Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
my companys second biggest office is just north of heathrow. I assume its just like working just outside of ohare :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Stymie posted:

kudos to uk tech companies for working to rein in out of control programmer salaries

boo them and boo you!!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Stymie posted:

kudos to uk tech companies for working to rein in out of control programmer salaries

26k is pretty poo poo pay by UK standards too tbh for anyone with any experience at all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

[quote="“feedmegin”" post="“476915624”"]
26k is pretty poo poo pay by UK standards too tbh for anyone with any experience at all.
[/quote]don't

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

feedmegin posted:

26k is pretty poo poo pay by UK standards

It's a complete insult, but also

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

26k is better than many Welsh jobs :lol: Best option appears to find a nice WFH position.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

feedmegin posted:

agreed, closer in line to what programmers should be paid across the board

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tatsujin posted:

my companys second biggest office is just north of heathrow. I assume its just like working just outside of ohare :(

uxbridge is a loving dump

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I have a 2 hour and 15 minute phone interview scheduled for next week with Apple

I don't think this is going to be fun

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
best of luck to you!

what org?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

it's for an internship with the Mass Storage EPM and Engineering team. I'm not sure what an EPM internship can accomplish over a short summer availability window, but that's one of my questions for them

the first round, in-person interview I had a week or so ago went pretty well, I think

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

it's for an internship with the Mass Storage EPM and Engineering team. I'm not sure what an EPM internship can accomplish over a short summer availability window, but that's one of my questions for them

the first round, in-person interview I had a week or so ago went pretty well, I think

epms don't do anything so...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

Banks tend not to like WFH and are overly bureaucratic for employees but pretty good for contractors making a mess of things

in my experience the banks are not substantially different from other (non-technology) fortune 500 firms. once you get outside the google/facebook/amazon ball pits, nobody is real friendly to WFH or cowboy bullshit without change control. people want you to show up to the office and avoid fuckups.

if there is a difference it is that the banks are more technologically competent than your average non-fang firm :q:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

once you get outside the google/facebook/amazon ball pits, nobody is real friendly to WFH or cowboy bullshit without change control. people want you to show up to the office and avoid fuckups.

one of these things is not like the other

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Half my conference calls I take on speaker phone sitting in a kayak in the middle of a lake, or sitting on a couch in a music store with a touring musician strumming away on a $3,000 guitar.

This week I learnt IDC have a production tool called MADMAN that has zero error checking.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but summer is over.

if you're being called back you're already pretty good. they just have to clarify some stuff and figure out what to do with you.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but summer is over.

if you're being called back you're already pretty good. they just have to clarify some stuff and figure out what to do with you.
Interns can come at any season. It might even be slighty easier to get a non-summer internship because whether or not its summer doesn't make much difference to the people hosting you.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
yeah, we had a fall intern start in the last couple weeks

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Interns can come at any season. It might even be slighty easier to get a non-summer internship because whether or not its summer doesn't make much difference to the people hosting you.

Elysiume posted:

yeah, we had a fall intern start in the last couple weeks
er, this is for next summer already

I've been meeting with companies about internships next summer for the last few weeks. they start poaching from my campus early

I'm not in the Bay Area so I'm only interested in stuff over the summer

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 30, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol my company's hr doesn't post stuff for internships until January at the earliest and the number of interns is only finalized in February, interviews in March at the earliest

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they don't have to pay programmers better because they have a captive population.

literally everyone would like to live in london.

