will do the job if it rolls well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
(Also I sorta want to see PTN's fiction commentary about how silly the traffic jam going through 0948 is, especially because on top of everything else the Sentinel could use it for a backshot/kick, too.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

If you guys want to try and bag the Parash this turn, then you may as well send both your lights in with it, along with the Centurion and the Spider. I think everyone can manage these moves:

That's a deeecent ish amount of firepower on target, but there's not enough to 100% guarantee you do get the kill. The Centurion at least would hit with it's PPCs on 5s though, which will do the job if it rolls well.

Spider

I can't move this turn without triggering the countdown on three more units.

I'm currently at Height 4. The walls surrounding me are all Height 6, and all the buildings between me and the units at 1431, 2432 and 2336 are either Height 4 or Height 6, with the LoS from 2336 also barely clipping the edge of a Height 14 skyscraper.

If I jump out, they'll all spot me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

If I jump out, they'll all spot me.

1431 does not have line of sight, 2336 does not have line of sight, 2432 I'll have to diagram.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ah, nuts. I don't know that the spider is really a make or break factor, but, I wouldn't try for the bum rush unless everyone can agree to all in it.

The Mongoose/Hitman can at least position to collapse on the Kit Fox next turn as a fallback, especially since the Parash might keep coming in. It can't see the Falcon, it just has two of you on it's Active Probe. It doesn't know there's actually 9 mechs right around the corner yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

2432 I'll have to diagram.

Also does not.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I was about to post to ask if the Spider could go on some convoluted path I was going to put together, but that works too!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

1431 does not have line of sight, 2336 does not have line of sight, 2432 I'll have to diagram.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also does not.

Spider

Thanks for clearing that up; I wasn't 100% sure about 1431 and 2336, but was pretty sure 2432 would spot me.

So yeah, if the rest of us are up for it, I'm fine with bum rushing the Parash. Or stabbing the Kit Fox in the back if we want to go that route.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also does not.

Doesn't that mean it'll see him as soon as he takes off?

I suppose it could just be walking off the top and burning on the descent.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Cool, so it is an option if the players want to run with it!

I might actually stay out of melee range with the spider if it goes down there, your leg armor on a machine like that is ultra precious, even risking eating a kick at this point probably isn't a risk worth taking. (Yea, a piloting 5 clanner trying to melee probably won't hit a mech that just jumped 10 hexes, but if it DOES connect then you're left with only 11 hp total on one leg, and there's allll kinds of clan weapons that can do 11 damage in one shot.)

e:

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

Thanks for clearing that up; I wasn't 100% sure about 1431 and 2336, but was pretty sure 2432 would spot me.

So yeah, if the rest of us are up for it, I'm fine with bum rushing the Parash. Or stabbing the Kit Fox in the back if we want to go that route.

I think you're the only player that could engage the Kit Fox this turn without alerting further enemies, and you'd need something like both lasers and a kick all connecting on the same leg to kill it for sure. (Barring lucky ammo/engine/gyro crits).

It's soo fragile that the rest of the players should have no problem at all finishing it off on the following turn though. I don't think it has the MP to escape anywhere safe from all the player machines, unless it immediately full reverses. (And there's not really any way it does that when it's only seen one mech fleetingly along the side of a building, it'll follow and investigate).

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 29, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

goatface posted:

I suppose it could just be walking off the top and burning on the descent.
The diagram you quoted is showing the Spider already jumping out of the hole it is in - from where it is in the graph it will not be going any further up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, ok, I get it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

That's the highest point in the Spider's jump.

• Locked thread