Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

They're not going to allow those purchases to transfer to the switch, are they

Mind you, Wii is not Wii U, but I think the big problem with the Wii is that Nintendo completely hosed the dog on how digital purchases on the Wii are handled. If I'm not mistaken, the only device which has the records of what's owned is the Wii hardware itself, with no meaningful record existing on Nintendo's end (I don't think they had one other than for their rewards program). Not only is this a recognized problem for situations like if the Wii fails/is stolen and those purchases effectively being "lost" forever, but it also means that Nintendo doesn't really have a good way of differentiating a Wii full of legitimate purchases from a Wii that's been hacked; I think even with the Wii U people easily managed to get the discount on the Wii U versions with imports from a hacked Wii.

My hunch wrt Nintendo's approach for the Switch is that you'll be able to import stuff you have on Wii U (purchased with your Nintendo account) but probably not from the OG Wii. MAYBE with some luck there'll be some allowances if they still have the old Nintendo Rewards records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Kins posted:

Speaking of which, Nintendo has announced a shut-down schedule for the Wii Shop Channel.

Long Story Short:
4:59AM JST, March 27, 2018: No longer able to add Wii Points to account.
2:59PM JST, January 31, 2019: No longer able to purchase new items.
Unspecified Date In The Future: No longer able to redownload purchased items or use the Wii System Transfer app.

Hey on that note: Xbox 360 purchases of titles on the Indie Games channel shuts down sometime around October 1st to October 14th. These are your last few days to pick up XBLIG titles you don't already have, without messing with piracy.

Redownload should be available indefinitely but you won't be able to buy soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

My hunch wrt Nintendo's approach for the Switch is that you'll be able to import stuff you have on Wii U (purchased with your Nintendo account) but probably not from the OG Wii. MAYBE with some luck there'll be some allowances if they still have the old Nintendo Rewards records.

I would not be surprised if whatever mechanism used to divine pre-existing Wii Shop Channel purchases in the WiiU eShop is hacky as poo poo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I would not be surprised if whatever mechanism used to divine pre-existing Wii Shop Channel purchases in the WiiU eShop is hacky as poo poo.

It very much is, which I think is why people have had success importing hacked ones into their Wii.

I think the way it more or less works is that the Wii hardware itself contains the "ticket" information which effectively does the handshake with Nintendo to validate what games it owns (and is thus allowed to re-download) without any real oversight or cross-check with a purchase record. So the end user had physical and, once softmodded, total access to the Wii's ticket system so welp.

The Wii U's system involved a super-hacky "import" process where you had to swap SD cards around between the two systems, and while it was supposed to remove the games from the OG Wii it turns out if you had them copied to another SD card and popped that into your Wii afterwards they would still work (but IIRC visiting the Wii Shop Channel would erase them all, although that may have required them being transferred to internal storage).

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

evobatman posted:

A used Wii I bought had like $15 in Wii shop credit on it. Guess I'll have to find something to spend it on.

Also, do what I did and pull a PVM out of the electronics recycling, it's FREE! And if you're in Europe, go pick up a Bang & Olufsen CRT TV from your local Craigslist equivalent.

To expand on this I recommend a VX4000 (i think that's right) a beovision 3 or if you have the room an Avant, MAKE SURE THEY COME WITH A CONTROL.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I haven't been following the SNES mini story. Is the Nintendo line that they'll actually be attainable and in stock eventually, or should I just resign myself to pay a lot for this thing?

Pretty much looking to ditch my SNES+flashcart at some point in favour of a RetroPi or Euro/JP SNES Mini at some point in the future.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Martytoof posted:

So I haven't been following the SNES mini story. Is the Nintendo line that they'll actually be attainable and in stock eventually, or should I just resign myself to pay a lot for this thing?

Pretty much looking to ditch my SNES+flashcart at some point in favour of a RetroPi or Euro/JP SNES Mini at some point in the future.

What happened to your obscenely-tall avatar? :stonk:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Martytoof posted:

It's nowhere near as bad as the NES Classic was. Still took effort but not to an unreasonable degree, and stores are meant to be getting more fairly consistently this time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What happened to your obscenely-tall avatar? :stonk:

It'll make a triumphant return once it's sufficiently retro.

univbee posted:

It's nowhere near as bad as the NES Classic was. Still took effort but not to an unreasonable degree, and stores are meant to be getting more fairly consistently this time.

