Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

Whoa, I literally did not know there were ever real RR models. I have only ever seen people kitbash them from Fantasy horses or do Cold Ones or some poo poo.

Yeah, they used to literally be 'Atillan Rough Riders' and those pseudo-Mongols were it. They're ancient, 2nd edition I think, and even by the late 90s they were absolute garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
They also released Tallarn Rough Riders. I have like 10 of them, but only 3 are painted.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Uroboros posted:

drat, I was hoping it was detachment based.

So far every codex has had it be warlord-based, specifically so you can't get multiple free relics from various factions.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ilor posted:

They also released Tallarn Rough Riders. I have like 10 of them, but only 3 are painted.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I wonder how FW will change Elysians because they seem pretty good already

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Mad Robot has been teasing Rough Rider sculpts (horses too, not just the riders like Victoria!) on the Facebook for a while.

Does anyone else have the problem that literally every Guard army looks awesome, and I want to have an army of each? It tooks me years to finish my Mordian army, I really can't justifying spending another 300$ on metal minis.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Arven posted:

Mad Robot has been teasing Rough Rider sculpts (horses too, not just the riders like Victoria!) on the Facebook for a while.

Does anyone else have the problem that literally every Guard army looks awesome, and I want to have an army of each? It tooks me years to finish my Mordian army, I really can't justifying spending another 300$ on metal minis.

I've always said, the moment plastic Steel Legion happen, I have a new main army.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a half-finished RR conversion that's just the old Fantasy unicorn with krak grenades and a meltabomb tied to its horn. One of these days I need to finish it.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I have half a box of WFB empire knights of the white wolf I'd like to kit bash with tempestus scions for rough riders. The other half were turned into undead Knights.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've always said, the moment plastic truescale Steel Legion happen, I have a new main army.

I would drop a grand so fast.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I estimate I'm about halfway done with mine.

Re-reading the new rules, they're not bad they're just situational. So, whatever.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Did anything ever come of the conversion guide that was mentioned?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arven posted:

The dumbest thing GW ever did was get rid of the Doctrines thing in the 4th Ed IG Codex. That one book made me want to buy no fewer than three different Guard armies, and I made decent progress on two of them. Then they "vanilla-ized" everything in 5th and I lost interest.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I was really worried at first when everything felt generic with all the indices but now that codices are coming out I'm actually really happy with them and I especially like the Death Guard one

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Death Guard codex is rad and convinced me to pull the trigger on a army of Goon Marines. Spilt a box of DI with a mate, got a Daemon Prince and some more Poxwalkers on the way. Just gotta bide my time for the rest of the releases and I'm good to go.

Was hoping for some 4th ed style "design your own chapter/warband/whatever" stuff after seeing it on AoS's Kharadron Overlords book, but the codexes have been pretty tight little packages so it's hard to complain.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I went and bought the speech ehlf start collecting box and I wanna know about that fire prism. I-E what do I need to make it into a wave serpent. Just the little bits for the fins and the turret?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

DiHK posted:

I went and bought the speech ehlf start collecting box and I wanna know about that fire prism. I-E what do I need to make it into a wave serpent. Just the little bits for the fins and the turret?

you need these sprues

the underslung shuriken cannon is basically mandatory (yeah i know one comes on the Prism sprue, just sayin')

i would wait tho maybe they'll Make Fire Prisms Great Again

also Night Spinners are good

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 30, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I like the Eldar and I hope that when the codex comes out they'll give some more attention to their most interesting feature, the aspect warriors, instead of just making more wraith-* and Ynnari units

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There's a guy I know who's wishing the very opposite. He bought an entire Wraith-spam army just before the 8th ed announcement purely to use for crushing tournies and keeps on openly wishing they'd make Wraith units as broken as they were in 7th again.

No one has the heart to break things to him. Mostly because it's too funny.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Wraithguard and Wraithblades both seem pretty good to me. Fire Dragons are probably better anti-tank/monster since they are a lot cheaper and you can fit more than five in a Serpent but still

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I think the wraith stuff was cooler and more compelling when it was much more limited but the real personality behind the Eldar is in the aspect warriors much like how you wouldn't have Chaos without the four types of cult marines

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Phyresis posted:

you need these sprues

HobbyTitan's bits seem to imply that the rear hatch is also part of the fire prism kit? I intend to magnetize the thing...

I'm waiting for the codex to really figure out the army but I figured I couldn't go wrong with the Start Collecting box and a box of Guardian Defenders. I'm really stoked to start on Craft world Jodorowsky ... or should it be Craft world Foss. Or maybe its Troupe Foss as a detachment. Or maybe I'll get some BDSM elves and star jammers.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
40k Badcast Update!

We've reached our data limit in September with LibSyn, so I cannot pot the new episode until Sunday! I'm very sorry that we're giving you guys all this free content!

You're gonna wanna listen to this one, y'all. It's a real doozy.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Sex Cannon posted:

40k Badcast Update!

We've reached our data limit in September with LibSyn, so I cannot pot the new episode until Sunday! I'm very sorry that we're giving you guys all this free content!

You're gonna wanna listen to this one, y'all. It's a real doozy.

Can you give us a preview of what the next mission in the global campaign is? I was meeting up with a bunch of friends tomorrow and making them play it.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

DiHK posted:

HobbyTitan's bits seem to imply that the rear hatch is also part of the fire prism kit? I intend to magnetize the thing...

