Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/politico/status/913894931147706369

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/status/913877589537804293

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

who cares

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"for some reason, ed balls seems to come up a lot"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

logikv9 posted:

i've rigged the forums to blow if the government attempts to document my long history of bad posts

my posts already blow

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sloppo posted:

dude's name is everywhere, he must have either really owned or been a total fuckin monster

He was one of the few guys Hamilton actually got fairly right. Guy was basically one of the reasons we won our war, he hated England, was a brilliant leader, and is beloved here especially in formerly French parts of America, hence so much Cajun stuff named for him. I myself grew up in Lafayette so I've always had an interest in him.

In france he was a bit more...complex he was the dude who was the commander in chief of the french national guard and founded Society of 1789 with Bailly. He was basically the leader of the moderate voices in the revolution in a time when 'moderate' was 'maybe we don't need to shoot the queen in front of her children'.

He lost the public when his men (not on his orders) gunned down protesters. When the constitution was made his first act was to resign as commander in chief but it's pretty impossible to recover from 'the guy who was seen as a man who wanted to avoid bloodshed led the guard when they gunned us down for the sin of protesting'.

He went on to be a general during the war with Austria but hilariously a ton of his men were Jacobins and those guys were mad salty that they had to listen to basically anyone because those people were lunatics, so he had to constantly deal with that in the most hilarious bit of history repeating during that period for France.

Unfortunately at that time when he was saying 'hey maybe these guys who just kinda wanna burn everything down are loving insane' that was also the time when the radicals were coming to power in France, so that didn't end well. He called for moderates to oppose them but Robespierre called him a traitor and that was basically all that the crowd needed. Dude got a warrant for his arrest when the royals got got and he fled to contested lands and arrested by Austrians.

He was a prisoner for a long time, he tried to reach Napoleon for a negotiation but the dude said only if Lafayette swore loyalty to him in return. Lafayette said 'that's literally what I spent my life fighting against you goon' so Napoleon did Napoleon stuff and had every bit of property he owned sold so that even when Lafayette got out he'd be a pauper. That'll teach him to say Napoleon is a petty tyrant!

When he was out he spent his last stage of life enjoying his beloved status in America. He had a nice big tour of America and even opened his home up to travelling Americans who wanted to meet him and all. Dude loved America and it's kinda a genuinely sweet story that he at least had one place he could consider welcoming to him.

The dude very much was not a royalist, he very much wanted the people to have dignity and equality. The Society of 1789 was fairly conservative, wanting to remain a constitutional monarchy rather than a full on republic. You can talk all you want about the pros and cons and frankly I disagree with his idea that the monarchy NEEDED to be preserved as a national symbol but you can look to a lot of places for an example where you have a nation maintain its monarchy while allowing progressive voices to rise. I think at his core he was a fairly good man. He was a big part of the Bourbon Restoration and even did things like trying to allow Napoleon to serve his exile in America as a compromise even after he got his poo poo wrecked for failing to suck the imperial cock.

The man was one of the writers of The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, and when that failed to properly address slavery he wrote tons of letters explicitly saying "YO SLAVERY IS hosed UP, THIS IS ME BIG DADDY LAFAYETTE TELLING YOU SLAVERY IS NOT COOL". He was a complex character in history but I think overall history looks kindly on him as an American hero and a man with noble intent if rather weak resolve at times in France

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
im fuckin done with bill mitchell until he explains why trump deleted his pro strange tweets

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

nestlea is an insanely lovely company, and any company that makes money from bottling loving WATER should be shot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Agrajag posted:

do it again bb do it again that felt so goooood oh yeeee

Gooooorkas wife is still at DHS and up to no good: https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnhudson/the-gorka-that-matters-isnt-leaving-the-trump-administration?utm_term=.fszJo8baq#.ln6N0JjMe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

sexpig by night posted:

He was one of the few guys Hamilton actually got fairly right. Guy was basically one of the reasons we won our war, he hated England, was a brilliant leader, and is beloved here especially in formerly French parts of America, hence so much Cajun stuff named for him. I myself grew up in Lafayette so I've always had an interest in him.

In france he was a bit more...complex he was the dude who was the commander in chief of the french national guard and founded Society of 1789 with Bailly. He was basically the leader of the moderate voices in the revolution in a time when 'moderate' was 'maybe we don't need to shoot the queen in front of her children'.

He lost the public when his men (not on his orders) gunned down protesters. When the constitution was made his first act was to resign as commander in chief but it's pretty impossible to recover from 'the guy who was seen as a man who wanted to avoid bloodshed led the guard when they gunned us down for the sin of protesting'.

He went on to be a general during the war with Austria but hilariously a ton of his men were Jacobins and those guys were mad salty that they had to listen to basically anyone because those people were lunatics, so he had to constantly deal with that in the most hilarious bit of history repeating during that period for France.

Unfortunately at that time when he was saying 'hey maybe these guys who just kinda wanna burn everything down are loving insane' that was also the time when the radicals were coming to power in France, so that didn't end well. He called for moderates to oppose them but Robespierre called him a traitor and that was basically all that the crowd needed. Dude got a warrant for his arrest when the royals got got and he fled to contested lands and arrested by Austrians.

