Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

I'm the opposite, I'm just there to find a very specific, often obscure book. I stopped bothering with BN entirely after consecutive books that they claimed were in stock at a store but weren't.

Same thing with certain home depots near me; the one in San Carlos is mess while the one in East Palo Alto has always been consistently accurate. But the basic/common parts still have bad markup or are phony* online so I still go to hardware stores and/or Frys for that.

* don't bother trying to find accurate gauge wire on amazon

I can get that from a reliable independent bookstore, though, along with impulse buys from browsing. B&N has gone from decent because they had a big inventory at least, to all but useless outside of whatever is on the top-ten this week. As one of those people that prefers physical copies for books, I'll be glad to see them go under and take more pressure off the small bookstores they managed not to kill off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Krispy Wafer posted:

Browsing is cool, but I don't know how sustainable it is. About the only store I'll browse and buy stuff from without even trying to price match online is Microcenter. But that's because I love Microcenter and will pay extra to shop there. I'd rather wait a week and save $2 than give Best Buy or B&N my money.

Back to Halloween chat, has anyone noticed whether his Presidency means you can use his trademarked name now?

Or it just going to be Yelling President?

Our main book chain in the UK has turned it around after a bad few years and is growing again, and there's an indy chain which is going from strength to strength as well, so there's some kind of market out there for real bookshops. I think physical books are less price elastic than people expect since even at the £10 average price point for a paperback they're cheap as gently caress. Plus reading for pleasure is still broadly a middle class habit and that's a demographic which can be less sensitive to price.

Article about Waterstones' revival which might be interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/feb/03/balancing-the-books-how-waterstones-returned-to-profit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im convinced all those halloween stores are owned by like one shady as gently caress chinaman he uses to hawk his lovely factory wares.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burns posted:

Im convinced all those halloween stores are owned by like one shady as gently caress chinaman he uses to hawk his lovely factory wares.

Chinaman, huh.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Let's not jump to conclusions here, he could be talking about a man made out of bone china.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Burns posted:

Also, Burns, Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian American, please.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mammal Sauce posted:

Also, Burns, Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian American, please.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh wait is he a gimmick poster in the character of Mr. Burns? Because I could get into that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

I hate Staples because when you pay with a chip it gives you Visa debit and US debit as your options. WTF? I always have to ask which one is which. Just say credit or debit.

Get used to this.. The terminal is showing you the "applications" on your chip card, this is a feature of EMV. The option listed with the credit card brand "i.e. VISA DEBIT, MASTERCARD DEBIT" is actually the credit option. US DEBIT or DEBIT is the debit option.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

blugu64 posted:

So did sports authority

So does Sports Authority. I was in Denver a few months back for work and the stadium is still named Sports Authority Field.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

uli2000 posted:

So does Sports Authority. I was in Denver a few months back for work and the stadium is still named Sports Authority Field.

They want 5+ million a year plus a multiyear contract for a stadium that everyone refers to as Mile High. Itll be Sports Authority for a while.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Halloween stores are an important part of the political progress, mask sales have predicted the winning Presidential candidate for years now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Halloween stores are an important part of the political progress, mask sales have predicted the winning Presidential candidate for years now.

I look forward to casting my vote for the Radioactive Warlord Death Cult with Razor Teeth mask in advance of the 2019 village cull.

Ironically in the post-Trump apocalypse, Sears stores are the most popular places to trade skins and animal organs.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Of course they would. With the large amount of physical space that will never be reused, many Sears shopping centres will simply end up deteriorating into unusable conditions. From there, the homeless population will sneak in and make use of the unusable space, building shantytowns that evolve into full fledged communities. And as the Simpsons prophesied, the post-Trump depression will make not tearing down these buildings a more financially viable strategy. As these buildings become more decrepit, the secret communities actually strengthen the skeleton while letting the metaphorical flesh rot off, intentionally. When the economy takes a minor upswing, those in power will finally wish to destroy those who live outside their walls, and operation 'Destroy Sears for Good' begins. But anyone who ventures inside, with aim to forcibly remove the illegal vagrants, never returns. The spokespeople for these communities declare they have done nothing to these disappearance, never laying a finger against their destructors. Eventually, their bodies are removed from the buildings, having been found under the rubble of fallen ceilings, drowned in rivers of waste that came from the washrooms, and somehow recovered from near bottomless sinkholes. The world comes to conclusion, the active deterioration of these buildings has become weaponized. Where the native population know how to live within these ecosystems, those without knowledge of the safe passages would surely parish. The vagrants have become one with the ecosystem of late stage capitalism, and those who built it have failed to make it past the greeter's podium.

