Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Sounds a lot like The Paper Chase but the ending is slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cormack posted:

I think that's it! I looked it up on Youtube, and it definitely rings a bell. I'm probably just misremembering the ending.

Thank you!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember a trailer a year or two ago, looked Western European (Irish I think). It was about a family that moved into the woods and were getting attacked by evil fairies or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

V--- Looks like The Hallow actually but got me close enough, cheers.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 24, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Retro Futurist posted:

I remember a trailer a year or two ago, looked Western European (Irish I think). It was about a family that moved into the woods and were getting attacked by evil fairies or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The Hollow

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

This one's been bugging me for years. I asked about it in the first version of this thread, but got no responses. I tried Google and the best I found was a post from another forum from someone who also remembered this scene but didn't know what movie it was from.

Movie was early 90's (maybe late 80's) and was clean enough to be on HBO in the middle of the day. Action comedy where this man and woman are on the run from some bad guys. At one point, the guy tries calling his friend Chico for help, but only gets his answering machine. Sometime after, the man and woman are cornered by goons in an apartment. Suddenly, this latino dude just somersaults through the window and lands on his feet. One of the goons asks who the hell he's supposed to be and he goes, "Super Chicano, rear end in a top hat!"

Then he proceeds to beat the crap out of the bad guys while the heroes are able to escape.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Cormack posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I seem to remember that he folds the grade result into a paper airplane and throws it into the ocean. The only part I can't remember is whether he actually looks at the grade before he does so. I'm pretty sure he doesn't. I seem to recall the basic ending as showing the feared Contract Law professor (John Houseman) grading the exams and giving the protagonist, who he's had a bit of a contentious relationship with throughout the film, an "A", but then the guy never opens the envelope or reads the grade before making the paper airplane.

Great movie and well worth seeing, plus there are some jokes/references that come from this film that you would otherwise never get (the business about the professor giving the student a dime and telling him to phone his mother to tell her he will never be a lawyer), and John Houseman with the archetype performance as the Imperious Professor.

It's funny because my good friend from college went to Harvard Law and basically never went to class. He didn't make Law Review but he didn't have a problem graduating either. I do like how the film shows the dynamics of a study group and the tensions between the students who are successful and the ones who are struggling or flunking out. The one guy who was really struggling in the study group was well portrayed and really sympathetic, and the scene where he goes to the "one weird trick" gimmick emergency tutor rings really true.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

My girlfriend and I have been racking our brains for ages trying to figure out which Japanese Godzilla movie she found a trailer for that, at one point, had an older guy on the streets of Tokyo start yelling at Godzilla mid-rampage only for Godzilla to turn around and do his screechy roar at the guy turning his hair white.

I could be misremembering the details, which is entirely likely as my memory is worth poo poo these days, but my girlfriend remembers the rough gist of that part of the trailer. Dude yells at Godzilla, Godzilla roars back.

Please help.

edit: I don't think it's Godzilla 2000, Tokyo SOS, Final Wars or All-Out Monster Attack, nor do I think it's Shin Godzilla

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 28, 2017

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

nm

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

an older guy on the streets of Tokyo start yelling at Godzilla mid-rampage only for Godzilla to turn around and do his screechy roar at the guy turning his hair white.

This sounds like it could be one of the many commercials featuring Godzilla. Is she sure it was a trailer?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

westborn posted:

This sounds like it could be one of the many commercials featuring Godzilla. Is she sure it was a trailer?

She thinks so, but it's been quite some time and you may well be right.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

This is quite a long shot but I have 2 very distinct memories about scenes of movies I've seen when i was younger, so these were probably for the 80's or early 90's, but google hasn't helped me much. Keep in mind, this was long and I might remembered the details completely wrong.

One of the movies has a scene with what I remember to be a bunch of well-dressed rich-looking people riding a of roller coaster in some sort of dungeon environment. the coaster was designed to kill them, and I remember spinning blades or spikes. I think this may have been a horror-comedy?

This one is hazier, but I'll give it a shot nonetheless. It was a scene with some sort of deformed creature in a tube, quite similar to the Guild navigators from Dune, and when a crowd of people (dressed in early 20th century formal clothing, bowler hats, ect) either look at it or listen to it, their heads either explode or melt similarly to the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I remember the shot being very greenish and brownish in color?

I know this is extremely vague, but if anyone has any idea, I'd appreciate it :)

neoaxd fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 29, 2017

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

neoaxd posted:

One of the movies has a scene with what I remember to be a bunch of well-dressed rich-looking people riding a of roller coaster in some sort of dungeon environment. the coaster was designed to kill them, and I remember spinning blades or spikes. I think this _may_ have been a horror-comedy?