He was a prisoner for a long time, he tried to reach Napoleon for a negotiation but the dude said only if Lafayette swore loyalty to him in return. Lafayette said 'that's literally what I spent my life fighting against you goon' so Napoleon did Napoleon stuff and had every bit of property he owned sold so that even when Lafayette got out he'd be a pauper. That'll teach him to say Napoleon is a petty tyrant!

When he was out he spent his last stage of life enjoying his beloved status in America. He had a nice big tour of America and even opened his home up to travelling Americans who wanted to meet him and all. Dude loved America and it's kinda a genuinely sweet story that he at least had one place he could consider welcoming to him.

The dude very much was not a royalist, he very much wanted the people to have dignity and equality. The Society of 1789 was fairly conservative, wanting to remain a constitutional monarchy rather than a full on republic. You can talk all you want about the pros and cons and frankly I disagree with his idea that the monarchy NEEDED to be preserved as a national symbol but you can look to a lot of places for an example where you have a nation maintain its monarchy while allowing progressive voices to rise. I think at his core he was a fairly good man. He was a big part of the Bourbon Restoration and even did things like trying to allow Napoleon to serve his exile in America as a compromise even after he got his poo poo wrecked for failing to suck the imperial cock.

The man was one of the writers of The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, and when that failed to properly address slavery he wrote tons of letters explicitly saying "YO SLAVERY IS hosed UP, THIS IS ME BIG DADDY LAFAYETTE TELLING YOU SLAVERY IS NOT COOL". He was a complex character in history but I think overall history looks kindly on him as an American hero and a man with noble intent if rather weak resolve at times in France

sir this is macdonad's tavern, beer or wine?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
quick someone nominate me, a doctor, for HHS

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

-timmy, age 11

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

logikv9 posted:

i've rigged the forums to blow if the government attempts to document my long history of bad posts

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

DrPossum posted:

quick someone nominate me, a doctor, for HHS

overqualified and not a general

there's only one place ur going now, pal

:thermidor:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

.....radium????????

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

hello i am terrorist its true they did not negotiate me

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/913898713143234560

quote:

Bumbling Homer, housewife Marge, troublemaker Bart, prodigy Lisa and baby Maggie, who have captured the changing face of America over 28 years, become “The Serfsons” in the season 29 premiere on Fox on Sunday.

In 2000, “The Simpsons” joked in an episode titled “Bart to the Future” that Trump would enter the White House and said his presidency would ruin the economy.

But executive producer Matt Selman said the daily show, which takes more than a year to produce each season, cannot keep up with jokes about Trump since he won the 2016 election.

“There’s a massive industry of nothing but Trump comedy,” he said in an interview. “We can’t beat them to the punch. We can only show how Trump’s America has sadly seeped its way into Springfield.”

For the new series, the family live in a feudal medieval society where goblins, ogres and dragons exist, 8-year-old Lisa Simpson can do magic and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau from “Game of Thrones” plays Marge’s horny twin brother.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

logikv9 posted:

*tugs on thread of posts tied together, each saying TRUMP, seemingly endlessly*

WHAT KIND OF MAGIC IS THIS

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

A Handed Missus posted:

overqualified and not a general

there's only one place ur going now, pal

:thermidor:

someone nominate me for HHS of cspam

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

cant wait for cable news 2 die + all of their viewers :gizz:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

He did a cuck move by supporting the July monarchy instead of morally correct Republicanism

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

he would have voted for Hillary

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCz_LF9BH0

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

logikv9 posted:

why? it would take them a century to read it

especially if you dont stop

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

he would have voted for Hillary

Yeah he was a total centrist liberal

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

how wild would napoleon in america have been

napoleon taking up a new life commanding artillery in the war of 1812

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lawman 0 posted:

He did a cuck move by supporting the July monarchy instead of morally correct Republicanism

I think if the Republicans at the time weren't entirely run by the Jacobites he probably would have had a less "OH NOOOOOO" reaction to them. I think he hampered a lot by trying to pitch 'actually you know the monarchy can have value' at a time when the debate was 'I'd like loving food' vs 'lol ur so poor, why u so poor'.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

reminder that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH3ZjJCyufU

this happened

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ab ki bar, piss sarkar

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

been a while since a good onion article

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Princess Died posted:

um guys...

we were kidding about the anti mattering shield an all but...

I maintain that the "no guillotines in the Rose Garden equals nothing matters" crew are all dotards of the lowest caliber considering a full blown gently caress Everyone army of lawyers are climbing up the asses of the entire West Wing as we type impotently at one another.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

This happens in the same timeline where marx bums off his family in Texas instead of europe.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau from “Game of Thrones” plays Marge’s horny twin brother.

alright, 2017 you win

i give up

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jazerus posted:

Imagine America with the metric system

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

man I'm re-encoding a lot of my CD's and I'm missing a ton of them. Not very happy about it!

Mechanical Animals and Exile on Coldharbour Lane are ones I wanted to put into flac because I adore them so much but now t hye're AWOL

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q_KJgkf2bk

friday night jam

:420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

euphronius posted: