Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That was extremely Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Taylors "pretty much" clinch the P championship by starting Petit Le Mans according to FS1 at the end of the broadcast today. :getin:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
They get the team championship by starting. Driver championship they have to drive 45 minutes I think.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

They get the team championship by starting. Driver championship they have to drive 45 minutes I think.

Basically to the first driver switch then?

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I find myself looking more forward to 2018 than seeing how 2017 wraps up, given how big the points spreads are in all three classes. Very little chance of any upsets at Petit Le Mans. Still, 2017 has been a great year of racing overall.

In related news, there is a lot of firepower converging on DPi right now. Word on the street is that Felipe Nasr is going to be Dane Cameron's replacement at AXR and Ollie Jarvis might be joining Mazda Team Joest next year in place of Joel Miller or Tom Long. I'm hoping they retain Spencer Pigot as the fourth driver on their squad instead of another ex-Audi LMP1 driver, even though the caliber of competition next year makes grabbing the platinum guys an obvious move.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

I find myself looking more forward to 2018 than seeing how 2017 wraps up, given how big the points spreads are in all three classes. Very little chance of any upsets at Petit Le Mans. Still, 2017 has been a great year of racing overall.

In related news, there is a lot of firepower converging on DPi right now. Word on the street is that Felipe Nasr is going to be Dane Cameron's replacement at AXR and Ollie Jarvis might be joining Mazda Team Joest next year in place of Joel Miller or Tom Long. I'm hoping they retain Spencer Pigot as the fourth driver on their squad instead of another ex-Audi LMP1 driver, even though the caliber of competition next year makes grabbing the platinum guys an obvious move.

Isn't Pigot all-but confirmed in an IndyCar ride next year? Yeah, he's going to be in the 20 Ed Carpenter car. So he won't be a shot for full season with Mazda.

And your post doesn't even include discussion of who's going to fill the final seat(s?) at Penske-Acura. Bah gawd.

Need to catch up on some of these races (thanks IMSA YouTube channel), looking forward to Petit as well, but man next January is going to be awesome as well.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

2018 IMSA Weathertech Sportscar Championship is going to be a nonstop erection from January through October IMO.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

orange juche posted:

2018 IMSA Weathertech Sportscar Championship is going to be a nonstop erection from January through October IMO.

IMSA 2018 is gonna own

Indycar 2018 is gonna own

NASCAR 2018 is gonna be ow

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL2HF-sFLnc

I hope we see racing of this caliber next year

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The onboard shots with the fireworks going on in the background made this so loving epic

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

The onboard shots with the fireworks going on in the background made this so loving epic

I want to say that at the time Risi Competizione and Flying Lizard Motorsports were both factory teams, not customers. Their presence in GT2 seems a bit odd in this clip :thunk:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

Isn't Pigot all-but confirmed in an IndyCar ride next year? Yeah, he's going to be in the 20 Ed Carpenter car. So he won't be a shot for full season with Mazda.

And your post doesn't even include discussion of who's going to fill the final seat(s?) at Penske-Acura. Bah gawd.

Need to catch up on some of these races (thanks IMSA YouTube channel), looking forward to Petit as well, but man next January is going to be awesome as well.

I hadn't heard Pigot signed a deal in Indy. That's good for him. He often looked a lot more impressive in the last year of the Lola Mazda prototype than the fulltime drivers.

I didn't talk about Penske because I hadn't heard anything new lately beyond the old Helio Castroneves-Ricky Taylor superteam rumors.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I was thinking about going to Sebring since both IMSA and WEC would be there but campsites and hotes were all booked. So I am going to Daytona instead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I was thinking about going to Sebring since both IMSA and WEC would be there but campsites and hotes were all booked. So I am going to Daytona instead.

2018 or 2019 Sebring (2019 is the combined event with WEC and IMSA)? If theyre already selling tickets for 2019 Sebring that is nuts that its completely sold out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Tickets at Sebring don't work like other tracks, you don't reserve campsites (except for a few trackside areas). Every car pass is a campsite pass, essentially. You drive into the infield, first come first serve, and plop down where you want and stake your claim. Thats it.

The infield camp areas do fill up by Friday afternoon though, so get there Thursday if you can to get a good spot not directly next to the main cruising road (Friday night, it becomes a thoroughfare of drunk hillbillys in coal rolling trucks with underaged girls in the back), one of the shoddily assembled concert venues, or leaning towers of scaffolding blasting butt-rock.

Sebring is fun.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Ah, well my reading comprehension is not very good apparently. My dad who lives in Florida was the one looking for campsites and the like for Sebring. I'll have to keep that in mind for 2019.

Still pretty excited about 24 hours of Daytona though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Tickets at Sebring don't work like other tracks, you don't reserve campsites (except for a few trackside areas). Every car pass is a campsite pass, essentially. You drive into the infield, first come first serve, and plop down where you want and stake your claim. Thats it.

The infield camp areas do fill up by Friday afternoon though, so get there Thursday if you can to get a good spot not directly next to the main cruising road (Friday night, it becomes a thoroughfare of drunk hillbillys in coal rolling trucks with underaged girls in the back), one of the shoddily assembled concert venues, or leaning towers of scaffolding blasting butt-rock.

Sebring is fun.