OK so I guess I'll try to hawk stock levels this time around. Thanks!

e: Oh I forgot I need to hawk JP/EU stores because I want the euro/SFC look :|

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 29, 2017

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Zamujasa posted:

The sd2snes is real cool and it's now really easy to make your menu real cool too.

The tragedy is that none of the linked examples have XML or whatever to download! :saddowns:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Why Spend $80 on an SNES Classic When You Can Install Emulators on a Raspberry Pi and Never Shut the gently caress Up About It?

Nintendo’s highly coveted SNES Classic Mini system comes out today and is certain to be a hot item. A word of advice to gamers who aren’t able to land an SNES Classic: did you know you can just buy a Raspberry Pi and remind people at every opportunity how much loving better you are for it?

You’ve probably seen people on forums sharing their excitement for the $79.99 collectible mini-console, but we both know they’re wrong for wanting a product that’s not a cheap all-in-one computer running a Linux distro off a MicroSD card.

The process is so goddamn simple, why would anyone bother clicking “Buy” on Amazon and having the Super NES Classic delivered to their front door? Just order yourself a Raspberry Pi (but make sure it’s the one with HDMI out and has the MicroSD card reader, don’t accidentally get one of the industrial ones, unless you like soldering—which you know I do!).

After it arrives, get a MicroSD card and load NOOBS on it. You can also buy a MicroSD card with NOOBS pre-installed, if you want to miss the loving point entirely.

Find a good emulator online, like RetroPie, and place your ROMs in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes and your controller configurations in /opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes. You don’t even technically need a controller, you can easily set it up to run on a just keyboard and a good batch of superiority. Can the SNES Classic do that? No loving way.

Speaking of which, some have said that the SNES Classic’s two controllers are an advantage, as if you can’t get USB controllers that look exactly the same as SNES controllers. Plus they’re only like $10 so when they break after a week they’re super easy to replace.

ROMs are easy to find on any torrent site, but make sure you’re running AdBlock. The torrent files for a lot of SNES ROMs will probably trigger your anti-virus software, so make sure you disable it beforehand. Do you like other systems? How about Neo-Geo? Or NES? Load up the complete library. It’s as easy as unpacking the tarball and installing the ROMs into the assigned directory from the command line. Child’s play.

Now that you’ve downloaded and installed all of your favorite SNES roms, all that’s left is closing your emulator and finding a forum or article where people are expressing joy about something. If you followed all of the steps correctly, you’ll be ridiculing people for the way they pursue their hobbies in no time!

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-gently caress/

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
if only both sides of this debate could ever shut the gently caress up

sure, it's annoying to listen to some know-it-all berate someone else for wanting to get the SNES whatever

it's also annoying as gently caress to listen to everyone whining that they aren't getting their SNES whatever day one when they drove to three Best Buys to get in midnight lines to get them

people have no chill for Nintendo and I'm not gonna say that's the ultimate cause of the scalpers, but drat if they don't know how to take advantage of that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm waiting for the snes mini to get hacked so I can install a bunch of games on it and sell my snes and games

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
With the Wii Shop closing I'm at least confident enough that pirates have got poo poo archived and things won't be lost to the void, but I'm wondering if Wii homebrew every got to the point where you can run Wiiware directly from SD/USB or do you still need to install it to the limited internal memory and constantly swap what's installed if you have that full?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm waiting for the snes mini to get hacked so I can install a bunch of games on it and sell my snes and games

IIRC it's already hacked with the same method as the NES was.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

With the Wii Shop closing I'm at least confident enough that pirates have got poo poo archived and things won't be lost to the void, but I'm wondering if Wii homebrew every got to the point where you can run Wiiware directly from SD/USB or do you still need to install it to the limited internal memory and constantly swap what's installed if you have that full?

The last time I messed with it (which was probably a good 2 years ago) this was no longer an issue, you just had to do the initial install to the internal memory; once it was there and working you could use the Wii UI to move it to the SD card and it'd work launched from the SD card submenu.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Martytoof posted:

IIRC it's already hacked with the same method as the NES was.

They even left a have fun message in the NAND.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Luigi Thirty posted:

They even left a have fun message in the NAND.

Go on?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
My overseas order from FNAC is apparently out for delivery today, I figured I was going to have to wait a few weeks to get it... not have it apparently arrive on day of release. My backup Walmart order won't even get to me until next week...

falz posted:

Go on?

It basically just said to enjoy your SNES classic edition

edit: Ya, thats it
VVVVVVVVVVV

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 29, 2017

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It was this: https://twitter.com/Cluster_M/status/913041366275575809

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was a similar message in the NES Classic.

https://twitter.com/bakueikozo/status/817293451813220352

Hanafuda, along with being a reference to Nintendo's origins, seems to be the general umbrella project codename for all their Virtual Console/Emulation stuff. The internal DS emulator on the Wii U (apparently called Hachihachi internally) also has references to Hanafuda in its development text.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 29, 2017

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Welp, new thread title.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

With the Wii's store going down in the next few months, are there any games worth buying that are hard to get physical or other VC copies of?

Like, I have Dracula X Chronicles, should I jump on Rondo of Blood anyway? Other than Zelda games, I am not a die hard enough fan of anything for needing the perfect original game if a remake or newer one is close enough (story line, gameplay, etc.).

Any other scenarios like that?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Whatever you do, don't expect any purchases there to mean anything other than installation on that Wii (unless you have a Wii U to later import to, or are doing this through a vWii). The store's actually in all honesty a pain in the rear end because it's still a relic using points which you can't obtain "round" numbers of; SNES games are 800 points and buying points is in units of 1000, generally, so you'd have to buy exactly 5 SNES games (not 4 or 6) to cleanly "0" your points balance with a purchase of 2x2000 points.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Luckily, backing up your Wii purchases is entirely possible if you have a 2 GB SD card and a copy of Smash Bros Brawl.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

univbee posted:

Whatever you do, don't expect any purchases there to mean anything other than installation on that Wii (unless you have a Wii U to later import to, or are doing this through a vWii). The store's actually in all honesty a pain in the rear end because it's still a relic using points which you can't obtain "round" numbers of; SNES games are 800 points and buying points is in units of 1000, generally, so you'd have to buy exactly 5 SNES games (not 4 or 6) to cleanly "0" your points balance with a purchase of 2x2000 points.

Ya, thats the only reason I haven't bought some games since I was waiting to put a list together to 0 points out if I could (also waiting to see what gets put on later consoles, but who knows what will happen with the Switch after the WiiU not getting the same library as the Wii did). I think I even have 200 points balance on the Wii portion of my WiiU after I transferred over from my Wii (now just a GC for my LCD tv).

Instant Sunrise posted:

Luckily, backing up your Wii purchases is entirely possible if you have a 2 GB SD card and a copy of Smash Bros Brawl.

I don't hang on to SSB games since I rarely play them with any regularity. Just N64 version and whatever is the newest. Though, my WiiVC library isn't that big anyway so it wouldn't be devastating if I lost it.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

FireMrshlBill posted:

With the Wii's store going down in the next few months, are there any games worth buying that are hard to get physical or other VC copies of?

Like, I have Dracula X Chronicles, should I jump on Rondo of Blood anyway? Other than Zelda games, I am not a die hard enough fan of anything for needing the perfect original game if a remake or newer one is close enough (story line, gameplay, etc.).

Any other scenarios like that?

Grab Castlevania Rebirth before it goes, is my recommendation

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Playing the latest Danganronpa put me in a very weird nostalgia for something that has almost nothing to do with the series (maybe the original PSP versions)? Which is that I kind of like when a console reads a disc and you can hear (and even slightly feel) it working. I don't know why but I'm more tolerant of load times if there's that accompanying "yes I'm really really working hard to get this data for you" vibe. Probably from playing old adventure games as a kid off 5.25" floppies on an 8086 and having screen transitions be loud and powerful-feeling enough to scare a Dreamcast. I get that same vibe from PS1, Dreamcast and PSP UMD games (probably would from some other systems like the PS2 as well, but those systems are the ones I played most), as well as Laserdiscs which always felt like some mad scientist experiment whose centrifugal force was this close to catastrophically failing and killing everyone watching the movie. Reminds me a bit of a "How Did This Get Made?" podcast live show where one of the hosts spent a few minutes nostalgic for the 80's phone experience (the weight of the receiver, the thick spiral cord, the "ka-chunk" when you hung it up or picked it up).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

sinepost posted:

Grab Castlevania Rebirth before it goes, is my recommendation

Definitely. All 3 of the Rebirth games are must-plays. M2 mini-masterpieces with amazing soundtracks. I imagine the process was "what if these were actual Konami arcade games from the late 80's/early 90's? what would they sound like?". Thus they engineered their driver to sound like a FM synth + PCM setup, with orchestra hits aplenty. I only just learned about that word recently, for a long time I called it the "Konami sound". When I first played this in 2010 or whenever, I thought "why does this sound like a Genesis game?" but after I started learning about arcade stuff, it made a lot more sense.

