Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

kill some minions, don't fight heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Even during an objective or when they are pushing down your keeps?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In my opinion yeah. If you fight em and they're 10 and you're not they'll probably win the teamfight because they all have a super strong ability that you don't have. Then, when you are all dead they will cap the objective or destroy the keep anyway.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you're not going to lose the game with the objective, yes. If you're not going to lose from the push in the time it takes to get to 10, yes again. Level 10 is a huge power spike and Minion waves are still worth a very significant chunk of experience at that point. If your team is soaking lanes and the enemy isn't you'll catch up pretty quick if you're only down a level or a level and a half. If you are going to lose, one or two people should be stalling and poking as safely as possible while the rest are clearing waves for XP. This of course all assumes some degree of communication and cooperation.

On the other hand, if most of your team is at the objective or trying to stop the push you should be there too unless you're currently clearing a wave and it will be enough to push you over to 10. Doing the wrong thing together is better than being the only person or pair doing the right thing.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Avalerion posted:

Even during an objective or when they are pushing down your keeps?

In both those situations, if you go in 9 v 10 you're far more likely to die than they are , and then they can keep doing what they are doing safer and longer. Instead, spread out to all three lanes, kill minions, and if you see an enemy, run away from it. It's a sacrifice, sucks to got put in that position.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
The only exception is if they already burned their ults ineffectively. That's worth keeping track of, once ults are down it's anyone's game.

But in most cases the team that reaches level 10 first have free rein of the map for a while.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, the updated AI is a lot better than it used to be. Played a couple of games with Adept AI yesterday (I'm teaching a friend the ins and outs of the game and they are still very much in the "learning basic mechanics" phase) and normally I could just pretty much solo Adept AI games all by myself, but yesterday I was getting focused down and combo'd to pieces by the AI several times.

It's a lot more punishing towards too aggressive play, knows how to chain CC and is brutally good at hitting skill shots, even at lower difficulties. They move around as groups, set up ambushes and generally play a lot smarter, so well done to the Blizzard AI team!

Today I was testing the new Veteran AI and jumped into a game where a group of four players decided the best way to play would be to all push one lane like this was some god drat Beginner AI game. I think the kills were 2-13 to the enemy after a couple of minutes because the three AI on the top lane just kept dunking and dunking on them.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This week’s brawl is Bash ‘Em Smash ‘Em Robots! Control one of two Triglav Protector mechs on our new one-lane Overwatch themed Battleground, Industrial District, and get ready to bash ‘em and smash ‘em!

Rules:
Choose from one of three randomly selected Heroes before entering the Battleground. Be quick about it though, you only have 30 seconds to choose!
Everyone will start at level 1 with no talent restrictions.
Triglav Protector mechs will spawn for both teams at their friendly structures.
Protectors have infinite duration.
Protectors will respawn 15 seconds after they’re destroyed.
The first team to destroy the enemy Core will win the match!

:flashfap:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Am I crazy, or does the gunner seat in the protector seem really weak?

There aren't a ton of heroes that wouldn't be more effective outside of the gunner seat. It seems like the primary advantage is just the risk-free damage; which is still an advantage, but a lot smaller of a reward than the dragon + 4 heroes or terror + 4 heroes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have to agree. I didn't feel like I was doing a whole lot in it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There aren't a ton of heroes that wouldn't be more effective outside of the gunner seat. It seems like the primary advantage is just the risk-free damage; which is still an advantage, but a lot smaller of a reward than the dragon + 4 heroes or terror + 4 heroes.

Dragon Shire is the best 'vehicle' map imo. Just a good mix of 3 points to fight over, a dragon with good abilities and not too much loving around. Garden makes you hearth to get the Terror which kind of sucks because you're probably having fun running around at an actual fight.

Anyway the worst map is Haunted Mines, now Hanamura is out.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I haven't played it, but from the little I saw on the PTR the laser did a lot of damage and the rest did decent, with relatively short cooldowns.

