Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's getting good reviews :shrug:

It's a metroid game specifically designed to cater to people who have never liked Metroid. Most of the good reviews about are from people who complained about the basic gameplay and mechanics of the previous games in the series but rave about how great it is that the new one has a melee counter system! Or that it tells you where to go and how to do everything. It's kind of like the Devil May Cry reboot all over again, only this time it's actually successful.
Preemptive :goonsay: I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Don't games like Hollow Knight and Ori have enough of a following that you can actually just make a normal-rear end Metroid game and have it be successful? Or am I overestimating their popularity?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Don't games like Hollow Knight and Ori have enough of a following that you can actually just make a normal-rear end Metroid game and have it be successful? Or am I overestimating their popularity?

Ori did well enough to get a remaster and a sequel, so yeah?

I mean, Samus Returns is a normal metroid game, it just has some poor mechanics and design decisions both old and new to contend with but at its core its a metroid game. Its not that bad, just like obviously mangled up a little for a variety of reasons like amiibo sales, but functionally its nowhere near as bad as Mercury Streams previous outing Mirror of Fate.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

Axiom Verge was also very good for the most part. I don't think it's that they do bad, or are bad. It's that Metroid has always had a relatively niche fanbase compared to other nintendo games and that's always just made nintendo mad for some reason so they just keep throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks while trying very hard not to admit that the american made metroid games were really good. IIRC the fact that the prime games were so well received really upset the guy who went on to make Other M.

Barudak posted:

nowhere near as bad as Mercury Streams previous outing Mirror of Fate.

In retrospect I'm not sure why people keep giving work to the guys who made castlevania into a bad god of war clone.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Nuebot posted:

In retrospect I'm not sure why people keep giving work to the guys who made castlevania into a bad god of war clone.

I thought that was Ninja Theory? Or are they the same company?

e: nvm, I can't read

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Sep 29, 2017

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Lords of Shadow 2 had a rough development because its director was a prick with an ego the size of Catalonia. The developers (MercurySteam) working on it only learned about the new features not from him, but from his comments to the press. Let's not forget it was published by Konami, which spontaneously combusted the year after with the cancelling of PT and meddling of The Phantom Pain.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Sep 29, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ninja Theory did DmC.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
DmC wasn't too bad but it was too up it's own rear end. Old DmC was like Dante shooting bullets into the hilt of his katana to stab it in further or having an electric guitar as a weapon. Just a fun time all around.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
DmC was really fun to play, it was the smug potshots it took at the previous games that were kind of lovely.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Schneider Inside Her posted:

DmC wasn't too bad but it was too up it's own rear end. Old DmC was like Dante shooting bullets into the hilt of his katana to stab it in further or having an electric guitar as a weapon. Just a fun time all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP-UqnXSGDk

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If any game needs a remake, it's Zelda II. Keep it a side-scroller, but get rid off the teeth-grinding difficulty.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If any game needs a remake, it's Zelda II. Keep it a side-scroller, but get rid off the teeth-grinding difficulty.

gently caress that, make it Zelda Souls.

Just make it so it's more reliant on skill and less random bullshit (like those shield guys, gently caress them). Also don't have lives and game overs, that poo poo belongs in the 90s.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Morpheus posted:

Just make it so it's more reliant on skill and less random bullshit (like those shield guys, gently caress them). Also don't have lives and game overs, that poo poo belongs in the 90s.

You can hit the shield guys consistently. If you jump and attack at the same time, hitting them at an angle while falling (not with a downstab), then you will virtually always connect.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Morpheus posted:

I'm all for Souls difficulty, but of the "Tactical-Combat-and-Cautious-Exploration" challenge and not the "Capra-Demon-buggers-you-both-ends-with-a-machete-in-an-alleyway" challenge.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm all for Souls difficulty, but of the "Tactical-Combat-and-Cautious-Exploration" challenge and not the "Capra-Demon-buggers-you-both-ends-with-a-machete-in-an-alleyway" challenge.
Just roll left.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fil5000 posted:

DmC was really fun to play, it was the smug potshots it took at the previous games that were kind of lovely.