I'm waiting for the codex to really figure out the army but I figured I couldn't go wrong with the Start Collecting box and a box of Guardian Defenders. I'm really stoked to start on Craft world Jodorowsky ... or should it be Craft world Foss. Or maybe its Troupe Foss as a detachment. Or maybe I'll get some BDSM elves and star jammers.

it's a different hatch. wave serpents have an extended hull so that elves can fit inside. you need the whole sprue

e: they use the same door

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 30, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are there any models out there that make a decent proxy for that Tyranid drop pod thing? My friend wants to use one for his Old One Eye but he doesn't want to spend sixty dollars

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Suck it up! I don't wanna spend 70 on ynnari but :shrug:

Real answer: not much for tyranid alternates out there. Scratch building is the only real option.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
How do people base slot-base minis? I've been using basing paste to make lava bases, and since that involves a lot of drybrushing, I kept getting paint on minis if I did it after they were based, so in this last experiment I made a base around the slot, but that left the center exposed. I could cover it with more paste but then I'm back to having to paint around the mini.

Or maybe this is a better question for the painting thread.

edit: model in question:

I'm pretty happy with it, but annoyed I didn't think the basing process through.

vvv I've clipped and pinned some others, but I wasn't sure how to go about it with those weird foot prongs.

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 30, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Giant Isopod posted:

How do people base slot-base minis? I've been using basing paste to make lava bases, and since that involves a lot of drybrushing, I kept getting paint on minis if I did it after they were based, so in this last experiment I made a base around the slot, but that left the center exposed. I could cover it with more paste but then I'm back to having to paint around the mini.

I either clip the slot off and put it on a normal base. Or I just do the base first so I can just paint over any drybrushing mishaps.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

chutche2 posted:

Can you give us a preview of what the next mission in the global campaign is? I was meeting up with a bunch of friends tomorrow and making them play it.

Round 3 - Sweet Self Own, Bro
Kill points, table quarters deployment
Both players make the worst (legal) army lists they can
Players then trade armies and have to defeat their own lovely army with another lovely army
You can’t build an army that will automatically lose
You can’t take fortifications
Secondary objectives are:
Save the Warlord: If the enemy’s warlord is alive at game end, you get +1 VP
Linemaker: If your enemy has no units in your deployment zone, you get +1 VP
Last Blood: If you get the last killpoint before the game ends, you get +1 VP. If you both have units in reserve or offboard when the game ends, neither of you get it.

Micro Set smells like old vinegar. Micro Sol smells amazing. And it owrks amazingly well, too! How did I not already know about this stuff?!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Giant Isopod posted:

edit: model in question:

I'm pretty happy with it, but annoyed I didn't think the basing process through.

vvv I've clipped and pinned some others, but I wasn't sure how to go about it with those weird foot prongs.

Sand and PVA glue, built up to cover the slot and tab, then texture paint over it.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

goose willis posted:

Are there any models out there that make a decent proxy for that Tyranid drop pod thing? My friend wants to use one for his Old One Eye but he doesn't want to spend sixty dollars

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=21

That being said Tyranids "bits" can be nabbed from Aliens toys pretty easily and I swear I saw a pod made out of a toy egg from Aliens with some poo poo glued/greenstuffed to it. Poke around amazon, especially near halloween for all sorts of creepy crawly plastic poo poo to kitbash with.

Edit: Or like, chop a flat side, paint green and drybrush, stick some spikes or antennas on it and you could use this as a gross rear end "pod" or at least some alien terrain: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0745CV9SW/ref=psdcmw_166034011_t1_B000VB876C

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 30, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=21

That being said Tyranids "bits" can be nabbed from Aliens toys pretty easily and I swear I saw a pod made out of a toy egg from Aliens with some poo poo glued/greenstuffed to it. Poke around amazon, especially near halloween for all sorts of creepy crawly plastic poo poo to kitbash with.

Edit: Or like, chop a flat side, paint green and drybrush, stick some spikes or antennas on it and you could use this as a gross rear end "pod" or at least some alien terrain: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0745CV9SW/ref=psdcmw_166034011_t1_B000VB876C

Brilliant suggestions thanks!

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

goose willis posted:

goose willis posted:

Brilliant suggestions thanks!

There are, and I have them, fully painted in a Hive Fleet Leviathan colors, brimming with tentacles and spitter-things.

E: Forgot link here.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 30, 2017

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I've seen people in a few places saying that in the livestream with the guy who wrote the Guard codex he said that Leman Russes get objective secured in a Spearhead detachment. If that's the case I might end up leaving my 200+ infantry on the shelf for a while and run an armored company. Especially since the Cadian tank order is apparently the same "reroll number of shots on random shot weapons" as the Catachan doctrine, which would work nicely with the "reroll 1's for things that didn't move" Cadian doctrine.

That Nightshroud power is apparently -1 to be hit by ranged weapons, which is pretty nice.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Trade conscript blob guard for parking lot guard. 5th an 6th ed live again.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Fire up the leafblowers :getin:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

For_Great_Justice posted:

Trade conscript blob guard for parking lot guard. 5th an 6th ed live again.

There's also a strategem to combine squads, which won't be the power blobs of 5th but still neat.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Just wanted to show this off. I finally finished cutting into Mortarion so that I could get his wings be fully magnetized. I've magnetized stuff before, but this is the first time I've had to completely remove the existing joint and then create my own that would allow it to take a magnet. I was really worried I'd end up ruining the wings/body or both. I chipped the paint on my WIP in a couple places, but the magnet solution is working drat well. Now I can go back to painting him. Biggest issue I had was gluing the magnet into the hole I created for the wing magnet to attach to. Had to guess how deep to go because otherwise id end up getting glue ont he wing magnet and both got stuck. This happened on the first attempt and was a nightmare to correct. The body magnets are slightly not deep enough, but the joint is still pretty good. Ideally would need to file down the depth on the wing magnet, but I tried using some metal files on it and got nowhere.

Mugaaz fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Soviet Commubot posted:

There's also a strategem to combine squads, which won't be the power blobs of 5th but still neat.

Yeah it just seems from a non guard player perspective its parking lot or blob or bust.