They could have tuned the damage down or I could have been misled by the absolutely representative sample size of two games. (I'm betting the latter.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The dragon was (I think accidentally) nerfed this patch... the breath damage and kick damage doesn't scale so you can't clear minion waves with it anymore. Very annoying.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All objective vehicles/bosses are pretty weak early on. You're better off doing camps or just pushing than fighting over the grave golem on Haunted Mines until like level 10 or so. If you can stall as a 4v5 on foundry while your Murky/Zagara/etc split pushes and then lose the objective, you'll probably come out ahead.

edit: also to avoid a double-post, Falstad is seriously bugged. His trait (+15% move speed after not taking damage for 6 seconds) is no longer turned off by damage. This means at level 13 all of his abilities recharge twice as fast and at level 16 he has permanent 25% move speed.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 29, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bugs/undocumented changes reported on Reddit y'all might want to know about.

I confirmed these in Try mode:
  • BUFF Fastad's trait is always active, regardless of taking damage (which also means Flow Rider is always active!)
  • NERF Diablo devastating charge talent does nothing
  • MIXED Non-moving summons -- Gazlowe turrets, Probius crap, Murky egg & fake eggs and Kerrigan (Torrasque) are all ignored by minions & mercs (still focused by towers) and do not provide vision. For some reason Abathur toxic nests do still provide vision, perhaps because they never took minion aggro even before? Zagara nydus worms provide vision but do not take aggro.
  • NERF Thrall chain lightning doesn't bounce to enemies in fog-of-war/bushes

I haven't personally confirmed:
  • NERF Rehgar lunge distance is much shorter (I don't know what it was before)

None of the above are included on the known bug list :v:

e: mixed up zag creep tumors with nydus worms.

e2: also, there's some poo poo about losing control of D.Va. If that happens to you, hit "hold attack" button, by default H, and that fixes it. Not sure how to personally recreate the bug and :effort:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 29, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

BrianBoitano posted:

• BUFF Fastad's trait is always active, regardless of taking damage (which also means Flow Rider is always active!)
  • NERF Diablo devastating charge talent does nothing
  • MIXED Non-moving summons -- Gazlowe turrets, Probius crap, Murky egg & fake eggs, Zagara (creep tumors) and Kerrigan (Torrasque) are all ignored by minions & mercs (still focused by towers) and do not provide vision. For some reason Abathur toxic nests do still provide vision, perhaps because they never took minion aggro even before?
  • NERF Thrall chain lightning doesn't bounce to enemies in fog-of-war/bushes

I haven't personally confirmed:
  • NERF Rehgar lunge distance is much shorter (I don't know what it was before)

None of the above are included on the known bug list :v:

Yeah I read about the issue with Devastating Charge on reddit. That seems like something they need to fix asap. I always build devastating charge because it's the only thing that lets him contribute a little damage.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah the falstad one is insane because it means you always have half cooldowns and 25% increased movement speed if you get the talents at 13 and 16.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That explains why i couldn't keep up with the AI Falstad no matter what in a game I played earlier this week.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BrianBoitano posted:

e2: also, there's some poo poo about losing control of D.Va. If that happens to you, hit "hold attack" button, by default H, and that fixes it. Not sure how to personally recreate the bug and :effort:

For me it happened when I charged into one of the control points on Volskaya. I think I clipped into one of the standards that had landed there when our team took control of it or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594fG9DJEiQ

Couldn't move, couldn't hearth, anything. Extremely frustrating bug, luckily for me the match ended quickly and I didn't get kicked for inactivity.

E: also similar thing happened to a Tassadar in the brawl. He got stuck in the forcefield leading out from our base, but when he disconnected, the AI could move out of there normally.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 29, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bad news - Genji on sale next week.

(Gazlowe and Anub as well)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I had a teammate playing Diablo who got stuck in the spawn on Volskaya near the end of the match. He disconnected and the AI just behaved like normal. The moment he reconnected he was stuck again.