Changing Dante's look wasn't the biggest problem with DmC even though that's what everyone complained about, it was the new weapon/enemy polarity thing they added. Previous games let you use all your weapons on any of the enemies in the game, so you could use any combination you wanted to do all sorts of stylish things. DmC changes that by making it so some enemies are either red or blue, and can only be damaged by red or blue weapons accordingly. Combat was already frantic enough between worrying about how your own attacks were going to chain together and having to read enemy attack telegraphs while also worrying about attacks coming from off-screen. Having the flow be broken because in the middle of everything you accidentally hit the wrong enemy with the wrong weapon was just unsatisfying in general and the reason I never finished the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In addition to that, score/ranking was purely dependent on damage dealt and guess what, demon weapons all had the gimmick of "deal more damage" while angel weapons all had "hit more times" so unless the enemy was blue you should never, ever be using half your weapons both due to score and due to making fights arbitrarily take longer. The one exception was the insanely broken move "prop" which was basically a free auto counter on every enemy so fights, including most bosses, were spam prop then use the axe.

Bosses are also a complete mess with the only good one being the final boss even if the tv broadcaster boss was interesting. To further top this pile off, platforming is loving everywhere and constant with large sections of levels being devoid of enemies and just running and alternating which grapple button you push with no way to speed it up and the somehow hosed up devil trigger making it really boring to use.

The remaster fixes a lot of this stuff, so if thats the version youve played (and it likely is, the original sold like dogshit) its not too terrible. It just still has poo poo level design and bosses.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Trying to do all the classic mode (Standard Difficulty) challenges in Tony Hawks American Wasteland, only have the Pro/Sick scores and Skate/Combo letters in the Ruins to go, but Kyoto was a fairly overly cluttered level that seemed poorly laid out. Every other level has some way of boxing you into a sort of circuit with the Mall functioning as the obligatory Downhill Jam structure, but Kyoto starts you in the middle then spiders out in about 5 different directions, and most of those directions have no obstacles at the level boundary so you could be holding a decent combo only to accidentally go out of bounds and lose all the points. Don't really like Kyoto much. The final level, the Ruins, is fine, I'm starting to figure it out more.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

maou shoujo posted:

You can hit the shield guys consistently. If you jump and attack at the same time, hitting them at an angle while falling (not with a downstab), then you will virtually always connect.

Pro strats here. Git gud, newbs!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I would love a Zelda 2 remake/sequel. Why hasn't there been one (or at least an indie spiritual successor or something)? You'd think "proto-metroidvania but with an open overworld" would be an easy sell.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

food court bailiff posted:

I would love a Zelda 2 remake/sequel. Why hasn't there been one (or at least an indie spiritual successor or something)? You'd think "proto-metroidvania but with an open overworld" would be an easy sell.

Because saying "We know this is the most disliked zelda ever, so here it is again" isn't really an easy sell.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Changing Dante's look wasn't the biggest problem with DmC even though that's what everyone complained about,

The loving mop scene/ad didn't really help with this, though. Jesus Christ, why did they think that would go over well with fans of the franchise?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There are at least like five other Zelda games I like less than Adventure of Link; really its only problem for a game of that era was it's monumental difficulty, even for an NES game.

I think the combat system was actually pretty solid too. Not overly complex, but the high attack/low attack system gave it a bit more depth than, say, Castlevania.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Because saying "We know this is the most disliked zelda ever, so here it is again" isn't really an easy sell.

No, they said Zelda 2, not CDI Zelda.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Absolutely no one liked the DS Zelda's best. They are the definition of going through the motions meets handheld polygon ceiling. At least Zelda had a big part in Spirit Tracks.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just roll left.

The right has somehow always worked much better for me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morpheus posted:

Even if that were true, and it's not (by a pretty huge margin, even) the least liked Zelda game still has way more fans than the best-liked Metroid, and we just spent a page discussing the remake of the least liked game from that series*, sooooo....?