As far as I know, the Rebirth games are Wii-exclusive.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

Ofecks posted:

Definitely. All 3 of the Rebirth games are must-plays. M2 mini-masterpieces with amazing soundtracks.

Yeah, even the music they didn't end up using is incredible: https://youtube.com/watch?v=WkxpLVYoz1Q

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Rirse posted:

It has a button for degausing, but it doesn't seem to do anything, even after moving the speakers away. It seem to started the last few days, as it was very faint but now is very obvious in-game.

I don't know why this works (the magnetic fields of the Earth or some poo poo?) but I had this problem on my 2530 for a long time until I moved it to another part of the room and oriented it differently, and now it's just perfect for some reason.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheRedEye posted:

I don't know why this works (the magnetic fields of the Earth or some poo poo?) but I had this problem on my 2530 for a long time until I moved it to another part of the room and oriented it differently, and now it's just perfect for some reason.

When I was a training to be a Dell phone support tech in the very early 2000s, my class was told a story (to illustrate the idea of considering all factors, even non-obvious ones, while troubleshooting).

Anyhow, being the early 2000s, CRT monitors were the norm. And this one customer was having a problem with the image on every monitor he received from Dell being all distorted and messed up. Lots of swaps and all that, no change, and then I guess a tech finally asked him if this problem occurred with any other screens in his house.

Sure enough, his TV (also a CRT, of course, since 2000s) exhibited the same issue. Apparently, the ground beneath his house was magnetic as all hell, able to create a field large enough to passively affect any magnetic sensitive equipment. I guess the resolution was that the guy had to buy an LCD monitor, which back then was a big deal.

Anyhow, could be true, could be apocryphal...but it might be an actual thing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Speaking of Wii Shop closing, I forgot that my 3DS told me that Nintendo's shutting down the Miiverse too. I guess they're done trying to support all these hodge podged online services?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Speaking of Wii Shop closing, I forgot that my 3DS told me that Nintendo's shutting down the Miiverse too. I guess they're done trying to support all these hodge podged online services?

The reason for getting rid of Miiverse and not having an equivalent on the Switch is because the cost of moderating/censoring all of the posts was very expensive as they had to pay people to do it instead of creating algorithms.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FanaticalMilk posted:

The reason for getting rid of Miiverse and not having an equivalent on the Switch is because the cost of moderating/censoring all of the posts was very expensive as they had to pay people to do it instead of creating algorithms.

In other words "Nintendo was lazy and cheap, but wants to maintain the fiction they're For The Kids instead of being 95% for adults at this point".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's not shutting down Miiverse because they're cheap, they're shutting it down because they want their customers to post about their games on public-facing social media and not walled communities where everyone is already sold on the product.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo's not shutting down Miiverse because they're cheap, they're shutting it down because they want their customers to post about their games on public-facing social media and not walled communities where everyone is already sold on the product.

also because they don't have to pay people to moderate twitter and facebook posts, though

don't underestimate how expensive it is to censor dick drawings on the internet. companies have gone under due to that poo poo

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/theres-a-directional-120-hdmi-cable-that-actually-improves-your-picture-quality/

You guys hear about these $120 hdmi cables that perform some form of Anti Aliasing? I'd consider it at like 50 bux for a couple consoles. Right now it's the worst deal in cables since the GCN Component

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Tree Dude posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/theres-a-directional-120-hdmi-cable-that-actually-improves-your-picture-quality/

You guys hear about these $120 hdmi cables that perform some form of Anti Aliasing? I'd consider it at like 50 bux for a couple consoles. Right now it's the worst deal in cables since the GCN Component

I literally couldn't see any difference in the pictures until I zoomed in like 300%. :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think breaking the Wii U further is particularly useful to advertising Wii U games, which are discontinued. They're just being cheap and shutting down a cost related to their failed console.

Also explain why Splatoon 2 brings in "the Miiverse in game but not the Miiverse for anything else" on the Switch under this logic?

• Locked thread