Is it the evergreen Identify A Movie For Me Thread classic, NOTHING BUT TROUBLE?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUo-1TjdEs

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Is it the evergreen Identify A Movie For Me Thread classic, NOTHING BUT TROUBLE?

You are my hero :)

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That one and a couple others really should be in the OP

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't think this movie could be more than 3 years old at the most. The trailer opening shot was a peaceful meadow/ranch farm house but it soon became a Sci if horror as people just phased or teleported suddenly against their wish. There one minute and gone the next. I think it was about the father trying to save his kids from being taken.

Thanks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've never seen this movie, and I never will, but I've heard of this scene. Like... holy poo poo, the LEAST they could do would be to make it gore-y or something, but as it is it's not interesting, funny, or even disturbing.

Yeah, good job there.

Also, it's nuts how for such a terrible film (that I'm told), there looks to have been just as much work put into the sets and whatnot. I was thinking about that as the camera panned over the whole machine, like 'someone built all of that, and for what?'

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'll go to bat for Nothing But Trouble being a legit entertaining movie any day. Watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocS2GFICJoY

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It's definitely not low effort. Aykroyd and Candy are both playing multiple roles, and it even ends in a Looney Tunes gag. I like the movie even though I can recognize how terrible it really is. There's something about the ADR'd jokes, absolutely grotesque characters, and a full on music video that I really like.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

neoaxd posted:

This one is hazier, but I'll give it a shot nonetheless. It was a scene with some sort of deformed creature in a tube, quite similar to the Guild navigators from Dune, and when a crowd of people (dressed in early 20th century formal clothing, bowler hats, ect) either look at it or listen to it, their heads either explode or melt similarly to the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I remember the shot being very greenish and brownish in color?

I know this is extremely vague, but if anyone has any idea, I'd appreciate it :)

Was it this thing, by any chance?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Sir Nose posted:

Was it this thing, by any chance?

Possibly? My memory is so hazy, it's been more than 20 years.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

It's from The Haunted Palace (1963). It's a period piece, so everyone is wearing old-timey outfits. No exploding or melting heads though. There are some deformed mutant villagers though, maybe fuzzy memory is misremembering them as melting?

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
This should be an easy one, but for some reason I can't find anyone who remembers this.

I watched this probably in about 2006/7, and it wasn't too old then. I'd imagine it was made in the early/mid 2000s, but could be off by a handful of years.

It was a feature-length anime film, but a collection of three separate stories. I only remember two:

1. Astronauts are on some sort of space station that keeps making these bizarre constructs of people and environments. Memory's a bit hazy, but I think it turns out that some sort of computer is basing all of the imagery on the memories of a woman who is either dead or in some form of suspended animation on the station.

2. A bumbling idiot character is exposed to something in a lab, that makes his perspiration emit some sort of gas or miasma that makes people around him die. I remember there's a chase sequence through a tunnel with him on a moped as the authorities are after him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Edit: I can't read

morestuff fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 30, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Capn Jobe posted:

This should be an easy one, but for some reason I can't find anyone who remembers this.

I watched this probably in about 2006/7, and it wasn't too old then. I'd imagine it was made in the early/mid 2000s, but could be off by a handful of years.

It was a feature-length anime film, but a collection of three separate stories. I only remember two:

1. Astronauts are on some sort of space station that keeps making these bizarre constructs of people and environments. Memory's a bit hazy, but I think it turns out that some sort of computer is basing all of the imagery on the memories of a woman who is either dead or in some form of suspended animation on the station.

2. A bumbling idiot character is exposed to something in a lab, that makes his perspiration emit some sort of gas or miasma that makes people around him die. I remember there's a chase sequence through a tunnel with him on a moped as the authorities are after him.
Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories"?

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Skyscraper posted:

Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories"?

Bingo, that's it, thanks. And I'd completely forgotten about the third story, which was the one I enjoyed the most.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
This one time when I was a kid and I had a really bad fever, I stayed up very late and saw this really hosed-up movie on TV about what seemed to be some sort of crazy guy at an office that obsesses over this lady and gets increasingly insane until he one day comes in and starts shooting everyone. Like everything about this movie is generic as all gently caress, but the one scene that sticks with me is where the crazy guy comes into the office one day and gives the lady a toy truck, and says it's for her because she's like a child or something like that. There was nothing remotely interesting or redeemable about this movie.

Another movie that played on TV in the 90s late at night was this one where I only saw the intro scene of, there was some scared lady running and tripping and then she gets sucked into some street cleaning vehicle? I think hockey might have also been involved, unless I'm blending the memory of that with some other movie. They played this a few times on the local stations and I remember being scared of that vehicle running her over and I wasn't allowed to watch the rest of it.

Do either of those sound familiar to anyone?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I've been thinking lately of a scene from an early-90s or possibly late-80s film. I don't remember much about it except I think a couple of people get sucked into some alternate dimension (maybe husband and wife), and at one point they end up in a cave or something like that, and they're approached by these mushroom-like creatures. The man thinks they are cute and reaches out a hand to pet them, but they open their mouths and reveal big, nasty teeth and start chasing them.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

I've been thinking lately of a scene from an early-90s or possibly late-80s film. I don't remember much about it except I think a couple of people get sucked into some alternate dimension (maybe husband and wife), and at one point they end up in a cave or something like that, and they're approached by these mushroom-like creatures. The man thinks they are cute and reaches out a hand to pet them, but they open their mouths and reveal big, nasty teeth and start chasing them.

Mom and Dad Save the World.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Detective Thompson posted:

When I hear "early 90s husband and wife sucked into an alternate dimension", I think of Stay Tuned.

^e: ah, poo poo

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I actually had those two vaguely in mind. Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Origami Dali posted:

When I hear "early 90s husband and wife sucked into an alternate dimension", I think of Stay Tuned.

^e: ah, poo poo

Until the mushroom part, I was thinking the same thing.

I warship satin!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

This one's been bugging me for years. I asked about it in the first version of this thread, but got no responses. I tried Google and the best I found was a post from another forum from someone who also remembered this scene but didn't know what movie it was from.

Movie was early 90's (maybe late 80's) and was clean enough to be on HBO in the middle of the day. Action comedy where this man and woman are on the run from some bad guys. At one point, the guy tries calling his friend Chico for help, but only gets his answering machine. Sometime after, the man and woman are cornered by goons in an apartment. Suddenly, this latino dude just somersaults through the window and lands on his feet. One of the goons asks who the hell he's supposed to be and he goes, "Super Chicano, rear end in a top hat!"

Then he proceeds to beat the crap out of the bad guys while the heroes are able to escape.

I have got to find out what this movie is because that sounds incredible.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

goose willis posted:

This one time when I was a kid and I had a really bad fever, I stayed up very late and saw this really hosed-up movie on TV about what seemed to be some sort of crazy guy at an office that obsesses over this lady and gets increasingly insane until he one day comes in and starts shooting everyone. Like everything about this movie is generic as all gently caress, but the one scene that sticks with me is where the crazy guy comes into the office one day and gives the lady a toy truck, and says it's for her because she's like a child or something like that. There was nothing remotely interesting or redeemable about this movie.

Maybe this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760311/?ref_=nv_sr_1

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm trying to find the name of a (I think) Spanish-language movie. A teacher can see ghosts, and realizes five Breakfast Club pastiche ghosts are haunting the school after a fire. So he tutors the poo poo outta them so they can finally move on.

I want to say the title was something goofy like 'Ghost School' or 'Get the Ghosts to Graduate' but I'm not having any luck.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a (I think) Spanish-language movie. A teacher can see ghosts, and realizes five Breakfast Club pastiche ghosts are haunting the school after a fire. So he tutors the poo poo outta them so they can finally move on.

I want to say the title was something goofy like 'Ghost School' or 'Get the Ghosts to Graduate' but I'm not having any luck.

Promoción fantasma/Ghost Graduation?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

oldpainless posted:

I don't think this movie could be more than 3 years old at the most. The trailer opening shot was a peaceful meadow/ranch farm house but it soon became a Sci if horror as people just phased or teleported suddenly against their wish. There one minute and gone the next. I think it was about the father trying to save his kids from being taken.

Thanks.

Looper?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wow, so they made a big budget Real Ghostbusters episode?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's a really good movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hexenritter posted:

My girlfriend and I have been racking our brains for ages trying to figure out which Japanese Godzilla movie she found a trailer for that, at one point, had an older guy on the streets of Tokyo start yelling at Godzilla mid-rampage only for Godzilla to turn around and do his screechy roar at the guy turning his hair white.

I could be misremembering the details, which is entirely likely as my memory is worth poo poo these days, but my girlfriend remembers the rough gist of that part of the trailer. Dude yells at Godzilla, Godzilla roars back.

Please help.

edit: I don't think it's Godzilla 2000, Tokyo SOS, Final Wars or All-Out Monster Attack, nor do I think it's Shin Godzilla

You should ask this in the Godzilla thread. Those guys really know their Godzillas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Saw a movie late at night on cable (this would have been around 1991?). It was foreign, and subtitled. I only remember two scenes from it:

1.) A kid (I think) says something along the lines of "I never liked this painting. In fact, I hate it!" and slashes it up with a knife.

2.) An outdoor scene at night in which someone says "And now for the fireworks!" and they set off, like, four bottle rockets and everyone oohs and ahhs over it.