*as soon as I hit submit I remember Other M. I guess I meant mainline Metroid.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

food court bailiff posted:

The 4-swords one on gamecube that you had to play with connected gameboy advances' used reminded me of zelda II in a way. The game mainly takes place on the TV and overhead like in classic LtoP with the 4 Links sharing the screen, but when when of you go underground the view shifts to the side and you view your link on your personal GBA. Nintendo's always had overly-elaborate hardware gimmicks that you never see come together in reality, so the novelty of actually playing this was delightful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Watching the current Silent Hill Downpour LP, something just jumped out at me - it calls it's own sidequests "sidequests". To me that comes across weird, because it seems out of character for the person your playing as to call them something so frivolous. It's like the difference between "I can't save your farm, I'm on the main quest to save the world!" and "Oh, your farm is being attacked? I'd feel kind of poo poo if I didn't help, and the main objective may require me to cross that farm anyway, so win-win."

Sidequest sounds optional, like Murphy's going to waste a few hours playing videogames after a boss fight, while Optional Objective sounds more like it will help in the long run like refueling a car that serves to distract an enemy later, or even just Helping People sounds like you'd be being an rear end in a top hat not to. I know we always call them sidequests, but the writers are trying to set a mood - they aren't supposed to be our buddies, they are supposed to be our tour guides through the worlds that they are crafting, there needs to be a measure of Kayfabe, a veneer of "This is really happening to these people" or the sidequests start to feel overly pointless.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

All of the sidequests in Downpour are pointless though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Schubalts posted:

The loving mop scene/ad didn't really help with this, though. Jesus Christ, why did they think that would go over well with fans of the franchise?

I thought it was funny? I like the originals a lot and played DMC3 more times than i feel comfortable admitting and i dont understand why nerds take a cheeky scene like that as actively venomous.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I thought it was funny? I like the originals a lot and played DMC3 more times than i feel comfortable admitting and i dont understand why nerds take a cheeky scene like that as actively venomous.

Fans: "Hey guys your new character sucks, Dante is supposed to have white hair"

*devs put in a scene where Dante looks like he has white hair*

Dante: "Pffft, not a in a million years" *rips off wig*

Yeah I dunno how that can rub people the wrong way either.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
On Metroid...

This video does a nice review of Samus Returns, while comparing it to the original GB game and AM2R, the fan made remake that came out last year before a DMCA request took it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WkEoYvlUF0

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Leal posted:

It's not attacking old Dante though, otherwise they'd go for more jabs like how dual pistols are so lame, just that the new guy wasn't aping the old guy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Leal posted:

You'd have to be pretty hypersensitive to actually get angry about a small goof like that. I guess we are talking about videogame fans here.

If enough people had bought that game for it to get sequel then we would have had a DmC where Dante had white hair :v:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's not attacking old Dante though, otherwise they'd go for more jabs like how dual pistols are so lame, just that the new guy wasn't aping the old guy.

It was a scene essentially saying that Dante's original design was not good. DmC Dante saying that white hair looks terrible is a pretty blatant jab at every previous Dante's more popular design, especially when his new look was one of the things fans immediately disliked.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Its saying the character doesnt like how it looks, jeez. Why just ape the character design exactly? They kept the coat that felt good enough of a nod.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

If by ape the character design, you mean make Dante look like literally every other Dante in the Devil May Cry franchise, then yea. That's what people wanted out of a Devil May Cry game. People wanted more stylish action starring Pizza Fiend Dante, his Lil Buddy Nero, and Crazy Uncle Vergil.

If they had only dropped the white hair, that would be different. But they specifically made a scene just to say that white hair would look terrible. Nobody would have been as mad about it if they hadn't added what the complainers viewed as a "gently caress you" to people who liked original Dante more.

I do not know how you can not understand why that pissed people off.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I think it's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Schubalts posted:

I do not know how you can not understand why that pissed people off.

Because the way you put it makes it sounds like whiny pissbaby poo poo that no one should care about.