The only people who want to live in London are people who've never lived in London. When you get past all the bright lights and the Riverside pubs with views of parliament, you realise it is a loving shithole mate.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

feedmegin posted:

GCHQ offered me a job once as a new grad for £25k. Tbh the pay is okay when you consider the cost of living in Cheltenham/Gloucester, but like that's new graduate pay. And also gently caress working for the government.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's funny, I took a year out of work to travel and drink shitloads of beer in foreign countries, and then I come to Canada and get a job that pays more than I was getting in London. The UK is so bad and I'd only ever move back if I was legitimately motivated to do so.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“qhat”" post="“476929873”"]
It’s funny, I took a year out of work to travel and drink shitloads of beer in foreign countries, and then I come to Canada and get a job that pays more than I was getting in London. The UK is so bad and I’d only ever move back if I was legitimately motivated to do so.
[/quote]

and the county's answer was to tank the currency further

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

The only people who want to live in London are people who've never lived in London. When you get past all the bright lights and the Riverside pubs with views of parliament, you realise it is a loving shithole mate.

nevertheless that's where the jobs and the money are

every kid who grows up in a shithole town is moving to london to compete with expats and poo poo. employers pay poo poo because that's all they're obligated to pay

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i would never live in london on my current american salary, to say nothing of the peanuts that local employers wish to pay

the housing prices are bananas even compared the bay area

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i would never live in london on my current american salary, to say nothing of the peanuts that local employers wish to pay

the housing prices are bananas even compared the bay area

I've seen some developer and computer toucher comp rates in London, along with a few other forms of employment, and I have no idea how the hell the vast majority of the population does it. Family hand-me-downs, rent controls, and some local equivalent of Prop 13?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
At a job fair:
*Company Booth Guy with Enlightened Galaxy Brain*: "We do billions in revenue a year but we've still got that FAST-PACED BUT CASUAL STARTUP CULTURE."
*Me, Small Brain while Gritting Teeth": "Thank you for the info, I'll keep your company in mind."

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

House prices aren't that bad in London if you get paid an American salary. Like seriously you can get a good 2 bedroom condo for 300-400. The trouble is nobody who wants to live in London gets paid an American salary.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nevertheless that's where the jobs and the money are
nope and nope.

You can earn plenty and have a much much higher standard of living in most of the other big cities in the UK.
I could move my job to the London office tomorrow and would be hilariously worse off on the London salary because of the cost of living.

qhat posted:

House prices aren't that bad in London if you get paid an American salary. Like seriously you can get a good 2 bedroom condo for 300-400. The trouble is nobody who wants to live in London gets paid an American salary.

lol what

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i work for a very large London based firm that shoved all their tech to northern ireland because £45k a year makes you p rich here as opposed to scraping by in the south east

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EnergizerFellow posted:

I've seen some developer and computer toucher comp rates in London, along with a few other forms of employment, and I have no idea how the hell the vast majority of the population does it. Family hand-me-downs, rent controls, and some local equivalent of Prop 13?

Either a) council housing ('the projects' to you) or b) a very, very long commute.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jre posted:

nope and nope.

You can earn plenty and have a much much higher standard of living in most of the other big cities in the UK.
I could move my job to the London office tomorrow and would be hilariously worse off on the London salary because of the cost of living.

lol what

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E85302&minBedrooms=2&maxPrice=400000&sortType=1

FYI Woodford is one of the better places in London to live. Also ignore all the home wise poo poo, that's retirement properties and they list way underneath the market.

qhat fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 1, 2017

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Basically I'm not sure where people got this idea that London is like the bay area because it's definitely not. London actually has space to build but is limited by a lack of govt willingness to spend.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

qhat posted:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E85302&minBedrooms=2&maxPrice=400000&sortType=1

FYI Woodford is one of the better places in London to live. Also ignore all the home wise poo poo, that's retirement properties and they list way underneath the market.
loving old people

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

St Evan Echoes posted:

loving old people

Tories are running the country into the ground and old people continue to vote for them because it's means their savings continue to appreciate unsustainably.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

qhat posted:

Wow "only" 400-500k for a 2 hour commute to work. Wow you're right people are totally overstating this :ughh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jre posted:

Wow "only" 400-500k for a 2 hour commute to work. Wow you're right people are totally overstating this :ughh:

In the bay ppl pay 3mill for a 2 hour commute lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jre posted:

2 hours? Lol. Woodford is like 30 minutes away from the city. Have you actually ever been to London?

• Locked thread