I thought all US tracks had general admission camping areas where you paid to park and that was your camp site. My only experience with track camping is repeated trips to the petit le mans and camping at the bottom of the esses at turn 5.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

orange juche posted:

I thought all US tracks had general admission camping areas where you paid to park and that was your camp site. My only experience with track camping is repeated trips to the petit le mans and camping at the bottom of the esses at turn 5.

Depends on the track and event. Sportscars have more of the free-for-all camping stuff, but IndyCar/NASCAR events tend to assign each spot individually (although some road course events still have free-for-all areas. I think Barber did for IndyCar, for example).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I am currently plotting evil machinations, i.e. driving 10 hours from Baltimore to Road Atlanta to go to the PLM. I haven't missed one since I got out of the Navy, so this would be the first one I miss. I have camping gear at my dad's place, and as long as I can sucker one of my work buddies to take PTO so I'm not driving 10 hours by myself I might do this thing. I get free camping pass because ex military :yeah:, so my total outlay would be cost of poo poo to go to track (grillable meats, grill, 2 tanks of gas, beer) and 2 four day tickets.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 27, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Penske may not run Petite cause Helio balled the car up in testing last week:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/144557-penske-petit-decision-looming

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

You can't push me out of IndyCar into a prototype car drive if I destroy the prototype car.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As was rumored a while back, Cadillac is closing their PWC team after 11 years. http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/09/28/cadillac-ends-its-title-winning-pwc-program/

Also Action Express is shuffling the line ups next year:
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/144566-nasr-albuquerque-join-action-express-for-2018

Nasr replaces Cameron in the #31, with Conway joining on the enduros. In the #5, Fittipaldi is semi-retiring and becomes the enduro driver, with Albuquerque becoming the full time driver with Barbosa.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Are they diverting all efforts to the DPi effort? Or will they be running in both Prototype and GTD in IMSA?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

Penske may not run Petite cause Helio balled the car up in testing last week:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/144557-penske-petit-decision-looming

They're in: http://www.teampenske.com/news/index.cfm/a/687/53456/Team_Penske%20to%20Enter%20Prestigious%20Petit%20Le%20Mans

One car with Montoya/Castroneves/Pagenaud.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:getin:

That's a loving dream team too.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

iospace posted:

Are they diverting all efforts to the DPi effort? Or will they be running in both Prototype and GTD in IMSA?

No, Prototypes only. They're not going to run any more ATS-V.Rs anywhere, and they're not going to sell them to anyone either.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

"In 2018, we will take a pause in Pirelli World Challenge as we focus completely on our effort in prototype sports car racing."

from the press release part of that article.

PWC is also mentioned as going customer-only, hence why the factory-backed Cadillac team is packing up. The ATS-V was only a GT3 for the purpose of PWC, they've never offered them for anybody else so it's hardly a surprise. I've already seen rumor of the European-built Callaway Corvette GT3 possibly opened for sales in the US - it was kept away by GM's Cadillac PWC program, so that may change now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

"In 2018, we will take a pause in Pirelli World Challenge as we focus completely on our effort in prototype sports car racing."

from the press release part of that article.

PWC is also mentioned as going customer-only, hence why the factory-backed Cadillac team is packing up. The ATS-V was only a GT3 for the purpose of PWC, they've never offered them for anybody else so it's hardly a surprise. I've already seen rumor of the European-built Callaway Corvette GT3 possibly opened for sales in the US - it was kept away by GM's Cadillac PWC program, so that may change now.

Yeah, I was phone posting when I made that, articles are a pain on it.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I'm disappointed that AXR did not put Nasr and Albuquerque in the same car. Imagine how much more convenient it would be to refer to the car as simply "The Felipes", ala "The Dylans" (Murcott and Machavern) in CTSC. And yes I know they're not spelled the same in either case

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/IMS/status/913794214726598656

hell yeah

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As theorized, looks like the Callaway GT3 is available for US teams now that the factory program is gone:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/09/29/the-corvette-c7-gt3-can-now-be-sold-raced-in-the-usa.html

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

As theorized, looks like the Callaway GT3 is available for US teams now that the factory program is gone:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/09/29/the-corvette-c7-gt3-can-now-be-sold-raced-in-the-usa.html

loving sweet. Too bad Stevenson are closing their doors or they'd totally get on board the Corvette. Hopefully some teams go and get one for stateside.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
So BTCC title decider became a wet fart, goddamit

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

CactusWeasle posted:

So BTCC title decider became a wet fart, goddamit

Yeah, absolutely gutted for Turkington after that drive in Race 2 :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kind of a funny taste for that tile too, given how poor Subaru was for the first half of the year there were clearly some performance adjustments involved, but it's BTCC, that stuff's always there. Sutton's a great young driver, to be fair.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/ginetta-lmp1-cars-ordered-960956/

this is good news, right?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i dunno i was kinda hoping nobody showed up and they were forced to address the elephant in the room. the more privateers show up in that worthless class to get stomped by Toyota (if they even come?), the longer the ACO can put off real changes. i guess if Toyota pulls the plug, it would be cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bold prediction: Toyota wins the 2018 24 hours of Le Mans, promptly takes ball and goes home

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

iospace posted:

Bold prediction: Toyota wins the 2018 24 hours of Le Mans, promptly takes ball and goes home

Ah, the Nico Rosberg strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Toyota can win it, but everyone will forever call them the Overall Winners* of the Le Mans 24.

• Locked thread