Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

khy posted:

I've been reading Ancient Magus' Bride recently and I have been liking it quite a bit.

Somehow watching the anime it's not nearly as enjoyable. I don't know why. The anime is missing something that I cannot put my finger on, compared to how fun the manga is. Anyone else feel this way?

Also, the way Elias is drawn when he's sort of chibi-fied reminds me a LOT of the mini Rak Wrathraiser from Tower of God.

I haven't watched the anime but the caps I've seen have made it look really beautiful so that's a shame. I really have to get around to watching it for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

What makes kancolle good, please elucidate

in terms of what makes it a good product, rather than why you like it, I mean. I'm all for enjoying garbage, but that's different from something being of actual good quality.
tenryuu is objectively good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That's a funny way of spelling akagi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

That's a funny way of spelling akagi

i said 'tenryuu is objectively good' not 'only tenryuu is objectively good,' there are many good boats

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sorry I just get very worked up about akagi

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Endorph posted:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Namtab posted:

Sorry I just get very worked up about akagi

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

That's not what I asked though, like is the writing good, is the story good, is it no longer about otakubait versions of world war 2 warships, etc

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

That's not what I asked though, is the writing good, is the story good, is it no longer making otakubait versions of world war 2 warships, etc

Why are you acting like a big shot anime critic dude?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he's right

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Invictus please calm down

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

And as for you, you need to stop the people in your sig from breeding any more

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

That's not what I asked though, like is the writing good, is the story good, is it no longer about otakubait versions of world war 2 warships, etc

You say that as though good writing and good stories are incompatible with cute girls based off of World War 2 Warships

(and also as though good writing and good stories are separate issues?)

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Namtab posted:

And as for you, you need to stop the people in your sig from breeding any more

someone was kissing my rear end the other day over this sig. turns out it was wickedhate :/

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

someone was kissing my rear end the other day over this sig. turns out it was wickedhate :/

And what does that tell you about the sig

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Namtab posted:

Why are you acting like a big shot anime critic dude?
I asked for a reason it's good and was given a character name with zero context, and the only thing I know about the series is that it's about anthropomorphised versions of world war 2 warships as children or sexy ladies who mostly seem to pander to various "tastes". I'm asking what makes it a good series, because honestly the very foundation of it is repulsive to me as it fetishizes the weaponry of a real awful period in history as cutesy anime girls.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I asked for a reason it's good and was given a character name with zero context, and the only thing I know about the series is that it's about anthropomorphised versions of world war 2 warships as children or sexy ladies who mostly seem to pander to various "tastes". I'm asking what makes it a good series, because honestly the very foundation of it is repulsive to me as it fetishizes the weaponry of a real awful period in history as cutesy anime girls.

Pshaw, I bet this guy thinks Girls Und Panzer is bad too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't really know what that is. I remember seeing some gifs someone posted of schoolgirls driving tanks.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Ok fine

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Namtab posted:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Namtab posted:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Namtab posted:

nothing

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't really know what that is. I remember seeing some gifs someone posted of schoolgirls driving tanks.

Yeah it's great

It's high-stakes competitive World Of Tanks

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

He who does not learn from history is destined to repeat it

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Namtab posted:

He who does not learn from history is destined to repeat it

okay

khy
Aug 15, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I haven't watched the anime but the caps I've seen have made it look really beautiful so that's a shame. I really have to get around to watching it for myself.

The quality isn't bad, but for some reason the interactions between Chise and Elias feel weird. It's hard to put my finger on directly what feels off about it. I suspect it might just be me though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I mean I'll say it though, Kancolle ain't good

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i like when the girls have big boobs

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chat thread is leaking.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

All threads are chat thread.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've three episodes of Death Note left and then I will stop making GBS threads up the wrong thread, I just really like the discussion in this one and VIZ list it as jump advanced :shobon:

I have loved the second part so far and though I'd say the first half is the better of the two both parts are still extremely good and great over all. I'd been expecting a noticeable dip in quality but that hasn't been my experience at all. I do feel like it has naturally run its course though and I was getting a little worried they'd bring in more rules or weird byproducts of the existing Death Note rules.

I think the goodies will win and that it'll be because Near and Mello finally work together. I feel like I saw a youtube thumbnail that says Light reacts to someone not dying when he writes their name. I think Near will exploit the 0.6 second rule for simultaneous death note writing or something.

Things that have me very anxious rn

Light's plan to have Mikami using a fake note seems to be working flawlessly on Near. Gevanni thinks he's touched a Death Note and confirmed that Ryuk isn't around but we know that's not the case at all. I'm guessing Ryuk is still around considering he's not with Light and has told Mikami he's being followed which allowed Mikami to do his whole fake "that shinigami isn't around" talking to himself routine.

I've suspected for a while that controlling someone for the three week's before their death would be a possibility and then they literally just mentioned it in the show, Near is worried Gevanni is already on his way to dying. However my fear was that Aizawa was being controlled but I don't think so now as it'd be too obvious Light was Kira then no matter what he did. Still I'm expecting someone to die after having been secretly controlled for some time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

(and also as though good writing and good stories are separate issues?)

Well I mean there is a distinction between story and script. You can have something with a bad plot but good dialogue/characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

what makes it good is that tenryuu is good. ill post this in book barn if that makes it more true.

also to not exclusively shitpost: bakuman isn't super sexist its just kinda weird about its female characters. on the one hand it has a pretty decent bit where you think a loser's gonna get the girl by being nice and persistent but actually hes just creepy and weird, but on the other hand it treats some female characters really weirdly and the main characters are both kind of lovely to a lot of the women in their life with basically no consequence, and there's a later arc that's insanely weird about one specific female character for the crime of taking one of the main characters at his word and assuming he actually did care about her, and the manga basically acts like she's a bitch for trying to get him to stick to his word. the female characters are in the series so rarely that its basically just that one arc thats kinda weird, but yeah.

also there is kind of a weird bit about how women cant write traditional shonen as if one of the biggest and most well-regarded shonen manga of all time (fullmetal alchemist) wasnt by a woman in real life. its not full 'manga is man's work,' more just likes to make weird generalizations about what kind of work women produce. there's some broad generalization about what kind of manga men produce too, so that bit more just feels kind of blockheaded than actively hateful at least. also there's basically no acknowledgment of shonen jump's female fanbase, which is funny coming from the people who made freaking death note.

basically: id rewrite like six or seven chapters and include some nods towards the female demo of shonen jump and itd be perfectly fine, so it isn't some super pervasive thing throughout the entire story, so much as just a few bits where it gets weird.

for an actual review of the thing, it is kind of a fun inside baseball thing and some of the drama they create does actually land, but the romance stuff between the lead and his girlfriend is almost completely flat. the secondary lead is kind of a shithead sometimes but at least he interacts with his girlfriend and she wins arguments sometimes so they feel like an actual couple and it feels like a satisfying arc when their relationship actually develops as the story goes on, with the main character his girlfriend is just nice and supportive no matter what he does and pretty much rearranges her entire life based on a vague promise he made six years ago and he never once has to sacrifice anything for her. More than that though its just dull, and the climax does kinda focus on it.

The supporting characters are actually really good though, and there's even like one decent female supporting character who's a fun character and gives the main characters some advice and they respect her for her art, so at least there's that. that said, the best character is the guy who makes weird surrealist humor and desperately doesn't want to work on his manga and just wants to get an anime deal and get rich and drive around in nice cars and eat at restaurants every day. That guy is my hero.

edit: Also if you do ever read Bakuman, be sure to watch the fake OPs the anime made whenever one of the fake manga in the show gets an anime adaptation, it actually adds a lot just being able to see like a brief clip of what the manga's anime would be like, it gives you a great idea of what kind of work they're producing.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 29, 2017

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
drat i cant believe i forgot about otters 11. nothing is better than otters 11

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

The supporting characters are actually really good though, and there's even like one decent female supporting character who's a fun character and gives the main characters some advice and they respect her for her art, so at least there's that. that said, the best character is the guy who makes weird surrealist humor and desperately doesn't want to work on his manga and just wants to get an anime deal and get rich and drive around in nice cars and eat at restaurants every day. That guy is my hero.

I never finished Bakuman but this guy was definitely the best

didn't he start as some salaryman who just looked at a WSJ he found on a train and went "this is a bunch of crap, people make money on this??? I CAN DO BETTER"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I never finished Bakuman but this guy was definitely the best

didn't he start as some salaryman who just looked at a WSJ he found on a train and went "this is a bunch of crap, people make money on this??? I CAN DO BETTER"

yeah he did

also my favorite scene is the bit where they meet literal, actual eiichiro oda and that guy gets really confused why oda doesnt just immediately retire and let the anime make an original ending. 'hes already rich!! but he cant enjoy it??'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i remember reading some manga i think set at the end of the samurai period i forget the name of about 2 kids who end up with some rebel group. anyone know what i'm thinking of and also is it worth reading?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jose posted:

i remember reading some manga i think set at the end of the samurai period i forget the name of about 2 kids who end up with some rebel group. anyone know what i'm thinking of and also is it worth reading?

Long shot, but is it Yae no Sakura?

The problem with your request is that there's a shitton of manga covering the end of the shogunate so there's probably dozens of manga that fit the bill here.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Jose posted:

i think Sidooh, but its been too long since ive read it to give a recommendation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its sidooh and i've started reading it again so i guess i'll stop if it gets particularly bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ytlaya posted:

I feel so bad for the kid in that. Like, since he's still a kid and it's his mom he doesn't really have any reasonable recourse. I'm going to be quite surprised if his love interest doesn't get murdered or something.

I'm kinda wondering where the story can go, though. Like, we get that his mom is creepy, but it's not clear where things can go other than continuing to show his mom being all crazy.

Maybe it's the kid that's crazy!

My feeling is that he won't say anything at all...then we'll have a time skip.