The only solution is to destroy the buildings, regardless of the lives inside. Some try bombs, some use fire, but the end result is all the same. As stucco and plaster fall away, what's left in their place is an impenetrable system of reclaimed and re-purposed trash that is people's homes. Those who had been denied place and access within our society have forcibly taken it from us, and built something stronger in it's place. Knowing that nothing can destroy what is now the strongest fortresses in the land, the Sears Dwellers proclaim sovereignty. Our children, acknowledging the way the wind is blowing, leave to join this society. Overnight their populations triple, even those who had once been senators and CEOs had bowed down to their will. It was said they were the footsoldiers when they forcibly took control of the Toys R' Us', and it was then when we knew the American Empire was to fall.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Of course they would. With the large amount of physical space that will never be reused, many Sears shopping centres will simply end up deteriorating into unusable conditions. From there, the homeless population will sneak in and make use of the unusable space, building shantytowns that evolve into full fledged communities. And as the Simpsons prophesied, the post-Trump depression will make not tearing down these buildings a more financially viable strategy. As these buildings become more decrepit, the secret communities actually strengthen the skeleton while letting the metaphorical flesh rot off, intentionally. When the economy takes a minor upswing, those in power will finally wish to destroy those who live outside their walls, and operation 'Destroy Sears for Good' begins. But anyone who ventures inside, with aim to forcibly remove the illegal vagrants, never returns. The spokespeople for these communities declare they have done nothing to these disappearance, never laying a finger against their destructors. Eventually, their bodies are removed from the buildings, having been found under the rubble of fallen ceilings, drowned in rivers of waste that came from the washrooms, and somehow recovered from near bottomless sinkholes. The world comes to conclusion, the active deterioration of these buildings has become weaponized. Where the native population know how to live within these ecosystems, those without knowledge of the safe passages would surely parish. The vagrants have become one with the ecosystem of late stage capitalism, and those who built it have failed to make it past the greeter's podium.

The only solution is to destroy the buildings, regardless of the lives inside. Some try bombs, some use fire, but the end result is all the same. As stucco and plaster fall away, what's left in their place is an impenetrable system of reclaimed and re-purposed trash that is people's homes. Those who had been denied place and access within our society have forcibly taken it from us, and built something stronger in it's place. Knowing that nothing can destroy what is now the strongest fortresses in the land, the Sears Dwellers proclaim sovereignty. Our children, acknowledging the way the wind is blowing, leave to join this society. Overnight their populations triple, even those who had once been senators and CEOs had bowed down to their will. It was said they were the footsoldiers when they forcibly took control of the Toys R' Us', and it was then when we knew the American Empire was to fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zov7PEXdVZk

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SomeJazzyRat posted:

sir this is a mcdonald's drive through

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Dredd prequel pitch looking good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gorgar posted:

I have one of the big lions. Think I got it at a zoo in Louisville.

Same, I've got the one Barron Trump has.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Our local mall's Sears is having the bottom level converted to a Dave and Busters

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
There's a Sears in St. Paul MN that has a DMV on the top floor.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Haifisch posted:

This makes me wonder how much longer Barnes & Noble is going to hold on. I know they pushed their e-reader/tablet hard and pretty much all of them have a Starbucks now, but there's no way that'd be enough to save them in the long term.

The Barnes & Noble near me is basically a toy store. There's as much floorspace devoted to Legos and Settlers of Catan as there is to books.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

The Barnes & Noble near me is basically a toy store. There's as much floorspace devoted to Legos and Settlers of Catan as there is to books.
Borders tried the same thing before they went under.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible that all these retail stores will just disappear in our lifetimes? And what will replace them?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Star posted:

Is it possible that all these retail stores will just disappear in our lifetimes? And what will replace them?

Amazon dropoffs, restaurants, rub n tug parlors.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Barudak posted:

Amazon dropoffs, restaurants, rub n tug parlors.

God willing

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Blue Star posted:

Around my way, gyms.