Luckily this was an vs AI match so no harm done, but that is a nasty bug.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

• MIXED Non-moving summons -- Gazlowe turrets, Probius crap, Murky egg & fake eggs and Kerrigan (Torrasque) are all ignored by minions & mercs (still focused by towers) and do not provide vision. For some reason Abathur toxic nests do still provide vision, perhaps because they never took minion aggro even before? Zagara nydus worms provide vision but do not take aggro.

This one is actually bad for Gaz... I wasn't able to solo merc camps 'til like lvl 8 because they kept focusing on me.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
So what're everyone's thoughts on the new Johanna stuff? All her old pieces still seem to work fine, so I haven't been branching out too overly much... Is there anything super-awesome I should be checking out?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Paranoid Peanut posted:

This one is actually bad for Gaz... I wasn't able to solo merc camps 'til like lvl 8 because they kept focusing on me.

Doesn't he have a talent that makes his turrets tanky vs minions? Hired Muscle or something like that?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

bio347 posted:

So what're everyone's thoughts on the new Johanna stuff? All her old pieces still seem to work fine, so I haven't been branching out too overly much... Is there anything super-awesome I should be checking out?

I want to know how often someone can hit 4 people with a single Q. Sounds way harder than the Alark Q quest and that's already hard enough.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bamhand posted:

I want to know how often someone can hit 4 people with a single Q. Sounds way harder than the Alark Q quest and that's already hard enough.

Seems like the easiest way to that depends on a good Zarya ult hit. That or the other team having really poo poo placement in a teamfight. Like, reaaaally poo poo.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Or land the sickest condemn ever and pull them all in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I can't see much reason to play Johanna anymore. Her sustain was dramatically reduced and that was her advantage compared to tanks that with more aggressive displacement/that can more easily make dramatic plays like Diablo and Garrosh.

We'll see, maybe there's something I'm missing here.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No Wave posted:

I can't see much reason to play Johanna anymore. Her sustain was dramatically reduced and that was her advantage compared to tanks that with more aggressive displacement/that can more easily make dramatic plays like Diablo and Garrosh.

We'll see, maybe there's something I'm missing here.

Show me the part where Garrosh or Diablo leap into the loving sky and shine down the "You about to get hosed" signal on the enemies just in case they were unclear on the concept.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i mean there's apoc but if new falling sword is good that's something. I picked shield out of habit (which was dumb)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bug I forgot to mention: DK damaging abilities don't scale. I tested that one. Someone else said Mines golem doesn't scale either, but that's more annoying to test solo.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

No Wave posted:

i mean there's apoc but if new falling sword is good that's something. I picked shield out of habit (which was dumb)
New falling sword does a ton less damage but on the other hand getting a 50% slow is pretty strong. That probably makes it much stronger engage.
Her sustain did get a lot worse, but her base waveclear is still better than other main tanks, she has a blind, and her new storm shield seems pretty great. It's hard to say whether she's bad now, but there's definitely still reasons to pick her.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Would you really compare Johanna to Diablo and Garrosh anyway? She doesn't really fill the same sort of role, what with lacking the super-displacement ability. Even with the lesser sustain, her role still feels to me to be the "unkillable rear end in a top hat" position.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Man, imagine being a Falstad main who doesn't read Reddit. You must be feeling like the best player in the world, and everyone just thinks you're a dick.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Johanna is a lot less unkillable now, it takes awhile but it's now easier to tear through her mountains of armour and health.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Who is the Most Unkillable rear end in a top hat, based on pure stats?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
There's literally no point to that question considering abilities and talents far exceed a stats in determining who is Tanky

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

bio347 posted:

Would you really compare Johanna to Diablo and Garrosh anyway? She doesn't really fill the same sort of role, what with lacking the super-displacement ability. Even with the lesser sustain, her role still feels to me to be the "unkillable rear end in a top hat" position.

Uh yeah she fills the exact same role, she's a tank. I don't think I've ever once played a game where any of those three heroes were on the same team.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bogart posted:

Who is the Most Unkillable rear end in a top hat, based on pure stats?
Muradin

bio347 posted:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'll never play a Dwarf