We have two gyms in a very small town.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You like to tan don't you. Well you're going to have lots of tanning parlors.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
"chinaman" still sounds cooler than asian american tbqh

Kojima even considered naming a Metal Gear boss "ChinaMan" before axeing the idea which is a shame because it would have told us 10 years earlier that he was earnest and oblivious

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Willing to bet money that the dead mall area in The Last of Us: Left Behind is based on pictures of this mall

http://sephlawless.com/gallery/abandoned-snow-mall/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYYPN5pRGLA&t=120s

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blue Star posted:

Other retail stores, just smaller and not as many. There's no reason to ever think that the way things were when you were a kid is the way things always will be, or should be. Most of the gnashing of teeth about "millennials are killing X" is lovely bad overextended companies rightly disappearing. Megastores weren't a particularly good way to buy books. Casual full-service restaurants didn't serve particularly good food. No store that hits a peak of appearing on every main street in America gets to stay that way. Just ask FootLocker, the last gasp of Woolworth's and formerly the most ubiquitous store in the country.

Most of the American retail landscape was shaped by mass suburbanization and car-dependent development. Turns out that's an expensive and unpleasant way to live, so people are gradually stopping. The US is massively oversupplied in retail space because the ethos of suburban sprawl is you don't go to one central store for everybody, you go to YOUR Borders and YOUR Chili's where you never run the risk of seeing any filthy minorities or poor people.

We never ever needed 200 branches of the same chain in a single state, let alone the same city. Things are contracting back to a more sustainable arrangement and it's going to be just fine.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

We never ever needed 200 branches of the same chain in a single state, let alone the same city. Things are contracting back to a more sustainable arrangement and it's going to be just fine.
The same goes for the mall ecosystem. Most malls are 99% the same stores you'll find in every other mall, but it's not uncommon to have 3 or more malls within reasonable driving distance of each other. There's been a push towards open air malls, but it's the same poo poo in an environment that may or may not be more pleasant depending on the weather.

Even if the rest of the retail landscape was doing fine, we probably would have seen a mall contraction from that alone.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Willing to bet money that the dead mall area in The Last of Us: Left Behind is based on pictures of this mall

http://sephlawless.com/gallery/abandoned-snow-mall/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYYPN5pRGLA&t=120s

That was my childhood mall :(.

Once the biggest mall east of the Mississippi, it turned into a hellhole by the late 90s. By the late 2000s it was all but abandoned and had nothing but a JC Penney outlet store and a dying Sears. Today it's just waiting to be demolished - I did some Urb-X in there a few years ago and it was the most depressing nostalgia trip you could ever take :(

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Other retail stores, just smaller and not as many. There's no reason to ever think that the way things were when you were a kid is the way things always will be, or should be. Most of the gnashing of teeth about "millennials are killing X" is lovely bad overextended companies rightly disappearing. Megastores weren't a particularly good way to buy books. Casual full-service restaurants didn't serve particularly good food. No store that hits a peak of appearing on every main street in America gets to stay that way. Just ask FootLocker, the last gasp of Woolworth's and formerly the most ubiquitous store in the country.

Most of the American retail landscape was shaped by mass suburbanization and car-dependent development. Turns out that's an expensive and unpleasant way to live, so people are gradually stopping. The US is massively oversupplied in retail space because the ethos of suburban sprawl is you don't go to one central store for everybody, you go to YOUR Borders and YOUR Chili's where you never run the risk of seeing any filthy minorities or poor people.

Cool. I wont miss all the chilis and megastores.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Sep 30, 2017

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Around my way, gyms.

We have two gyms in a very small town.

it is so people can say "lets not go to that gym lets go to the good one"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Our local mall's Sears is having the bottom level converted to a Dave and Busters

I would say they're in the Bargaining phase, but D&B is hardly a bargain.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

There's a Sears in St. Paul MN that has a DMV on the top floor.

It's so god drat odd. It's not like "Sears rented a chunk of back office space to the DMV," oh no, it's right out there on the floor.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

When they finally tore down the once thriving mall in my home town they discovered a bunch of dead bodies buried under it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

shadowvine118 posted:

When they finally tore down the once thriving mall in my home town they discovered a bunch of dead bodies buried under it.

From when they built it or further back or after it was built?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

JB50 posted:

From when they built it or further back or after it was built?

My bad- it wasn't so much under the mall directly as within the vicinity of the mall. Apparently, the mall was nicknamed "Mall of Murder" before it closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

shadowvine118 posted:

My bad- it wasn't so much under the mall directly as within the vicinity of the mall. Apparently, the mall was nicknamed "Mall of Murder" before it closed.

I still want more details because this is actually intriguing